US justice dept stopping merger of T-mobile and AT&T according to CNN. With this merger stopped, Canadian companies should look at getting into the US market

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 12:58 PM
    US justice dept stopping merger of T-mobile and AT&T according to CNN. With this merger stopped, Canadian companies should look at getting into the US market

"Suing to stop" is not equivalent to "stopping." Though it's unlikely the merger will go through, it's inaccurate to suggest it's been "stopped" already.
    09-05-11 01:30 PM
    Att is willing to sell 25% of their stake in TMO to help the deal along. I think its still up in the air not shore what will happen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-05-11 03:16 PM
    The WSJ pointed out that even if AT&T won in court against the Justice dept. the deal would still have to get FCC approval and the FCC has NEVER approved something the DOJ was against.
    09-05-11 04:00 PM
    I can't tell you how much I don't want it to go through. I came from craptastic at&suck to T-Mobile and I refuse to go back. I figured if the merge went through, the Big Red or Sprint here we come....or worse Virgin Mobile, lol!

Guatiao likes this.
    09-05-11 04:07 PM
    First they said it would be done, now they've called it off. They gotta make up their minds. lol

09-05-11 08:44 PM
    There had to be "some kind o nasty" in this deal for the DOJ to kill it. I'll bet they were going to tie up Sprint and VZ in some kind of patent action and lock up the whole market. Consumers are always the last to know (and the hardest hit) when these transactions occur.

In any case I'm sure they had a good reason.
    09-05-11 09:28 PM
    I'm glad it happened (the doj getting involved I mean, I know its not stopped yet), less competition is never good for prices.
    First useful thing the doj had done for a while imho.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-05-11 10:28 PM
    If the deal doesn't go through due to the DOJ suit does AT&T still have to play TMO the $3 billion?
    09-06-11 09:16 AM
    Naturally I hope the deal falls apart, then I'd like to see Sprint/Branson buy the network and re-brand as VirginMobile.
    09-06-11 10:58 AM
    If the deal doesn't go through due to the DOJ suit does AT&T still have to play TMO the $3 billion?
    Not just the $3 billion cancellation fee, but also a package of spectrum concessions worth another $4 billion or so.
    09-06-11 11:24 AM
    Wow I guess AT&T will have to use some of the huge amounts of spectrum it is sitting on and the spectrum from the Qualcomm 700 MHz sale to build out LTE. I still think T-Mobile will be acquired, but at least hopefully it will be bought buy someone wanting to be be a legitimate player and not just kill off competition.
    09-07-11 06:37 AM
    I want to see more GSM in the US.
    09-09-11 05:21 AM
    If this merger is allowed you will see Metro PCS picked up by Verizon or Sprint and I don't think the government want this to happen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-09-11 05:45 AM
    Not just the $3 billion cancellation fee, but also a package of spectrum concessions worth another $4 billion or so.
    No, if this is stopped by DOJ and FCC then there is no "breakup fee" as I understand it, because this is not something ATT has control over. That would come into play if T backed out of the deal. I think if T refused to fight it, then it would, but not if they fight and lose.

Either way, this is going to be expensive for T.
    09-09-11 09:31 AM
    I want to see more GSM in the US.
    I'd love a new network to take the spectrum and make an all-4G network. Why be tied to older technology? Leapfrog!
    09-09-11 02:44 PM
    Great avatar Bromo33333.
    09-09-11 02:55 PM
    Naturally I hope the deal falls apart, then I'd like to see Sprint/Branson buy the network and re-brand as VirginMobile.
    As cool as that would be, not gonna happen...
    09-09-11 09:00 PM
    I'd love a new network to take the spectrum and make an all-4G network. Why be tied to older technology? Leapfrog!
    Newer technologies tend to need more base-stations than the previous one so you'd have somebody buying it up and then needing to spend a lot on roaming fees, having crappy coverage or have the hassle of adding a lot more base stations which wouldn't be a smart way for them to start out.
    09-10-11 06:13 AM

This type of glitch is not uncommon and does not mean the deal will not go through. Just give AT&T some time to bribe the government officials, all will be good and T-Mo will be "Owned"!
    09-10-11 04:57 PM
    The technology loving gadget fanatic side of me does NOT want this merge to happen.

But the free-enterprise loving American side of me does.

09-12-11 02:53 AM

I think it would go the other way. If AT&T can't merge with T-Mobile then they should look to expand north.

I don't think the Canadian companies could make it down south, our pricing is higher I believe, where as the american could make it big up here.

But then again I don't know a lot about business.
    09-12-11 03:54 AM
    I hope it doesn't go through. Too bad RIM couldn't have their own towers. How amazing would that be.

09-12-11 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD