Which makes them just like any other retailer in any other business. Are you telling me you wouldn't do the same if you owned a carrier store? You'd push a poor-selling product over putting food on your family's table?

If you take your emotions out of it and look at it objectively, what the carriers are doing makes perfect sense from a retailer's perspective.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!

My comment was just an observation as a customer that has service with both Verizon and Att
    03-15-14 10:24 PM
    My comment was just an observation as a customer that has service with both Verizon and Att
    I get that, and I know it sucks, but can anyone really be surprised at this point? Some folks here are going into stores practically hoping for a confrontation. And being upset at the minimum-wage phone salesmen for not knowing what's going on with BB really isn't fair, when BB themselves is doing nothing to educate them or support them.
    03-16-14 02:45 AM
    I can understand the zeal that BlackBerry owners feel...

But when we walk into the store knowing more than the people who work there, maybe a little restraint should be exercised. These employees more often than not are just their for the paycheck and not really looking to be embarrassed in front of their peers and other customers who are there.

Maybe the alternative is to inform them, but not lecture them about the facts.

After all, we wouldn't want to be embarrassed in front of OUR peers at our workplace, wouldn't we?

We few, we happy few, we band of Crackberry brothers
    03-16-14 03:33 AM
    This type of attitude is the same across all carriers! BlackBerry needs to market the new devices to drive sales. For some reason it looks like they have no intention to, let see what the numbers are at the next earnings this should explain what's going on with sales.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 06:10 AM
    I'm at an at&t store as I type this getting my sons z10 taken off a prepay and adding it to our plan and just had the sales rep tell me blackberry is just about out of business. After seeing our blackberry phones. Is ok to punch him in the throat
    I personally believe anyone dedicated to anything produce an exuding bias and propaganda.
    Any topic will be derailed by diversion due to their specific agenda.
    I fail to see what his opinion on BlackBerry devices or the company's future has to do with switching plans or adding a line!
    When I ask to add a line to my plan, don't talk about everything else under the sun except for what I came in the store for!
    blusls likes this.
    03-16-14 06:29 AM
    I myself have been asked many times why I like blackberry. Don't be upset with them, all you have to do is enlighten them. Explain to them why you don't like iphone and android. I usually tell them I want a phone first that gets the job done, not a toy. If they can't be persuaded, and still talk crap about bb, ask them if they ever use one. And if they said no, how can you have opinions on it if you've never use one. And yes I've used ios and android - they are not phones, they're toys.
    You blew it with your last sentence. The toy comment is old and uncreative. Try again.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-16-14 07:55 AM
    I personally believe anyone dedicated to anything produce an exuding bias and propaganda.
    Any topic will be derailed by diversion due to their specific agenda.
    I fail to see what his opinion on BlackBerry devices or the company's future has to do with switching plans or adding a line!
    When I ask to add a line to my plan, don't talk about everything else under the sun except for what I came in the store for!
    That's what happened to me once when I called Verizon to get service switched from my HTC Rezound to my 9930. I told the rep why I was calling and she gave me the third degree!! I explained that I was going to be doing a lot of hiking and bike riding in the next few days and would rather carry my BlackBerry because of its form factor. Her solution? "Just get a good case for the Rezound! You don't have to use a BlackBerry!" Ugh. I wanted to take the BlackBerry because it was SMALLER and her "solution" was to add more bulk to the Rezound! This happened two years ago and the exchange still baffles me. I'm so glad that I'm back on T-Mo where I can switch devices at will simply by putting in my SIM card.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-16-14 09:37 AM
    That's what happened to me once when I called Verizon to get service switched from my HTC Rezound to my 9930. I told the rep why I was calling and she gave me the third degree!! I explained that I was going to be doing a lot of hiking and bike riding in the next few days and would rather carry my BlackBerry because of its form factor. Her solution? "Just get a good case for the Rezound! You don't have to use a BlackBerry!" Ugh. I wanted to take the BlackBerry because it was SMALLER and her "solution" was to add more bulk to the Rezound! This happened two years ago and the exchange still baffles me. I'm so glad that I'm back on T-Mo where I can switch devices at will simply by putting in my SIM card.
    Absolutely ridiculous!
    This is how it should go...
    You-I would like to temporarily/permanently switch from my HTC Rezound to my 9930.
    Rep-Sure! I believe I can help you with that. Can you provide me the IMEI # and/or SIM card number for verification?
    You-Yes. Here it is.........
    Rep-OK. Everything has been updated in our system. It may take up to 15 minutes for the total data/voice transfer to happen.
    Would you like to remain on the line until this happens? I can send you a test email and text just to be sure.
    You-Yes-I can wait. Thanks!
    You-Great, I just received both your email and text and my signal for voice calls is showing that it is strong on my 9930. Thanks!
    Rep-You're welcome. Feel free to call back at anytime if you experience any difficulties, or when you would like to switch services back again.
    Glad I can be of service to you. Have a nice day!

I can't see why they have to know that you will be hiking or why you would be using a different device during your trek.
    Also, you didn't ask about casing. Where does that come from??? LOLOLOLOL.
    03-16-14 01:24 PM
    I get that, and I know it sucks, but can anyone really be surprised at this point? Some folks here are going into stores practically hoping for a confrontation. And being upset at the minimum-wage phone salesmen for not knowing what's going on with BB really isn't fair, when BB themselves is doing nothing to educate them or support them.
    Well, some customers go in the store and get sarcastic remarks when they ask for BlackBerry so naturally if you know what you want and they try to talk you out of it or talk negatively about something they do not know or have any idea just because they want to get their sales quota up and basically want to sell you what they want would you not want to debate this or maybe make you angry? I don't believe anyone wakes up and says I think I will go into AT&T or whatever provider they are with and say I think I will take a chance and go to AT&T or my provider and HOPE I get onto a confrontation with sales rep.
    If you go to McDonald's wanting ice tea and I try to sell you lemonade and tell you why lemonade is better yet I don't know the facts about ice tea you might be a bit confrontational. Especially, if they don't give you the service you expect. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by privateeyes; 03-16-14 at 02:05 PM.
    blusls likes this.
    03-16-14 01:51 PM
    Which makes them just like any other retailer in any other business. Are you telling me you wouldn't do the same if you owned a carrier store? You'd push a poor-selling product over putting food on your family's table?

If you take your emotions out of it and look at it objectively, what the carriers are doing makes perfect sense from a retailer's perspective.

This I agree with but still does not excuse the carrier from treating BlackBerry owners like they don't exist or matter. The customer existed when they sold them the phone they were happy to help and assist then.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by privateeyes; 03-16-14 at 02:10 PM.
    Skyforever likes this.
    03-16-14 01:53 PM
    I can understand the zeal that BlackBerry owners feel...

But when we walk into the store knowing more than the people who work there, maybe a little restraint should be exercised. These employees more often than not are just their for the paycheck and not really looking to be embarrassed in front of their peers and other customers who are there.

Maybe the alternative is to inform them, but not lecture them about the facts.

After all, we wouldn't want to be embarrassed in front of OUR peers at our workplace, wouldn't we?

We few, we happy few, we band of Crackberry brothers

Again I can understand this to an extent but now I ask you? Do you really try to write off a product or sway someone's intrest from a product you know nothing about only what you been told or maybe heard? I personally try not to make it a habit of debating an issue or about a product I have no knowledge of. But let's just say BlackBerry was the worst equipment out there in my eyes? Whether it be to lack of knowledge on product or just my belief and preference. What gives me the right as a sales person who is their as mentioned before just there for pay check and lack of knowledge to tell you or any other customer what you should buy and why you should disregard BlackBerry if I am misinformed? There are two sides to everything.

Posted via CB10
    blusls likes this.
    03-16-14 02:00 PM
    If you go to McDonald's wanting ice tea and I try to sell you lemonade and tell you why lemonade is better yet I don't know the facts about ice tea you might be a bit confrontational. Especially, if they don't give you the service you expect. Just my 2 cents.
    I don't think picking a mobile phone can be analogized to the choice between iced tea and lemonade.
    03-16-14 02:01 PM
    Not sure where some of these people get heir perspectives from. It's like the Twilight Zone here.
    The retail industry is the customer service industry. If you don't like helping people with their needs, do something else for a living!
    But from what I'm reading, it looks like some are fine with it being the customer "Do what I say", or "Take what I'm telling you to take" industry.
    CMcRob likes this.
    03-16-14 02:06 PM
    I don't think picking a mobile phone can be analogized to the choice between iced tea and lemonade.
    Lol! It was an example. Did you want me to go back to the toy thing comparison made many times before?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 02:12 PM
    Not sure where some of these people get heir perspectives from. It's like the Twilight Zone here.
    The retail industry is the customer service industry. If you don't like helping people with their needs, do something else for a living!
    But from what I'm reading, it looks like some are fine with it being the customer "Do what I say", or "Take what I'm telling you to take" industry.
    Well, put! Without the customer where does that leave the industry?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 02:13 PM
    Regardless of the indusrty that a sales person is working in, they should know what products and services that their company offers, both in-store and on-line, as well as those offered by their main competitors. Sales goals aside, happy customers (and profit) are the goals. If a customer wants product X, but product Y has a higher profit margin, the customer should get product X and be happy, not be strong-armed into product Y. The major issue is ignorance on both sides: sales person and consumer.

I was recently having an issue with my Bold 9900 and wanted a new phone as a backup, just in case the issue was more than the USB jack, or if I totally hosed the 9900 when replacing the USB jack. I went to my local AT&T store. I was greeted and asked what I was there for. I said that I wanted to get a new BlackBerry. I was told that there would be a 45 minute wait to speak with a sales person. I did not have that much time. I counted eight employees and three customres, two of which were using the payment kiosks. I left in a huff.

I went to a different AT&T store where I was ignored. A few hours later, after work, I returned to the first store and was able to ask about BlackBerries. I was told that they were no longer available at the store, they could not be ordered to the store, and that AT&T was pulling them from the sales floor and selling through their stock on-line because the company was going out of buisness.

I returned home and ordered a Q10 from AT&T over the phone. I was assured that the only reason that AT&T pulled them from the sales floor was due to the decreased popularity, but AT&T was still going to be selling and supporting them. After relating my ordeal, the $35 activation fee was waived.

My only complaint was the phone sales person switching me to paperless billing.

I spent four years working in retail, as a Merchendising Manager, and made it a point to educate myself and employees on the full line of products offered in-store and on-line.
    03-16-14 02:38 PM
    viable question. was it a corporate store or just an authorized dealer?

i was laughed at when pre-ordering my Z10 at the corporate store. they said why? no one's going to buy it. i said yeah maybe here, all of you are sheep. and they shut up and put my pre-order through.
    03-16-14 02:41 PM
    I'd just tell him, "I'm sorry, are you unable to perform the task I'm asking of you? If so, please get me the manager. Hopefully he's competent enough to help me."

It's not ok to punch him in the throat.
    you're wrong it is ok to punch him in the throat. if only stupidity was delt in a physical manor more people would think before they spoke
    03-16-14 04:43 PM
    you're wrong it is ok to punch him in the throat. if only stupidity was delt in a physical manor more people would think before they spoke
    How about we go back to public lynching?

03-16-14 05:08 PM
    If you go to McDonald's wanting ice tea and I try to sell you lemonade and tell you why lemonade is better yet I don't know the facts about ice tea you might be a bit confrontational.
    If only 0.5% of McDonalds customers bought ice tea, they wouldn't even offer it as an option on the menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-16-14 05:36 PM
    If only 0.5% of McDonalds customers bought ice tea, they wouldn't even offer it as an option on the menu.
    Yet AT&T does, so as long as they do, salespeople need to put their biases aside and ring up what they're being asked for.
    MADBRADNYC, Skyforever and extisis like this.
    03-16-14 05:38 PM
    Yet AT&T does, so as long as they do, salespeople need to put their biases aside and ring up what they're being asked for.
    Or people can shop somewhere else.

03-16-14 05:43 PM
    Well maybe AT&T should just stop selling devices that they don't want to support? That's another option.

I don't think salespeople are supposed to be mindless order-takers. Most people have no idea what they want or need when buying electronics. There are a few of us who really care about this stuff, and know exactly what we want, but we are a very small minority of buyers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-16-14 05:48 PM
    Or people can shop somewhere else.
    Why should I have to "shop somewhere else" just because some salesperson cannot do the most basic of tasks--grab something from the back and bring it to me?
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-16-14 05:49 PM
    Well maybe AT&T should just stop selling devices that they don't want to support? That's another option.
    Then I would be more (not completely, just more) understanding of badmouthing a product they don't carry: you're less likely to sell service (i.e. your company's product) to a customer looking for something specific that you don't carry. But as long as it's something your company does offer, set your personal opinions aside, and do what the customer is asking you to do.

I don't think salespeople are supposed to be mindless order-takers. Most people have no idea what they want or need when buying electronics. There are a few of us who really care about this stuff, and know exactly what we want, but we are a very small minority of buyers.
    Except that is not what happened in this case, nor in these types of threads. They're rarely the no-idea-what-I-want kind of buyers, yet they are treated as such.
    Skyforever and extisis like this.
    03-16-14 05:55 PM
118 1234 ...