01-13-12 08:09 PM
61 123
tools
    It was extremely unprofessional and distasteful. BUT...

The "interviewer" ask one question that matters. The real problem with the interview was the lack of a good answer. The question was what does RIM have that's new. The answer was essentially email on the PB. It is impossible to make email sound new and interesting no matter how many refinements it has. He also got caught up trying to describe the unified inbox. The "interviewers" basically said that was just like WP7. I would add that it is even more like WebOS synergy. The RIM rep admitted that everyone had a version of it, but it was new to RIM.

The behavior of the interviewers was quite atrocious. But we should not obscure the real issue. When RIM is faced with the simple question of what do you have new to show us, they didn't have an answer, somewhat justifying the prejudice that people have towards them. The way to beat prejudice is to prove it wrong, not live down to the worst stereotypes.
    I think he did pretty good in the face of that kind of open non serious mockery.

But what RIM does have that is new and he should have mentioned is:

PlayBook OS 2. PlayBook was device of choice in that AT&T hack-a-thon event. In fact two of the three finalists used PlayBooks.

Other than unified messaging on the PlayBook, BlackBerry Remote. Undeniably cool.

For corporate users Blackberry Balance. Nothing like it.

BlackBerry Tag which enables NFC data transfer across every BlackBerry that is being made worldwide with OS 7. (right?)

Just several notable things. That's quite a lot though in my opinion. He should have mentioned all that.
    01-12-12 03:51 PM
    I think he did pretty good in the face of that kind of open non serious mockery.

But what RIM does have that is new and he should have mentioned is:

PlayBook OS 2. PlayBook was device of choice in that AT&T hack-a-thon event. In fact two of the three finalists used PlayBooks.

Other than unified messaging on the PlayBook, BlackBerry Remote. Undeniably cool.

For corporate users Blackberry Balance. Nothing like it.

BlackBerry Tag which enables NFC data transfer across every BlackBerry that is being made worldwide with OS 7. (right?)

Just several notable things. That's quite a lot though in my opinion. He should have mentioned all that.
    Good thoughts. The problem with using those items to answer the question is that those are not readily accessible answers for consumers. No consumer cares about enterprise stuff. NFC? Consumers hear mobile payments. What is data transfer to a consumer? Every platform has multiple ways of sharing data. You have to explain why NFC data transfer is special. Remote? Consumers hear changing the channel on a TV. Why would they want to use the keyboard on one device they likely don't have to type things on another device that, itself, has a keyboard? None of these things are easy to talk about as new consumer innovations at a consumer electronics show.

The easiest things for them to talk about that consumers might be interested in are email and Angry Birds. All consumer tablets have email and PIM. And let's face it, all the apps RIM is so excited by right now were old on the platform they debuted on three years ago.
    01-12-12 04:02 PM
    Good thoughts. The problem with using those items to answer the question is that those are not readily accessible answers for consumers. No consumer cares about enterprise stuff. NFC? Consumers hear mobile payments. What is data transfer to a consumer? Every platform has multiple ways of sharing data. You have to explain why NFC data transfer is special. Remote? Consumers hear changing the channel on a TV. Why would they want to use the keyboard on one device they likely don't have to type things on another device that, itself, has a keyboard? None of these things are easy to talk about as new consumer innovations at a consumer electronics show.

The easiest things for them to talk about that consumers might be interested in are email and Angry Birds. All consumer tablets have email and PIM. And let's face it, all the apps RIM is so excited by right now were old on the platform they debuted on three years ago.
    Not everything shown at CES is totally consumer oriented. And that is not RIM's primary market anyway in the US.

Aside from that, the ability to transfer pics and vids between all OS 7 BlackBerrys (not just some but all) is definitely a family friendly feature. In fact I plan to upgrade my wife's phone to an OS 7 device to get it.

He should have set them up to talk to the guy that has demoed this stuff for CB Kevin. Lots of that stuff has appeal if you see it in action.
    01-12-12 04:37 PM
    What a shameful display from tech crunch. I cringed the whole time I was watching.
    01-12-12 05:19 PM
    HAHA what a bunch of *****

They probably weren't even allowed in the main Blackberry booth or they didn't even know there was one :O
    How can you think RIM's main booth was that small?
    01-12-12 05:43 PM
    Has this story been picked up by any other tech news site? About how much these people were disrespectful and drunk while attempting to do their jobs?
    I doubt it but it would be nice to read someone ripping them and their responses
    01-12-12 07:03 PM
    So they were clearly drunk when they shot the video but were they drunk when they uploaded it to the site?
    spike12 and quik4life like this.
    01-13-12 11:50 AM
    One thing is for sure, if TC is going to show that much disrespect to ANYONE, their site will never get a hit from any of my computers.
    01-13-12 12:12 PM
    Wow that was the most ignorant journalism I have ever seen. He compared an iPhone to the PlayBook about messaging. Why didn't he compare the iPhone to the Bold 9900 about messaging and push email.
    01-13-12 12:32 PM
    You really have to wonder if these two just came back from the bar. How can anyone take these folks seriously about the way they conducted themselves. They were both arrogant and ignorant in their behaviour. Not that it was BB directed but to represent the organization like that! I had to laugh at the way the fellow took on the lets go kicka$$ attitude with the BB rep. Very manly, actually both were very manly.
    01-13-12 04:37 PM
    I'm not quite sure why the British guy (Andrew Keen) claimed to be from the telegraph, I've never seen him write an article for it, and upon investigation he appears to have last written something in 2009, and is not listed as one of their journalists. Clearly he was so drunk he thought he'd gone backwards in time...
    01-13-12 08:09 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD