I walked into a T-Mobile Store last night and was all prepared to buy the Blackberry Curve 8900 until the salesman told me DO NOT BUY A BLACKBERRY, because the 3G T-Mobile Blackberry will be out in no more than a month away. This sales man works on comission and in this economy is probably wanting to sell as many phones as possible. I later went to 2 other T-Mobile stores and they said the exact same thing not knowing what the other stores told me. I have a full uprgade and they told me do not use it on a blackberry now. What should I make of all this?!
    08-14-09 10:02 AM
    I walked into a T-Mobile Store last night and was all prepared to buy the Blackberry Curve 8900 until the salesman told me DO NOT BUY A BLACKBERRY, because the 3G T-Mobile Blackberry will be out in no more than a month away. This sales man works on comission and in this economy is probably wanting to sell as many phones as possible. I later went to 2 other T-Mobile stores and they said the exact same thing not knowing what the other stores told me. I have a full uprgade and they told me do not use it on a blackberry now. What should I make of all this?!
    First, the sales personnel at tmo work on commission and hourly pay so one cannot simply say they ONLY work on commission therefore the info they pass on to you is legitimate.

Second, it has been known that sales personnel, whether they be of tmo or any other carrier, have little knowledge of carrier's upcoming handsets. Im not saying they never do but this is often the case. Most of their info is often attained through word or mouth (rumors), and more commonly the internet, blogs such as CB.

Lastly, much of the talk on the forums here addresses that at&t is prepping for a Nov release and that tmo and at&t are trying hard to release the device before the other does but at&t has already began field testing, whereas there has been no word that tmo has even such a process yet. That would lead us to believe that at&t will probably release the device before tmo since they are apparently higher up in the release/approval process based on the evidence accumulated.

All i would say is that believe all you here from reps or even around the forums with a grain of salt, there are a lot of rumors floating around with little or no basis. All we've seen as of yet is a pic of a tmo 9700. Moving along, we're face with another dilemma: what the heck is a "driftwood"??!! Im patiently awaiting more info of both devices, you should too. I dont think we have any other choice bud!

PS: Browse the forums a bit before you post, this has been discussed a bazillion times lol!
    08-14-09 10:32 AM
    Question for those in the know about tmo - I would think that by the time a new, not yet released handset has branding on it, they must be pretty close to production readiness. Is this not the case?

btw, I totally agree that tmo reps are typically totally uninformed by tmo about as yet unannounced handsets - until they prep the sales and support groups on the new handset just a few weeks before launch.
    08-14-09 06:50 PM
    if tmo comes out with a 3g BB then i am definitely staying.
    08-14-09 06:58 PM
    Tmo really needs to bring there game there really behind
    08-14-09 07:42 PM
    I say T-Mobile bring in BOTH the 9700 *and* the 9520 for the holiday season.
    08-14-09 08:17 PM
    Wow, i do not know what to get now xD, the odin come in september but this one by the end of the month xD
    08-14-09 09:01 PM
    Question for those in the know about tmo - I would think that by the time a new, not yet released handset has branding on it, they must be pretty close to production readiness. Is this not the case?

btw, I totally agree that tmo reps are typically totally uninformed by tmo about as yet unannounced handsets - until they prep the sales and support groups on the new handset just a few weeks before launch.
    I somewhat agree about the Tmo reps, BUT the actual salespeople don't even get info about upcoming handsets until the shipments hit the stores a few nights before they release the display. This has been my personal experience over the past few months in different Tmo stores in NYC. Most of the time, I was the one educating the salesperson about the NEW T-MOBILE BLACKBERRY ABOUT TO LAUNCH, which I find a very wierd thing... but hey...

That said, I would suggest you wait until sept when this Newer New Blackberry drops in Sept for Tmo so you can compare with the Current New BB 8520 (which is the one I had to tell the Tmo reps in the store that they were getting LMAO).

That's my plan anyway, I am due for an upgrade but i don't want to run out & get the 8520 only to have the NEXT BB out only a few weeks later
    08-16-09 12:35 AM
    Does it really matter???
    T-Mo has virtually NO 3G....
    08-16-09 01:16 AM
    I somewhat agree about the Tmo reps, BUT the actual salespeople don't even get info about upcoming handsets until the shipments hit the stores a few nights before they release the display. This has been my personal experience over the past few months in different Tmo stores in NYC. Most of the time, I was the one educating the salesperson about the NEW T-MOBILE BLACKBERRY ABOUT TO LAUNCH, which I find a very wierd thing... but hey...

That said, I would suggest you wait until sept when this Newer New Blackberry drops in Sept for Tmo so you can compare with the Current New BB 8520 (which is the one I had to tell the Tmo reps in the store that they were getting LMAO).

That's my plan anyway, I am due for an upgrade but i don't want to run out & get the 8520 only to have the NEXT BB out only a few weeks later
    im in the same boat as you. im not a fan of the 8520 because it is so underwhelming. but when the onyx drops, its gonna make a cannon ball sized splash.
    08-19-09 11:24 PM
    Does it really matter???
    room for expansion
    08-20-09 01:50 AM
    Reading this thread a few days ago would have served me quite well but that's life. Guess I'll just have to save up my pennies and pay full retail for this new BB. At least I just got the 8900 which means I can still sell it once the new device comes out to offset the cost. or I may keep the 8900 as a backup. Either way, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...
    08-20-09 02:05 AM
    Does it really matter???
    That's a shame, In the UK and Europe they have one of the best netowrk coverage of 3G, fastest HSDPA, and 4G rolling out v soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 02:11 AM
    That's a shame, In the UK and Europe they have one of the best netowrk coverage of 3G, fastest HSDPA, and 4G rolling out v soon.

Sadly, the US is way behind the UK in that respect.
    08-20-09 09:22 AM
    When I upgrade to T-Mobile's 3G BlackBerry, anyone want to buy my 8900?
    08-21-09 01:45 PM
    I hope Tmo expands their 3G network, but here in Los Angeles, we are covered.
    09-01-09 12:55 PM
    Just spoke to blackberry reps at Tmo's customer service (611). It is confirmed. The new phone will have it all. 3G, WiFi, GPS, Global Phone, 3.2 megapixel, video recorder, streaming audio and video. Basically, an updated 8900. This will be hot.
    09-01-09 08:37 PM
    i just spoke with them yesterday, and they had no details on any new phones. just the 8520...
    09-01-09 08:44 PM
    People complaining about a lack of 3G lol..

Here in Aus you get GPRS or 3G... there is no EDGE here... and that means **** browsing on my 8900.
    09-02-09 12:42 AM
    Reading this thread a few days ago would have served me quite well but that's life. Guess I'll just have to save up my pennies and pay full retail for this new BB. At least I just got the 8900 which means I can still sell it once the new device comes out to offset the cost. or I may keep the 8900 as a backup. Either way, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it...
    Not to detract from the topic at hand, but I saw what you wrote about the n900 in your description thing and I agree with you. That OS looks amazing. I am still going to get the tmobile onyx. Hopefully it comes out soon, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    09-02-09 09:40 AM
    Just spoke to blackberry reps at Tmo's customer service (611). It is confirmed. The new phone will have it all. 3G, WiFi, GPS, Global Phone, 3.2 megapixel, video recorder, streaming audio and video. Basically, an updated 8900. This will be hot.
    i call BULLSH*T! i just called 611 on tmo's customer care service, and there is no confirmation. you are pulling this outta your a$$ forsure because i just called and they said that they only have the 8520. Everybody, lets thank sammy here for the BS lies.
    09-02-09 01:43 PM
    I say T-Mobile bring in BOTH the 9700 *and* the 9520 for the holiday season.
    Are you crazy? I'll have money for nothing else then. May be not even a wify!
    09-02-09 10:38 PM
    Called 4 different TMo stores yesterday and all 4 said release for 3g BB is this month. Called 611 and they didn't know anything. I have seen in the past that 611 knows next to nothing about new product and almost next to nothing for tech support.

As with ALL new info regarding TMo and new product, I am going to just take the wait and see attitude. I have been with them for 7 years and have become jaded with them always being behind with new technology. I DO hope that they DO release a 3g BB but their 3g coverage is so spotty I don't know if it would be worth it.

One final note, those who slam others for what they post on this forum should be very careful and look in the mirror. A few posts in this thread are quite dirisive but when you read them they are full of mis-spellings and gramatical errors. They just come off as childish and imature...

Last edited by ctrad45; 09-03-09 at 05:18 AM.
    09-03-09 05:10 AM
    I was told Sept. 15 a while back.
    09-03-09 06:45 AM
    Does it really matter???
    Virtually No 3G. You might be on crack or something. While T-Mobile's has been late to the 3G game, they are on their way to cover over 208 million pops by the end of the year.Currently they cover almost all the large cities . Just to give you an idea of what I am talking about check out this site

TmoNews – Unofficial T-Mobile News, Videos, Articles and more | Archive | 3G

This should give you an idea about how fast they are deploying 3G in different areas. If you are in a big city in USA, chances are that you are more or less under their 3G umbrella. things will only get better from now on.
    09-03-09 04:33 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD