08-01-20 12:49 AM
104 ... 345
tools
    Absolutely. Apple's main advantage in my eyes is their vertical integration that allows them to reduce model variations and thus support older devices for as long as they do. It is definitely a different situation with Android.
    Yeah the move to put the same chip in the SE as this years flagship was kinda surprising.... but in another way it makes a lot of sense.

100% Google has to take the lead with Android, but they'd have to pressure chip makers to offer longer support as well... but it's an open market, with competition from chip vendors, and hardware manufactures. It's tough to add something that clearly is going to add to the end products cost.

At one time I bought a new PC every year.. then ever two or three years. Now you can go five or six years (or longer) without a real need to upgrade - work we are on seven years, still noting needing newer hardware. I bet if you buy a 5G phone next year.... won't be a hardware reason to upgrade for at least five years. Camera's aren't getting that much better. While processor speeds hasn't peaked... it's tough to find something that will slow down a current flagship chipset. Unless you are a hardcore gamer. The weak spot for Android is the software....
    07-30-20 11:10 AM
    Yeah the move to put the same chip in the SE as this years flagship was kinda surprising.... but in another way it makes a lot of sense.

100% Google has to take the lead with Android, but they'd have to pressure chip makers to offer longer support as well... but it's an open market, with competition from chip vendors, and hardware manufactures. It's tough to add something that clearly is going to add to the end products cost.

At one time I bought a new PC every year.. then ever two or three years. Now you can go five or six years (or longer) without a real need to upgrade - work we are on seven years, still noting needing newer hardware. I bet if you buy a 5G phone next year.... won't be a hardware reason to upgrade for at least five years. Camera's aren't getting that much better. While processor speeds hasn't peaked... it's tough to find something that will slow down a current flagship chipset. Unless you are a hardcore gamer. The weak spot for Android is the software....
    Both Troy and yourself missed the point and addressed each response as tech aficionados rather than viewing as a lay person. A "new" device unused is a new device to the average person irrespective. In the case of my daughter's BF her parents bought the 7 over the holidays because it was affordable and met the needs for their daughter. It does everything any other iPhone does albeit not as fast as the latest.

The comment "the weak spot for Android is software" is also from a similar perspective. Especially in regards to the global market share of the two OS's. Do I prefer iOS's official support? Of course.... BUT I don't prefer iOS like the majority. So many here act as if older Android devices stop working or meeting the normal lay persons needs and that's simply false. So few people update every year or even two any longer. How many Android devices are still on 6,7,8 and 9? Did they stop functioning or meeting persons needs or do their apps still update via Play Store, send texts, make calls, take pictures, etc....
    07-31-20 10:10 PM
    Both Troy and yourself missed the point and addressed each response as tech aficionados rather than viewing as a lay person. A "new" device unused is a new device to the average person irrespective. In the case of my daughter's BF her parents bought the 7 over the holidays because it was affordable and met the needs for their daughter. It does everything any other iPhone does albeit not as fast as the latest.

The comment "the weak spot for Android is software" is also from a similar perspective. Especially in regards to the global market share of the two OS's. Do I prefer iOS's official support? Of course.... BUT I don't prefer iOS like the majority. So many here act as if older Android devices stop working or meeting the normal lay persons needs and that's simply false. So few people update every year or even two any longer. How many Android devices are still on 6,7,8 and 9? Did they stop functioning or meeting persons needs or do their apps still update via Play Store, send texts, make calls, take pictures, etc....
    But what is YOUR actual point, beyond the fact that some people buy previous year's devices new?
    07-31-20 10:33 PM
    Both Troy and yourself missed the point and addressed each response as tech aficionados rather than viewing as a lay person. A "new" device unused is a new device to the average person irrespective. In the case of my daughter's BF her parents bought the 7 over the holidays because it was affordable and met the needs for their daughter.
    And you don't think they have any understanding of the fact that the reason it was affordable is because it was an old model? I promise you, they're aware that it's an old model. And if it stopped working a year from now (it won't, but if it did), they'd know darn well that they took a risk by buying an older tech product. All but the least techie people grasp this much.
    3800 likes this.
    08-01-20 12:49 AM
104 ... 345