Crackberry should make a section where people can post their tales of doom and betrayal and how RIM doesn't know what they are doing.
    That section already exists.

CrackBerry.com – The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    02-02-11 05:49 AM
    My father-in-law is one of the people you describe. He owns a 30 person software company, has a degree in electronics and cut his tech teeth many years ago writing drivers for mainframe disk packs. I have been in the hardware/software industry for over 30 years.

And we both hate our Storms. With my Storm 2 I graduated to a love/hate relationship.

My wife has very light needs for her Storm - uses it for texting, email, and as a phone. She's happy - not in love, but she'll still date it. lol

Not disputing you know people satisfied with their phone. But from what I've seen it's not technical expertise that's the common thread - it's not asking much from the device.

Lower expectations = higher satisfaction.

- R.
    I know several very successful "technical" entrepreneurs who are still very much Blackberry fans. Being "technical" vs "artistic" does not dictate the type of phone one has. Personal preference does, and in certain circles...peer pressure.

It's not about expectation vs satisfaction it's about reality vs satisfaction. If it were expectation vs satisfaction than all phones to me are a fail, because a battery doesn't last a week and the phones don't have the processing power of a supercomputer. My expectation is that todays phones should? And therefore all are a fail. But that type of reasoning is just plain silly.

The reality is: if you phones does what you want, how you want, you will be satisified. If the phone doesn't work for you for whatever reason, you will be unsatisified.
    02-02-11 07:43 AM
    Tell me why I should put any stock in what somebody's father-in-law thinks when I can get all the techie expertise I need from Howard Stern.

Anyway, it's pretty commonly accepted that the Storm 1 was not one of RIM's best efforts. It was its first dabbling in touch screens and their first effort to try to bridge the business user/consumer gap. I won't call it a fail, because a lot of people do like them. But to suggest the fate of the whole company is based on that one poor example of its value proposition is just ludicrous. As a business phone, basically any other number in RIM's arsenal would have been better suited for that. JMOFHO.

Best of luck with his iP4.
    +1 you are so on the money.
    02-02-11 07:53 AM
    Dude, your pops-in-law talks to you super formally - does he not like you or something?
    02-02-11 07:23 PM
    The 8th sign of the apocalypse, JoelTruckerDude has thanked 67Tucker.
    02-02-11 07:35 PM
    OH NO!!!! THE END IS NEAR FOR RIM!!?? That's it I am throwing my Torch away and getting Motorola Backflip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wait! NO!!!! Get one of those Gingerbread of Honeycomb or Blueberry Muffin or Honey Bunches of Oats devices!!!! You can make calls *and* have lunch!!!
    02-03-11 12:20 PM
    The 8th sign of the apocalypse, JoelTruckerDude has thanked 67Tucker.
    Nah, that'll be the day *I* thank Tucker....
    02-03-11 12:21 PM
    Yeah, this is silly. Someone's "father-in-law" with only half a dozen storms for a small company means RIM is on it's last leg?

If your so-called "highly technical" brother-in-law knew anything for business, he'd know the blackberry platform has the best, and most secure communication for business.

Yes, we know. Blackberry has 'old' technology in it. Yes, they should get with the times. I myself have looked toward an android platform, but definitely not for business - Honestly, I looked because my Tour is old and it was a bad model, and I wouldn't mind having a bunch of apps to entertain me during slow times at work. But for actual functionality and real businesses getting work done and communicating, blackberry can't be beat. Which is why I stay on blackberry. It gets too much work done for me to justify buying an android or iphone just to have fun on.

For non-business users those are great platforms. For business users, there isn't any other really viable option. Granted, RIM does need to step up the hardware and software; but they announced new bb's coming soon so that's covered.

Tell your in-laws to keep the berries for business. Upgrade to a bold, and then carry whatever phone they want for personal and playtoy use.
    option for what? What is it that the BB can do that other device can't do? BES? Exchange server can do what BES does. BB's are just low end smartphones that corporate or people who want to look important carry around.
    02-04-11 11:26 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD