Aren't you tired of waiting? It's almost a year now and the new leaked update (while it is pretty good) is so far on the horizon that it means nothing to the regular user.
    Almost a year (jan 30 for 10.0) ... but that's near zero on a new platform time scale.
    I know how frustrating this can be, but the way you expose this sound as if "others" were made in a week (I mean polished it after launch). Compare to iOs, Android, WP ...

10.2.1.1055 in its official suit is rumored for January 2014 - say a month from now - again, I won't qualify it as "so far away" but more likely "very soon".

Sorry if I understood it wrong.
    12-11-13 09:19 AM
    Almost a year (jan 30 for 10.0) ... but that's near zero on a new platform time scale.
    I know how frustrating this can be, but the way you expose this sound as if "others" were made in a week (I mean polished it after launch). Compare to iOs, Android, WP ...

10.2.1.1055 in its official suit is rumored for January 2014 - say a month from now - again, I won't qualify it as "so far away" but more likely "very soon".

Sorry if I understood it wrong.
    Time for excuses has run out man, the platform is there, they just need to ad features apps and services.

As it turns out my Q10 has a built in FM Radio, is it acceptable to make an app for it after a year on the shelves?

Sometimes I really don't know what they're thinking. More likely they left it out so they could advertise it on the 9720

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 09:51 AM
    Notice it's a Legacy blackberry rather than on of the easily hacked BB10 devices.
    12-11-13 09:56 AM
    Time for excuses has run out man, the platform is there, they just need to ad features apps and services.
    As it turns out my Q10 has a built in FM Radio, is it acceptable to make an app for it after a year on the shelves?
    Sometimes I really don't know what they're thinking. More likely they left it out so they could advertise it on the 9720
    Posted via CB10
    Well, I too believe what we see in 10.2.1.1055 is a starting point and if BB10 was launched ... etc, sure.
    12-11-13 10:12 AM
    Notice it's a Legacy blackberry rather than on of the easily hacked BB10 devices.

You just coming in here to post that to stir things up, eh?

Nothing better to do?
    12-11-13 03:14 PM

I suppose you have no idea how many consumer products have all sorts of "hidden" functionality that is never revealed to customers because this is a COMMON way to sell differentiated devices in a product line.

MANY "different" electronic products from a vendor, internally, are identical - yet the manufacturer simply disables some of those things, changes the outside slightly, changes the model number and calls it a cheaper model and sells it for less. Despite the fact that the manufacturing cost is identical.

The first time I encountered this was in the 1970s when I learned that Mamiya-Sekor's "cheapo" 500DTL Single Lens Reflex camera was actually internally IDENTICAL to their flagship 1000DTL model, except that A) the 1/1000 shutter speed was locked-out on the dial and no "1/1000" legend printed on the dial, and B) the self-timer (missing on the 500 DTL) was actually present just the same as the 1000DTL, but they just didn't poke a hole in the leatherette cover and put a dial on it.

Once again: this sort of product differentiation is COMMON.

So I consider the addition of the FM radio software feature (because the chip BlackBerry is using mostly for other things happens to have that function built into it) to be a BONUS that they have never been OBLIGATED to give to anyone.
    Superfly_FR and stlabrat like this.
    12-11-13 03:19 PM
    I suppose you have no idea how many consumer products have all sorts of "hidden" functionality that is never revealed to customers because this is a COMMON way to sell differentiated devices in a product line.

MANY "different" electronic products from a vendor, internally, are identical - yet the manufacturer simply disables some of those things, changes the outside slightly, changes the model number and calls it a cheaper model and sells it for less. Despite the fact that the manufacturing cost is identical.

The first time I encountered this was in the 1970s when I learned that Mamiya-Sekor's "cheapo" 500DTL Single Lens Reflex camera was actually internally IDENTICAL to their flagship 1000DTL model, except that A) the 1/1000 shutter speed was locked-out on the dial and no "1/1000" legend printed on the dial, and B) the self-timer (missing on the 500 DTL) was actually present just the same as the 1000DTL, but they just didn't poke a hole in the leatherette cover and put a dial on it.

Once again: this sort of product differentiation is COMMON.

So I consider the addition of the FM radio software feature (because the chip BlackBerry is using mostly for other things happens to have that function built into it) to be a BONUS that they have never been OBLIGATED to give to anyone.
    Hmmm, can we change the conversation to film cameras instead? Lol. I just bought a 1950 Carl Zeiss Ikoflex 6x6 and even set up a darkroom. (new hobby)

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 04:07 PM
    You just coming in here to post that to stir things up, eh?

Nothing better to do?
    He's just using out of date info. Prior to 10.2, BB10 could heasily be bugged...
    12-11-13 04:57 PM
    He's just using out of date info. Prior to 10.2, BB10 could heasily be bugged...
    I don't know what you mean by "bugged" or "easily" (ie compared to other platforms) but I would love to see your cites on that.

