Head of global communications and strategy Jason Gerdon said “BlackBerry and Palm have their unique use cases. Alcatel sits in the entry point of the market and then there’s a lot of space above that we did not address, that’s where TCL sits.

Speaking to media in London yesterday (2 October), TCL Communications’ general manager of global marketing Stefan Streit ruled out the possibility of phasing out the Alcatel and BlackBerry brands: “This is a long term strategy for TCL; we’re not here for short term success".

“The first step for us is TCL Plex, this will not replace Alcatel and BlackBerry or Palm. TCL will sit above those brands and focus on the mid-tier segment”.

He also strongly defended the Alcatel brand (which is now owned by Nokia Corporation) and claimed that Alcatel is doing very great in Europe.

"We’re not going to drop Alcatel as it’s a very strong brand in the segment we’re trying to approach in Europe, the €150 price point. It’s a strong brand for our operator and retail partners so we don’t want to give that up. But we also needed something more premium to address market places we are not in”.

What is worrying that the gentleman didn't specify the BlackBerry brand in his talk, and he concentrated more on Alcatel and its future. He didn't talk about any future BlackBerry plan or possible devices.
    What do you think?

Source: https://www.mobileworldlive.com/devi...plex-launches/
    rarsen likes this.
    10-03-19 05:46 PM
    Head of global communications and strategy Jason Gerdon said “BlackBerry and Palm have their unique use cases. Alcatel sits in the entry point of the market and then there’s a lot of space above that we did not address, that’s where TCL sits.

Speaking to media in London yesterday (2 October), TCL Communications’ general manager of global marketing Stefan Streit ruled out the possibility of phasing out the Alcatel and BlackBerry brands: “This is a long term strategy for TCL; we’re not here for short term success".

“The first step for us is TCL Plex, this will not replace Alcatel and BlackBerry or Palm. TCL will sit above those brands and focus on the mid-tier segment”.

He also strongly defended the Alcatel brand (which is now owned by Nokia Corporation) and claimed that Alcatel is doing very great in Europe.

"We’re not going to drop Alcatel as it’s a very strong brand in the segment we’re trying to approach in Europe, the €150 price point. It’s a strong brand for our operator and retail partners so we don’t want to give that up. But we also needed something more premium to address market places we are not in”.

What is worrying that the gentleman didn't specify the BlackBerry brand in his talk, and he concentrated more on Alcatel and its future. He didn't talk about any future BlackBerry plan or possible devices.
    What do you think?

What do I think? It sucks. No announcements, nothing tangible to hold out hope for Blackberry devices into 2020. I hate to say it but the writing is on the wall. On top of it, there's nothing being said by Chen, except a rather hopeful perspective that [perhaps] they'll continue to build a business case for software in the most murkiest of senses. It'll be a sad conclusion to a company that should have been able to evolve and got lost in the process.
    cribble2k likes this.
    10-03-19 06:29 PM
    What do I think? It sucks. No announcements, nothing tangible to hold out hope for Blackberry devices into 2020. I hate to say it but the writing is on the wall. On top of it, there's nothing being said by Chen, except a rather hopeful perspective that [perhaps] they'll continue to build a business case for software in the most murkiest of senses. It'll be a sad conclusion to a company that should have been able to evolve and got lost in the process.
    There's no reason for John Chen or anyone at BlackBerry Limited to comment. They are just a supplier of the software and the Licensor or the Brand and apps. Everything is up to TCL. They are the only ones who can decide if they want to market more BlackBerry phones.

It's a little bit encouraging that BlackBerry is even mentioned, but obviously there's no guarantee we'll see a KEY3 or any other device. If there isn't, I'm still happy my KEYone has gotten me to Android X with Project Mainline. I wouldn't ever consider a new Android phone without either that or Android One.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    10-03-19 06:59 PM

What do you think?

TCL is basically giving every indication they are relegating Blackberry to second or third-tier status while Blackberry Limited is still actively supporting BB10/BBOS/Playbook back-end services.

An interesting dichotomy....
    rarsen and cribble2k like this.
    10-03-19 07:32 PM
    In a market that’s saturated at the moment, even big bad Apple has changed their marketing strategy. I think it’s a wait and see situation and I know there are folks out there who want to see something new from Blackberry being introduced to the market.

Unfortunately in today’s highly competitive market, caution is mentioned more in corporate product development circles then optimism.
    rarsen likes this.
    10-03-19 07:58 PM
    TCL is basically giving every indication they are relegating Blackberry to second or third-tier status while Blackberry Limited is still actively supporting BB10/BBOS/Playbook back-end services.

An interesting dichotomy....
    While one OS and ecosystem are in their infancy, and the other OS and ecosystem are almost EOL.
    tazcubed and eshropshire like this.
    10-03-19 10:40 PM
    @conite

What is your opinion about this news?
    10-03-19 10:45 PM
    @conite

What is your opinion about this news?
    Like I said in the other thread, I am surprised and encouraged by the fact that they even mentioned BlackBerry, let alone seemed to suggest that another device was forthcoming.

At the same time, I acknowledged that you never truly know what the real intentions behind the words are.

Do they want to signal customers so they don't stop buying the remaining stock?

Do they want to signal BlackBerry so they appear committed to the program?

Always hard to know.
    10-03-19 10:48 PM
    There's no reason for John Chen or anyone at BlackBerry Limited to comment. They are just a supplier of the software and the Licensor or the Brand and apps. Everything is up to TCL. They are the only ones who can decide if they want to market more BlackBerry phones.

It's a little bit encouraging that BlackBerry is even mentioned, but obviously there's no guarantee we'll see a KEY3 or any other device. If there isn't, I'm still happy my KEYone has gotten me to Android X with Project Mainline. I wouldn't ever consider a new Android phone without either that or Android One.

Posted via CB10
    Here's why I think it is necessary for Chen to say something: Blackberry still "suggests" it's in the software business and much of that software is tied to cellphone devices in particular. Suggestions, not hard details, aren't going to hold Blackberry users on for long as the Key2 is already getting long in the tooth. Combine it with a number of apps that Blackberry has retired, and little of any substantial new growth - where exactly is Chen taking Blackberry. It seems like it's hold Cylance as a key part of it, but then again the numbers are unclear.

As much as I like holding onto a Blackberry device whether made in-house or not, I'm taking this news as being deliberate. If TCL had something in the works, it should have been mentioned. Silence from Chen in this regards indicates devices and the associated software that Blackberry is supposedly developing is...non-existent.
    10-04-19 10:28 AM
    Here's why I think it is necessary for Chen to say something: Blackberry still "suggests" it's in the software business and much of that software is tied to cellphone devices in particular. Suggestions, not hard details, aren't going to hold Blackberry users on for long as the Key2 is already getting long in the tooth. Combine it with a number of apps that Blackberry has retired, and little of any substantial new growth - where exactly is Chen taking Blackberry. It seems like it's hold Cylance as a key part of it, but then again the numbers are unclear.

As much as I like holding onto a Blackberry device whether made in-house or not, I'm taking this news as being deliberate. If TCL had something in the works, it should have been mentioned. Silence from Chen in this regards indicates devices and the associated software that Blackberry is supposedly developing is...non-existent.
    I think the future of BlackBerry is 99% tied to Cylance and IoT (auto, UEM).

Mobile is just a distraction for them, and completely inconsequential.
    10-04-19 10:36 AM

In terms of revenue, almost none of BlackBerry Limited 's software business is available for consumers to purchase, though that may change with a consumer Cylance security offering. Their buyers are enterprise information security leaders, and those people really don't care about BlackBerry handsets at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-19 11:07 AM
    I think the future of BlackBerry is 99% tied to Cylance and IoT (auto, UEM).

Mobile is just a distraction for them, and completely inconsequential.
    Maybe, but the hardware business is just a distraction from Microsoft's software focus, it could be argued. Where else do you see the Microsoft brand out in retail...other than not looking at your laptop while getting a coffee and playing on your BlackBerry 10 or Key device when you first boot the laptop up. It ain't anywhere near number 1 (hardware-wise), but it probably wisely stays in the ring and remains a household name- it probably hones their software skills a bit as well -no surprises. Probably why MS is returning to the smartphone ring albeit droided over for now.
    Of course apple is still in the hardware business, and certainly Google is...though I doubt it dominates Google's revenue source directly.

Why have i forgotten nearly all the Linux brandes os names? No branded devices. Not in retail at least. Maybe that doesn't work for the linux model. But BlackBerry is not a linux model of business.
    10-04-19 12:46 PM
    Maybe, but the hardware business is just a distraction from Microsoft's software focus, it could be argued. Where else do you see the Microsoft brand out in retail...other than not looking at your laptop while getting a coffee and playing on your BlackBerry 10 or Key device when you first boot the laptop up. It ain't anywhere near number 1 (hardware-wise), but it probably wisely stays in the ring and remains a household name- it probably hones their software skills a bit as well -no surprises. Probably why MS is returning to the smartphone ring albeit droided over for now.
    Of course apple is still in the hardware business, and certainly Google is...though I doubt it dominates Google's revenue source directly.

Why have i forgotten nearly all the Linux brandes os names? No branded devices. Not in retail at least. Maybe that doesn't work for the linux model. But BlackBerry is not a linux model of business.
    The difference is that Microsoft has literally 1K times economic resources. It spends minimal percentage supporting the hardware business. Even with the recent news of foldable phone, that device is supposed to run Android correct?
    10-04-19 01:17 PM
    The difference is that Microsoft has literally 1K times economic resources. It spends minimal percentage supporting the hardware business. Even with the recent news of foldable phone, that device is supposed to run Android correct?
    Ok Not sure 1ktimes is exactly accurate. MS has 31 times the revenue of BlackBerry, but net income...well okay they (MS) got lots and lots and lots of breathing room. Google has that in just profit alone (net income) so yes vastly bigger mountain for Google (2018) -probably little of it from hardware?. And yes Revenue does not equal profitability.
    Droid Vadered....yes...the new Microsoft Emporers folded phone is slated to run Android, but I guess we'll all wait and see if they don't pull the old Microsoft on that one, and find it loads with windows 10 or something.. - . I sense a disturbance in the force on that one.

(ok whoops on my part 2018 ~110 billion for MS ( sorry Bill Gates or whoever for the sloppy math).
    So 110 times the revenue of BB...but still not 1,000times.)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 10-04-19 at 06:24 PM.
    10-04-19 01:49 PM
    Droid Vadered....yes...the new Microsoft Emporers folded phone will run Android -
    LOL - when are you coming to Florida IPA since I want to buy you some alcohol... Good times abound
    10-04-19 01:51 PM
    I'm only funny on paper. ..and the millenium falcon is on the fritz(blink) again. I think chewy chewed on the wiring ....and someone is on about the hardware needing an upgrading in the house, or the software is going to up and leave :-). Love Florida though, got relatives down there somewhere on the Atlantic side , who I still have yet to visit....it keeps getting put on the 5-year plan. :-)
    10-04-19 02:24 PM

You don't see much about RedHat and SUSE because like BlackBerry Limited their main focus is on the Enterprise. They don't have offerings for the enduser consumer market.

For MS their hardware is a rounding error in their financials. They don't invest a lot in the business and if it ever starts to lose money Nadella will jettison the business in a heartbeat. The focus of their HW is to have people adopt their enterprise offerings. Not to sell more OS's. The main reason we saw this week that MS went all in with Android as their mobile OS of choice. Also, Nadella was part of Samsung's Note launch in August.

MS wants to ensure their enterprise services are widely adopted. The future for MS is to be a main leader in Enterprise services, not to compete with Dell and HP in selling hardware.
    10-04-19 03:40 PM

If they were planning to use WindowsX on the Duo they would have said so, its time for people to realize MS does not care about Windows. MS cares about Enterprise Services. Since Balmer was fired for wasting billions on failed efforts, Nadella has remade MS into a very profitable powerhouse. MS ruined their efforts to make WinX into a mobile OS once they gave in and included Win32 even if the apps only run in a container.

Microsoft is all in with Android on Mobile. The whole point of announcing NEO and Duo now is to get developers working on support. Windows developers will work on 2 screen support of NEO and Android developers will start working on support for Duo. Pulling a fast one like you suggest will destroy all developer efforts for the Duo and they will be back with a device that has less than 1% of the market and does nothing to support Nadella and MS's vision and plans.
    Bla1ze likes this.
    10-04-19 03:47 PM
    If they were planning to use WindowsX on the Duo they would have said so, its time for people to realize MS does not care about Windows. MS cares about Enterprise Services. Since Balmer was fired for wasting billions on failed efforts, Nadella has remade MS into a very profitable powerhouse. MS ruined their efforts to make WinX into a mobile OS once they gave in and included Win32 even if the apps only run in a container.

Microsoft is all in with Android on Mobile. The whole point of announcing NEO and Duo now is to get developers working on support. Windows developers will work on 2 screen support of NEO and Android developers will start working on support for Duo. Pulling a fast one like you suggest will destroy all developer efforts for the Duo and they will be back with a device that has less than 1% of the market and does nothing to support Nadella and MS's vision and plans.

“The operating system is no longer the most important layer for us,” was the message from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella yesterday.
    10-04-19 05:13 PM
    You don't see much about RedHat and SUSE because like BlackBerry Limited their main focus is on the Enterprise. They don't have offerings for the enduser consumer market.
    CentOS and Fedora? OpenSuSE?

Overall though, I have to agree that there are plenty of enterprise level software that consumers never see. Even BlackBerry's consumer segment was more or less accidental because of the lack of compelling alternatives. Their business was always trying to sell BES licenses as opposed to handsets. When consumers became interested in their devices all they did was cook up BIS, which took out the management and inside the firewall aspects of BES.
    10-04-19 05:35 PM
    Come on guys and gals, the big giant hole in my argument was that microsoft indeed is in the consumer brand and therefore corporate mindset space in a big way with Office alone (the rest is always shifting murkiness -not equating to bad, just murky...like everything IBM offers)....Office is practically a monopoly corporatewise, Google plays second fiddle cause its much less functional and refined with its office offerings..office being a truly desktop focused application first..and not a cloudy browser tool extension set...so even less than BlackBerry I would suggest does Microsoft need to be in the hardware business, yet it persists....not for the big profits (at least since the last draw of the Winphone lose)....but certainly not for massive hemmoraging . What do you think for? Same as Google. Got to keep the toes in there for something, not to drown, but not to run away from the water either...but not expecting to win the swim meet anytime soon or ever. Is Cylance supposed to be that visibility tool for BlackBerry? or should they too keep their swimsuits on and their toes wet?
    10-04-19 05:58 PM
    Come on guys and gals, the big giant hole in my argument was that microsoft indeed is in the consumer brand and therefore corporate mindset space in a big way with Office alone (the rest is always shifting murkiness -not equating to bad, just murky...like everything IBM offers)....Office is practically a monopoly corporatewise, Google plays second fiddle cause its much less functional and refined with its office offerings..office being a truly desktop focused application first..and not a cloudy browser tool extension set...so even less than BlackBerry I would suggest does Microsoft need to be in the hardware business, yet it persists....not for the big profits (at least since the last draw of the Winphone lose)....but certainly not for massive hemmoraging . What do you think for? Same as Google. Got to keep the toes in there for something, not to drown, but not to run away from the water either...but not expecting to win the swim meet anytime soon or ever. Is Cylance supposed to be that visibility tool for BlackBerry? or should they too keep their swimsuits on and their toes wet?
    Microsoft is in hardware to help define the market for its hundreds of OEMs that sell its core offerings. Moreover, it makes a profit selling its hardware

BlackBerry has no such distribution network and no hope of turning a profit. Also, they have no plans to ever re-enter the market for consumer electronics ever again.

If you replace swimsuit with a hazmat suit and water with toxic waste, you'll have a better analogy of how BlackBerry Limited views consumer hardware.

Posted via CB10
    eshropshire likes this.
    10-04-19 06:08 PM
    Microsoft is in hardware to help define the market for its hundreds of OEMs that sell its core offerings. Moreover, it makes a profit selling its hardware

If you replace swimsuit with a hazmat suit and water with toxic waste, you'll have a better analogy of how BlackBerry Limited views consumer hardware.
    Posted via CB10
    Lol...unless we're equating toxic waste with privacy and security (and maybe some consumers wake up and realize they've been living in the Love Canal.)
    ...otherwise BlackBerry the Hepa-filter Brand for Allergy relief, and long-life green certified brand BB10/BBOS (lol)
    10-04-19 06:48 PM
    I don't expect much from TCL. Their business priorities are their business.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    10-04-19 07:50 PM
    My take is that TCL is giving some minor lip service to BB until they run out the 5 year licensing clock, and then, after not having released a new device for 2.5 years, will announce that they tried their best but regrettably, the BB licensing just didn't work out for their market. I suspect that they will do this to meet the bare minimum of "supporting" the BB brand per the terms of their licensing contract.
    10-04-19 09:27 PM
102 123 ...