This is only Blackberry related as I want to do it with BB phones, I am hoping that some posters here will have the tech knowledge to help me.

I have been playing with QR's for a few weeks now and am developing a QR trail around my nature reserve, this can all be done with text and sound QR's but I would like to make it more exciting and techy!

My ideal would be for the QR to open video clips and photo's that are stored on the phone. Is there a way to address a QR to go deep into the phone to open files?

Things you need to know about my set up

I have been donated a number of Blackberry Bold mobile phones that I want to use.
    They will be dumb phones (no sim card)
    The woodland they will be used in is remote with no phone signal or wifi available

I am experimenting with a simple web server app and can get as far as file:/// using the QR but I need to get as far as file:/// photo01.jpg

Any help appreciated.
    02-11-13 04:35 AM
    A quick test resulted in a fail, but maybe with a better generator. What Bold do you have? If it's a 9900, then NFC will work well.
    02-11-13 06:52 AM
    For local files use: file:///SDCard/file.png
    BigBadWulf and rog8811 like this.
    02-11-13 06:55 AM
    If it's a 9900, then NFC will work well.
    The phones are 9700 & 9780. do they work with smart tags?

Should that work as written? I ask as for some reason I cannot find the SD card listed within file:/// on the server page.

I should add that I know nothing of what I do with Blackberry phones, but can follow instructions!
    02-11-13 11:54 AM
    Far as the Bolds you have, they don't have NFC capability.

I'll have to play more with the QR coding this evening, unless someone comes by and saves the day.
    02-11-13 01:52 PM
    I'll have to play more with the QR coding this evening
    Thanks, I have got a step further, as long as the phone is disconnected from my computer I can get this far....
    http://192.168.1.81:80/SDCard
    This is just one step short of the movie file I want to get to run from the QR,
    So I added it in
    http://192.168.1.81:80/SDCard/5sec.3gp
    It did not work

I tried putting the movie in the root and running the following QR
    http://192.168.1.81:80/5sec.3gp
    No joy.......
    Last edited by rog8811; 02-11-13 at 02:19 PM. Reason: converting to a semblance of english
    02-11-13 02:18 PM
    This definitely works, but through the BlackBerry World scanner only so far (I'm not loading every QR scanner app on my phone ). I wonder if BlackBerry World will work on a disabled phone, using an older (pre-BBID) version.
    rog8811 likes this.
    02-12-13 08:29 AM
    Thank you for your continued input.
    This definitely works, but through the BlackBerry World scanner only so far
    OK, I assume this is not the BBm scanner you are meaning, I did try it and could get no sense out of it other than it is the quickest at getting the QR photo.

I have also tried:-
    QR Code Scanner By Newgen Graphics which does nothing useful, uninstalled again
    QR Code Scanner By Unibera Software Solutions which has got me closest, getting too the SDCard
    Lynkee Reader slower than the one above and gets as far as SDCard.
    Still looking for the one you mention.....

For local files use: file:///SDCard/5sec.3gp
    The scanners I have tried seem to treat this as text not an address.

Whilst on the subject of looking, have I missed a setting in BBworld (on pc)?
    A search for QR gets no results, unless you know the full name of the app it will not find anything which is a bit frustrating.
    Last edited by rog8811; 02-12-13 at 02:47 PM.
    02-12-13 02:19 PM
    *SUCCESS* QR Scan Now By David Jones II
    Does the trick!

Thanks for helping me to get there.

It shows that not all QR readers are created equal.
    Last edited by rog8811; 02-12-13 at 03:43 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-12-13 03:31 PM
    A final update as it may be of use to others, remember this is using QR code to open a file on the Blackberry via file:///sdcard/word.doc

QR Scan Now By David Jones II was found to work perfectly on the Bold 9780....
    When I tried installing on the Bold 9700 phones it did not work, even though the app was marked as working with v5.0, so the search was on.

I tried:-
    Beetagg
    QR Code Scanner Pro by Jared
    Neo reader
    Upcode
    Barcode scanner
    Carpet one QR scanner
    i-nigma

All of which worked as scanners, they just did not go to the file and open it. (some assumed the file path was a URL others assumed it was text)

Codee reader .. is the one that works, it is not perfect as it doesn't always auto photo but it does what I want.
    02-14-13 02:58 PM