Know those areas very well.

Unbelievable that AT&T didn't have better prep for something like this after Katrina and Gustav.

This is also why I still keep a landline.

Posted via CB10
    That's my point..... u would think they would have multiple layers of protection and been through some "what if's" after previous events. Apparently not....... Just the minimum to get by under normal operation.

I hope they suffer a major loss of subscribers..... they deserve it!!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 02:30 PM
    It was the switching station that got hit.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 04:19 PM
    Well this is what I managed to accomplish today. Most people don't know that the flood insurance the mortgage requires covers the building, not the contents. Here are several rooms of my in-laws' life accumulations. They did NOT have flood content insurance.

AT&T worked standing in the middle of the road, and very slowly. I couldn't get a voice call to work all day.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    Attached Thumbnails At&t super suxs !!!!!!-16129.jpg  
    08-16-16 10:15 PM
    Agents do a lousy job of explaining those policies.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 09:41 AM
    To update .......... AT&T continues to have problems and has since early Sunday AM.

There is some level of service. Text messaging and phone calls work...... but, calls are dropped as much more rapidly and frequently than normal. Other data/online activities are limited to non-existent. Currently showing 5 bars 4G but..... open twitter or other apps requiring online access provide a message that says "Your connection is unavailable".

All voicemail appears to be down...... incoming calls "will not" go to voicemail...... when calling number, if there is no answer you the recorded message "I'm sorry, but the person you called has a voicemail box that has not been set up yet". I have missed several calls but have not received a voicemail since August 13th .........Saturday.

Batteries are running down on devices ........ I am guessing due the mobile network searching for signal. The 4G signal is not as good as indicated (5 bars) or at times is lost leaving the device repeatedly searching for a signal.

5-days now during one of the worst natural disasters. Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile have not had any problems.
    08-18-16 01:22 PM
    Manually choosing 2G before calls/texts still isn't allowed, right? **** you, AT&T.
    08-18-16 01:24 PM
    Manually choosing 2G before calls/texts still isn't allowed, right? **** you, AT&T.
    That's correct.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 01:41 PM
    I know

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    08-18-16 04:49 PM
    All the profit goes to ceo or expansion in Mexico. USA comes last and that is why the ftc and the fcc has been suing them for years. Let them know! They are false advertising and fleecing the American people!!!!!

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    08-18-16 04:54 PM
    I have the old unlimited data plan.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 05:28 PM
    Was down there all weekend. AT&T coverage still weak. Phone and text works but data horrible when it exists.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 08:10 AM
    Was down there all weekend. AT&T coverage still weak. Phone and text works but data horrible when it exists.

Posted via CB10
    Confirmation....... AT&T Suxs!!

I did get a couple of messages from them over the weekend:
    MESSAGE 1:
    AT&T Free Msg: Due to outages resulting from severe flooding in the Gulf Coast, some or all of your voicemail messages may have been lost and we had to restart your voicemail service. For instructions to reset your password and other settings go to att.com/vmail

MESSAGE 2:
    AT&T Free Msg: We remain committed to keep our service up and you connected despite the historic floods. We are giving a one-time credit worth 50% off your monthly recurring charges for service and any data overages incurred from 8/14-8/28. Go to att.com/laflood for details. Thanks for your continued patience and for being our customer .

(NOTE: Verizon sent a message out early last week eliminating charges for some period of time during the flood event. Verizon did not miss a beat during the flood event. I will try and get the Verizon message and post it.)

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 11:36 AM
    I hope that everyone in Louisiana is safe. I'm not at all happy to hear about AT&T failing to provide service in the affected areas. I'm on AT&T in the Chicago area and I've never experienced anything like that. Obviously, they need to improve their infrastructure.
    08-23-16 03:09 PM
    I saw this that Brittany Spears is going to auction off a dress and the proceeds go to the flood victims. I think she should do an entire CONCERT for this since she grew up there. Remember the Farm Aid concerts in the 1980's, etc....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails At&t super suxs !!!!!!-tapaupload0.jpg  
    08-23-16 09:13 PM
    I just returned from Walker. I live in Northeast Texas. Cell service got normal around Lafayette. Data was pretty unusable the entire time I was in Walker and surrounding areas. I could not send or receive mms messages, and that was a real bad deal when trying to figure out what to do for insurance, find supplies and food, find housing, use mapping software (waze was the app of choice for everyone) and figured out whether fema would be any help (it wasn't). But gutting a house and standing in the rain, the heat, the humidity and that toxic sludge they called flood 'waters' left me dirtier than a gas station toilet, so I just didn't keep my phone on me much. That made the times that I needed to use my phone for important purposes more frustrating due to the lack of service. I ended up having to call friends out of state for things I should have been able to learn on my phone.

To be fair, Verizon wasn't any better.

Honestly, this has been an eye opener on many levels. One of the lesser revelations for me was that in the event of a major disaster, man made or natural, our cellular infrastructure is really not prepared to endure.

duckduke likes this.
    08-24-16 01:32 AM
    Honestly, this has been an eye opener on many levels. One of the lesser revelations for me was that in the event of a major disaster, man made or natural, our cellular infrastructure is really not prepared to endure.

So true.

During Katrina, we lost cell service pretty quick.

During Gustav, we lost cell service before the biggest part of the storm hit but just as power was going out around Baton Rouge.

Amazingly enough, the land lines were still (mostly) working through both storms.

Cell service downtown (where I work), and mid-city (where I live) is getting stable. Still no LTE.

Posted via CB10
    duckduke likes this.
    08-24-16 09:15 AM
    I have read that during such disasters that a cell tower can go back up a lot faster than a landline, but this thread has brought awareness to the fact that cell towers might be more vulnerable during an event?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-24-16 01:27 PM
    This is one of the reasons I have been such a big advocate for Free Radio on My Phone and having the FM chip activated in all phones. When the power is down and other cell services don't exist...... the FM radio on a phone can be the only communication. (FM CHIP: Z30/Passport/DTEK50=yes........PRIV=no........ the PRIV allegedly has FM chip, but Blackberry OS updates to-date do not allow it to function).

You can read thread after thread on FM radio, even right here at CB, and a very common response is to just use iheartradio or some similar streaming app. Many don't seem to understand what FM really is and the difference in having an FM chip/signal and streaming. FM can be a life saver when all other communication is limited or non existent. Many seem to take "streaming" for granted as if it simply manifests itself. The Walker/Baton Rouge, Louisiana area can provide a pretty good reality check.

Anyway .......... in researching carrier options, I found it odd that some showed such fantastic coverage in some remote areas that I frequent. So........ since I am on AT&T I checked their map. Same thing. In fact they show great coverage in areas where most of the time we can't even send a text message. A phone call is a rare event and usually the intermittent signal usually drops the call within 1-2 minutes or less. I guess the only way to know for sure is to survey some locals or get prepaid SIM and do some tests. A frustrating process.
    08-24-16 01:34 PM
    I thought FM radio on a phone was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of.... until I read your post.
    08-24-16 07:50 PM
    Thank you. I learned alot about the people of Louisiana that I did not know, as a native Texan right next door, until last week. I literally had to get away from the house because so many people stopped and offered me food, drinks, help lifting things. When I sat in my truck trying to text my wife, people stopped and asked if I needed a jump start or anything else. One couple who didn't even live in the neighborhood I was in stopped their car and asked if I was hungry. I reluctantly said yes and they left. I thought, okay, that was odd; I thought they had sandwiches or something to hand out. They came back with food from a MacDonalds in Baton Rouge (about 20 minutes away) and gave it to me. I was embarrassed to accept it. I had to get our boat that was used for evac, and found miles from the house of the ground and onto a trailer, and the store manager (taking inventory of flooded merchandise) opened the store so I could get out of the rain, GAVE me tools, gave me drink out of his cooler, and helped lift the boat in a pouring rain with several other strangers. Driving down the road in affected areas people stopped me to offer me food and drink. I felt like CRAP because I hadn't lost my house, but I was helping and doing the same they were and they wanted to feed me, so I ate cajun food and sandwiches and drank water and beer and coke until I thought I would split. Just astonishing how nice the people of Louisiana are in a disaster.

AT&T? NOT SO NICE. Honestly there were no tornadoes, no hurricanes... at best this was a tropical storm, and they are supposed to have backup generators on towers, so I wonder--as I must because they say nothing, just like Verizon does when you ask about the marshmallow update for Privs--what the heck caused the problem and why, a week later, it wasn't fixed.
    08-24-16 08:00 PM
    I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. For those that are unware, we currently have about a 5 parish/county lake in the Baton Rouge area, flood waters from rain over the weekend. Many of the roads/interstates close to where I am typing this are shut down due to high water. It is epic.

And during the middle of the disaster I wake up early Sunday morning with dead AT&T service. Every AT&T phone in the affected disaster area was down/dead/nada/nothing. No data, no phone service. DEAD.

Similar problems happened across south Louisiana during Katrina in 2005. AT&T hasn't learned a thing. They minimize their infrastructure and place equipment centers in areas without little regard for protection.

It seems that over and over with any disaster situation AT&T is the first and sometimes the only one down or with a problem.

To my knowledge ............. AT&T is the only service that has had a problem in this event. I am not aware of any problem with Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile etc etc. , only AT&T. The others did not miss a beat. My wife has a Verizon work phone that has not missed a beat.

CURRENT STATUS:
    During the heart of the disaster, all AT&T service was down 100% for at least 24 hours.

AT&T has brought in and placed some equipment in some key areas to allow for 'some' service. Mainly near emergency centers, universities, etc. etc. I finally started receiving text messages about 9am this AM (Monday). Many phone calls would not go through this morning and those that did had poor quality and were interrupted or died within a short period. It was difficult to maintain connection.

To think at $200/month that I pay them $2400/year and $24,000 over 10 years (one household)....... and when you need them the most they provide the least.

The best solution given was Wifi calling.................. dear geeks and radio broadcasters everywhere ........... when you have no power and no Wifi................. Wifi calling becomes very limited at best .

And for those that think the answer to a FM chip is steaming online radio .......... guess what child geeks ........... when you have no data (AT&T) and no power or internet connection (Wifi) ............. you cannot stream anything. An FM chip activated in a phone can be very valuable.

Enough of my rant.

I hate AT&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (except that I caught ATT stock on sale several months ago, yes I bought some and sold it recently for a nice profit. My way to get something back from someone that only takes as much as possible from me but gives very little in return.)
    Yeah, I feel you 100% on that. I live about 25min. from BR. Traffic was hellish trying to get home. I left AT&T long ago for Google Fi, then MintSim, then Google again. Think I'll try Ting this time :P

P.S. Yeah I know this is late, but it's also my first post and I can TOTALLY relate. (Because I also had AT&T then too)
    05-18-19 06:18 PM
    P.S. Yeah I know this is late, but it's also my first post and I can TOTALLY relate.
    Okay, but considering the discussion ended 3 years ago, it's the next to the last post on this thread.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    Attached Thumbnails At&t super suxs !!!!!!-closed-kitten.jpg  
    05-18-19 06:33 PM
47 12