Samsung to Sell Tizen-Based Handsets After Motorola Deal - Bloomberg

[IF confirmed]
    Pops me three ideas:
    1. Heins' "full control" strategy seems more than ever appropriate
    2. Could be a very bad beat for Android driven devices ... and give (at least temporarily) some more room to RIM
    3. No room for more than 3 platform ? One The giant don't seem to belive this "old song" ... (nor Ubuntu)
    01-05-13 09:12 PM
    i doubt it's anytime soon. they would be dumb to quit their bread and butter.

however, i DO believe it's possible in the future that Google takes back full control of Android.
    01-05-13 09:50 PM
    I doubt they'd give up on Android. It's not like they have an agreement with them.... it's a free platform. They're just looking at other options to pursue as Google starts, and have started, their quest for control.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 09:59 PM
    Tizen, like Android, is open source. Samsung would never have full control over it. If they want full control, they would just advance their own OS, Bada.
    01-05-13 10:06 PM
    Tizen, like Android, is open source. Samsung would never have full control over it. If they want full control, they would just advance their own OS, Bada.
    From what I've read, Samsung is a part of the team that created Tizen. They may not have FULL control but some control is far better than none.... assuming it will sell. And seeing as the provider of their free, open source platform is now going into direct competition with them, it is only smart to look at other options. Who knows when Google will say "you know what? We don't want to share this anymore. Good luck and thank you".
    magutwit and anon(3896606) like this.
    01-05-13 10:11 PM
    there was already a thread about this before. They already sell bada phones so this would be no different. Just another line to add to their list of options IMO.
    01-05-13 10:11 PM
    there was already a thread about this before. They already sell bada phones so this would be no different. Just another line to add to their list of options IMO.
    I think this may be different. Bada is Samsung's OS. Tizen is a collaboration, I really think Samsung is looking to get away from Google.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 10:20 PM
    I think this may be different. Bada is Samsung's OS. Tizen is a collaboration, I really think Samsung is looking to get away from Google.
    i dont at all, they are the number 1 manufactuer for a reason, android. There is no reason to move away from something that is making you the king right now
    randall2580 and mikeo007 like this.
    01-05-13 10:25 PM
    i dont at all, they are the number 1 manufactuer for a reason, android. There is no reason to move away from something that is making you the king right now
    Well considering Google is readying themselves to go into direct competition, it seems like a logical assumption. And at what point can Google say that they will no longer offer Android for free? I don't know the in's and out's but Google is no longer the "free for everyone" company they used to be.
    01-05-13 10:28 PM
    I highly doubt Samsung will stop making Android devices. They are currently the number 1 Android manufacturer and It just doesn't make sense to just quit. Look at how highly anticipated the next Galaxy S device is amongst consumers. I think they are just trying to diversify their portfolio. They have Android and WP already, so why not a 3rd OS?
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-05-13 10:34 PM
    all of googles "nexus" devices sell in poor numbers when compared to Samsungs and maybe some of HTCs too. its not that they arent great device because honestly the nexus line is spectacular. But many people just prefer to actually get a skinned device and the added features from those skins. I suspect its also because google doesnt advertise for their phones much. The carriers do some but not alot. You see lots of "Droid" advertising from VZW and tons of samsung galaxy and note adverts. Google has hit it big with the 2 nexus tablets but the phones just dont have the magic to the general population like it does to the dev population
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 10:38 PM
    Ride that pony until it drops, then jump on the next one that you have been grooming in the meantime.
    01-05-13 10:41 PM
    all of googles "nexus" devices sell in poor numbers when compared to Samsungs and maybe some of HTCs too. its not that they arent great device because honestly the nexus line is spectacular. But many people just prefer to actually get a skinned device and the added features from those skins. I suspect its also because google doesnt advertise for their phones much. The carriers do some but not alot. You see lots of "Droid" advertising from VZW and tons of samsung galaxy and note adverts. Google has hit it big with the 2 nexus tablets but the phones just dont have the magic to the general population like it does to the dev population
    There is no arguing sales numbers. You are totally correct there. What I assume they are anticipating is the end of the "free" android environment. Look at what Google is doing... They are buying up OM's so they can profit. Like I said, the days of Google's vision of "free" is gone and they plan on COMPLETELY capitalizing on the opportunity. I don't blame them. ****... They've done a great job at it. The simple fact is, that Samsung can't simply rely on Google's Android going forward. They need to anticipate a change in the guard and be prepared for that time.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 10:54 PM
    Tizen *is* Bada (plus MeeGo and Moblin).

Samsung isn't going to give up on Android, but they're going to push Tizen hard. They want to reclaim a lot of their destiny, and after Google left them hanging with the Apple-Android lawsuit, while shafting them with the Motorola deal, they want more control over their own destiny.

Samsung made Android the dominant force that it is today, by making everything from super-low-end $99 prepaid phones up to the $800 Galaxy Note II phablets at the high end. I have no doubt they can create a market for Tizen devices, and perhaps even put Tizen in second place behind Android (and ahead of Apple). They have production, distribution and pricing power beyond the wildest dreams of RIM, Microsoft's Windows OEMs and even Apple.
    Shanerredflag and magutwit like this.
    01-05-13 11:31 PM
    i doubt it's anytime soon. they would be dumb to quit their bread and butter.

however, i DO believe it's possible in the future that Google takes back full control of Android.
    why would they be dumb to quit it? Samsung made Android what it is today, there is a wide range of Android based devices but Samsung dominates that base
    01-06-13 02:34 AM
    Apple gave Google the finger, maps and Youtube. Google gave Rim and WP etc the finger, multiple apps. Apple gave Samsung the finger, patents and reducing the parts count. Google gives everyone the finger, makes own devices. Blah blah... There just aren't enough fingers. I guess Samsung is just acquiring insurance.
    Come to think of it... Is Rim giving anyone the finger?
    magutwit likes this.
    01-06-13 02:57 AM
    Apple gave Google the finger, maps and Youtube. Google gave Rim and WP etc the finger, multiple apps. Apple gave Samsung the finger, patents and reducing the parts count. Google gives everyone the finger, makes own devices. Blah blah... There just aren't enough fingers. I guess Samsung is just acquiring insurance.
    Come to think of it... Is Rim giving anyone the finger?
    RIM gave plenty of fingers to it's end-customers (and it's shareholders!)
    I just started a thread about how PlayBooks appear like "dead devices" at FutureShop, BestBuy (http://forums.crackberry.com/general...aybook-761020/)
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-06-13 04:17 AM
    why would they be dumb to quit it? Samsung made Android what it is today, there is a wide range of Android based devices but Samsung dominates that base
    Maybe they're afraid Google is gonna pull the plug on Android, after all, they still make more money from iphones right now and Google is found of pulling plugs on services lately.

Or worse, if Google will probably start asking for money for Android. Now that manufacturers are "addicted" they'll start charging them.
    01-06-13 04:37 AM
    RIM gave plenty of fingers to it's end-customers (and it's shareholders!)
    I just started a thread about how PlayBooks appear like "dead devices" at FutureShop, BestBuy (http://forums.crackberry.com/general...aybook-761020/)
    I've seen people pick it up at Best Buy....if they don't figure it out in a few minutes they put it down and walk away in disgust and move on to a Galaxy tablet. Stickers next to display units would help people give them a good try and not get frustrated so easily.
    01-06-13 05:36 AM
    Right. The consorcium comprises Samsung, Intel, Vodafone, Orange, Huawei, Panasonic, Telefonica,SK Telecom, Sprint, Nec and NTT DoCoMo.

As to me, I've already said it : I'll never go there where Huawei is for the reasons of security.
    01-06-13 05:50 AM
    From what I've read, there is a possibility that Tizen would equip the Galaxy range, which is different from what Samsung did before (other OS on the lower range). I can't have any conclusion right now, but it's true that it seems different now...
    01-06-13 06:06 AM
    Lots of ill informed speculation here. Samsung would likely never drop android. Tizen like others have mentioned is just another option being used to cover as many bases as possible, especially since Tizen is a resource they have available to them for free.

Tizen devices are not meant to replace Samsung's android branded hardware at all. They are likely there to likely blossom another niche of users, such as they did with the galaxy note series (Samsung seems to be quite experimental when it comes to their products). Not to mention the relationship between Google and Samsung is likely better than its ever been (Samsung is currently manufacturing their nexus 10 tablet after all).

Not sure how anyone could seriously conclude Samsung is ending their Android lineup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-06-13 07:41 AM
    I certainly hope you're right. I love my Android Galaxy phones. And I can't wait for the Note 3....will be a difficult decision, Note 3 or SGIV.
    BergerKing and Shlooky like this.
    01-06-13 07:48 AM
    I highly doubt that it is meant to replace Android. Think of all the Android apps that people have bought for their Galaxy devices. Anyone who upgraded their Android phone to another has access to all the previously purchased apps. If they switch the OS, customers would lose all of their apps. That could backfire pretty quickly, as far as sales and customer loyalty go.

Look at how much of an issue BB10 has with people clamoring for apps on BB10. Some people don't think BB10 will succeed unless it gets apps like Netflix, Skype, and such. As good as an OS might be, it's the apps that can make or break it. How likely is Samsung going to be to drop access to all of the apps that Android brings?

For now, the best bet is that this will replace the current Bada offerings and give dumb phones more of a smartphone look and feel.
    01-06-13 08:49 AM
    They do not want to get away from Android, they clearly just want to ensure that all their bases are covered so they don't get caught out if something changes in the future.
    CairnsRock and the-elf like this.
    01-06-13 09:03 AM
71 123