Ok so this thread is only for people using a BES. Yes its more secure than an iPhone in some areas when your not on a BES. But not impenetrable.
    To all: you might soon all be able to enjoy the beauty of BES ... for ~the price of BIS. Stay tuned
    TCSM: Is the BlackBerry really more secure than the iPhone?-capture1.png
    01-23-14 07:14 AM
    So no one can listen in on calls? Read your text? BBRY will give up our info id the NSA request it? You can not be effects at all by browser hacks? No password to sites can be stolen? All not on a BIS?

No cellphone that is connected using a standard wireless account can scramble voice calls unless the recipient device is specially prepared to unscramble them.

No cellphone that is connected using a standard wireless account can hide text messages from the carrier unless the recipient device is specially prepared to unscramble encrypted text messages.

No cellphone that is connected using a standard wireless account is immune to NSA snooping, though some are harder to snoop upon. (hint)

I have no idea what you mean specifically by "browser hacks". Remember that 99.2% of all mobile malware in 2013 affected Android devices. This is a far greater percentage than Android's mobile marketshare.

There are a variety of ways that passwords can be stolen, the most common one is being stupid like Sarah Palin and using easily-guessed "security questions".

Now if you want to know whether Blackberries are architecturally more secure than the competition, they are. Notwitstanding your useless examples that prove nothing.

Your examples are as if someone claiming Car A was faster than Car B was challenged "Well, does Car A travel faster than the speed of light???".

No, but it gets you there faster.
    01-23-14 07:15 AM
    The US television show TMZ reported yesterday the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department has tried for a week to access Justin Bieber's phone but has been unable to. While the graphics for the report showed an iPhone, they never actually said what phone it is. Does anyone know? I remember some threads here on CB claiming he is a BlackBerry fan.

He is a BlackBerry fan, he actually approached BlackBerry (back when they were still called Research in Motion) about the idea of getting involved with the brand, but RIM turned him down.

Justin Bieber wanted to be BlackBerry's brand ambassador | CrackBerry.com
    01-23-14 07:22 AM
    Ok so this thread is only for people using a BES.

Are you trying to troll this thread?

I cannot imagine any other reason why you would make such a nonsensical statement.
    01-23-14 07:29 AM
    For a regular user at the moment probably not much. Untill one day someone will find all the NSA backdoors and steal your money through an app that you pay with.
    No one cared about PC security untill they started stealing your credit card information and so on.
    01-23-14 07:30 AM
    I am unable to find anywhere where it discussed BB10. Even if so, IIRC, BB10 devices cannot be managed through third party MDMs (aside from EAS policies) and unlock Balance. So the 80,000 BB devices are almost certainly LEGACY BB devices, that were already present on the DoD network. So this represents a net loss, not a net gain for BlackBerry.
    01-23-14 07:33 AM
    Please refer to posts already made here over a month ago:

Post 17

Post 18

Post 32

Recommendation: read the thread.
    01-23-14 07:35 AM
    No cellphone that is connected using a standard wireless account can scramble voice calls unless the recipient device is specially prepared to unscramble them.

No cellphone that is connected using a standard wireless account can hide text messages from the carrier unless the recipient device is specially prepared to unscramble encrypted text messages.

No cellphone that is connected using a standard wireless account is immune to NSA snooping, though some are harder to snoop upon. (hint)

I have no idea what you mean specifically by "browser hacks". Remember that 99.2% of all mobile malware in 2013 affected Android devices. This is a far greater percentage than Android's mobile marketshare.

There are a variety of ways that passwords can be stolen, the most common one is being stupid like Sarah Palin and using easily-guessed "security questions".

Now if you want to know whether Blackberries are architecturally more secure than the competition, they are. Notwitstanding your useless examples that prove nothing.

Your examples are as if someone claiming Car A was faster than Car B was challenged "Well, does Car A travel faster than the speed of light???".

No, but it gets you there faster.
    I think the thread title implies when not on a BES. I've said yes it is more secure than an iPhone but it still isn't immune to snooping. If my sister were reading this thread she would think that owning a BBRY is safer than driving around in a tank which is misleading.
    01-23-14 07:36 AM
    Are you trying to troll this thread?

I cannot imagine any other reason why you would make such a nonsensical statement.
    So now having a different opinion is trolling? Fine ban me.
    01-23-14 07:39 AM
    I am unable to find anywhere where it discussed BB10. Even if so, IIRC, BB10 devices cannot be managed through third party MDMs (aside from EAS policies) and unlock Balance. So the 80,000 BB devices are almost certainly LEGACY BB devices, that were already present on the DoD network. So this represents a net loss, not a net gain for BlackBerry.

I feel like you posted in the wrong thread or something.

The recent DoD announcement does appear to have been mis-interpreted by a bunch of journalist hacks that can't read. I wrote about that here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...ml#post9889855

Though I still wouldn't call that a "net loss", as it still reminds people that BlackBerry has an edge on its competitors at DoD.

If for nothing else than being the only vendor with "Authority to Operate" permission at this time.
    01-23-14 07:40 AM
    I think the thread title implies when not on a BES.

So why would you say that the thread is "only for people on BES" then? It makes no sense whatsoever, even by your own admission above.

I've said yes it is more secure than an iPhone but it still isn't immune to snooping.

If the thread title were "Are BlackBerries immune to external snooping?", then that might be a relevant comment.

If my sister were reading this thread she would think that owning a BBRY is safer than driving around in a tank which is misleading.

Then I'd suggest you concern yourself with why your sister has a strange obsession with driving around in tanks, rather than throwing out red herring after red herring here.

So now having a different opinion is trolling? Fine ban me.

I never stated or implied that. What you said, as enumerated above, makes no sense by your own admission. Thus my question.
    01-23-14 07:45 AM
    To all: you might soon all be able to enjoy the beauty of BES ... for ~the price of BIS. Stay tuned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	618 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	240966
    You mean for free? Also will that give the push email back without having to rely on exchange?
    01-23-14 07:57 AM
    You mean for free? Also will that give the push email back without having to rely on exchange?

Already has better push email than the legacy devices in most cases. (Exception: Yahoo)
    01-23-14 08:11 AM
    Bb
    Already has better push email than the legacy devices in most cases. (Exception: Yahoo)
    For what email protocols?

Because from personal experience it's not better for POP, IMAP or IMAP IDLE.
    01-23-14 08:18 AM
    Whether or not it was/is a separate option in your bill, you actually pay for it (1-2$ / month).
    BES in the cloud will should have similar pricing.
    Not sure what you mean by push email in a modern IMAP/ActiveSync context but basically : yes. If you mean hosting the mails, AFAIK : no.

Please note that I recently enrolled in the beta program and that :
    a) I still have very limited skills about BES10
    b) I've been told (BB rep) that the beta was still missing functionalities.

edit: closer to our subject and to avoid furthermore O.T :
    proxy : yes
    vpn : yes
    encryption : yes
    balance : yes

edit 2 :
    Bb
    Because from personal experience it's not better for POP, IMAP or IMAP IDLE.
    It's server-side ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-23-14 at 08:49 AM. Reason: missing conditional
    01-23-14 08:42 AM

I suggest you pose that question for the 10,000th time in one of the existing monster threads on the subject here, because it's actually OT in this thread. I should have never posted my initial reply.
    01-23-14 08:48 AM
    Whether or not it was/is a separate option in your bill, you actually pay for it (1-2$ / month).
    BES in the cloud will should have similar pricing.
    Not sure what you mean by push email in a modern IMAP/ActiveSync context but basically : yes. If you mean hosting the mails, AFAIK : no.

Please note that I recently enrolled in the beta program and that :
    a) I still have very limited skills about BES10
    b) I've been told (BB rep) that the beta was still missing functionalities.

edit: closer to our subject and to avoid furthermore O.T :
    proxy : yes
    vpn : yes
    encryption : yes
    balance : yes

edit 2 :

It's server-side ...
    That's decent pricing but will it use the NOC as in BiS or will it rely on the email provider push (imap/exchange).

From personal experience I find BB10 imap idle push email very unreliable, saying that, iOS doesn't even support imap idle push, same email accounts only have a pool option.
    01-23-14 08:54 AM
    I suggest you pose that question for the 10,000th time in one of the existing monster threads on the subject here, because it's actually OT in this thread. I should have never posted my initial reply.
    But you did so humour me, what email protocols are pushed better on Bb10?
    01-23-14 08:57 AM
    will it use the NOC as in BiS or will it rely on the email provider push (imap/exchange)
    Damm, we're totally O.T (and I'm not supposed to publish that much captures, so you'll get a tiny one).
    How I read it is that BES accesses your mailhost and push it to your devices via Exchange ActiveSync.
    Warning : not sure about the above. Will post in a separate thread soon abt it.

TCSM: Is the BlackBerry really more secure than the iPhone?-capture.png
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-23-14 at 09:26 AM. Reason: wrong initial quote
    01-23-14 09:25 AM
    Damm, we're totally O.T (and I'm not supposed to publish that much captures, so you'll get a tiny one).
    How I read it is that BES accesses your mailhost and push it to your devices via Exchange ActiveSync.
    Warning : not sure about the above. Will post in a separate thread soon abt it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	267 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	240998
    I guess we'll have to wait until we know more. I hope they licence exchange for this and don't rely on the email account to have it because that would count me out.
    01-23-14 09:33 AM
    Over and over these ridiculous topics get posted where detractors pile on and attempt to imply that BlackBerry really doesn't have the edge on security, that apple and android security is good enough (just as good), and that Blackberry is only as secure as the others. Are people this brain dead? Do they not understand the simple concept that the NSA is a "man in the middle"? When it comes to security of communication, it's not the device where the vulnerabilities exist, it's the network, and it's the network (and services used) where some difference can be made. Not happy that your communications are being spied on by the government? First put the blame on your carrier; telecommunication carriers are the main NSA collaborators. They are the ones who have betrayed your confidence since the 1950s and continue to do so at exponentially increased levels today. Service providers like Google, yahoo, facebook, etc. are also complicit. They claim not to have known about NSA accessing their databases, but that claim is suspect. If they didn't outright know, they had to be willfully ignorant or looking the other way. Even know-nothings like myself were suspicious that this was happening, and that was several years before we had the Snowden revelations! This never crossed the minds of the executives and computer geniuses at Google, facebook, and Yahoo? Come on. And manufacturers are to blame also for allowing the NSA to influence them to use compromised technology, chips, etc.

As knowledgeable people have already pointed out more times than can be counted, BlackBerry over BES is the most secure system that enterprise can avail itself of that's practical i.e. readily avilable, cost efficient, and safe from all spying except maybe the NSA. Even NSA access depends on whether there's a back door built into BES, the possibility of which is real. But from ordinary federal, state, and local law enforcement and from other corporate and criminal spies, BES communications are certainly secure unless someone physically takes possession of the BES server.

With all the hashing over of whether communications transmitted over a telecommunications network are secure (unless on BES or otherwise encrypted they're not), the part that's usually overlooked is the security of the data stored on a device. So many people have mobile phones that mobile phone forensics has become a big deal. Entire companies have sprung up that make their livelihood extracting data from confiscated phones. Search around online, and you'll see this. Federal, state, and local governments that want to accuse you of a crime will confiscate your phone and try very hard to find out what's on it. Whether they're accusing you of something small or something major, any information they glean from a phone can bolster their case against you. It could even be instrumental in determining whether they're able to obtain a warrant to investigate further. It's already clear they can get plenty from your carriers (with a warrant), but often they need more for their investigations or to make their cases. Also, when it comes to contraband (or unapproved data), there's the element of possession. It's a biggie. Without it, their cases can be circumstantial and weak. Against ordinary federal, state, and local law enforcement, a password locked, properly configured (strong password, strongest encryption) BlackBerry handset is impenetrable. Against corporate spies, criminals, stalkers, and opportunistic snoops, a password locked, properly configured (strong password, strongest encryption) BlackBerry handset is impenetrable. The same cannot be said about apple and android devices.
    Last edited by SmellWhole; 01-23-14 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typos
    01-23-14 10:16 AM
    how bad is it for yahoo?
    01-24-14 12:03 PM
    BB10 phones that are not on BES10 are no more secure than any other phone.

BB10 phones that are on BES10 have, potentially, several services that ARE more secure than other phones, but even then, phone calls, SMS/MMS, Web browsing, and other services are still no different than other phones.

One of the most important aspects of security is understanding what is and isn't secure. Merely "having faith" is not security - security has real definitions and limitations, on every platform.
    ...you can't ghost install software (malicious etc.) on a BlackBerry due to the permissions aspect of the OS as can be done on other platforms...that in essence is security...there was an article posted about this a few months back about being able to hack into a BlackBerry...and the hacker group then admitted that they had to actuality have the BlackBerry in their hands to install their software...

Posted with my awesome Z10...or maybe even my Q10...50/50 chance...
    01-24-14 12:10 PM
    Ha ha! I hope Samsung is okay with what you said about Note 3.
    Secure is a relative term. ....you are responsible for securing your phone...not apple.....blackberry. ..or Google.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-24-14 12:35 PM
    how bad is it for yahoo?
    How bad? Non existent.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Acidwire likes this.
    01-24-14 12:44 PM
217 ... 6789