This is typical of a buyout. There is a period where the previous ownership is obligated to stay, and during that time they learn quickly that they cannot stand the fact that they are no longer in charge.

This is why Bikoff insisted he got to run Glaceau when he sold it to Coke. He wanted the money and he wanted to run the company. But this type of deal is rare.
    Yeah I agree with this and others reasoning at least as the most probable scenario. RIM bought them outright and it wasn't being run as a subsidiary.

Whatever the case I wish him luck!
    08-01-12 08:34 AM
    I dont really see this as a good thing. TAT is his baby so to speak and for him to just leave and have no part of it seems kinda odd.
    There are a lot of people like this in the business world: they thrive on the challenge of building up a company and then once it's developed and running they move onto the next interesting concept they have. More than likely, he's already got a new idea that's been brewing for awhile that holds more interest than TAT does at this time. The baby has grown up and moved out of the house...
    08-01-12 09:56 AM
    I think a more telling Tweet came in reply to a question about why the "organizer app" shown at DevCon '11 hasn't been seen yet. There seems to be some frustration in his reply...

Hampus Jakobsson ‏@hajak
    @jpinkerton you should probably ask @BlackBerry that, right?

I think, like a lot of us, he was hoping to see more TAT fingerprints on the BB UI (PB and BB7) by this point. Seems he didn't like all the teasing either.
    08-01-12 10:05 AM
    Look for a tat look a like on apple in the near future.
    08-01-12 10:09 AM
    That sums it up right there. I'm sure he'll want to look back one day and see that TAT's influence was one of the primary reasons for the resurgence of the RIM empire but he will move on and do more amazing things, I'm sure of it. Definitely will start following him to get first heads up.
    I fail to see any resurgence and with the continual delays in the release of BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 2.1 and BlackBerry 10 any enthusiasm must be tempered with reality. This week Mike "The Clueless" Clewely confirmed in a backhanded way that there is no release date for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 2.1.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-12 10:26 AM
    what is tat actually for?
    08-01-12 10:27 AM
    While I agree him leaving before the release of the BB10 UI is a bit suspect, BUT if he would stick around just until then that is a good 5 months away to stick around is a long time if you've got the itch.

Also I suspect he wasn't really a code monkey and his Vision of the UI has probably been altered though the new corporate structure in the last 6 months, now that the cascades TOOLS are mostly out, I suspect the UI excitement is done.
    The other (and actually most likely - see below) reason is because he looked at what RIM is doing with BB10 and had a eureka moment. He probably saw something he can make to compliment BB10....

I will be excited to know how long it takes him to get a new start up going.
    He's already working on it. If your an information designer, he's looking for you hajak
    08-01-12 10:36 AM
    The real question is who is he taking with him???

TAT was a company, and you can buy a company and any patents it owned. But you can't buy talent, and that was really TAT most valuable assist and the one thing that RIM needed the most. He might not have been doing the day to day code work, but for TAT to have been valuable he had to have been one of it's main assists.

Whatever the cause, I don't think RIM will be the better for it
    08-01-12 01:09 PM
    @scalemaster34 you're right and if he's taking people with him then there is probably a bigger issue at play here. From past experience with top talent leaving there can be others that follow, whether due to loyalty or interest.

@deRusset, NDAs usually last a year so it would be that long before he has an official project I would say.
    08-01-12 06:09 PM
    Just went to his twitter account to see if could get more insight - this is what i got:

1. John Pinkerton‏@jpinkerton
    @hajak where's that organizing app that was demoed at devcon 11?

11hHampus Jakobsson‏@hajak
    @jpinkerton you should probably ask @BlackBerry that, right?

2. devinher‏@devinher
    @hajak can you give a hint as to what your new start up will deal with?

9hHampus Jakobsson‏@hajak
    @devinher visualization of enterprise data so that a company can improve ops. Think google analytics for internal info. But beautiful

3. Hampus Jakobsson‏@hajak
    @BlackBerry I'll be cheering from the sidelines and one of the first in line for a BlackBerry 10 phone when available

What does it suggest (try to read between the lines/tweets) .... moving on.... maybe not too happy about some of RIM's decisions, eager to see BB10 and working with RIM has given him some insight into enterprise challenges.

... and he still has his iphone and this is what he thinks of it:

"ahhhh… oops You should know that it is turning too complex too - "there's a setting for that" should be the slogan… "
    mithrazor likes this.
    08-01-12 08:04 PM
    Believe It or Not: Apple Chip Guru Decamps for AMD - Businessweek

Append appropriate comments of doom. What does this guy know that he would jump ship right before their new phone is about to be released?
    08-01-12 08:59 PM
    Believe It or Not: Apple Chip Guru Decamps for AMD - Businessweek

Append appropriate comments of doom. What does this guy know that he would jump ship right before their new phone is about to be released?
    I'm not sure there's a huge mystery or conspiracy about this.

AMD are struggling, and I'd bet they've offered this chip design guru trailer-loads of cash to come and sprinkle some of his magic on their designs.

Offer of riches + Chance of new challenges = cheery wave goodbye.
    08-02-12 01:13 AM
    I'm not sure there's a huge mystery or conspiracy about this.

AMD are struggling, and I'd bet they've offered this chip design guru trailer-loads of cash to come and sprinkle some of his magic on their designs.

Offer of riches + Chance of new challenges = cheery wave goodbye.
    I think he was being sarcastic
    08-02-12 01:46 AM
    I think he was being sarcastic
    Ahh...

My excuse for being dense was that it was early here and I hadn't had my breakfast yet. And as you'll realise from other threads in the Playbook forum, oatmeal can have positively mind-altering effects!!! LOL
    08-02-12 03:30 AM
    It's just funny how without ANY real details, people can figure out who is running from a sinking ship while others are grabbing appropriate opportunities...

Any departure from RIM bodes ill, yet any other departure is just business as usual. Right, gotcha...

Armchair CEOs...
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-02-12 11:25 AM
    It's just funny how without ANY real details, people can figure out who is running from a sinking ship while others are grabbing appropriate opportunities...

Any departure from RIM bodes ill, yet any other departure is just business as usual. Right, gotcha...

Armchair CEOs...
    Haven't you figured out by now any less than rosy news about RIM is another nail
    in a coffin which by now appears to be made completely of nails.
    mithrazor likes this.
    08-02-12 11:45 AM

Armchair CEOs...
    Your right it COULD be either case. Of course normally when someone leaves the company will announce where they are going and sometimes even what they will be doing with their new company. This usually indicates that the person has left on good terms and are only pursing a better opportunities (no problems that stockholders need to be worried about went on). Has RIM acknowledged that he is leaving in any way?

As for sinking ships... RIM isn't a "business as usual" company right now - for everyone that leaves it will be assumed they "don't want to go down with the ship". Again if RIM had a PR department to make announcements and know how to properly spin things, before leaks were allowed to become the truth... RIM might do a little better.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-02-12 11:53 AM
    Read this on the crackberry blogs. Unfortunate, yes, but the world rolls on. He has other ideas to invent.
    08-02-12 12:10 PM
    hajak

For those who wants to know whats he's up to.
    08-02-12 01:46 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD