I just downloaded the subject matter software from the T Mobile website and have yet to perform the upgrade. I am very reluctant to go through with the upgrade until I receive some affirmation here from the forum experts.

My concern: Will installing the DM 4.6 automatically overwrite/delete my previous DM 4.2.2.14? (Must I delete the previous version?) I ask in the event the upgrade fails and I need to revert back to my current dependable OS. I find consolation in having the previous version remaining. If not I realize I could always install from the original 4.2.2.18 CD included w/my Curve in the event I must 'downgrade' to the previous version.

Also, if the previous DM version remains on my PC desktop will this cause a clash between the 2 DM versions upon connecting my 8320? Does the updated version automatically overrule/take priority?

I could not find any definitive instruction IN PARTICULAR as to deleting the previous version when reading any 4.5.0.81 OS upgrade procedures. I will not proceed until I hear from my reliable friends here in the 'forum'. I am new at this having never performed an upgrade. Thanks to all of you in advance!!!

Footnote of interest: my current 4.2 OS/DM versions work great and are very dependable. I am not in need of the upgrade thereby affording me the time to be meticulous by asking/researching here first. "If it ain't broke.....don't fix it" applies here. But I must admit...the curiosity regarding the zeal I am reading here about the OS upgrade has me intrigued and anxious.
    10-22-08 01:26 PM
    The similarity in version numbers does introduce some confusion when we are discussing an upgrade.

There are two separate products. The first is BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It was supplied on your BlackBerry Users Tools CD.

If you have installed this package, you will have the correct USB drivers and a copy of Desktop Manager version v4.2. The first time you use it, it will suggest checking for software updates. The current version of Desktop Manager is v4.6.

It is strongly recommended you proceed with the upgrade. There are features supported in the newer package that were not present in the older version.

The first stage of the install checks for older version of Desktop Manager and removes them if found. The new version is then installed.

Second is your device OS software. Your device was shipped with v4.2.2.180. If you download and install that package, Desktop Manager will use it to maintain your device software.

If you download and install a later version, v4.5.0.81 currently, you can upgrade the device software to that level.

If, for any reason, you decide to roll back to the original version, all you have to do is use Windows Control Panel / Programs / Uninstall the later version. That will enable Desktop Manager to erase the existing OS software and re-install the original package.

If you use the BlackBerry automated update, it will require you to install the current v4.6 Desktop Manager and will then update your device software. That is the preferred way to do an upgrade, BlackBerry will take responsibility for getting it right and insure you have a working device after the procedure.

It should take about an hour from start to finish.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...upgrade-81207/
    10-22-08 03:18 PM
    Thanks Reed for your thoughtful reply. I cannot stress enough how reluctant I am to go through w/4.5 OS/4.6 DM upgrade. I have taken the initial leap by at least downloading the OS/DM upgrades from the official T mobile site. (They are setting on my PC desktop waiting for me to install--I am a 'double click' away from setting it in motion!). My reluctance is due to A) Never having performed an OS upgrade before and more importantly---B) Reading all the mixed results from posts in this forum...particularly from users who have experienced difficulties AFTER performing the Upgrade. At least 50% of the posts regarding the upgrade are negative. Not a real confidence booster for the novice (read: ME) user. I would love to go through with the upgrade (as you recommended in your reply---you did mention that older/previous versions of DM are removed if found during first stage of install. That was the major part of my concern.) Again, "it ain't broke. Why fix it!" You have given me some helpful advice. Imagine my regret/resentment if after going through with the upgrade I am left with a "dumb" smartphone. I love the BB curve right now. Will I love it even more after the upgrade?
    10-23-08 09:52 AM
    Reading forum posts will give you a one sided view of the situation. The vast majority of them relate to problems, the satisfied users don't usually post.

It is important to distinguish between the unofficial beta testing versions and the versions that carriers have tested and determined are ready for distribution and support.

I can certainly agree with the "not broken" philosophy, but the mid-life software refresh is much more then just fixing the errors, like we see with Widows, it adds significant new features and capabilities to the device.

On the Desktop side, the upgrade to the Desktop Manager is simple and reliable.

The Device side is a little more problematic, particularly the USB connection. If there is going to be a problem, that is where it will show up. Fortunately, it is easy to get a go-nogo confirmation. If you can do a backup, you do not have to worry about your USB connection.

10-23-08 11:36 AM
    Hey, here's a satisfied user!!!
    I love the upgrade and as you Selly I was very anxious before upgrading and almost freaking out asking muyself what I was doing during the 1 hour proces.
    Why upgrade as I have a perfect working 4.2?
    But it was surely worth it!
    From .69 official EU Tmo I am now even on the .81 from Australia that all these post are about.
    So GO FOR IT !!!
    10-23-08 11:42 AM
    The upgrade works perfectly just follow the instructions.
    10-23-08 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD