From MSNBC tech blog

Teen charged for inciting riots using BlackBerry
    By Rosa Golijan

An 18-year-old girl has been charged for using her BlackBerry smartphone to intentionally encourage rioting in the United Kingdom. Yes, her case specifically lists the BlackBerry Messenger service as the tool used to incite the criminal behavior.

According to The Telegraph, the girl sent a message to her friends encouraging them to "copy [the] scenes of violence and looting that were spreading across England." Thanks to the Serious Crime Act 2007, this move left her vulnerable to criminal prosecution.

While the girl's case is one of the first to specifically cite the BlackBerry Messenger service, it is certainly not the only one. A 27-year-old man is also facing similar charges.

It's worth noting that these charges are being announced after Research In Motion, the maker of BlackBerry technology, vowed to cooperate with authorities — who blame the BlackBerry Messenger service for enabling rioters to quickly and easily organize themselves.
    08-12-11 01:08 PM
    Good.
    10 Characters
    08-12-11 02:33 PM
    I use BBM to chat with friends and family, cool. I use BBM to wreak havoc, jail. That's how it should be. Period.
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    08-12-11 02:49 PM
    Finally about time

At least 95% of people use it sensibly.

I do wish though people would stop blaming BBM its not RIM's fault they have a fantastic product. People are only blaming it because its not publicly view able but at the end of the day its the small minority of people using it for such pointless vandalism we need to blame. Not RIM as they work with the authorities when they need too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    08-12-11 03:00 PM
    This is always going to be a very tricky question. I don't want my privacy to be invaded because some people use technology to incite trouble. But on the other hand these people need to be punished. Never an easy way out of these situations.
    08-12-11 03:21 PM
    Any publicity is good publicity right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 03:26 PM
    This is always going to be a very tricky question. I don't want my privacy to be invaded because some people use technology to incite trouble. But on the other hand these people need to be punished. Never an easy way out of these situations.
    I think this is a difficult area but it's right to have accountability, I absolutly support that BBM should give up this information, the forensic recovery of this type of crime is essential in bringing this mindless behaviour to book. Not wishing to hyjack the post, but not one of us would think twice about the ability to use technology to bring a paedophile to book for example. Thankfully RIMM takes it's social and legal obligation seriously dispite blackmail threats to staff. As I'm from the UK I would like to thank this site for it's Global support.
    08-12-11 03:43 PM
    Well it is private, and it is encrypted. Its not like this info is going to be handed around as standard practice. In extreme situations like these, i would gladly let somebody read the hot chat i had the night before if it means prosecuting asshats like that.
    08-12-11 09:01 PM
    Well I tend to agree with the above posts mostly. And I also agree that this is a very difficult subject to deal with.
    However, I can't help feeling that lately Governments around the world use every excuse to ban private conversation and legally allow a Big Brother State. This to me would be the real abyss.
    There have been riots before BBM ever existed and there are riots in countries where there is no BBM and there will still be riots even if BBM was banned globally.
    Rioting is temporary mob mentality when people get the feeling that they will not have to face up to their actions together with being part of a group which can take on authorities. The "science" of rioting can be better explained by a Social Scientist, which I'm not.
    I feel that genuine rioters were not hanging around street corners BBMing other rioters to join in. They were too busy fighting, burning and stealing.
    Many of the BBM's would have been from people prone to making extreme statements. It's like those statements that the best cure for the problems in some country is to Nuke the entire area. Shocking statement, but a pointless one as the ones making the statement don't have the power to do anything and just make those statements due to their personal anger/feelings.
    Studies have shown that rioting is best controlled by swift action by government forces (police,paramilitary etc) and swift mass arrests so that people do not get a feeling that they can get away with it.
    No one is bringing up one fact that the British Govt establishment was completely missing in action during the first 3 days. The police response was inadequate. The police was not armed. It would have been hilarious if so many people had not suffered. I feel odd saying this but I guess India responds better to these situations. India has a Central Reserve Police Force which is under the direct command of the central government. It has been formed for the specific purpose of controlling riots and the members are drawn from the Army.
    The force is deployed in a city where there is rioting or threat of rioting in a matter of hours not days. And the force being a paramilitary force is armed with automatic weapons and depending upon the situation they may be given orders to shoot at sight.
    You don't let a city go amok for 4 days and then complain that communication was the reason and then use it as an excuse to enter into people's private lives.
    It's a short step away from complete censorship and a police state.
    However, this Privacy vs. Greater good debate will always be a tricky subject to handle and even I myself don't know which side I'm on and the debate is far from closed. It's just that I would like to point out logical flaws in the arguments from either side.
    And as a final note, I think the people of London should be questioning their government where it was sleeping for 4 days and why their response was poorer than a third world nation? Let the govt answer this before they make a case for Banning/intercepting BBM or other forms of communication. Don't let them sidestep the issue.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 08-13-11 at 04:41 AM.
    08-13-11 03:01 AM
    I bet she regrets not setting a password now lol

08-13-11 03:11 AM
    What would a password do? BBM messages travel through the RIM NOC. RIM does not even need the device in hand to tell exactly who said what to who.
    08-13-11 05:32 AM
    What would a password do? BBM messages travel through the RIM NOC. RIM does not even need the device in hand to tell exactly who said what to who.
    Because the report does not say RIM gave the police any information. They could of just been easily stopped for something else the police checked their phone and saw the bbm.
    08-13-11 08:10 AM
    No, they can"t. Location only.

RIM cannot give a phone company access to their servers. Do you not remember the Middle East debacle? Certain companies wanting to keep tabs on their subscribers and other governments wanting to know what BBM users were typing.
    08-13-11 09:53 AM
    It does not matter what tool or technology you use. If you commit a crime or incite them you should be held RESPONSIBLE.

08-13-11 10:31 AM
    maybe they should monitor BBM like they do with phone calls and have a list of choice words. heres the question, if this happened later and people were useing the imessenger would it be such a huge thing? it just so happends that blackberry is so popular and easy to use that they are useing it lol.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    08-13-11 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD