Hi Guys

I am a new blackberry owner and i upgraded my line last July i guess and got a BB Bold with BIS data plan. at that time i was told that i will be able to cancel my BIS at any time i want. today i called ATT to cancel and they are saying its now not possible after Sep 6th and i must keep it. This rule was not there when I took my BB, so how they can now force me to continue the data plan? isnt it a cheating and utter greed on part of ATT? they told that one option is I can start using a regular phone and then i can cancel the data, but then why did I buy the bold by paying 100 bucks?!
    please tell me how can I cancel my plan.. please help..!!!
    (This is one nice example of how the corporate world is looting the American public!)
    09-08-09 02:41 PM
    You should have done it before the 6th. But most people have no way of knowing about that.
    Att tells people they can do a lot of things to get you signed up, then go back on their word. (Sorry they screwed me on something else too)

Idk why I'm even posting, I can't help haha sorry. But I hope someone can!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 02:46 PM
    well they changed the rules but you did sign a contract saying you were going to have bis on the plan for the 2 yrs you planned on having the phone.
    09-08-09 02:46 PM
    Well, seems if they changed the terms on you, they should at least let you out of your contract sans ETF.

09-08-09 02:47 PM
    well they changed the rules but you did sign a contract saying you were going to have bis on the plan for the 2 yrs you planned on having the phone.
    Where did I sign a contract telling dat I m gonna keep d data for two years? Its not a iphone plan,even the MIR form asked me to activate the BIS and then get the 100 dollar rebate. Otherwise if I buy without rebate I cud buy in 200. The form doesn't specifically mention I have to keep the data for 2 years

Last edited by admirer; 09-08-09 at 04:37 PM.
    09-08-09 03:00 PM
    I was following this thread until the last post. I'm sorry, maybe I'm picky but I can't follow that typing.

09-08-09 03:09 PM
    My biggest question is: how can they force me to continue the data plan for 2 years when i signed up before Sep6th when it was not mandatory???. i didnt have any way to know they r making it mandatory from Sep6th. and i took the BB, not iphone just bcoz of the flexibility that i could cancel the data in future if i take the BB. moreover, they didnt even send an email informing this change. they spam u with so much of email but didnt feel it necessary to send this important e-mail (and they say the r doing all these for the customer's good.. what a joke).. its nothing but pure and simple cheating.. what the customers can do against ATT now??
    09-08-09 04:07 PM
    My biggest question is: how can they force me to continue the data plan for 2 years when i signed up before Sep6th when it was not mandatory???. i didnt have any way to know they r making it mandatory from Sep6th. and i took the BB, not iphone just bcoz of the flexibility that i could cancel the data in future if i take the BB. moreover, they didnt even send an email informing this change. they spam u with so much of email but didnt feel it necessary to send this important e-mail (and they say the r doing all these for the customer's good.. what a joke).. its nothing but pure and simple cheating.. what the customers can do against ATT now??
    Actually it was on my bill last month, and the month before I think. So they did tell me ... not that it matters, as I plan on keeping data on both the Blackberries on my account.
    09-08-09 04:16 PM
    Actually it was on my bill last month, and the month before I think. So they did tell me ... not that it matters, as I plan on keeping data on both the Blackberries on my account.
    i checked my bills and donot see any such info.. now can i use this as a violation of my contract and can cancel the contract?.. also what are the other option, customers should raise voice in such matters, its nothing but plain n simple cheating..
    Last edited by admirer; 09-08-09 at 04:30 PM.
    09-08-09 04:28 PM
    Do you have another non-Blackberry phone? Tell them you're using that now.
    Switch the SIM back to your Blackberry eventhough they will probably tell you
    that it won't work in it. It'll work anyway. Doesn't hurt to try.

Benefits of GSM...
    09-08-09 04:29 PM
    Do you have another non-Blackberry phone? Tell them you're using that now.
    Switch the SIM back to your Blackberry eventhough they will probably tell you
    that it won't work in it. It'll work anyway. Doesn't hurt to try.

Benefits of GSM...
    but if i switch it back to BB lateron, their system will read it and i will automatically be enrolled to the data plan again..!
    09-08-09 04:34 PM
    but if i switch it back to BB lateron, their system will read it and i will automatically be enrolled to the data plan again..!
    Well if they really want to they'll actually check and read it. Like I said, you
    can certainly try. If it was me I know I would.
    09-08-09 04:36 PM
    Well if they really want to they'll actually check and read it. Like I said, you
    can certainly try. If it was me I know I would.
    but why do i have to try that even? dont u think i have no fault here and i should legally be allowed to cancel the data?
    09-08-09 04:40 PM
    but why do i have to try that even? dont u think i have no fault here and i should legally be allowed to cancel the data?
    I know I'd be fighting with them about it.
    09-08-09 04:43 PM
    Make a complaint with Planetfeedback.com, it gets results.
    09-08-09 04:46 PM
    Wow, don't know what to say! I don't see how they make it mandatory to keep the data plan. Glad I already canceled the BIS plan on my phone (trying to buy new house and saving money). Will make me think twice if I want to re-add the data plan later on!
    09-08-09 06:15 PM
    To my knowledge you are required to have a data plan with all blackberries as per the agreement w/rim & cellular providers...my question is why do you want a device like a blackberry or any other pda & no data plan? Just get a dumb phone that doesn't require one...phone companies are tired of "accidental" data usage & credit requests...I say know what you are getting before you get it.....
    09-08-09 06:31 PM
    Well,

I don't know why they are telling you that you're unable to cancel. I have AT&T and purchased my BB earlier this year. After a couple of months I canceled my data plan with no problem. With AT&T your able to change your plan at any time with no penalty and without extending your contract service agreement, but if you did want to cancel your service, you will have to pay a cancellation fee. I would call and ask to speak to a manager and have him/her show you where in your contract it says, that your unable to change your service at anytime. Also have them explain to you where in your contact does it state that your liable for any future contractual changes/obligations without formal written notice from AT&T and mutual agreement from both parties. What I'm trying to get at is that your only liable for what is stated in the contract!!
    09-08-09 07:43 PM
    Drop the SIM card in a non-BB phone. Remove the data plan. Switch the card back. Blow away all the service book entries and the connection information. Use it like any old phone.

If it ever uses data they will know.
    09-08-09 07:53 PM
    Where did I sign a contract telling dat I m gonna keep d data for two years? Its not a iphone plan,even the MIR form asked me to activate the BIS and then get the 100 dollar rebate. Otherwise if I buy without rebate I cud buy in 200. The form doesn't specifically mention I have to keep the data for 2 years

when I went to car toys they tried to tell me I had to have a data plan in order to get the rebate, but I found out T-mobile will give you the rebate if you have a data plan or text messaging plan, found this info on the Rebate form that was printed when I went into the T-mobile store. :P

I now have the data plan as the BB has no use without it, but thats not the point!

and to venomgirl, there is no agreement forcing you to. If you wanted the rebate this was one way AT&T & other providers would get you to take the data feature.
    Last edited by rlacsamana19; 09-08-09 at 08:03 PM.
    09-08-09 08:01 PM
    Drop the SIM card in a non-BB phone. Remove the data plan. Switch the card back. Blow away all the service book entries and the connection information. Use it like any old phone.

If it ever uses data they will know.
    Whatever language in d contract they now take the help of to cheat people, the truth is that they did play a shady dirty game by not informing old customers before d change and they just basically cheated
    for which there must be customers action against ATT. But for now ur solution is most practical for me, as they have played it dirty we also have to now... There is nothing like being honest n loyal customer with ATT, they played such dirty game even with a long term customer like me with a five line family plan
    could you please inform me in detail (or give me a link) how to remove the service book entries and connection info? thanks a lot..
    Last edited by admirer; 09-08-09 at 10:27 PM.
    09-08-09 09:55 PM
    To file a complaint with the FTC at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
    regarding collusion and/or bundling.

You can also complain to the FCC at FCC Consumer Complaints
    09-09-09 03:15 PM
    Sue in small claims court just for fun. ATT will have to answer or lose by default.

09-09-09 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD