sorry if this has been asked before- I've been searching forums and haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

I love TeleNav- works great, accurate, voice turn-by-turn, hardly drops out. but I don't use it that often to justify $10 a month... unless I can't find a free replacement.

BB Maps is ok, I tried infospace and google maps.. just not what I'm after.

any suggestions?

oh, and is there any way to save these apps to my media card instead of device memory? or.. if I load to my memory card, will they run from there.. like an external drive does for a computer..
    10-15-08 08:46 PM
    Nav4All and amAze are free alternatives that may be worth your time to consider. Apps generally can't be run from a Media card. TrekBuddy is one GPS/Mapping app that lets you download maps in advance and store them on a Media Card, for use in areas where you don't have cell coverage. TrekBuddy has to run in device memory, but it uses the card for its maps. All the other mapping apps download their maps in real time, cache them in device memory, and delete the old ones to make room for newer ones, so they don't completely fill up your memory.
    10-15-08 10:58 PM
    I just installed Nav4All and it seems to work fairly nice. I'll post an update if that changes.
    10-16-08 08:42 AM
    Nav4All and amAze are free alternatives that may be worth your time to consider.
    I tried amAze and either it wouldn't connect with my GPS puck or it wouldn't load the directions or maps. This was not handy last night in Middle-Of-Nowhere, Maine and lost. I quickly dl and reinstalled TeleNav.

I love TeleNav- never has failed me. I suppose that is worth $10 a month, no matter how little I use it.
    10-18-08 10:17 AM
    Nav4All and amAze are free alternatives that may be worth your time to consider. Apps generally can't be run from a Media card. TrekBuddy is one GPS/Mapping app that lets you download maps in advance and store them on a Media Card, for use in areas where you don't have cell coverage. TrekBuddy has to run in device memory, but it uses the card for its maps. All the other mapping apps download their maps in real time, cache them in device memory, and delete the old ones to make room for newer ones, so they don't completely fill up your memory.
    I agree. I've used both. Currently using Nav4All synced with my Freedom Keychain GPS Receiver and it works like a charm. Op, good luck
    10-18-08 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD