Were you around for the Playbook fiasco? Showcase your product and then not release it for 10 months was a joke
    It was first announced on October 25th 2010, then available for sale on April 19th 2011. Definitely a delay in between, though you have some 'revisionist history' happening here.

Also of note: they showed it at DevCon in order to get people thinking about apps so it would launch with some ...
    01-12-13 11:01 AM
    Also of note: they showed it at DevCon in order to get people thinking about apps so it would launch with some ...
    That was the crucial point with the playbook getting announced a lot sooner before shipping than anything else from rim.
    01-12-13 12:44 PM
    No he didn't...
    Yes, yes he did. BlackBerry 10 release set for October - SlashGear

Remember?

As for me, I don't care if it takes that long for T-Mo to get it. I'll have my tax return by then. If other carriers get theirs before then I'll be there every week pllaying with it and getting a head start on the learning curve.
    Saiga likes this.
    01-13-13 09:15 AM
    Yes, yes he did. BlackBerry 10 release set for October - SlashGear

Remember?

As for me, I don't care if it takes that long for T-Mo to get it. I'll have my tax return by then. If other carriers get theirs before then I'll be there every week pllaying with it and getting a head start on the learning curve.
    What's this? A reasonable response to a later TMO launch date? Well, not everyone is going to go raging mad and grab a cookie-cutter android phone after all.
    pantlesspenguin and zyben like this.
    01-13-13 09:48 AM
    What's this? A reasonable response to a later TMO launch date? Well, not everyone is going to go raging mad and grab a cookie-cutter android phone after all.
    Heh I've actually been using Android for the past couple years :P. I'll be giving up my SGS3 in favor of the z10.
    01-13-13 09:54 AM
    It's still upsetting that RIM is calling this a "launch event" when it isn't, not for Americans it seems.
    01-13-13 09:55 AM
    It's still upsetting that RIM is calling this a "launch event" when it isn't, not for Americans it seems.
    Perhaps not. We don't know when it's launching 'officially' for the other US carriers. I understand that RIM needs to make a HUGE splash in the US market, but there are more BB-saturated markets to worry about for RIM, and I can understand why they would slowly build up in the US to try to gain market share back. Think of it this way, if they focused a huge BIG BANG launch on the US, had the hardware ready to sell at all of the carriers a week after the 30th, there would be buzz for a week or two, and then the media would be reporting on the "soft" sales of BB10 in the US because of hesitation to adopt - people have an OLD idea of what a BlackBerry is and to just SHOW them something new and it have the name "BlackBerry" and not "Apple" or "Samsung," they'd hesitate if not forget to consider it altogether.

It's really a delicate situation here in the US for RIM, and boy do I wish them all the luck in the world, because I want nothing more for BB10 to be an amazing success. Just remember, RIM doesn't need to sell 5 million handsets in the first weekend of sales to be a success like some others do. This is a world-wide effort and I know they're planning accordingly.

Wow, sorry for the book!
    pantlesspenguin and zyben like this.
    01-13-13 10:01 AM
    Heh I've actually been using Android for the past couple years :P. I'll be giving up my SGS3 in favor of the z10.
    Shame on you, but welcome back!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-13-13 10:02 AM
    I'm considering selling my stock then and buy back after it drops when these dates come out on Jan 30.

Also, I think most people expected February, not APRIL. March 27 is basically April. Call it what it is.
    Hasn't RIM said (since the last delay) that they were pushing it back to the end of Q1? March 27th seems about right based on that. Also, don't AT&T usually get an exclusive on these major BB launches? Perhaps AT&T get it first and T-Mobile are having to wait for a different model?
    01-14-13 09:18 AM
    What I really hope for with T-Mobile is that the phone is not overpriced like with the 9900.

The 9900 was 299.99 AFTER a 50 dollar mail in rebate with new contract and upgrade. So upfront the phone was a little over 400 dollars.

The phone would need to be competitive with the S3, NOTE 2, and HTC ONE-S on tmobile to even have a chance.
    T-Mobile are eliminating subsidized pricing entirely, possibly when the iPhone launched (Rumored for the end of March) so the BB may well cost a lot more that $299 unless they continue upgrades for grandfathered customers.
    01-14-13 09:23 AM
    T-Mobile are eliminating subsidized pricing entirely, possibly when the iPhone launched (Rumored for the end of March) so the BB may well cost a lot more that $299 unless they continue upgrades for grandfathered customers.
    You're partly correct. Everyone will be charged the full price, regardless of their plan. You have a choice of how much you pay up front. Do you want to pay it all up front or pay it over 20 months? If it's 20 months, then after 20 months, you stop paying for the phone. With AT&T/old Tmo/VZW/Sprint, you continue paying for the phone.
    lactose likes this.
    01-14-13 09:44 AM
    You're partly correct. Everyone will be charged the full price, regardless of their plan. You have a choice of how much you pay up front. Do you want to pay it all up front or pay it over 20 months? If it's 20 months, then after 20 months, you stop paying for the phone. With AT&T/old Tmo/VZW/Sprint, you continue paying for the phone.
    Sure, but the customer will still be paying full retail price (along the lines of $550 if the 9900 is any indicator). Granted this is in return for a lower monthly service cost but a lot of folks won't understand that (some will flat out ignore it) and will merely see the $550 on t-mobile vs $199 or whatever on AT&T. I personally love this move to non-subsidized pricing and foresee all carriers adopting it and having to actually compete on plan price rather than who has an exclusive on the newest devices and who can lock in the most customers.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-14-13 09:59 AM
    Sure, but the customer will still be paying full retail price (along the lines of $550 if the 9900 is any indicator). Granted this is in return for a lower monthly service cost but a lot of folks won't understand that (some will flat out ignore it) and will merely see the $550 on t-mobile vs $199 or whatever on AT&T. I personally love this move to non-subsidized pricing and foresee all carriers adopting it and having to actually compete on plan price rather than who has an exclusive on the newest devices and who can lock in the most customers.

I think T-Mobile needs to stick with marketing paying for it cheaply, but a term like "transparent bill" is too much for most Americans. What I know is that if TMo is really at the end of March, then I will cancel and re-create a contract with AT&T. Actually, I think my mom's phone is due for an upgrade. I'd love to take that, but she wants to leave AT&T entirely by June, and 3/5 lines can be canceled in March. My health insurance dropped $25, so I don't mind paying AT&T $30 more for service . Of course, that's if the rumors are true.

01-14-13 10:06 AM

You pay full retail, but the plans are way cheaper. As an example, on T-Mobile now I currently pay about $205 per month (with a discount of who I work for) for 4 lines, the first two have unlimited voice, the next two have 500 minutes voice each, and all for lines have unlimited txt, and each get unlimited data throttled after 2GB (which we never hit because of BlackBerry). The cost before taxes and discount is $200 per month. I bought two 9900 for $279 each, and two 9360 for $79 each (so about $320 subsidy for each phone or $1280 total). If I switch to SIM only, and pay for the phones outright, then I can get unlimted talk/txt/data to 2GB then throttled for $170, or share 1000 minutes across all lines and unlimited talk/txt/data to 2GB not throttle for $110. So I can either save $30 a month and get everyone unlimited voice and save $720 over life of contract, or save $90 per month and save almost $2200 over life of contract. I'm going to be adding a fifth line when BB10 phone releases and add my 3rd son to the contract, which would raise my monthly fee to $230 a month, or go to $205 or $115 depending on unlimited voice for all lines or 1000 shared. I'm thinking of dropping to the 1000 minutes shared because we don't use a lot of voice across the lines and it would provide significant savings over the life of the contract. People will still have the option to pay $20 per month per phone and get $400 off the initial phone price and get basically interest free financing for 20 months. I'm sure the sales people will explain this very well.
    01-14-13 10:47 AM
    I think the way T-Mobile has recently gone about marketing this strategy is "$199 down plus monthly payments of $x for y months" which, I guess, softens the blow of seeing the $500 price. Plus they have "late night deals" every once in a while...but those usually iinvolve the hassle and uncertainty of mail-in rebates.

If I wasn't into a sweet (for me) grandfather plan, I too wouldn't mind the move to Value, except for one reason: I just cannot come to terms with signing a contract for an unsubsidized device.
    01-14-13 10:51 AM
    I think the way T-Mobile has recently gone about marketing this strategy is "$199 down plus monthly payments of $x for y months" which, I guess, softens the blow of seeing the $500 price. Plus they have "late night deals" every once in a while...but those usually iinvolve the hassle and uncertainty of mail-in rebates.

If I wasn't into a sweet (for me) grandfather plan, I too wouldn't mind the move to Value, except for one reason: I just cannot come to terms with signing a contract for an unsubsidized device.
    Why not? It's the same thing. I don't understand why people are so confused about it. You *stop* paying for your phone after you've paid off the cost of the phone.

Let's do some Math .

TMobile
    Upfront: $700
    Monthly: $50
    24 mos: $1200 + $700 = $1900

Upfront: $200
    Monthly: $50 + $35 (for phone over 20 months)
    After 20 months: $700 paid off for the phone, old monthly price was $85/mo
    Next 4 months and beyond: $85/mo now down to original $50/mo
    Total after 24 months: $1900

ATT
    Monthly $95
    24 mos: $2280 + $200 = $2480
    01-14-13 11:05 AM
    Why not? It's the same thing. I don't understand why people are so confused about it. You *stop* paying for your phone after you've paid off the cost of the phone.
    Oh I know it's the same thing and T-Mobile's service is cheaper. But the whole point of providing phone subsidies (while raping you on monthly service costs to recoup the money) is to soften the sticker shock of buying a $500 phone (and earning a nice profit once the contract is over, of course.) This is why TMO, if they decide to stick with showing the full upfront cost (i.e. what it would cost after down+monthly payments), they will need to heavily advertize the same math you've posted.
    01-14-13 11:16 AM

Let's do some Math .

TMobile
    Upfront: $700
    Monthly: $50
    24 mos: $1200 + $700 = $1900

Monthly: $50 + $35 (for phone over 20 months)
    After 20 months: $700 paid off for the phone, old monthly price was $85/mo
    Next 4 months and beyond: $85/mo now down to original $50/mo
    Total after 24 months: $1900

ATT
    Monthly $95
    24 mos: $2280 + $200 = $2480
    lol nice job with this..

Except the fact that the most the EIP is 20 a month lol. Not 35. The galaxy s3 right now is 200 down. 20 a month for 20/21 months. Total 599.99. After that, bill drops by 20 a month. Alas if you have a 59.99 unlimited talk,text,web (2GB 4G), it becomes 79.99 while paying, then back down to 59.99 after 20 months.

Cant beat that =]
    01-15-13 12:53 AM
    lol nice job with this..

Except the fact that the most the EIP is 20 a month lol. Not 35. The galaxy s3 right now is 200 down. 20 a month for 20/21 months. Total 599.99. After that, bill drops by 20 a month. Alas if you have a 59.99 unlimited talk,text,web (2GB 4G), it becomes 79.99 while paying, then back down to 59.99 after 20 months.

Cant beat that =]
    I knew mostly how it worked. Didn't know you could do $200 down then the other $400 over 20 months. I'm trying not to think about it too much, because I really want to go to T-Mobile to save a few $$. Waiting til March, if it's true, is too long .
    01-15-13 02:00 AM
    I knew mostly how it worked. Didn't know you could do $200 down then the other $400 over 20 months. I'm trying not to think about it too much, because I really want to go to T-Mobile to save a few $$. Waiting til March, if it's true, is too long .
    Waited this long. If anything, all the bugs will be worked out by the time the T-Mobile version came out ( if it does indeed come out later then other carriers ). I wonder if it will include wifi calling.
    01-15-13 02:07 AM
    Waited this long. If anything, all the bugs will be worked out by the time the T-Mobile version came out ( if it does indeed come out later then other carriers ). I wonder if it will include wifi calling.
    I don't care for the bugs :}. I just need a better smartphone than my 9900, so that I can get the Z10 working with my thesis project . I'm going to need client-side authentication, and BB + BB10 is perfect for importing certs and using a modern browser to view my project. (The authentication is part of the project; a security feature.)
    01-15-13 02:16 AM
    I just did a quick mini personal survey of how well TMO reps are aware of BB10 is coming. So I called bunch of TMO stores in the vicinity. My question to them was if they know when TMO will carry BB10 phones and to my surprise, all of the reps were fully aware of BB10 is coming. As I expected they don't know the exact date. All of them were very courteous over the phone. None of them said anything bad about BB10. Most of them are aware of the Jan-30th date. One rep actually told me to check back in a week.
    Each of us should call a couple TMO stores and inquire them with the same question so they know it's better to carry BB10 sooner than later and there is a high anticipation for BB10.
    raino and zyben like this.
    01-16-13 02:46 PM
    Each of us should call a couple TMO stores and inquire them with the same question so they know it's better to carry BB10 sooner than later and there is a high anticipation for BB10.
    I'm down. I need to find out about the subsidy issue anyways, if it'll be possible for me to buy the London on a subsidy.
    Last edited by raino; 01-17-13 at 08:59 PM. Reason: London. Not Lisbon.
    01-16-13 03:05 PM
    I'm down. I need to find out about the subsidy issue anyways, if it'll be possible for me to buy the Lisbon on a subsidy.
    You can buy it on a "subsidy" before March 17 if they release the damn phone before then. Even after March 17, you will have to pay $200 up front and only $20/mo after for 20 months. It's the same as paying $100 month for AT&T except that after 20 months, you bill drops $20.
    01-16-13 03:37 PM
    wait if you are already on a classic plan aren't they going to grandfather you in and therefore still allow you to subsidice it?
    01-16-13 09:09 PM
80 1234