Clearly I either screwed up in conveying a thought or simply chose the wrong word. I simply feel the incredibly short software cycle kinda sucks. The platform is still the best for me and I won't be going for anything else. How can someone love something anymore than I and be wrong for venturing opinions from others on something I consider one single viable flaw.

I'm not bitter or disdained, specifically, for my own needs, with BlackBerry, just the one aspect I started the thread about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I gotcha. You were just a tad bitter about short BB lifecycles.

But plenty of REALLY bitter people took off and ran with this thread.

Last edited by TequilaAddict; 08-01-11 at 02:00 PM.
    08-01-11 01:35 PM
    I was stating my dissatisfaction in line with the OP's topic on RIM making phones obsolete way too quickly ... I already said that the Curve 8520 was EOL not long after its release. S2 was dropped by RIM as well. One could guess that RIM was making some unplanned changes as they tried to put OS6 on it but couldn't due to insufficient flash memory. If they were well prepared the S2 would have been released with more RAM or something. Secondly, OS updates for the S2 stopped in 2010. There are still bugs unfixed even after the last update was released. Does that sound reasonable to you? Torch 9800 and Bold 9780 were released in August/October 2010. In less than a year they were already phased out of the next BBOS iteration. Am I stating opinion or facts here?

Well whatever, Storm 2 rocks, so does RIM. They make such great products that complaining about them is a sin! I shall repent in my little corner now.
    No need to go to the corner. These gripes are all fine and dandy, but I just don't see what the problem is. As I've stated before, I had a Samsung Instinct, a real POS, before I got my BlackBerry. It was just that: a POS. Did I get burned? Does this mean Samsung sucks? Should I head over to an Android forum and complain about the Instinct, how Samsung should fix its bugs, and do something so I can install "Gingerbread" on it? Wouldn't that be just a bit ridiculous? I bought a phone that some carrier's store rep talked me into. That's all that happened. It probably doesn't mean that there's something inherently wrong with Samsung.

Look, I'm sorry for your problems with the Storm, or RIM, or all of it, but it's not worse than the problems with any other phone and manufacturer. My 8330m was in use till June. Was it unsupported, EOL'd, abandoned by RIM? I suppose so, but I used it happily on 4.5, and it was fine. Was it old? I dunno, but my carrier didn't tell me that when I bought it new. Did it have a few bugs? Yes, a few that I'm aware of, but they didn't amount to fatal flaws in the overall experience. I certainly don't expect RIM to fix them or release another OS for the device.

New BlackBerries are coming out. I think they're gonna be good. I hope for everyone's sake that they are good. But if the problems you've had with BlackBerry, if your experience with RIM has been sufficiently bad, don't buy one! Use another platform that's more to your liking. It's like me with the Instinct. That phone made me hate touch screens. I don't want another one even if they're ten times (or a hundred times) better now.

/happily using my antiquated, possibly soon to be unsupported and EOL'd 9650
    08-01-11 02:30 PM
    No need to go to the corner. These gripes are all fine and dandy, but I just don't see what the problem is. As I've stated before, I had a Samsung Instinct, a real POS, before I got my BlackBerry. It was just that: a POS. Did I get burned? Does this mean Samsung sucks? Should I head over to an Android forum and complain about the Instinct, how Samsung should fix its bugs, and do something so I can install "Gingerbread" on it? Wouldn't that be just a bit ridiculous? I bought a phone that some carrier's store rep talked me into. That's all that happened. It probably doesn't mean that there's something inherently wrong with Samsung.

Look, I'm sorry for your problems with the Storm, or RIM, or all of it, but it's not worse than the problems with any other phone and manufacturer. My 8330m was in use till June. Was it unsupported, EOL'd, abandoned by RIM? I suppose so, but I used it happily on 4.5, and it was fine. Was it old? I dunno, but my carrier didn't tell me that when I bought it new. Did it have a few bugs? Yes, a few that I'm aware of, but they didn't amount to fatal flaws in the overall experience. I certainly don't expect RIM to fix them or release another OS for the device.

New BlackBerries are coming out. I think they're gonna be good. I hope for everyone's sake that they are good. But if the problems you've had with BlackBerry, if your experience with RIM has been sufficiently bad, don't buy one! Use another platform that's more to your liking. It's like me with the Instinct. That phone made me hate touch screens. I don't want another one even if they're ten times (or a hundred times) better now.

/happily using my antiquated, possibly soon to be unsupported and EOL'd 9650

So what about people who want a BB experience and with all the features other phones have? Other companies seem to grasp this why can't RIM? Why can't they even after people have asked since 2007?

That's why some people are bitter. Why is this so hard for people to understand? I don't consider myself bitter but I do empathize with what they are saying.
    08-01-11 02:33 PM
    So what about people who want a BB experience and with all the features other phones have? Other companies seem to grasp this why can't RIM? Why can't they even after people have asked since 2007?

That's why some people are bitter. Why is this so hard for people to understand? I don't consider myself bitter but I do empathize with what they are saying.
    I dare say, if there's another company that has grasped the BB experience and managed to combine it with all the features that all the other phones have, I'd surely like to know who it is, and why doesn't everybody have one of their phones.

The plain simple fact is, you're never going to get everything, especially in a device the size of a cell phone. There is always going to be a compromise; by its very nature a smart phone is a compromise. If BlackBerry managed to magically produce a phone that combined its legendary keyboard with a full touch screen, full multimedia and web browsing capabilities, an App World with a few million apps, and a battery that lasted a month, I guarantee you there would still be a lot of people who would find something about it they don't like.

08-01-11 03:07 PM

The other companies don't grasp this. They're not providing the BlackBerry experience. Other phones don't have all the features BlackBerry has; they don't have data compression, they don't have unbreakable AES encryption, BIS, etc. You want flash, maybe battery life will suffer. (Just an example, I don't know.) It's been said before on this forum: BlackBerry isn't for everyone, just like Android and iOS aren't for everyone. They don't (maybe even can't) all have everything (depending on the various technologies' limitations).
    08-01-11 03:12 PM
    I dare say, if there's another company that has grasped the BB experience and managed to combine it with all the features that all the other phones have, I'd surely like to know who it is, and why doesn't everybody have one of their phones.
    Won't happen till QNX phones are out
    08-01-11 03:20 PM
    One more thing. It's like buying a car with a diesel engine (itself a beautiful thing), then complaining that everyone else has a gas engine. If you don't want a diesel, buy a gaser. Or vice versa. But the diesel will never be a gaser, and the gaser will never be a diesel. And there will always be performance and economy differences -- pluses and minuses -- between each type. If you extend that analogy to phones, I'd say RIM's performing miracles. It's coming pretty darn close to giving users the best of both worlds -- as close as is reasonably and technologically possible.
    brucep1 likes this.
    08-01-11 03:25 PM
    The other companies don't grasp this. They're not providing the BlackBerry experience. Other phones don't have all the features BlackBerry has; they don't have data compression, they don't have unbreakable AES encryption, BIS, etc. You want flash, maybe battery life will suffer. (Just an example, I don't know.) It's been said before on this forum: BlackBerry isn't for everyone, just like Android and iOS aren't for everyone. They don't (maybe even can't) all have everything (depending on the various technologies' limitations).
    Okay, they grasp media and a good user experience that more people are obviously buying into. Numbers don't lie. RIM can offer these things yet they haven't since '07. Again, they ignored what their user base wanted and are suffering.

This isn't a doom and gloom post, it's something they have admitted to and are (supposedly) fixing. People want a BB but they also want nice specs etc.

I am not saying I am unhappy. I love my 9650, but it would be nice to have a more compelling experience. There are things they need to polish and there have been known bugs that have not been addressed for some time. There ARE changes that need to be made within their company. It starts with their software and capabilities.

I think that there can be a BB that also does what other smartphones can do. I believe they can do it better. They are dragging their feet.
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 08-01-11 at 03:47 PM.
    08-01-11 03:43 PM
    Every football team is looking for that perfect quarterback. The one who never throws a bad pass, always calls the perfect play, and always reads the defence perfectly.

Problem is they can't get him to put down his beer, shut off the tv, and come to the stadium.

Likewise, phone manufacturers are looking for that one engineer/programmer who can design a phone/os that will provide EVERY feature that ANYBODY could possibly want.

Problem is they can't get him to log off of CrackBerry forums, shut off the computer and come to work.

Alberta Blue likes this.
    08-01-11 03:53 PM
    Every football team is looking for that perfect quarterback. The one who never throws a bad pass, always calls the perfect play, and always reads the defence perfectly.

Problem is they can't get him to put down his beer, shut off the tv, and come to the stadium.

Likewise, phone manufacturers are looking for that one engineer/programmer who can design a phone/os that will provide EVERY feature that ANYBODY could possibly want.

Problem is they can't get him to log off of CrackBerry forums, shut off the computer and come to work.

This mentality is outrageous. Basically you guys are saying that RIM can't put a whole user experience together. Well guess what- besides security and data compression other phone makers are pulling stuff from RIM and giving them a better all-around experience. iMessage anyone?

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple started doing their own data compression through their servers. ****, they are already using push services for their cloud service and their iMessaging service.

Apple is working on getting that security classification that RIM has.

So if other phone makers can do this why is it so crazy for RIM to do the same? Or why is it that RIM shouldn't?

Again, if you want to keep using BB devices in the future they have to come full circle. Numbers don't lie, sales figures don't lie and consumer polls (no matter how skewed or small they are) don't lie. There IS a common sentiment that RIM has some good things but seriously lacks others. Why is it that people are defecting?

I don't understand why CB users deny this and get so angry.

I hate to sound like the RIM trolls on this board but you are seriously arguing that RIM should only continue offering what they offer and they will be fine. This is this attitude that is killing RIM. This is the attitude that has made them cut 2000 jobs. People can make excuses all day that other companies cut jobs all the time, but cutting jobs is still a negative situation for companies to be in.
    Last edited by RollingRock1988; 08-01-11 at 04:06 PM.
    kevinnugent and biggulpseh like this.
    08-01-11 04:01 PM
    There are many BB users empathizing with you. Some will forgo BB OS 7 and wait for QNX. If QNX superphones appear to be subpar to iPhone 5 or latest Android, then these fustrated BB users will bolt.

BlackBerries don't get major updates because the hardware can't handle it. It's as simple as that. The PlayBook is the first RIM device in years that gets released with top of the line hardware. Even the new phones coming out in a few days or weeks don't have a screen that can rival the iPhone 4 which came out over a year ago. There isn't a dual-core handset in the lot while all the major phones coming out are dual core. And we RIM fan boys rationalize that we don't "need" a dual-core processor. I refuse to upgrade my Torch. When the first QNX phone comes out, it better have specs that rival the best out there or I'm gone.

08-01-11 04:07 PM
    This Bold Touch is a pretty impressive phone:

I could enjoy this one.

08-01-11 05:23 PM
    I have never seen a cellphone/smartphone that was 100% bug or issue free, but for me my 3 blackberries have been my most stable and reliable phones i ever owned. So that is why i will keep buying bb phones
    08-01-11 06:14 PM
    This mentality is outrageous. Basically you guys are saying that RIM can't put a whole user experience together. Well guess what- besides security and data compression other phone makers are pulling stuff from RIM and giving them a better all-around experience. iMessage anyone?

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple started doing their own data compression through their servers. ****, they are already using push services for their cloud service and their iMessaging service.

So if other phone makers can do this why is it so crazy for RIM to do the same? Or why is it that RIM shouldn't?

Again, if you want to keep using BB devices in the future they have to come full circle. Numbers don't lie, sales figures don't lie and consumer polls (no matter how skewed or small they are) don't lie. There IS a common sentiment that RIM has some good things but seriously lacks others. Why is it that people are defecting?

I hate to sound like the RIM trolls on this board but you are seriously arguing that RIM should only continue offering what they offer and they will be fine. This is this attitude that is killing RIM. This is the attitude that has made them cut 2000 jobs. People can make excuses all day that other companies cut jobs all the time, but cutting jobs is still a negative situation for companies to be in.
    My post was ment to be a joke. Poking fun at ALL of us here debating ups and downs of the whole smartphone ecosystem.

The forums are full of people posting "I went to Android because BB can't do this".
    The next thread starts "I came back to BB because Apple can't do this as well as BB".
    Followed by a thread "why can't I have a phone that does this, this, and this,?"

My point is neither RIM, Google, nor Apple will ever build a phone that will make everyone happy.

08-01-11 06:34 PM
    Sounds like you're the one who don't know a thing about specs. Do you have any clue what CPU architecture is about?

And for some people who say feeling bitter about a phone is pointless, learn something called the "buyer's remorse", and understand the fact that consumers have the right to complain when a product they buy is lacking in many ways. Just because you're satisfied with a mediocre product doesn't mean others have to put up with it.
    I know alot about cpu architecture. Im a senior network administrator with 8 years experience on the job and have been building machines since i was in grade school. I manage esxi infstructure with multiple hosts and load balance them based on resource consumption og the guest os.

In other words have know alot cpus and their abilities. Under normal circumstances most consumer would be better off with single or dual core cpus with a faster clock speed vs a quad core in their home machine. Unless the application and/or OS are efficient when allocating resource across all cores there is very little benefit.

i also recently built a i7 water cooled white box for esxi for my lab at work for ****s and giggles but its way over powered for the minimal load of 4 vms.

Im not doubting that duals and quad cores will make phones faster but if the code managing the resources is horrible and bloated then your experience will suffer. If Rim or anyone for that matter takes the time to make the os efficent as possible, a single core processor can run alot faster then a bloated os with a lower clocked quad core.

so back to my points specs dont mean squat if those specs are needed only because the os is horribly inefficent.

my iphone 4 is incredibly fast at 800 mhz and wouldnt be much faster with a dual or quad core cpu
    08-01-11 09:01 PM

I...I love you. Finally somebody with a brain on these forums.
    08-01-11 10:11 PM
    first time poster & I totally agree. this new batch of phones is very close to their last hurrah in America. I understand some of the things they are doing & thinking but, others are so far off base that its ridiculous.
    go global, absolutely. RIM is a huge corporation & should be just as concerned about Egypt as they are about Australia as they are about America. Too many Americans don't get that.
    However, the products they are offering to be competing against are killing them. It's akin to being told there's nothing wrong with our atari 2600, who needs a PS3.
    RIM is so concerned about the 20% which they supply to corporations, they forgot about the other 80% of the world. SO, Apple, and now Google are swooping in on the other 80%. Do the math RIM.
    to hear that they didnt even want to put cameras or MP3 players in their new phones is simply ********. go for a walk in NYC or SF & see how many people are connected to their phones for EVERYTHING. Most of the european world is the same way. we dont want to carry 3 different devices when we can carry 1 to do it all.

I do think they are starting down the right path, but, they're currently playing catch-up. and whenever you're playing catchup, that means you screwed up & you have fallen behind.
    I also think(hopefully) they pay attention to the forums. it's what lets them know what is wrong with their product. The irony is that the mods on here have this "if you bash our precious blackberry then you are gonna get banned" mentality. how else do you know & fix whats wrong if people don't have a place to freely complain about it?
    they don't need to make alot of different styles of phones, just 4. Heck, apple only needs 1. all they need is the new bold for heavy business users, the real torch, an all touchscreen for people that wanna look hip & a GOOD curve for women with small hands. THEN MAKE THEM AVAILABLE ON ALL CARRIERS!! how are you a business supplier with the worlds best security but dont offer the same phones on all carriers.
    RIM is the worst thing about owning a blackberry. the Crackberry forums are the best part of owning one. if it werent for this place I never would have been able to fix my phone when it goes bad. I have had 5 curves in the past 1 3/4 years. FIVE OF THEM!! the 4th one broke on day 365 & when I went to sprint, they had to argue for me about why I should get a replacement. Management felt that the year was up on that day & didnt want to replace it. It broke 2 months later & i had to buy a 5th one. This doesn't bode well for customer retention. I understand that things break, that this same problem goes on with all the other brands as well. so RIM has 1 shot left w/ me. but if this batch that comes out this month looks like crap...they're dead in the waterloo
    08-01-11 11:47 PM
    Glad I'm getting one without buying it, then!
    08-01-11 11:48 PM
    I know alot about cpu architecture. Im a senior network administrator with 8 years experience on the job and have been building machines since i was in grade school. I manage esxi infstructure with multiple hosts and load balance them based on resource consumption og the guest os.

In other words have know alot cpus and their abilities. Under normal circumstances most consumer would be better off with single or dual core cpus with a faster clock speed vs a quad core in their home machine. Unless the application and/or OS are efficient when allocating resource across all cores there is very little benefit.

i also recently built a i7 water cooled white box for esxi for my lab at work for ****s and giggles but its way over powered for the minimal load of 4 vms.

Im not doubting that duals and quad cores will make phones faster but if the code managing the resources is horrible and bloated then your experience will suffer. If Rim or anyone for that matter takes the time to make the os efficent as possible, a single core processor can run alot faster then a bloated os with a lower clocked quad core.

so back to my points specs dont mean squat if those specs are needed only because the os is horribly inefficent.

my iphone 4 is incredibly fast at 800 mhz and wouldnt be much faster with a dual or quad core cpu
    Well, I will not argue with you your profession and experience, but if as you say you know a lot about CPU architecture, I don't understand why you talk as if clock speed is the be-all and end-all.

Intel Core i7-875K vs AMD Phenom II X4 980. Both released in 2009, both are quad core processors. Both clocked at 3.0ghz and subjected to a 3DMark11 single core operation test, the Intel CPU gave a ~35% higher score.

In my post to you I understood that you were saying dual core CPUs won't necessarily offer better performance than a single core CPU, since software optimization plays a big role here. That is true, and I'm not saying anything against that. Before I go on, my sincere apologies for my harsh words in that post, and I commend you for taking it so well.

True, the iPhone4. The iPhone5 is confirmed to sport a dual core CPU and, and I'm quite confident that it will run much faster than the iP4. And this is because Apple will optimise iOS to do it. People are saying dual cores on a BlackBerry is useless because BBOS is efficient enough to run on a single core. What I say is, the OS is efficient ONLY to run on a single core. If BBOS is efficient on dual core CPUs, we will be seeing much better performance, and better battery life. Is this a problem with RIM? I don't know, you decide.
    08-02-11 05:30 AM
    I know very little about CPU's and how they work etc. I'm like most smartphone users in this respect but I have experienced first hand a laptop (mine) with a single core processor that would run circles around a newer dual core laptop (my brother's). The difference being in the operating system on each machine. Mine was running a trimmed down and lean Linux based os while his was running a fully OEM bloated Windows installation. I would assume that the same thing COULD happen with a phone. However, once my brother got rid of the extra bloat, my advantage disappeared. Again I would assume the same COULD apply to phones.

This experience leaves me with this question:

The new os7 BlackBerries use a dedicated gpu for their graphics operations. Does iPhone and dual core Androids do this also?

If the answer is no, is it possible that RIM thinks that they can provide a better user experience with a sincle core processor and dedicated gpu than they can with a dual core cpu?

If Apple and Android already use a separate gpu for graphics then I guess my train of thought is derailed. It's just something I'm wondering about because I hear very little to no mention of the gpu in the os7 phones outside of RIM reps talking about them in the videos I've watched.

Can anyone enlighten me on the subject?

08-02-11 06:18 AM
    The new os7 BlackBerries use a dedicated gpu for their graphics operations. Does iPhone and dual core Androids do this also?
    Yes, but integrated GPU, not dedicated.
    08-02-11 07:27 AM
    The 99XX, 9810, 9850/9860 have the same SoC as the HTC Thunderbolt and the HTC Flyer Tablet, the Snapdragon 8X55. Scorpion Core up to 1.4GHz (BB will run at 1.2), Adreno 205 GPU. One of the major problems with the older Blackberry devices was no GPU at all (except on the CDMA devices). RIM should have ditched Marvell for Qualcomm back with the OS6 devices, but kept them around long past their prime. If they had the OS6 devices running the Qualcomm 8x50 and took advantage of the GPU then they probably would have been in a much better position than they are now!
    08-02-11 08:45 AM
    I know very little about CPU's and how they work etc. I'm like most smartphone users in this respect but I have experienced first hand a laptop (mine) with a single core processor that would run circles around a newer dual core laptop (my brother's). The difference being in the operating system on each machine. Mine was running a trimmed down and lean Linux based os while his was running a fully OEM bloated Windows installation. I would assume that the same thing COULD happen with a phone. However, once my brother got rid of the extra bloat, my advantage disappeared. Again I would assume the same COULD apply to phones.

This experience leaves me with this question:

If the answer is no, is it possible that RIM thinks that they can provide a better user experience with a sincle core processor and dedicated gpu than they can with a dual core cpu?

If Apple and Android already use a separate gpu for graphics then I guess my train of thought is derailed. It's just something I'm wondering about because I hear very little to no mention of the gpu in the os7 phones outside of RIM reps talking about them in the videos I've watched.

Can anyone enlighten me on the subject?

Yes they use gpu for the graphical functions, the use of SoC's (system on chip) like the snapdragon in the os 7 phones have cpu and gpu integrated into a single die
    So they use an integrated gpu, yes

08-02-11 09:44 AM
    I see. Thanks for the explainations. I was under the impression that the gpu was a separate chip. Like a desktop computer.

08-02-11 09:52 AM

Most of the posts I have read don't just say "I Defected", they say something more like "I got bored and picked up an Android or Apple and ended up coming back to my old Blackberry".

I also don't understand how you can make blanket statements about other products being superior when they are different. Ever hear the fraze "Thats like comparing Apples to Oranges"?
    08-02-11 10:40 AM
114 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD