Review: Best tools for mobile device management
    Choosing between AirWatch, Apperian, BES 10, Divide, Fixmo and Good Technology depends on specific use cases

By David Strom, Network World
    December 09, 2013 06:53 AM ET

Good read and up to date.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 07:36 PM
    My zipper is secure. Thank you.
    I hope it's doesn't run on android, I heard that hackers have easy access for backdoors.

Better android than android. The future is black....
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-09-13 08:47 PM
    Oh, BTW, you may have pretty soon acces to BES features ... THEN there will be no more comparison than black or white . But I'm sure there will be someone still arguing ... (popcorn ready).

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-cloud-882492/

Or straight from BlackBerry themselves...
    Cloud Mobility Management from BlackBerry

Definitely an interesting development, and about time.

I only knew of ONE email hosting company in the USA, up until now, that has been offering BES10 hosting. (ExchangeMyMail.com)

We really need more companies providing this service.
    12-09-13 09:35 PM
    I hope it's doesn't run on android, I heard that hackers have easy access for backdoors.

Well backdoors are definitely bad but I think that one's a frontdoor.

Review: Best tools for mobile device management
    Choosing between AirWatch, Apperian, BES 10, Divide, Fixmo and Good Technology depends on specific use cases

By David Strom, Network World
    December 09, 2013 06:53 AM ET

Good read and up to date.

Got link?
    12-09-13 09:38 PM
    Thank you for taking us to school sir. Your contributions have been very informative and the fact that you attach your sources gives your arguments more credibility.

Thanks, the pleasure is mine.

Sometimes I go over my tolerance threshold for agitprop and Internet Knowitall Syndrome.

That said, people should probably tone down the "Better Android than Android" stuff too, which is sorta like poking the bear.

BB10 doesn't have to be "better Android than Android" to be pretty cool in its own right.
    12-09-13 09:44 PM
    Our phones are no more secure than our zippers on our pants. Lol

sent from my galaxy note 3
    Maybe, but you'll never get your *member* caught by the phone like you can with your zippers on pants.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 09:49 PM

Better android than android. The future is black....
    Lulz

BlackBerry Z10 (Z30 inbound) | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-09-13 09:51 PM

Got link?
    http://m.networkworld.com/reviews/20...o%2FTmhAZTOEQE

Omnitech likes this.
    12-09-13 09:52 PM
    Well backdoors are definitely bad but I think that one's a frontdoor.
    M.networkworld.com
    You can also get a link from m.cio.com
    Posted 17 hrs ago. (fresh out) .

Got link?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:35 PM
    Last week a very close friend got his iP (pw protected) stolen. 1 single hour later, all his contacts with a bank name in the mail address recieved the same email ...
    It took him 5 or 6 full days to sort all the mess out. To advise each and every contact that they may receive solicitations that seem legit and coming from him but shouldn't be trusted unless these message have his new signature. This is a true drama for him and his career. He was ashamed.
    This also perfectly illustrates why it doesn't matter if your platform is the most secure as there will always be some knobhead storing personal details about you on his insecure phone. You end up with bank details, address, pictures and more on the Internet without even you knowing, except if something obvious such as a device theft has happened and if the person comes forward.
    Kind of like when online apps, shops and forums get hacked. Sometimes they tell you, sometimes they don't...
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-10-13 04:58 AM
    I've used Symbian, WM, IOS, Meego, and Android. Fairly new with BB10. I don't think there is a mobile platform in the world more secure than BB10. BlackBerry has a good product here. It is way better than Android but not as mature as IOS.

Unfortunately, Marketing sucks. Really sucks. Whatever features BlackBerry may have is not that important. (Security is for enterprise users vs lifestyle is for masses.) What is more important is how it is marketed. History Channel tie ups makes people who prefer BlackBerry look like nerds even though majority are not.

Some may think being not part of the i-sheeple or An-ple is ok or even cool. It is not. If BlackBerry doesn't become a mainstream accepted product soon, we will lose a very good product. I wish they market BlackBerry differently next year.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:07 AM
    This also perfectly illustrates why it doesn't matter if your platform is the most secure as there will always be some knobhead storing personal details about you on his insecure phone.
    Sorry, but not at all.
    It demonstrates that if (non BB) users were smart enough to claim a legit protection ... we would not talk about BlackBerry being the most secure device and platform.
    R Field likes this.
    12-10-13 06:49 AM
    Sorry, but not at all.
    It demonstrates that if (non BB) users were smart enough to claim a legit protection ... we would not talk about BlackBerry being the most secure device and platform.
    Sadly they're not and have nothing to backup those statements.

12-10-13 07:40 AM
    Sorry, but not at all.
    That's not the role of the user and will never happen. BlackBerry is secure purely because it was developed for enterprises first and you still need BES today to do something as simple as cryptographically signing your emails.
    End to end information security is difficult to achieve for businesses, especially when you don't own every component of the chain and putting it in place goes over the head of most consumers and the compromises are usually too great.

From a professional standpoint it matters immensely. If I am claiming to be an IT professional working in the world of banking or finance and my phone is compromised, I look like an incompetent in my profession. If my personal contact is compromised by someone else's incompetence, that does not reflect nearly as badly on me as everyone knows that can happen to them as well.

I've had to inform 4 of my contacts their email is being used to send messages with a suspicious URL. Every one of them have (had in one case as she moved to BlackBerry) Android phones. Except in one case, I don't know if their phone was used to access their email account. In the one case where I do know (the same person who now has a Z10) it had to be her phone as it is the only place she used that email account.
    True, the impact it can have on his reputation matters to that professional, but as a user of a professional service, you're not going to check what phones the company's employees are using and what their IT policies are. So you entrust companies with your personal data and it may end up on the Internet, even if you're being very careful to store everything in secure apps on a secure BlackBerry 10 phone, using the secure BES. Your mobile platform is just one of the components.

Regarding your contacts, the chances of data having been stolen directly from a mailing or forum database is higher than it being stolen directly from the phone. Even in the last case. That email address has to exist on at least one public server and it could have been compromised.

But this is a side discussion regarding mobile security in general. BlackBerry 10 is designed to be more secure than alternative platforms, which was the OP's question. It just doesn't mean that your personal data, messages or conversations are secure.
    12-10-13 07:49 AM
    So I assume the mark 42 could very well on QNX

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:12 AM
    That's not the role of the user and will never happen. BlackBerry is secure purely because it was developed for enterprises first and you still need BES today to do something as simple as cryptographically signing your emails.
    End to end information security is difficult to achieve for businesses, especially when you don't own every component of the chain and putting it in place goes over the head of most consumers and the compromises are usually too great.

True, the impact it can have on his reputation matters to that professional, but as a user of a professional service, you're not going to check what phones the company's employees are using and what their IT policies are. So you entrust companies with your personal data and it may end up on the Internet, even if you're being very careful to store everything in secure apps on a secure BlackBerry 10 phone, using the secure BES. Your mobile platform is just one of the components.

Regarding your contacts, the chances of data having been stolen directly from a mailing or forum database is higher than it being stolen directly from the phone. Even in the last case. That email address has to exist on at least one public server and it could have been compromised.

But this is a side discussion regarding mobile security in general. BlackBerry 10 is designed to be more secure than alternative platforms, which was the OP's question. It just doesn't mean that your personal data, messages or conversations are secure.
    You're forgetting about other BlackBerry's own platform that is more secure than BB10 simply because of the BIS network.

So BB10 might be more secure than other platforms but it's a step back to BBOS.

PS BES10 is irrelevant as far as consumers are concerned, it's of no consolation to me that some heads of states have some super secure BB10 devices

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:13 AM
    PS BES10 is irrelevant as far as consumers are concerned, it's of no consolation to me that some heads of states have some super secure BB10 devices
    Something is telling me that there will be a brutal come back of the "consumersBES-previously-Known-as-BIS" .
    Not sure how/who will sell it. But at the second it is available, I go for it. If there's decent storage attached, I can pay up to $10/month (that's 5 X "coffee per month" - as they describe the monthly fee) to have all my data in BB cloud & safe.

Let's see how it goes with T-mobile ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-10-13 at 11:07 AM.
    12-10-13 10:24 AM
    Just for the record, I'd like to give 1000 thanks to Omnitech! Information like this is one of the main reasons why I joined Crackberry, and why I choose Blackberry. Threads like this are a breath of fresh air and I think we need more like this. Keep that positive info coming.
    Superfly_FR and La Emperor like this.
    12-10-13 10:30 AM
    Sorry, but not at all.

You are both correct.

Ofutur is correct that it's easy to get personal data compromised by some other careless ***** that has it, including friends and family.

But that still doesn't negate the fact that platform security is still important, and does help minimize the chance that it gets compromised out from under your own device.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-10-13 03:31 PM
    You're forgetting about other BlackBerry's own platform that is more secure than BB10 simply because of the BIS network.

And I guess you're forgetting that BIS security is mostly an urban legend.

Back in the days (ie 5+ years ago) when most online services were sending data in the clear, BIS "scrambling" was better than the competition.

Nowadays when most major services are SSL encrypting everything, BIS is much much worse than that.

And it is saddled with all sorts of problems of its own.
    12-10-13 03:35 PM
    And I guess you're forgetting that BIS security is mostly an urban legend.

Back in the days (ie 5+ years ago) when most online services were sending data in the clear, BIS "scrambling" was better than the competition.

Nowadays when most major services are SSL encrypting everything, BIS is much much worse than that.

And it is saddled with all sorts of problems of its own.
    That's �n theory, in reality it was a tough nut to crack since many governments around the world complained about it and that's no myth. If they couldn't do it opportunistic criminals couldn't either.

But the point is BB10 can't claim the "most secure" title for consumers as long as BBOS is around.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 01:20 AM
    That's in theory, in reality it was a tough nut to crack since many governments around the world complained about it and that's no myth.

They complained about it mostly bc it was one of the most widely used chat networks in the world at the time (esp in the developing world and Middle East where they were mostly complaining about this), and before larger and better secured competitors came on the scene over the last several years. RIM AFAIK gave any national law enforcement access if they asked nicely. BES is a whole other kettle of fish and that's no different now for BB10 than it was then.

But the point is BB10 can't claim the "most secure" title for consumers as long as BBOS is around.

Nonsense.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I certainly don't miss the clock of death, the 6 minute reboot time, the horrific app install inefficiencies and compatibility issues, the various BIS bottlenecks and limitations, the terrible web and media performance, the lack of activesync, lack of LTE support, unreliable GPS, need to do reboots or battery pulls all the time, etc etc.

On the other hand, I do really miss BlackBerry Traffic. Shame they never ported that app.
    12-11-13 01:51 AM
    They complained about it mostly bc it was one of the most widely used chat networks in the world at the time (esp in the developing world and Middle East where they were mostly complaining about this), and before larger and better secured competitors came on the scene over the last several years. RIM AFAIK gave any national law enforcement access if they asked nicely. BES is a whole other kettle of fish and that's no different now for BB10 than it was then.

Nonsense.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I certainly don't miss the clock of death, the 6 minute reboot time, the horrific app install inefficiencies and compatibility issues, the various BIS bottlenecks and limitations, the terrible web and media performance, the lack of activesync, lack of LTE support, unreliable GPS, need to do reboots or battery pulls all the time, etc etc.

On the other hand, I do really miss BlackBerry Traffic. Shame they never ported that app.
    Yes, they both do have strengths and weaknesses but I was talking security, as long as BBOS is still available BB10 can't claim to be most secure for regular consumers.
    12-11-13 03:12 AM
    BB10 will catch up and overtake BBOS in a few updates. Some of this can be seen in the latest 10.2.1.1055 leak.

For a barely year old OS. BB10 is very impressive by any standards. Too bad the competition is much much more mature and has their own flavor of bells and whistles.

But the potential is there. 2 months ago I would never even dream of apk direct install.

Another 18 months who knows what BB10 will be capable of. Here's hoping for 1 or 2 exclusive wow factors!

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    12-11-13 05:34 AM
    BB10 will catch up and overtake BBOS in a few updates. Some of this can be seen in the latest 10.2.1.1055 leak.

For a barely year old OS. BB10 is very impressive by any standards. Too bad the competition is much much more mature and has their own flavor of bells and whistles.

But the potential is there. 2 months ago I would never even dream of apk direct install.

Another 18 months who knows what BB10 will be capable of. Here's hoping for 1 or 2 exclusive wow factors!

Z30, Q10, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Aren't you tired of waiting? It's almost a year now and the new leaked update (while it is pretty good) is so far on the horizon that it means nothing to the regular user.

In another year I'll be up for an upgrade again, whatever the wow updates BB10 will have it will most likely only be on new devices, not the old ones. I mean we've already seen this with the Z30.

Consumer don't waste their time waiting two years, they want it now and for good reason, let's face it. You wouldn't buy an unfinished car so why buy an unfinished phone?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:24 AM
217 ... 34567 ...