[Telegram]: A ,000 Contest For Blackberry Engineers-img_20141114_020652.png

Sounds like we will have a Native app soon

Link: https://telegram.org/blog/blackberry-contest

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:20 PM
    That's awesome. If it's successful maybe more will do this.

But one big question: who will support the app after the contest is over?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 11-13-14 at 05:37 PM.
    11-13-14 05:26 PM
    [Telegram]: A ,000 Contest For Blackberry Engineers-img_20141114_024303.png

Adrian Sacchi, developer of IGRANN is in

Here is one great developer

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:45 PM
    He has an incentive now? The app should be developed a long time ago but he kept postponing it.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:49 PM
    Amazing.. shocking that bigger companies won't just do the same. Especially considering the need to make their social networks mulit platform. I'm looking at you LINE, PATH and Kakotalk.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:11 PM
    He has an incentive now? The app should be developed a long time ago but he kept postponing it.

Posted via CB10
    Time is money

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    meltedice likes this.
    11-13-14 08:37 PM
    Why doesn't telegram develop themselves?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 09:30 PM
    Why doesn't telegram develop themselves?
    I was wondering about that as well. Looking at the contest rules and the mockup UI, they must have spent some time with the SDK already to reproduce it. They even created custom icons for it. Would it have been so much more expensive to develop the app themselves from that point on?

But one big question: who will support the app after the contest is over?
    They will probably take over themselves. The Windows Phone app was rebranded afterwards.
    11-13-14 09:49 PM
    Hmm smell something fishy

Sentt frrom myy BlaackBerrryy Q10 (10.3.1.1016) on Globe-Telecom
    11-13-14 09:52 PM
    I was wondering about that as well. Looking at the contest rules and the mockup UI, they must have spent some time with the SDK already to reproduce it. They even created custom icons for it. Would it have been so much more expensive to develop the app themselves from that point on?
    This is a pretty quick, cheap, low risk way of getting an app done. Maybe even more than one app that they will be able to choose from.

A lot of developers at companies like this would rather spend time learning about wearables or mastering Swift or Angular 2 or all the other new things that keep us up (in a good way) at night. Learning Cascades or remembering C++ again is not high on most people's personal advancement agendas unless they are already BlackBerry fans.

I still worry about long term support though. Keeping this app up to date along with their iOS and Android apps will still take time and money and developers who know the platform. I wonder if they will just hire the indie who submits the winning app.

11-14-14 12:40 AM
    This is a pretty quick, cheap, low risk way of getting an app done. Maybe even more than one app that they will be able to choose from.

A lot of developers at companies like this would rather spend time learning about wearables or mastering Swift or Angular 2 or all the other new things that keep us up (in a good way) at night. Learning Cascades or remembering C++ again is not high on most people's personal advancement agendas unless they are already BlackBerry fans.

I still worry about long term support though. Keeping this app up to date along with their iOS and Android apps will still take time and money and developers who know the platform. I wonder if they will just hire the indie who submits the winning app.
    I think you’re right about the risk and minimal expenditure. But eventually they will have to hire a developer who will be able to continue the work and stay on top of things, not to mention that the app will probably undergo some changes before final release. Also, there is already one Qt-based source code available on their website.
    11-14-14 03:41 PM
    Or they could just do it themselves LAZY

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 03:56 PM
    Or they could just do it themselves LAZY
    You could write the app yourself and get your share of the $50k.

Last edited by app_Developer; 11-16-14 at 11:00 AM.
    11-14-14 06:53 PM