Not really. The KEY1/2 specs were weak and they tried to get it into multiple retailers/ wireless providers @ only $5-700 USD.
    07-15-20 05:34 PM
    I'm talking about an existing Android maker creating a "BlackBerry version" of a device that simply has a keybaord. That's all we need.
    HUB can be installed, etc.

The device could be sold online at $999 so margins are not an issue and you build very limited quantity and super limited/targeted marketing online.

My issue with the Priv and TCL devices was that they tried to restore the brand. Yes, that was a failure for a plethora of reasons.
    But that doesn't mean there is NO DEMAND for ONE keyboard devices to remain on the market.

There are many Android devices that don't sell remotely close to the same as Samsung or Apple obviously.
    There’s not enough demand for anyone to pay for the BlackBerry Limited name. If Android/IOS OEM wants to build just the PKB hardware, they would just do it on there own. When any of them feels there’s enough demand, then poof, you’ll have it.
    07-15-20 06:56 PM
    I'm talking about an existing Android maker creating a "BlackBerry version" of a device that simply has a keybaord. That's all we need.
    HUB can be installed, etc.

The device could be sold online at $999 so margins are not an issue and you build very limited quantity and super limited/targeted marketing online.

My issue with the Priv and TCL devices was that they tried to restore the brand. Yes, that was a failure for a plethora of reasons.
    But that doesn't mean there is NO DEMAND for ONE keyboard devices to remain on the market.

There are many Android devices that don't sell remotely close to the same as Samsung or Apple obviously.
    Not sure I'd count on HUB+ running on any new phones that will have Android 11 on them soon. It's going to take BlackBerry updating HUB+ for that to happen.... its still a possibility, but not a guarantee.

$999 PKB phone... I doubt you'd see much "demand" for it. Think middle of the road is a wiser choice. Samsung A51 or Nokia 5.3..... with a $75 -$100 adder for a PKB and low volume. Even then I suspect sales won't hit 1 Million units, but it would be nice to get it settled.... but then people would say they didn't market it enough or the $75 added to too much of a premium, or the color wasn't right.

No one is saying there is NO DEMAND, only that the DEMAND that TCL has shown there to be... doesn't seem to interest any of the major players. At least not right now. LG, Sony, Leveno/Moto... they are all seeing sales disappear. They all have PKB designs in their past.... maybe in a year, one of them with take a risk?
    07-16-20 08:01 AM
    DIdn't Seacrest try something similar and ended up losing the legal battle with Blackberry? Unfortunately, even creating a pkb sleeve would end up coming up with a retaliatory lawsuit. I'd still consider just that case, but I won't be holding my breath anytime soon for this to come about.
    07-16-20 04:56 PM
    Seacrest's case was basically an exact copy of a BlackBerry keyboard. As stated above, other makers have made PKB in the past. The Q10 is flanked by a Samsung and an LG slider. BB doesn't own the concept.
    Attached Thumbnails TCL Key 3, TCL Plex 2-img_20200716_1713022.jpg  
    Last edited by Kato659; 07-16-20 at 07:59 PM.
    07-16-20 06:18 PM
    Seacrest's case was basically an exact copy a BlackBerry keyboard. As stated above, other makers have made PKB in the past. The Q10 is flanked by a Samsung and an LG slider. BB doesn't own the concept.
    They definitely perfected it. Q10 to this day still looks damn good. 😎🤟
    07-16-20 07:54 PM
    Yeah Seacrest mistake was to make an exact copy of BlackBerry's.... not once but twice.

Thing is there wasn't as much of a market for the product as was originally hoped. Others could see that, and didn't bother filling the gap. And even Samsung gave up on the PKB attachments for their phones.

Now one does wonder that without a real PKB... if an attachment would do better. Was someone working on one here, back months ago. Wonder how that's going?
    07-17-20 07:51 AM
    The majority of cell phone users AREN'T using PKBs. They did not come rushing to buy the Key 1 and 2 because it isn't important to them. If TCL hoped to bring back former BB users, they needed to have a more compelling reason beside PKBs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-20-20 06:27 PM
    The majority of cell phone users AREN'T using PKBs. They did not come rushing to buy the Key 1 and 2 because it isn't important to them. If TCL hoped to bring back former BB users, they needed to have a more compelling reason beside PKBs.
    If Samsung pushed out a Galaxy KEY S20 and a KEY version of the A51... and sold them for the same price as the slabs. I suspect even then there wouldn't be a compelling reason for PKB's. But we will never see that, as PKB add cost to manufacturing and to support. Plus user here would say their too big or too tall for the keys aren't clicky or they are too soft or they are too hard. Or I'll wait three years for the price to drop to what's reasonable... then use it for another five years.
    07-21-20 08:39 AM
    Saw a youtube video for a nice 5g key3 but it was probably fake

Posted via CB10
    07-21-20 03:21 PM
    Saw a youtube video for a nice 5g key3 but it was probably fake

Posted via CB10
    Ya think?!!
    07-21-20 03:47 PM
    I hear folks complain all the time how they miss their PKB devices and miss the simple days when they just used their Blackberry devices for emails, messaging and internet access.

But, I honestly think the majority of folks are so invested in their current OS with apps and such, wether they want to admit it or not, the slab touchscreen devices are here to stay and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

I would have loved to see BlackBerry sell the rights to OS10 to someone like Microsoft who has the financial and engineering resources to take it to the next level, but that’s just a pipe dream, but we can still dream.
    07-21-20 03:56 PM
37 12