Hey guys, I have an unlocked Sprint Bold 9930. I've already set up BIS filters and such on sprint.blackberry.com and I'm curious to what would happen if I switch the Sprint service to another phone and insert a T-Mobile SIM. Would that screw up my email filters? Thanks!

-mtmjr
    10-08-11 10:48 PM
    Your sim card is tied to your phone number, and therefore your account. If you don't have any kind of current account, it most likely will not let you get on AIM. Or, they will charge you by the amount of data transfered, which can be outrageous.
    10-08-11 11:15 PM
    Sorry, let me clarify. I've got both a Sprint account and a T-Mobile account. If I switch my Sprint service to another phone, I would want to insert my T-Mo SIM into the Bold.

I would have data services with T-Mobile, I'm only concerned with how the BIS servers would handle the change. Would I be able to go about business as usual or would I have to set up a new BIS account with T-Mo and re-enter email filters?
    10-08-11 11:20 PM
    You would have to set up a new BIS account on TMobile and re-enter the email filters.

BIS settings are carrier specific. Also, if you are using the @carrier.blackberry.net email on Sprint, you would lose that if you go to TMobile.
    10-09-11 08:47 AM
    Although the Sprint Bold might have a SIM card, that is primarily for Europe use.

You could unlock it and use the T-Mobile sim card; I don't think the 9930 supports T-Mobile's HSPA frequencies, leaving you stuck on EDGE.
    10-09-11 09:15 PM
    Yeah it's unlocked and i know it'll only get Edge, I'm just confused as to how BIS works.

If I were to, say, traveling Canada and stick in a Rogers SIM, would I have to set up Rogers BIS? That seems a bit ridiculous. I spoke with RIM support today and they suggested that I roam on Sprint for data (and thus BIS) and use the non-Sprint SIM for voice/text. That too seems ridiculous since roaming data internationally is more expensive than gold bricks.

That said, how DO people switch SIMs then? Do you really have to set up a new BIS every time?!

I'm also confused as to the new features of BIS 4.1, which is supposed to be out really soon. CB reported that it would bring non-interrupted email from switching Sims... That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for (that is, uninterrupted BIS). However, the RIM tech support guy was wholly ignorant of the 4.1 feature set...which is inspiring.

Sorry to pile on all the questions, just really confused at the moment
    10-09-11 09:31 PM
    I'm pretty sure (can't verify though, because RIM hasn't) that BIS is BIS, no matter what carrier you have.

Sent from my OSBB 9650 using Tapatalk
    10-09-11 09:43 PM
    I'm pretty sure (can't verify though, because RIM hasn't) that BIS is BIS, no matter what carrier you have.

Sent from my OSBB 9650 using Tapatalk
    With the upcoming upgrade to BIS you'll be able to swap SIM and have uninterrupted data/email.

Currently I believe it's a little more complicated.
    10-10-11 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD