I listened to the podcast with Cistulli and have gotten the overview on BlackBerry Mobile.

One thing I'm not sure I heard is if TCL will continue to build non blackberry devices.

Also, licensing the OS doesn't mean the OS is able to handle any android compatible device, so I don't think they could just load it onto another phone that BlackBerry doesn't support.

So does that mean TCL is also out of the handset business and will be doing so through BlackBerry Mobile ONLY going forward?
    02-22-17 12:29 AM
    In various news articles, TCL says that they are going to continue with Alcatel and BlackBerry although they may contain similar components. BlackBerry being marketed to enthusiasts and business. Alcatel will have a broader focus, more of what they are doing now.

Seems as if BlackBerry Mobile wants to make the types of phones that would appeal the BlackBerry base.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-22-17 01:12 AM
    BlackBerryMobile will only make BlackBerry devices. TCL will be making Alcatel devices and whatever else they have in their portfolio.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 03:38 AM
    They also own the rights to use the Palm brand, but I believe they just bought them to avoid its resurgence (they probably decided, months and months ago, to either save BlackBerry or resurrect Palm and get into the pkb phones market).
    02-22-17 04:59 AM
    They also own the rights to use the Palm brand, but I believe they just bought them to avoid its resurgence (they probably decided, months and months ago, to either save BlackBerry or resurrect Palm and get into the pkb phones market).
    I'm not even sure what OS they'd even run on a Palm device. I would assume Android since WebOS is owned by LG.
    02-22-17 05:22 AM
    Posted to wrong thread.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-23-17 at 01:09 AM.
    02-22-17 10:03 AM
    I'm not even sure what OS they'd even run on a Palm device. I would assume Android since WebOS is owned by LG.
    Be careful, the same people who still believe that BB 10 isn't dead, could argue that LG keeps developing WebOS for its TVs hahahahaha.
    02-22-17 11:13 AM
    From a BB7 review from PC Mag Sept 2011.

Overall, BlackBerry 7 is a disappointment. RIM needed to deliver something groundbreaking with this latest round of new smartphones, and it didn't. BlackBerry 7 is better than BlackBerry 6, but it's weaker than its major competitors, iOS and Android, in pretty much every area except for enterprise security and battery management.

The lack of third-party apps is Research In Motion's single biggest issue, and it may only get worse. RIM is about to shift to a radically new OS, QNX, which may draw developers' attention away from BlackBerry 7. Even if QNX brings better multitasking, dual-core CPU support, improved graphics, a mobile hotspot feature, Exchange integration, and a smoother UI that looks and works more coherently, all of those things will only put QNX on par with what we already have on Android devices. RIM needs to run faster to keep up.
    But, I could use my Curve 9360 as a hotspot with no issues at all.
    02-22-17 11:16 AM
    From a BB7 review from PC Mag Sept 2011.

RIM needs to run faster to keep up.
    That's the key and correct conclusion. Had they done android in 2007 it still wouldn't have been faster... it would have been a copycat.
    They had one innovation once. It made them successful.
    They were unique.
    It was at a time Steve Jobs did not know what a smartphone was and Sergey Brin was in school.
    It's unlikely that they'll have a similar hit.
    It rarely happens twice.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-17 09:38 PM