May post on the wrong forum, but just to see whether ppl knew about this and any thought on this? TCL just announced that it would sell 49% of its smartphone business to other companies.
    10-12-17 07:02 AM
    https://www.channelnews.com.au/tcl-a...hone-business/

Looks like they sold the 49% to investors, not another mobile device maker or Telecom. That being said they did show a loss of value from HK7 Billion to HK1 Billion.....

I do not think this bodes well for the future of the Blackberry name, though my Magic 8 Ball has been wrong before.
    10-12-17 07:08 AM
    hrm thats not good. interesting how blackberry focused the article is... bb must represents like a fraction of a percent of tcl's phone sales
    10-12-17 09:23 AM
    When a corporation starts looking for investment that is usually a sign that they are planning on expansion. Stock can always be bought back later.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    10-12-17 03:52 PM
    Didn't know very interesting though
    10-12-17 04:01 PM
    I don’t think it changes the equation. TCL hopes the BB brand will give them the foothold they want in western markets. If it works, they’ll pour more money into it. If not, they won’t.
    10-12-17 05:05 PM
    Didn't they recently get the rights to the Palm brand? Perhaps they need the investment to relaunch Palm.
    10-12-17 05:07 PM
    To me this is a common occurrence in 2017, companies wanting to invest in companies so they can expand or manufacture new products.

It’s a lot cheaper to invest in a company already making a product then build one from the ground up, I don’t think Blackberry has anything to worry about.
    10-12-17 05:53 PM
    Didn't they recently get the rights to the Palm brand? Perhaps they need the investment to relaunch Palm.
    Maybe the name Palm, which means absolutely nothing to anyone anymore. WebOS is owned by LG. I see very little point in TCL making an Android phone with the Palm name. No one would care.

Also, this is pretty simple. They are losing money so they sold off a chunk of the company to get some cash influx.
    10-12-17 06:26 PM
    Maybe the name Palm, which means absolutely nothing to anyone anymore. WebOS is owned by LG. I see very little point in TCL making an Android phone with the Palm name. No one would care.

Also, this is pretty simple. They are losing money so they sold off a chunk of the company to get some cash influx.
    No you got it wrong. The KEYone was a surprise success and the motion is going to continue this success because they're targeting a "super super super niche" market that no one else is doing well apparently. I mean, >90% of byod enterprises using apple or Samsung and have been doing this for the last five years but no, they're not doing it right. Enterprise customers want BlackBerry.

They're looking to expand hence the sale of their shares.
    bajanboy1711 likes this.
    10-12-17 07:40 PM
    Moved to News & Rumors
    10-12-17 08:38 PM
    No you got it wrong. The KEYone was a surprise success and the motion is going to continue this success because they're targeting a "super super super niche" market that no one else is doing well apparently. I mean, >90% of byod enterprises using apple or Samsung and have been doing this for the last five years but no, they're not doing it right. Enterprise customers want BlackBerry.

They're looking to expand hence the sale of their shares.
    I know you're trying to poke a bit of fun (I'll be nice ), but seriously, BlackBerry makes up a tiny portion of TCL's business.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-12-17 08:43 PM

It would make a lot of sense to me if TCL used the Palm brand to launch a Note competitor. When I think of Palm, I remember the PDAs (I never owned one; I had a Dell Axim X50v). While Samsung brand loyalty is strong, there simply is no competition for a phone with a stylus to the Note, so maybe TCL can produce a competitor that isn't $1000.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    10-12-17 09:46 PM
    It would make a lot of sense to me if TCL used the Palm brand to launch a Note competitor. When I think of Palm, I remember the PDAs (I never owned one; I had a Dell Axim X50v). While Samsung brand loyalty is strong, there simply is no competition for a phone with a stylus to the Note, so maybe TCL can produce a competitor that isn't $1000.
    And rename it Passport 2! ;p

Posted via CB10
    10-13-17 04:40 AM
    I can't imagine the palm name carries any weight anymore, but I suppose there is a gap between the note on the high end, and the LG stylo on the low end.... Personally I think they would do better licensing a different brands... Like an Atari phone! That I would buy!
    10-13-17 06:13 AM
    I know you're trying to poke a bit of fun (I'll be nice ), but seriously, BlackBerry makes up a tiny portion of TCL's business.
    Thanks lol

Yes I know, TCL makes TV's and other electronics for emerging markets. I have no doubt Blackberry makes a very small portion of their business.

