Last week by T-Mobile, Danger (maker of the Sidekick), and Microsoft announced that there had been a catastrophic loss of user data that was likely permanent for all users of the Sidekick cell phone.

Apparently the Sidekick is a cloud device and stores its data (contacts, calendar, pictures, etc.) on Microsoft powered servers (first mistake) and these servers crashed. No big deal, just restore from backups right? Not exactly. Apparently they either didn’t do them properly or not at all.

Well in response to this debacle, T-Mobile has halted sales of the Sidekick by listing all of them as “Temporarily Out of Stock”. Unsupported Browser

T-Mobile will issue a status update on Monday, October 12th, but admitted that “the likelihood of a successful outcome is extremely low.”

To prevent further data loss, T-Mobile recommends keeping your Sidekick powered on during any service outages, and suggests that owners avoid turning off or resetting their devices.

Ok I know this is a sad day (week) for Sidekick owners but this last statement actually made me laugh out loud.
    Last edited by Daniel.Black; 10-12-09 at 08:55 AM.
    10-12-09 08:51 AM
    IF you know SK userand they havn't done it , backing up their contacts tot heir SIM card is a Good idea.
    10-12-09 09:11 AM
    I saw on Twitter that Perez Hilton had lost 2,000 contacts on his SK. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 09:32 AM
    I don't think anyone cares. Again, why is this posted in the RIM News and Rumors? This thread has nothing to do with RIM or any BlackBerry device.

For future reference, sir:
    Other Smartphones and Devices Forum
    10-12-09 09:37 AM
    As a former Sidekick user, I can tell you it's a horrible device. ALL Sks like to reset randomly. You don't even have to turn it off yourself. Just one random reset and BOOM your contacts/emails/texts/etc are GONE.

Normally, they would come back in a few min via the data network (provided you were in an area that had coverage) but this time, SK users have lost it all.

I'm so glad I switched to BB when I did.
    10-12-09 10:04 AM
    I don't think anyone cares. Again, why is this posted in the RIM News and Rumors? This thread has nothing to do with RIM or any BlackBerry device.

For future reference, sir:
    Other Smartphones and Devices Forum
    Good question with an easy answer. Because I/we love to bash the other phones.
    10-12-09 10:25 AM
    Microsoft bought Danger and why does everyone continue to bash microsoft. the same employees that work for Danger screwed up. Yes Microsoft now owns Danger but the hardware that exist prior to purchase is more than likely still in place. So to say that microsofts servers/hardware failed just to bash the company to get giggles is just stupid. especially you're more than likely running MS software.
    10-12-09 10:30 AM
    Now I really feel bad, I just read an article that said the deaf community relies heavily on the Sidekick for communication. Not sure if this is true or not, but it still brings home the reality of anyone being without a device that they need.
    10-12-09 11:09 AM
    Honestly I would think the deaf community could use any keyboard device and they would all work the same way. Wonder why they lean towards the Side Kick
    10-12-09 11:19 AM
    I had a Sidekick for awhile, it was a piece of JUNK! So glad I upgraded to a BB.
    10-12-09 11:34 AM
    Honestly I would think the deaf community could use any keyboard device and they would all work the same way. Wonder why they lean towards the Side Kick
    I think because the sidekick does TTY better then blackberry's.
    10-12-09 11:48 AM
    Now I really feel bad, I just read an article that said the deaf community relies heavily on the Sidekick for communication. Not sure if this is true or not, but it still brings home the reality of anyone being without a device that they need.
    that is true.
    10-12-09 11:48 AM
    I saw on Twitter that Perez Hilton had lost 2,000 contacts on his SK. .

hahah good
    10-12-09 11:58 AM
    Wow no wonder my cousins phone was messing up! Time to move on to on something better...time to get a BB!

10-12-09 01:09 PM
    T-Mobile offers a data only plan. Deaf people don't need voice but at some other cell phones companies have to pay for it.
    10-12-09 01:13 PM
    Microsoft bought Danger and why does everyone continue to bash microsoft. the same employees that work for Danger screwed up. Yes Microsoft now owns Danger but the hardware that exist prior to purchase is more than likely still in place. So to say that microsofts servers/hardware failed just to bash the company to get giggles is just stupid. especially you're more than likely running MS software.
    From what I have read, the problem came from an upgrade on a Hitachi San array... Even Desktop Manager knows to do a backup FIRST...
    10-12-09 02:00 PM
    My last device was da lx ...I'm so embarassed
    10-15-09 11:01 PM
    I am really sad to hear about this too because of the hearing impaired community. The Sidekick must be such a lifeline to them, more than us regular phone consumers could imagine.

And many of them are on limited incomes, so they really just need that data plan for texting with no voice minutes.
    10-16-09 04:45 PM
    Actually, being a deaf user of a blackberry curve, back then before everyone had the 8700 or the 7510 models, deaf users used mainly the Rim 950 pagers - it was either that or the motorla flip up pager. Danger came out wiht the sidekick pagers, and the deaf community embraced it mainly for it's AIM capabilities as well as Danger's version of push email. Over the years, more and more pda phones came out, but many stuck with the sidekicks because of the instant IM apps.

Now with this recent sidekick fiasco, just about everyone i know is dumping their sidekicks. While i dont speak for the deaf community, but losing your data beyond your control and only to be told "we'll give you a free month's of service" as a retention option, i'd tell tmobile to **** off Chef Ramsey style.

This data lost is bigger than huge for the deaf community, the sidekicks were their lifelines and to lose all of these customers in the up coming months. In fact, some deaf users are suing danger/tmobile for this data/service outage.

Brian
    10-18-09 03:15 PM
    <---- CODA here.

Deaf community has Looooong memories when something bad happens. Hope those who pitch the sidekick find their way to the BlackBerry.

Hopefully the fiasco with Danger/MS will help explain away the increased cost of BB service (I seem to recall that T-Mo sidekick had the most afforable service for the Deaf.)
    10-19-09 10:55 AM
    Actually, being a deaf user of a blackberry curve, back then before everyone had the 8700 or the 7510 models, deaf users used mainly the Rim 950 pagers - it was either that or the motorla flip up pager. Danger came out wiht the sidekick pagers, and the deaf community embraced it mainly for it's AIM capabilities as well as Danger's version of push email. Over the years, more and more pda phones came out, but many stuck with the sidekicks because of the instant IM apps.

Now with this recent sidekick fiasco, just about everyone i know is dumping their sidekicks. While i dont speak for the deaf community, but losing your data beyond your control and only to be told "we'll give you a free month's of service" as a retention option, i'd tell tmobile to **** off Chef Ramsey style.

This data lost is bigger than huge for the deaf community, the sidekicks were their lifelines and to lose all of these customers in the up coming months. In fact, some deaf users are suing danger/tmobile for this data/service outage.

Brian

Well said Brian!
    10-19-09 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD