Bloomberg Article

T-Mobile USA, the fourth-largest U.S. mobile-service provider, said its tests of the new BlackBerry Z10 are going well, and it’s aiming to be the first American carrier “out of the gate” with the phone next month.

“The device is more stable than we anticipated,” said Frank Sickinger, head of business sales at T-Mobile USA, a unit of Deutsche Telekom AG. “If we are able to speed up the launch date, we will do that. Right now it’s looking like mid-March.”

The encouraging words come a week after BlackBerry unveiled the new phone, which is already on sale in the U.K. and Canada. BlackBerry, formerly known as Research In Motion Ltd., didn’t give a firm U.S. release date, saying the Z10 would be available sometime in March. That raised concern among investors, who drove down BlackBerry’s stock 17 percent in the two days after the debut event.

The U.S. is BlackBerry’s largest single market, and the company is counting on the new phone to win back customers lost to Apple Inc.’s iPhone and Google Inc.’s Android. After pioneering the smartphone industry, BlackBerry has seen its share of the market fall to the single digits.

While the price of the Z10 hasn’t been determined yet, Sickinger said the $199 price BlackBerry announced Jan. 30 is consistent with what T-Mobile USA has considered. T-Mobile USA, based in Bellevue, Washington, should be able to offer the Z10 to business customers about a week before retail sales start, Sickinger said.

Playing Catch-Up

For T-Mobile USA, which is merging with MetroPCS Communications Inc., the Z10 could provide a new way to woo customers -- especially business users. The carrier has been struggling to keep pace with rivals Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc. and Sprint Nextel Corp. Still, all the big carriers eventually plan to offer the new phone. BlackBerry, based in Waterloo, Ontario, said last week that lengthier testing procedures were behind the longer wait for the product in the U.S.

T-Mobile USA Chief Executive Officer John Legere has vowed to shake up the industry with measures such as selling phones on installment plans, rather than the typical approach of subsidizing the devices in return for two-year commitments.

In business services, where AT&T and Verizon dominate, Sickinger sees an opportunity to build on T-Mobile USA’s 5.5 percent market share. The arrival of new devices like the BlackBerry Z10 will help win business customers, he said. T- Mobile also will offer Apple’s iPhone later this year for the first time.

“I’m glad to see BlackBerry launch a relevant product,” Sickinger said. “BlackBerry stands to do very well in 2013 with T-Mobile.”
    Last edited by SixStringMadness; 02-07-13 at 04:10 PM.
    02-07-13 03:38 PM
    Yeah! I have already signed up for the pre-notification on T-mobile. I am hoping it is released the first part of March. I cannot wait for the Z10 any longer, I want it now. I just have to decide if I want it in white or black.
    02-07-13 03:56 PM
    I hope this is motivation to nudge the other carriers along, namely for me Verizon Wireless.

I have signed up for their "release info" emails, none received as of yet.

I also sent an email to their CS, expressing my feelings, where they confirmed no solid release date/timeframe.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    02-07-13 04:07 PM
    Somehow I doubt it but since there's some PR on it maybe it's possible.. T-mobile is a discount carrier. They rarely get the latest phones first.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    02-07-13 04:07 PM
    Somehow I doubt it but since there's some PR on it maybe it's possible.. T-mobile is a discount carrier. They rarely get the latest phones first.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930

I agree with the Bloomberg article that it could be a good draw for new customers.
    02-07-13 04:09 PM
    I was just chatting with AT&T customer rep and she said AT&T will be the first one to get in US. Here is what she exactly said

XXXXX: I hope AT&T gets this phone before anybody else gets here.
    Taiasha: I hope so too. A lot of people ask about it. I'd love to be able to deliver.
    Taiasha: Is there any other device I may assist you with today?
    XXXXX: I heard T-Mobile is getting by Mid march and no communication from AT&T yet. I am out of contract, so I can't wait any longer for the new phone.
    XXXXXX: I hope you understand my frustration.
    Taiasha: I certainly do understand your frustration. We'd love to keep you in the AT&T family.
    Taiasha: The release should come any day now. I can't speculate, but I heard we'd get it first.
    02-07-13 04:35 PM
    Yeah! I have already signed up for the pre-notification on T-mobile. I am hoping it is released the first part of March. I cannot wait for the Z10 any longer, I want it now. I just have to decide if I want it in white or black.
    If you are with T-Mobile, white will not be an option, as that is only exclusive to Verizon. Not sure if you knew that, but it had been confirmed
    02-07-13 04:50 PM
    Everyone wants it first, or wants to be the first to carry it! It's probably going to hit Wal-mart before any of the carriers get it!
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    02-07-13 04:51 PM
    So far, neither has confirmed to delivering it first, nor has VZW or Sprint.

So until there's a confirmation from a carrier with a release date, we're all set here to sit and wonder.....
    02-07-13 04:54 PM
    Finally some positive news. Seems like it has been all negative today on CB
    02-07-13 05:02 PM
    Finally some positive news. Seems like it has been all negative today on CB

I like the comment where they say the phone is more stable than they anticipated. That's good to hear from a carrier
    02-07-13 05:06 PM
    I don't think any of the carriers can deny that there is strong interest in the Z10 (maybe even more for the Q10). If T-Mobile is saying that it'll likely launch earlier than it projected and is aiming to be the first to carry the device in the States, you can bet that Verizon and AT&T will be looking to get their devices ready to sell as well. Hopefully, this turns into a race to be the first to release the Z10. I certainly hope so because coming to CrackBerry everyday and NOT having a Z10 yet is making me very, very impatient! I really want my Z10!
    02-07-13 07:24 PM
    You know what would also be a big draw for business customers? The Q10.

Reading that T-Mobile has no immediate plans to offer the Q10 is really disappointing.
    austriker and JR A like this.
    02-07-13 07:31 PM
    I just want T-Mobile to come out with one soon so I can retire my Curve. I really only use FB, Twitter, and Foursquare the most as far as apps go. Hopefully they'll get GetGlue as well. For music, Pandora and Spotify. I hope those will be available by the release date as well.
    02-07-13 07:53 PM
    Let's hope all US carriers try to push the release even earlier if they are getting frequent questions about it. Here's to wishful thinking.
    n9xbox likes this.
    02-07-13 08:30 PM
    Happy Happy Happy!
    02-07-13 08:34 PM
    Let's hope all US carriers try to push the release even earlier if they are getting frequent questions about it. Here's to wishful thinking.
    I've been pestering AT&T and even Verizon about the Z10 two to three times a week since the launch event (and even before). They know the device is in demand and I'm sure it's in their best interest to release it as soon as they possibly can.
    trynacu2 likes this.
    02-07-13 09:00 PM
    Taiasha: The release should come any day now. I can't speculate, but I heard we'd get it first.
    Isn't that exactly what speculating is?
    JR A and a1s2d3f4g5 like this.
    02-07-13 09:43 PM
    I thought all US carriers agreed on releasing the same day?

There might be a drop dead date for everyone to be ready but I think they are being wishful thinkers.
    02-07-13 09:53 PM
    I agree with the Bloomberg article that it could be a good draw for new customers.
    I will consider moving if verizon gets it much later.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-07-13 09:58 PM
    I don't think any of the carriers can deny that there is strong interest in the Z10 (maybe even more for the Q10). If T-Mobile is saying that it'll likely launch earlier than it projected and is aiming to be the first to carry the device in the States, you can bet that Verizon and AT&T will be looking to get their devices ready to sell as well. Hopefully, this turns into a race to be the first to release the Z10. I certainly hope so because coming to CrackBerry everyday and NOT having a Z10 yet is making me very, very impatient! I really want my Z10!
    Me too. Sadly T-Mobile seems to think March 15 will beat everyone else. I want March 1st or sooner!
    02-07-13 10:15 PM
    I will consider moving if verizon gets it much later.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

That's certainly the bug I planted in Verizon's ear.... Probably fell on a deaf ear, but at least I got it out there......

Too bad T-Mo doesn't have LTE, cuz its just a bluff on my part.
    02-07-13 10:18 PM
    Good for tmo I guess. Maybe we can get it in early March because of this but I doubt it.
    02-08-13 02:05 AM
    If they stick with their current date of March 27th, no way they will be first. Hoping they move it up, I've had my son waiting for his phone since August telling him I want to get him the newer phone. He was bummed when I told him the date is now March 27th.
    02-08-13 07:47 AM
    I say let the carriers battle it out, and keep making these public statements. It only benefits those of us waiting for the Z10 to be released.
    02-08-13 08:05 AM
46 12