Even within their phone business I'm pretty sure Blackberry makes a small portion of that, because I see more Alcatel devices in the wild than I do TCL Blackberry phones. I'm sure in their core markets in the developing world the difference is even more striking.

I will say it again though, I give TCL credit for giving it a shot
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-13-17 11:05 AM
    May post on the wrong forum, but just to see whether ppl knew about this and any thought on this? TCL just announced that it would sell 49% of its smartphone business to other companies.
    TCL are onto something big here.

BlackBerry has always been very popular, even among non BlackBerry owners many of them having used BlackBerry's from time to time.

Now that BlackBerry is on Android in it's own Android and on other Androids, IOS and now Windows as well as Mac. (At least they will be on, all of them and they are coming to other variants of linux.)

The Blackberry branded phones are taking off like rockets, you go to most of the Independent stockists and ask, they can't get enough of them to satisfy demand.
    The big name players are desperately trying to keep the old Blackberry name out of the shops, but then who's going to pay for display stand in the likes of O2 Vodafone T-Mobile Orange EE.

If they have any sense they won't pay these companies, who are in the market to sell phones.

Instead these companies just operate as display stands that do not sell phones.

Carphone Warehouse is learning that it's phone sales have slackened, because people are buying BlackBerry KeyOne and the KeyOne Black and very shortly when they can get their hands on the new addition it's just go to take of.
    There are a lot of people that prefer to have a pocket computer in one pocket and a mobile phone in the other, only connecting the two when they need to.
    So having Wi-fi and Bluetooth built into the pocket computers with no mobile phone on board potentially have a vast market and it could see the smartphone devastated. Both palm and Psion sell very well in the second hand market so don't run them down.
    Updated versions of The Palm Pilot and subsequent models and updated versions of the 3MX both with the green screens and with colour screens will still sell like hotcakes.

Both the Palm and the psion series fell away in general use because the software was no longer updated.

Google Android have taken this lesson on board with the Linux authorities and line-ups colonel's are now extended to 6 years instead of 2 years.

Security updates as a consequence will be push through to the six year Mark but the choice to upgrade to a different Android version is left largely with the phone producers and in the latter part the end users.
    Last edited by Neville A Daniels; 10-13-17 at 12:19 PM.
    10-13-17 11:35 AM
    Thanks lol

Yes I know, TCL makes TV's and other electronics for emerging markets. I have no doubt Blackberry makes a very small portion of their business.

Even within their phone business I'm pretty sure Blackberry makes a small portion of that, because I see more Alcatel devices in the wild than I do TCL Blackberry phones. I'm sure in their core markets in the developing world the difference is even more striking.

I will say it again though, I give TCL credit for giving it a shot
    TCL Communications does not make TVs. They are separate company with a separate board, CEO and investors. TCL Corporation that makes TVs, is doing just fine.

TCL Communications who made the deal with BlackBerry had a very rough year, last year. When they dropped from being listed on the HK market and went Private (something many wanted for BlackBerry to do long ago).... they were valued at HK$7 Billion, but sales . Now about eight month later that valuation is down to HK$ 1 Billion.

Maybe with some operating money.... they'll be able to do better with BlackBerry Mobile than they have been.
    Amaroni and BigBadWulf like this.
    10-13-17 11:42 AM
    TCL or onto something big here BlackBerry has always been very popular even among non BlackBerry owners many of them having used blackberries from time to time.
    Now that BlackBerry is on Android in his own Android and on other Androids, IOS and now Windows as well as Mac what least they will be on all of them and they are coming to other variants of linux.
    The Blackberry branded phones are taking off like rockets you go to most of the Independent stuck its they can't get enough of them to satisfy demand the big name players are desperately trying to keep the old Blackberry name out of the shops but then who's going to pay for display stand in the likes of O2 Vodafone T-Mobile Orange EE if they have any sense they won't these companies are in the market to sell phones but they are not doing so instead they're just operating as display stands that does not sell phones.
    Carphone Warehouse is learning it's phone sales have slack and because people are buying BlackBerry keyone and the key one black and very shortly when they can get their hands on the new addition it's just go to take of.
    There are a lot of people that prefer to have a pocket computer in one pocket and a mobile phone in the Alpha and only connect the two when they need to.
    So having Wi-fi and Bluetooth built into the pocket computers with no mobile phone on board potentially have a vast market and it could see the smartphone devastated. Both palm and Psion sell very well in the second hand market so don't run them down.
    Updated versions of The Palm Pilot and subsequent models and updated versions of the 3M x both with the green screens and with colour screens will still sell like hotcakes.
    Step back from the Kool-Aid... you aren't suppose to drink that much at one time, it's starting to blur your hold on reality.
    BigBadWulf and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-13-17 11:47 AM
    Now that BlackBerry is on Android in it's own Android and on other Androids, IOS and now Windows as well as Mac. (At least they will be on, all of them and they are coming to other variants of linux.)
    What major software is Blackberry producing for desktop operating systems?

The Blackberry branded phones are taking off like rockets, you go to most of the Independent stockists and ask, they can't get enough of them to satisfy demand.
    [citation needed]

The big name players are desperately trying to keep the old Blackberry name out of the shops
    [citation needed]

Carphone Warehouse is learning that it's phone sales have slackened, because people are buying BlackBerry KeyOne and the KeyOne Black and very shortly when they can get their hands on the new addition it's just go to take of.
    [citation needed]

There are a lot of people that prefer to have a pocket computer in one pocket and a mobile phone in the other, only connecting the two when they need to.
    [citation needed]

Both palm and Psion sell very well in the second hand market so don't run them down.
    [citation needed]

Updated versions of The Palm Pilot and subsequent models and updated versions of the 3MX both with the green screens and with colour screens will still sell like hotcakes.
    [citation needed]
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-13-17 03:28 PM
    I have a palm pilot M105. It's fun to play with, after one figures out the graffiti input style with the stylus. Works well as PDA, but I doubt it can dock with desktop anymore due to outdated windows files, unless one uses an emulator.

That said, I know of no one who uses a palm pilot anymore, much less treo or centro or pixi. However, if TCL can make a palm pilot to rival the ipod, I'd definitely pay attention. It needs a removable battery though. Or use AAA batteries. My palm can last a YEAR on AAAs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900!
    10-13-17 04:20 PM
    TCL are onto something big here.

BlackBerry has always been very popular, even among non BlackBerry owners many of them having used BlackBerry's from time to time.

The big name players are desperately trying to keep the old Blackberry name out of the shops, but then who's going to pay for display stand in the likes of O2 Vodafone T-Mobile Orange EE.

If they have any sense they won't pay these companies, who are in the market to sell phones.

Instead these companies just operate as display stands that do not sell phones.

Both the Palm and the psion series fell away in general use because the software was no longer updated.

Google Android have taken this lesson on board with the Linux authorities and line-ups colonel's are now extended to 6 years instead of 2 years.

Security updates as a consequence will be push through to the six year Mark but the choice to upgrade to a different Android version is left largely with the phone producers and in the latter part the end users.
    That was a nice visit to fantasy land. There isn't a shred of truth to a single thing in your post.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-14-17 10:46 AM

How old are you? The reason I ask is that you must be older if you remember the palm name. No one younger than 35 most likely remembers it. The name carries absolutely zero weight. I know this because the Palm Pre, which had great OS (which BlackBerry ripped off) failed miserably.

And the younger crowd that is buying the Note wouldn't blink at something like a Palm whatever running android, mostly because TCL would make it a mid range device that wouldn't be in the same league as the Note.
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    10-14-17 10:49 AM
    How old are you? The reason I ask is that you must be older if you remember the palm name. No one younger than 35 most likely remembers it. The name carries absolutely zero weight. I know this because the Palm Pre, which had great OS (which BlackBerry ripped off) failed miserably.

And the younger crowd that is buying the Note wouldn't blink at something like a Palm whatever running android, mostly because TCL would make it a mid range device that wouldn't be in the same league as the Note.
    I am 40. For the most part, I also don't think the Palm brand is going to do much, but some of the nostalgia will get people who remember it to take a look, and perhaps get reviewers to give it a bit more credibility which is really how most people are influenced.
    10-14-17 05:52 PM
    This thread is depressing on so many levels. Fake Chinese BlackBerry in economic trouble! Long delusional ranting involving decrepit Psions! Palm graffiti-bashing!

It's all too much!!!!

*Lmao*
    10-14-17 07:45 PM
52 123