For those people who are saying that it's impossible for firmware to send data without software knowing about it, just watch this video:

I'm not saying that TCL does it, but it's possible without BlackBerry knowing that thing.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    berrydroid likes this.
    12-28-16 03:50 PM
    Are you honestly thinking that BlackBerry will allow a device that sends your info back to the Chinese mothership? Really?
    Not likely. the scheme was embedded utility software "intended" to be used for firmware update, so it has the capability to access the radio. If BB in full control of the update, most likely, it not use the "3rd party" software to do according to the info http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...re-adups-news/
    Blu appearantly the only one get hit - unless you brought the handset from china directly... (not NA "compliant" what ever that means...handset). (IMHO, BB should be in all the handset sold in NA ;-).
    However, the privacy setting in china is rather different, business week got an article about alibaba, Baidu and Uber like Didichuxing, collect all kind of data that capable of monitoring the business based on traffic, activity using locational data from cell phone or others - spending habit on malls, movies, etc.. "Big-Data gurus see what the cadres don't". i am sure it will happen soon or later here IMHO... Currently, you would need court order to obtain cell data, but appear open case for the other side of the world...
    Last edited by stlabrat; 12-28-16 at 04:26 PM.
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    12-28-16 04:03 PM
    Until it's actually found in a TCL BlackBerry, whatevs. The same thing has been found in various other products now NOT produced by TCL. On top of that, the ADUPS software isn't used on the current DTEK50 or DTEK60 as the updater uses the built in one. And one other kicker to kill the hyperbole, it has only been found in devices using MediaTek processors, which are not in any BlackBerry or BlackBerry-branded device, thus far. If the updater changes and they start using ADUPS - Be suspicious. If they switch to MediaTek processors - Be suspicious. Until then, put away your tinfoil hats.

BLU
    Backdoor in some cheap Android phones sent personal data to China | Android Central
    Barnes & Noble removes malware from $50 Nook tablet, but you still shouldn't buy it | Android Central
    12-28-16 05:18 PM
    Party pooper. 😂
    12-28-16 06:08 PM
    Until it's actually found in a TCL BlackBerry, whatevs. The same thing has been found in various other products now NOT produced by TCL. On top of that, the ADUPS software isn't used on the current DTEK50 or DTEK60 as the updater uses the built in one. And one other kicker to kill the hyperbole, it has only been found in devices using MediaTek processors, which are not in any BlackBerry or BlackBerry-branded device, thus far. If the updater changes and they start using ADUPS - Be suspicious. If they switch to MediaTek processors - Be suspicious. Until then, put away your tinfoil hats.

BLU
    Backdoor in some cheap Android phones sent personal data to China | Android Central
    Barnes & Noble removes malware from $50 Nook tablet, but you still shouldn't buy it | Android Central
    I hate it when facts get in the way of a good narrative.
    12-28-16 06:24 PM
    Not trying to play devil's advocate here but...I seem to recall a patch for the DTEK app that needed to be applied to the DTEK50/60 due to the "OS has been compromised" error:
    http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-i...-device-status
    As usual no one at BlackBerry really clarified what caused the issue or whether it was related to TCL hardware...but it certainly raises some interesting questions about the "security" of TCL-built devices in that it triggered BlackBerry's own monitoring app.
    Last edited by kputock; 12-28-16 at 08:20 PM.
    12-28-16 08:07 PM
    Not trying to play devil's advocate here but...I seem to recall a patch for the DTEK app that needed to be applied to the DTEK50/60 due to the "OS has been compromised" error:
    BlackBerry investigating their DTEK app incorrectly stating device status | CrackBerry.com
    As usual no one at BlackBerry really clarified what caused the issue or whether it was related to TCL hardware...but it certainly raises some interesting questions about the "security" of TCL-built devices in that it triggered BlackBerry's own monitoring app.
    The same issue applied to the Priv, which was completely BlackBerry's thing, though.
    12-28-16 08:41 PM
    The same issue applied to the Priv, which was completely BlackBerry's thing, though.
    That doesn't mean anything.
    Neither the priv nor the dteks sport BlackBerry designed and manufactured ICs.

I should point out though that the original poster didn't claim that a BlackBerry phone was sending data. Only a TLC one.

The rest of the discussion was about whether BlackBerry's software can detect hardware malware facilitators embedded unbeknownst to BlackBerry in the ICs used in the phone.
    Neither Bla1ze nor you, nor Conite have been able to refute the scientific paper posted here in one of the links above and the associated ComputerWorld article that this remains a possibility.

As usual, instead of providing some technical proof, you provide statements/slogans or childish one liners.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 08:49 PM
    I hate it when facts get in the way of a good narrative.
    Lol +1

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 08:51 PM
    That doesn't mean anything.
    Neither the priv nor the dteks sport BlackBerry designed and manufactured ICs.

I should point out though that the original poster didn't claim that a BlackBerry phone was sending data. Only a TLC one.
    And yet...

12-28-16 08:53 PM
    You are not answering his question. You are just repeating a slogan from BlackBerry that does not talk about hardware at all.

Posted via CB10
    There was no question.
    12-28-16 08:56 PM
    This "China is the bogeyman" theme is quite silly -but it does make for entertaining reading.

I had no idea we had so many in the tin foil hat club.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport.
    Tsepz_GP and anon(9169048) like this.
    12-28-16 08:57 PM
    This is a quote from the abstract of the paper.
    It can be done on a Qualcomm chip as well as Mediatek chip.
    It can be done by the foundry, whichever and wherever that may be.
    Qualcomm doesn't fab its chips in US. Neither does MediaTek.
    It can be done. It doesn't necessarily mean that it was done in this case, but it proves that it is very difficult for BlackBerry to claim that they control the security of third party hardware.

It's done with Analog circuits embedded in the processor by a third party.
    They are not even digital circuits that can be controlled by software.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 414963

Attachment 414964

Attachment 414965
    Attachment 414966
    Last edited by sorinv; 12-28-16 at 09:56 PM.
    berrydroid likes this.
    12-28-16 09:25 PM
    Awww crap. Guess I need to get rid of this ASAP.
    Attached Thumbnails TCL sending customers data to China-img_20161229_132600.jpg  
    12-28-16 11:27 PM
    Awww crap. Guess I need to get rid of this ASAP.
    Too late now.
    You should have done it 16 years ago ;-)

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 11:32 PM
    If you are worried about this, then you shouldn't own a Bank account, car, home, heck you should get off the grid as you never know what is being tracked.

It's hilarious how something like this will have the Tin Foil Hats up in arms when they are being tracked in multiple other ways. Acting as if they are the Edward Snowdens of the smartphone world, lol.
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    12-29-16 03:14 AM
    If you are worried about this, then you shouldn't own a Bank account, car, home, heck you should get off the grid as you never know what is being tracked.

It's hilarious how something like this will have the Tin Foil Hats up in arms when they are being tracked in multiple other ways. Acting as if they are the Edward Snowdens of the smartphone world, lol.
    You wouldn't be laughing if you lived in a Government controlled State that has no qualms about executing it's citizens for sending an email that contains what it deems counter-revolutionary material.
    12-29-16 04:16 AM
    You wouldn't be laughing if you lived in a Government controlled State that has no qualms about executing it's citizens for sending an email that contains what it deems counter-revolutionary material.
    If our current government has their way, it may become like that where I am, very soon.

Chances are most of them are watching, and you should rather keep that sort of conversation to a face to face if you are that concerned.
    12-29-16 04:22 AM
    This "China is the bogeyman" theme is quite silly -but it does make for entertaining reading.

That's because most of the time they are either in therapy or hiding in the basement.
    jefbeard911 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    12-29-16 04:47 AM

It's truly hilarious.

So many of them are also so convinced that their data has been safe this whole time.
    12-29-16 06:52 AM
    I wonder, what sort of clandestine activities some people here are involved in.
    12-29-16 07:20 AM
    Are you honestly thinking that BlackBerry will allow a device that sends your info back to the Chinese mothership? Really?
    They already do. Every app you install on an androidberry does this.
    12-29-16 07:36 AM
    I wonder, what sort of clandestine activities some people here are involved in.
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/you-may-ha...something-fear
    grover5 likes this.
    12-29-16 07:38 AM

You new here?

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    12-29-16 07:53 AM
    They already do. Every app you install on an androidberry does this.
    Secretly, to the Chinese government?

This is very different from agreeing to the Google terms of service, whereby information is used to target advertising to the user in exchange for a large number of free services.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-29-16 08:16 AM
101 1234 ...