Hello

Apparently via social media or whatever, the "old blackberry's" (with keyboards) are a "cool thing" to have with the teenagers. I fished an old one out of a drawer, long out of use, and charged it, and connected to Wi-Fi. It appears 3G only, and is asking for a SIM card.

Do ANY models (the Classic?) still work? even if "not reliably."

We think it would be cool to put a prepaid SIM card and play around with it.

Thank you
    01-15-23 04:51 PM
    Hello

Apparently via social media or whatever, the "old blackberry's" (with keyboards) are a "cool thing" to have with the teenagers. I fished an old one out of a drawer, long out of use, and charged it, and connected to Wi-Fi. It appears 3G only, and is asking for a SIM card.

Thank you
    What country and carrier?
    01-15-23 07:32 PM
    USA, GSM device. Blackberry Model 9000
    01-15-23 07:47 PM
    Hello

Thank you
    My Q10 still works great for phone calls and texts. The camera works great and I can send and receive pictures via text. That is as of yesterday and I live in Erie, PA and my carrier is T-Mobile. Without having existing T-Mobile service, you can go online to T-Mobile and give them the phone's IMEI number and they will tell you in seconds whether you can get service on T-Mobile.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-15-23 09:32 PM
    USA, GSM device. Blackberry Model 9000
    That one is a no go in USA since all carriers have shutdown 3G and earlier while BlackBerry shutdown everything including BIS on their side.

If you got a Classic, you might get some possible use on TMO but VoLTE is a real long shot.
    01-15-23 09:36 PM
    Hello

Thank you
    Still work.... I get one of the newer Android versions of a BlackBerry.

The even older BBOS and BB10 phones, it will depend on where you are and if your carrier supports the bands. In the USA... that's a no, they would be WiFi only.
    01-16-23 07:43 AM
    Not to mention you'd probably need one that doesn't have a BBID on it.

Also don't expect good battery life as all those are well beyond 8 years old by now, at best.

It would absolutely be a hobby phone so I wouldn't spend more than $60 on one.

Sent from a slab for now
    01-16-23 08:01 AM
    That one is a no go in USA since all carriers have shutdown 3G and earlier while BlackBerry shutdown everything including BIS on their side.

If you got a Classic, you might get some possible use on TMO but VoLTE is a real long shot.
    I have a classic/passport/priv. While the priv still can handle HD calling, the other two will connect 4 GLTE until you make a call then it falls back the HSPD or Extended. So yes calls are possible but not very good and then you loose data. In an emergency these phones should not be relied on
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-16-23 02:42 PM
    My Q10 still works great for phone calls and texts. The camera works great and I can send and receive pictures via text. That is as of yesterday and I live in Erie, PA and my carrier is T-Mobile. Without having existing T-Mobile service, you can go online to T-Mobile and give them the phone's IMEI number and they will tell you in seconds whether you can get service on T-Mobile.
    I assure you, my Q10 does not drop calls or struggle to find a signal. I routinely drive between Buffalo, NY - Pittsburgh PA - Cleveland OH and I'd say my coverage may not be what it was 10 years ago, but there is practically no difference between 1 year ago and today. I can not speak to the Q10's internet abilities because I have just used it as a phone - texting device.
    01-16-23 10:44 PM
    I assure you, my Q10 does not drop calls or struggle to find a signal. I routinely drive between Buffalo, NY - Pittsburgh PA - Cleveland OH and I'd say my coverage may not be what it was 10 years ago, but there is practically no difference between 1 year ago and today. I can not speak to the Q10's internet abilities because I have just used it as a phone - texting device.
    Officially T-Mobile 3G network is no more, but in reality it's still up and running in many places... seems to be more of a phased shutdown. Expect that has more to do with IoT than with phones. Also their 2G network is up and they haven't updated their plans for shutting it down... based on my area, think it has to do either with marine traffic or military.
    boogywstew and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-17-23 07:31 AM
    An 'old BlackBerry' would probably be a BBOS model, which uses 3G or 2G. They can be used as a Wi-Fi device or MP3 player even with no network or SIM.
    01-27-23 10:08 AM
    An 'old BlackBerry' would probably be a BBOS model, which uses 3G or 2G. They can be used as a Wi-Fi device or MP3 player even with no network or SIM.
    At this point both BBOS and BB10 are the 'old BlackBerry', as for the last few years before BlackBerry ended their phone division and later their licensing... they only sold Android phones

OP lived in the USA, had a 9000 and was asking about a Classic... Both in pretty much the same boat as the OP stated he was in the USA. Neither the 9000 he had in a drawer or the Classic he was thinking about would really be able to us a SIM Card here. I know a few are still using T-Mobile, but time is running out there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-27-23 10:37 AM