Only because I grant you more credibility than most in this discussion.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-11-13 07:08 PM
    Hmmm, can we change the conversation to film cameras instead? Lol. I just bought a 1950 Carl Zeiss Ikoflex 6x6 and even set up a darkroom. (new hobby)

You know what - I would MUCH rather discuss photography with you than your usual BIS ranting. Pretty soon I am going to start calling you "Captain BIS" around here. :P

Do you still have a 3rd-world-like wireless infrastructure out there in Ireland?

I have a bunch of film cameras and may have to sell them before they become completely worthless due to no supplies being available for them any more.

As it is, the last time I went into a store that actually still had darkroom supplies, it was like going back in time with Dr. Who. Selling the same exact supplies I used to use when I was in high school in the 1970s. I don't think a company has designed a significant new model of photographic enlarger or new type of darkroom chemical for 30 years or something.
    12-11-13 07:14 PM
    You know what - I would MUCH rather discuss photography with you than your usual BIS ranting. Pretty soon I am going to start calling you "Captain BIS" around here. :P

Do you still have a 3rd-world-like wireless infrastructure out there in Ireland?

I have a bunch of film cameras and may have to sell them before they become completely worthless due to no supplies being available for them any more.

As it is, the last time I went into a store that actually still had darkroom supplies, it was like going back in time with Dr. Who. Selling the same exact supplies I used to use when I was in high school in the 1970s. I don't think a company has designed a significant new model of photographic enlarger or new type of darkroom chemical for 30 years or something.
    Nah man, hold on to them, they're probably long paid for, you'll be sorry.

I went through a few film cameras this year and settled on a Pentax Program A, a Zeiss Ikon and a Zeiss Ikoflex, the last two from the 50's, even my enlarger is from the 50's lol, Simon Brothers Omega 8b if that rings a bell, made in the good old USA, does the job. Loving every minute of it.

The days of walking into a shop to buy darkroom supplies are gone though, with very little exceptions. In UK Ilford are doing a good job at keeping B&W photography alive(use the code PRO11 for a discount on their online shop) and in general film is making a bit of a comeback with old factories reopening, Ferania in Italy for example.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 02:36 AM
    I don't know what you mean by "bugged" or "easily" (ie compared to other platforms) but I would love to see your cites on that.

Only because I grant you more credibility than most in this discussion.
    Look for intelligence and counter-intelligence software if you have connections.
    12-12-13 04:18 AM
    Look for intelligence and counter-intelligence software if you have connections.
    I probably already mentioned things like Finfisher/Finspy ITT, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Those may be trojans but I don't think they gain more than user privs.
    12-12-13 06:18 AM
    Nah man, hold on to them, they're probably long paid for, you'll be sorry.

Well the sad fact is I could use the money towards getting a DSLR that I really want, that I will actually use on a regular basis, and which won't cost me $20 every time I shoot 36 exposures.

I went through a few film cameras this year and settled on a Pentax Program A, a Zeiss Ikon and a Zeiss Ikoflex, the last two from the 50's, even my enlarger is from the 50's lol, Simon Brothers Omega 8b if that rings a bell, made in the good old USA, does the job. Loving every minute of it.

If you've never worked in a darkroom it is certainly a lovely experience on a variety of levels. I had a darkroom in a previous house but never put one in here for a combination of reasons, even though when I moved here I had that in mind. Now silver-based photography has become something of a boutique old-world craft, and an expensive one at that. Personally I'd rather just shoot nice photos, and the current state of the art in digital photography has gotten very good indeed.

The days of walking into a shop to buy darkroom supplies are gone though, with very little exceptions. In UK Ilford are doing a good job at keeping B&W photography alive(use the code PRO11 for a discount on their online shop) and in general film is making a bit of a comeback with old factories reopening, Ferania in Italy for example.

Always liked the Ilford stuff, I still have some (long since expired) refrigerated film of theirs here.

Unfortunately film photography has become a big hipster activity now, which sorta immediately turns me off to it in some ways.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    12-12-13 07:11 AM
    With Ag price so high, it is not too difficult to recover Ag from your discard solutions. Do miss the enlarger and play with exposure using paper shade. Beat the pixel touch up (matter of fact, hate the pixel touch up). Just the acetic acid smell for the whole day a bit too much (once you set it up, you want to enlarge as many as possible, to utilize the chemicals. Used to bring banana to the darkroom, live like monkeys).

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 08:07 AM
    With Ag price so high, it is not too difficult to recover Ag from your discard solutions. Do miss the enlarger and play with exposure using paper shade. Beat the pixel touch up (matter of fact, hate the pixel touch up). Just the acetic acid smell for the whole day a bit too much (once you set it up, you want to enlarge as many as possible, to utilize the chemicals. Used to bring banana to the darkroom, live like monkeys).

Posted via CB10
    I first thought this was SPAM and then remembered the camera convo
    12-12-13 08:26 AM
    I first thought this was SPAM and then remembered the camera convo

HAHA that was exactly my initial impression when I started reading... was getting ready to reach for the report button...
    12-12-13 08:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol, last time I set it up I went in at 9pm and came out at 4am
    12-12-13 09:10 AM
    I think people that argue against the security of BlackBerry are simply at a point of "what do I do?"

They love the ecosystems of Android and Apple. They like that they feel cool to have something that so many others have. They are part of the cool club.

But, they look at security and read these articles and are in a predicament of self satisfaction. They realized that they've give up the thing that matters the most in this digital age. They really want to be secure and have a device that governments rely on but don't want to give up the cool label.

Look people. Choose what you want. Read the facts and move on. No need to troll around here arguing that BlackBerry isn't superior in security to its competitors. It simply is. BlackBerry will not compromise security for anything. That's why I have a BlackBerry. Even at a consumer level.

Choose your phone and live with its pro and cons. Just make sure you know what you're giving up.
    I will give two quick examples of security. I used to work for a top ten DOW company that uses proprietary secure servers. We had them for Microsoft and BlackBerry. For many years I used a Windows mobile smartphone for my job. While I had these phones I had successive models including an HTC, two Samsungs(of which I had to replace four times for sound and charging issues) and an LG. During this time my credit card was stolen three times. Each time by the same hacker. The company knew who the hacker was but was unable to stop them.

After resetting all of my autopays and getting new cards I finally chose a Bold. I never had a Blackberry before and thought they were not as functional as WM. Wow was I wrong! It was amazing that not only could I get my daily things done faster but I never was hacked again. In fact I was attacked by a hacker again but BES forced a secure wipe which took fifteen minutes and I was back up and running.

Shortly before I left they were transitioning away from WM and BB somewhat and offering Apple. A colleague of mine picked the Iphone and ipad. He had nothing but trouble when his entire account was hacked. Also the security was difficult to implement on Apple when you use information sharing sites outside the intranet.
    Omnitech and stlabrat like this.
    12-13-13 07:11 AM
    I used to work for a top ten DOW company...

I searched several online acronym lists and could not find a definition for a "DOW company".

Unless you are referring to Dow Chemical Corp.
    12-13-13 07:25 PM
    Well the sad fact is I could use the money towards getting a DSLR that I really want, that I will actually use on a regular basis, and which won't cost me $20 every time I shoot 36 exposures.

If you've never worked in a darkroom it is certainly a lovely experience on a variety of levels. I had a darkroom in a previous house but never put one in here for a combination of reasons, even though when I moved here I had that in mind. Now silver-based photography has become something of a boutique old-world craft, and an expensive one at that. Personally I'd rather just shoot nice photos, and the current state of the art in digital photography has gotten very good indeed.

Always liked the Ilford stuff, I still have some (long since expired) refrigerated film of theirs here.

Unfortunately film photography has become a big hipster activity now, which sorta immediately turns me off to it in some ways.
    Here's my favorite two, gonna start a Zeiss Tessar collection me thinks, they have such character especially with more modern films like Kodak Portra/Ektar
    TCSM: Is the BlackBerry really more secure than the iPhone?-img_00000473_hdr.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:53 AM
    Here's my favorite two, gonna start a Zeiss Tessar collection me thinks, they have such character especially with more modern films like Kodak Portra/Ektar

Your obsession with old Blackberries makes more sense now.

The Tessar is a great and classic design that many modern lenses inherited from. Great as long as you don't need speed.

Old TLRs are sorta for masochists though, but I have to admit there is something to the whole "lomography" thing that is good for doing creative work. Shooting a reasonably well-exposed and focused image has become child's play nowadays, so the artists and hipsters are going all low-tech as a conscious backlash. B/W does have a nice way of keeping people's eye focused on composition, but it also means if your composition isn't any good, the images can be really mundane.
    12-14-13 05:04 AM
    12-14-13 05:05 AM
    Your obsession with old Blackberries makes more sense now.

The Tessar is a great and classic design that many modern lenses inherited from. Great as long as you don't need speed.

Old TLRs are sorta for masochists though, but I have to admit there is something to the whole "lomography" thing that is good for doing creative work. Shooting a reasonably well-exposed and focused image has become child's play nowadays, so the artists and hipsters are going all low-tech as a conscious backlash. B/W does have a nice way of keeping people's eye focused on composition, but it also means if your composition isn't any good, the images can be really mundane.
    He he, it's as much about taking the photo as about the photo itself. I love the flaring the Tessar gives.
    TCSM: Is the BlackBerry really more secure than the iPhone?-_0234.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-14-13 05:51 AM
    I searched several online acronym lists and could not find a definition for a "DOW company".

Unless you are referring to Dow Chemical Corp.
    DOW Jones
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-14-13 07:34 AM
217 ... 45678 ...