But is Android the reason people buy the Galaxy and Note? Or is it Samsung?
    For me it's both. I prefer the Galaxy line over the HTC and I will never again buy a device with Motoblur.

So for me it's Samsung when I get an Android device.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-07-13 03:01 AM
    Samsung makes everything, if there is a profit they make it.

Fridges, ovens, tvs, coffemakers, microwaves, android phones, bada phones, windows phones, **** theyd probably make a iphone if they could.

This type of company succeeds rapidly by engaging new environments.

As long as its profitable they make it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    As I remember growing up, they copied everyone into each one of those markets. Never #1 Now look at the fan base from such a history!
    01-07-13 04:49 AM
    Probably a combination of both. The non-overwhelming sales of their Bada phones says people won't just buy it because its made by Samsung. It probably goes along the lines of..... "Ok, I want a smartphone.... Android has a lot going for it, and Samsung makes the best Android phones."
    Have you ever seen a Samsung Bada commercial? They never seemed to push it too hard, but I have a feeling Tizen will get the marketing dollars.
    01-07-13 08:09 AM
    Two observations:

1. 90% of theft from retail is employee theft, not external theft.
    2. I guarantee that Best Buy is losing more margin from lost sales due to crappy experience than it is saving from thwarting the occasional thief.
    Not in a store our size its not, with mandatory bag checks in place and a staff of 6. And on a personal note, don't appreciate the insinuation.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-07-13 09:48 AM
    The articles I've read have state the North America market will probable not see a Tizen powered phone anytime soon. That Samsung would be using these device in lower cost device in developing markets with the need of an ecosystem to support the device was not required. Doesn't mean that if it sold well, if it started getting support in these markets and if Google tried do anything "funny" that Samsung wouldn't start pushing devices with Tizen here.

Just think for now Samsung wants options and is being smart by keeping them open and keeping Google in line as it were.

The same article mentioned Tizen analog with a Firefox smartphone and an OS based on one on the Linux distributions - all were expect to be released next year. And it mentioned some of these would the sub $100 smartphones not on contract. They will be very attractive to someone that just wants a phone and a web connections, and run any apps that are or will be available.
    01-07-13 12:48 PM
    I think eventually, Samsung may move away from Android if Tizen is a good OS and it has an Android app player like BB10 (which I think it does). With the lawsuits and behavior of Google, plus the fact that Android may be free, but access to Google Play and Google Maps, etc. is NOT free - Samsung is paying for that. My guess is that under a certain combination of factors (Google becomes more of a direct competitor, Android starts to fall behind, Samsung beefs up Tizen and its own service offerings, Android lawsuits become too encumbering). Likely Samsung will dip its toes in the water, and I don't anticipate them moving away without attempting a smooth transition so as to not disrupt its cash cow - it'll be a strategic move to augment it.
    01-07-13 02:10 PM
    I wouldn't put it past Samsung to move with Tizen sometime in the future. They have enough monies to make it happen and brand loyalty.

With that said, I dont see it happening anytime soon and this is just getting their ducks in order.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    01-07-13 03:34 PM
    01-07-13 03:45 PM
    That's insane.

BergerKing likes this.
    01-07-13 05:36 PM
    This is all pretty simple. Samsung wants to be king of everything they have their hands on. Just so happens, they have their hands on a lot of things. To think they would ditch Android for something else entirely, is just an outright crazy notion. They will however, invest into other areas where they think they can be leaders.

Everyone likes to poke fun at Samsung but they're an insanely smart company. Yes, even with the whole ripping off of Apple. Think about it, even that was a very calculated and precise move. They rode the wave built up their product lines and now that they're over the wave, they've come out of it all pretty unscathed. Essentially, they punk'd Apple and made a name for themselves in the market while doing it.

Aside from alllllllllll of that, did anyone really think Samsung would sit back and wait for Android to top out without having something else planned to swap it out for eventually? Of course not, you don't stay on top by resting on your laurels. *cough* RIM.. 5 years after the iPhone *cough*.. Just sayin'
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-07-13 06:34 PM
    Of course not, you don't stay on top by resting on your laurels. *cough* RIM.. 5 years after the iPhone *cough*.. Just sayin'
    I want to put this on a T shirt, a meme, a wallpaper....

01-07-13 06:52 PM
    Everyone likes to poke fun at Samsung but they're an insanely smart company. Yes, even with the whole ripping off of Apple.
    That part is debateable. They had a similar designed device out months before the iPhone. Its like when Steve Jobs used to cry like a baby over how Android ripped off iOS yet forgot that Android was developed before iOS.
    Apple have a habit of ripping of other people's ideas and claiming it as their own. And they dont appear to have changed seeing as they've filed to patent the notification tray that they blatantly stole from Android
    01-07-13 07:09 PM
    As I remember growing up, they copied everyone into each one of those markets. Never #1 Now look at the fan base from such a history!
    The same could be said about Apple, except that they were smart enough to get patents, some of which bordered on the ridiculous to the detriment of innovation. One of the patents they sued Samsung over was the square with rounded corners.
    01-07-13 09:20 PM
    It amazes me how cheap carriers can off samsung and iphone for so cheap. Blackberry's are never over subsidized.
    01-07-13 11:37 PM
    It amazes me how cheap carriers can off samsung and iphone for so cheap. Blackberry's are never over subsidized.
    That's not true, My torch was dirt cheap (AT&T) as well as my bold.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 11:40 PM
    For me it's both. I prefer the Galaxy line over the HTC and I will never again buy a device with Motoblur.

So for me it's Samsung when I get an Android device.

When it was the choice of Moto and the SII, the Motorola was the winner over that because of the reliability of hardware factor. Then came the SIII, which overcomes the reliability problem, and blows the Photon I had out of the water. Especially speedwise.

As far as them experimenting with alternate OSes, they are getting to be big enough to expand the universe of mobile experiences. They sell more handsets than the rest combined, if I recall reading the story the other day. I dunno that Google will beat them at the handset game, probably won't even land in the same ball park. But I could see them trying to clamp down on a competitor, especially if they don't do as well as they think they should.
    01-07-13 11:57 PM
    That's insane.

Makes good business sense, especially if they're getting them into other hands. You and I both know they've built a red-hot handset with the SIII, and the Note 2 has gone nuclear, and a high-powered S IV could make the iPhone Rainbow go a lot dimmer.
    01-08-13 12:03 AM
    Samsung is making phones for WP8, at least 3 ? versions of android, and soon Tiezen. They could produce a great phone for ios, BB10, ubuntu, sailfish (?) or whatever they decided to. Specs are specs, and they are now building a great phone....for now. Its amazing how things are cyclical.
    01-08-13 01:04 AM
    Google can fork it, and still call it Android. As long as it runs existing Android apps, it's "Android," even if it is proprietary and has apps that only a new version can run.

I expect that the "X Phone" will be just such an offshoot. Google is furious at Samsung and HTC for making Android handsets that don't use the standard Android UI, and I expect they'll punish 'em with an "advanced phone" that does stuff that generic Android doesn't. Android is already fragmented to ****, and Google's recent YouTube and Maps shenanigans with Microsoft show that Google doesn't care about ruining user experience if it thinks it can benefit by slamming a competitor.
    I think you know good and well that's not the case. Google doesn't give a rats a$s about Microsoft, nor should they. In the current state of things, Microsoft has nothing Google wants, not even the happiness of its users. Samsung and HTC on the other hand are not competitors of Google. Period whatsoever. You couldn't be more wrong in thinking Google is "furious" at its android partners for doing exactly what they have encouraged them in doing since the inception of Android. Google likely loves the current state of the mobile market, and whatever phone is being developed with Motorola's name is likely a device in queue with its nexus line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ynomrah; 01-08-13 at 03:18 AM.
    01-08-13 02:53 AM
    can they even manufacture that quickly

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-08-13 04:09 AM
    Samsung is making phones for WP8, at least 3 ? versions of android, and soon Tiezen. They could produce a great phone for ios, BB10, ubuntu, sailfish (?) or whatever they decided to. Specs are specs, and they are now building a great phone....for now. Its amazing how things are cyclical.
    I've messed with the Ativ S and it's a beautiful, beautiful handset. I'm so friggin tempted to get one...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    01-08-13 11:42 AM
71 123