Excuse me, I don't follow the topic that attentively, but I've heard the US will have difficulties with 5g infrastructure without using Huawei's hardware - the world's leader in this area at the moment. Can it be true? Who is challenging Huawei? Nokia, Ericsson? Any US-based companies in this list?

Posted via CB10
    its not like it will be nationwide in 2 months. It will take years just like LTE did but major cities everywhere in the US are seeing it pop up gradually.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-20 03:00 PM
    And, yes, it's perfectly legal and things like this have happened several times in the past. I'm old enough to have had analog cell phone service, and I was forced to move to digital when that transition happened, and a few years ago, folks with older 2G-only devices got left behind. AT&T is giving people plenty of notice, but you can bet that this change is coming and most older devices will be left behind.
    AT&T spent years getting folks off of TDMA and 2G services back when the Cingular/AT&T/new at&t mess went down. The evolution happens every few years and the sooner people accept it (since you're not going to change it) the better. It really is just repeating the past.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-20 04:13 PM
    Excuse me, I don't follow the topic that attentively, but I've heard the US will have difficulties with 5g infrastructure without using Huawei's hardware - the world's leader in this area at the moment. Can it be true? Who is challenging Huawei? Nokia, Ericsson? Any US-based companies in this list?

Posted via CB10
    Huawei is making the big push to be a big player in 5G. But, they are by no means the only one.

AT&T's roll-out of 5G in the US started in 2018 - a year before the anti-Huawei thing started - but never used any Huawei equipment.

They haven't had any trouble yet.
    07-27-20 05:01 PM
    I understand how you can see it that way. But as you know, that's not how the industry sees it. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a May 2017 device - regardless of colour or regional availability.
    It's how everyone that buys a new phone views their purchase. I and likely all on these forums know the release of the 3GB/32GB KeyOne. People still buy "new" to them iPhone 7's and a myriad of other devices and they like everyone else could care less when the new to them was officially released.
    07-27-20 05:15 PM
    It's how everyone that buys a new phone views their purchase. I and likely all on these forums know the release of the 3GB/32GB KeyOne. People still buy "new" to them iPhone 7's and a myriad of other devices and they like everyone else could care less when the new to them was officially released.
    Take whatever pleasure you wish feeling that way, but it's simply not the way it works.

The support clock starts ticking for every device, for every manufacturer, the moment the first unit is sold (not to be confused with your own product warranty).
    eshropshire and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-27-20 05:18 PM
    The only problem is that now T-Mobile/Sprint merger has changed in T-Mobile to BYOD strategy. There's another thread here about how T-Mobile just sent out similar email. Also, I use TMO as backup to my AT&T service. The BE KEYone lacks band 66 and relies on band 4 instead. Recently, TMO switched about 1/2 transmitters from band 4 to band 66 as part of updated service and coverage enhancements. I barely have signal now and data is 90% slower.

I'm certain of this as Motion has no problems same as before since it has band 66 and I've since confirmed with TMO customer service.
    Must be area dependent. You seem to always have less availability on T-Mobile there in FL but then I think you are using their lessor pre-paid. As - have noted DIGITS since I purchased my BE has allowed WiFi calling as it does for all post paid accounts.

I just returned home from an EPIC trip on the California Zypher from CA to CO with our son. He uses his T-Mobile S9 and I had my BE our signal strength all along the route was damn near identical and about as identical as other travelers in the lounge car checking service(s) as well.

Same goes for our time spent hanging out in Denver Colorado so I have little to no doubt there will be or are issues for BlackBerry Key users riding on T-Mobile at least on full boat, unlimited post paid accounts that we have.

Traveling, to me, is always a good litmus for coverage and service. It was a similar trip a few years back that had me switch from AT&T and save 63 dollars per month for several years until our kids got lines. That was $$ in the bank. And I still can't find as good a deal as we have for multiple lines with Verizon or AT&T and the Sprint acquisition should make T-Mobile all that much better.
    07-27-20 05:28 PM
    Again the title of the thread should be changed from "Blackberry's" to "Unlocked-carrier free" phones IMHO.
    07-27-20 05:29 PM
    Take whatever pleasure you wish feeling that way, but it's simply not the way it works.

The support clock starts ticking for every device, for every manufacturer, the moment the first unit is sold (not to be confused with your own product warranty).
    I know the way it works. What you seem to be missing is how everyday consumers view the matter. A new iPhone 7 purchased by a lay person is a new iPhone 7 to them. Not a 4 year old device.

I noted in another post I just got off a epic train journey. Do most here realize how long many people keep their phones? So many older Apple and Samsung devices in lay persons usage.
    07-27-20 05:35 PM
    I know the way it works. What you seem to be missing is how everyday consumers view the matter. A new iPhone 7 purchased by a lay person is a new iPhone 7 to them. Not a 4 year old device.

I noted in another post I just got off a epic train journey. Do most here realize how long many people keep their phones? So many older Apple and Samsung devices in lay persons usage.
    Not really sure what point you're trying to make though. Maybe we're talking about different things.

Yes, I understand that something can feel new to you, even if it's not new to the product line.

But everyone still understands the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a 2017 product, yes?

If I buy a 2019 model car new today from a dealer, I still understand it's a 2019 model car.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-20 05:42 PM
    Must be area dependent. You seem to always have less availability on T-Mobile there in FL but then I think you are using their lessor pre-paid. As - have noted DIGITS since I purchased my BE has allowed WiFi calling as it does for all post paid accounts.

I just returned home from an EPIC trip on the California Zypher from CA to CO with our son. He uses his T-Mobile S9 and I had my BE our signal strength all along the route was damn near identical and about as identical as other travelers in the lounge car checking service(s) as well.

Same goes for our time spent hanging out in Denver Colorado so I have little to no doubt there will be or are issues for BlackBerry Key users riding on T-Mobile at least on full boat, unlimited post paid accounts that we have.

Traveling, to me, is always a good litmus for coverage and service. It was a similar trip a few years back that had me switch from AT&T and save 63 dollars per month for several years until our kids got lines. That was $$ in the bank. And I still can't find as good a deal as we have for multiple lines with Verizon or AT&T and the Sprint acquisition should make T-Mobile all that much better.
    Postpaid or prepaid doesn’t matter regarding T-Mobile band coverage. Prioritization affects data speeds but in this case, it’s simply T-Mobile band implementation. The Motion I have is getting perfectly great coverage since band 66 is present with the slightly newer device.

T-Mobile primary strength in pricing is four lines or less. Once you hit five lines or more, AT&T pricing gains traction. I usually have 9-11 lines active on AT&T for personal and business use. That’s how I got the backup T-Mobile lines now but as of July 1, still couldn’t beat AT&T pricing. I check every three months or so.
    07-27-20 05:52 PM
    No one really knows.... BB10 is 4G so from that aspect they should work after 3G shutdown.

But the kicker is... Verizon "4G LTE smartphones that do not support current HD Voice" will not be supported. That includes a list of Android and Apple phones from 2014 and later.

The list I saw for AT&T... also did not include older BB10 devices.

I suspect there are a lot more iPhone 5S owners, not going to be happy than the few BB10 users.
    Yes, I agree. I was just wondering if any of out BB10 posters received the email from AT&T.
    07-27-20 06:16 PM
    Posted via CB10
    What I would be interested in (and would like to hear on from US-based posters) whether it is indeed true that 5G spectrum is much scarcer in the USA than it is here in Europe, due to existing military deployments (mostly in the sub-6Ghz spectrum).
    If this is true, then again one more point on why the spectrum refarming is more acute for American carriers than for European ones (aside from economic/cost considerations of course)
    07-28-20 05:23 AM
    What I would be interested in (and would like to hear on from US-based posters) whether it is indeed true that 5G spectrum is much scarcer in the USA than it is here in Europe, due to existing military deployments (mostly in the sub-6Ghz spectrum).
    If this is true, then again one more point on why the spectrum refarming is more acute for American carriers than for European ones (aside from economic/cost considerations of course)
    You can check it out.... https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spect...e/fcctable.pdf for how bands are used worldwide and in the US.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-28-20 07:36 AM
    Postpaid or prepaid doesn’t matter regarding T-Mobile band coverage. Prioritization affects data speeds but in this case, it’s simply T-Mobile band implementation. The Motion I have is getting perfectly great coverage since band 66 is present with the slightly newer device.

T-Mobile primary strength in pricing is four lines or less. Once you hit five lines or more, AT&T pricing gains traction. I usually have 9-11 lines active on AT&T for personal and business use. That’s how I got the backup T-Mobile lines now but as of July 1, still couldn’t beat AT&T pricing. I check every three months or so.
    https://phandroid.com/2020/07/27/how...e-competition/
    07-28-20 02:34 PM
    This literally confirms everything I’ve said....
    07-28-20 02:39 PM
    Not really sure what point you're trying to make though. Maybe we're talking about different things.

Yes, I understand that something can feel new to you, even if it's not new to the product line.

But everyone still understands the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is a 2017 product, yes?

If I buy a 2019 model car new today from a dealer, I still understand it's a 2019 model car.
    The lay person that buys a new car '19, '20, '21 depending on brand and model is STILL a new car in their eyes. Same as a phone or anything else.

A lay person is looking for a new Amazon Fire HD10 tablet so they go to Amazon and buy. In their eyes they just bought a new tablet. They probably don't know or even care it was released in late October of '19.

Most of us "tech" aficionados (or geeks) might gasp and say but wait its a '19 tablet and they would just gloss over and say oh my this works great with my Amazon Prime membership and streaming my Game of Thrones is exceptional! (Unless they want the newest HBO Max for the same price as regular HBO like myself)

I know the way it works. You know the way it works with year releases etc. What your missing is that the average person couldn't CARE less. If its brand new (never been used) then it's NEW to them.

Also realize the average person couldn't care less about updates and security patches. In fact as BlackBerry fans we know the average consumer does not care about security and privacy. Most consumers are all over all kinds of forms of social media. It's those apps and their availability that made other platforms like Windows and BlackBerry bite the dust.
    Last edited by bh7171; 07-28-20 at 02:56 PM.
    07-28-20 02:45 PM
    This literally confirms everything I’ve said....
    That for most single users, couples and or families of 4 or less T-Mobile is far more affordable? 🤔😁
    07-28-20 02:47 PM
    The lay person that buys a new car '19, '20, '21 depending on brand and model is STILL a new car in there eyes. Same as a phone or anything else.

A lay person is looking for a new Amazon Fire HD10 tablet so they go to Amazon and buy. In their eyes they just bought a new tablet. They probably don't know or even care it was released in late October of '19.

Most of us "tech" aficionados (or geeks) might gasp and say but wait its a '19 tablet and they would just gloss over and say oh my this works great with my Amazon Prime membership and streaming my Game of Thrones is exceptional! (Unless they want the newest HBO Max for the same price as regular HBO like myself)

I know the way it works. You know the way it works with year releases etc. What your missing is that the average person could CARE less. If its brand new (never been used) then it's NEW to them.

Also realize the average person could probably care less about updates and security patches. In fact as BlackBerry fans we know the average consumer could care less about security and privacy. Most consumers are all over all kinds of forms of social media. It's those apps and there availability that made other platforms like Windows and BlackBerry bite the dust.
    I still don't understand the point you're trying to make. Yes, sometimes we are still able to buy one or two year old products new. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, you mean "couldn't care less". If you COULD care less, then the statement makes no sense. Sorry, pet peeve.
    07-28-20 02:48 PM
    I still don't understand the point you're trying to make. Yes, sometimes we are still able to buy one or two year old products new. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, you mean "couldn't care less". If you COULD care less, then the statement makes no sense. Sorry, pet peeve.
    No problem. Fixed your pet peeve.

At least there is acknowledgement that persons can and do buy new outside of the year released products each and everyday and if said product has never been used it's a NEW product to them. An example that may help was my daughter's best friend (14 yo) not caring or knowing that her new iPhone 7 her parents bought her was released 4 years prior. She was simply elated about her new iPhone (never been used and sold through T-Mobile over the holidays) and that was all that mattered. (And I sure as hell wasn't going to say "Well it is a new device Merie but it's not the "new" iPhone.") The semantics of making that comment would have been correct but probably would have made her feel somewhat bummed about her "new" but not year released new iPhone.
    07-28-20 03:18 PM

At least there is acknowledgement that persons can and do buy new outside of the year released products each and everyday and if said product has never been used it's a NEW product to them. An example that may help was my daughter's best friend (14 yo) not caring or knowing that her new iPhone 7 her parents bought her was released 4 years prior. She was simply elated about her new iPhone (never been used and sold through T-Mobile over the holidays) and that was all that mattered. (And I sure as hell wasn't going to say "Well it is a new device Merie but it's not the "new" iPhone.") The semantics of making that comment would have been correct but probably would have made her feel somewhat bummed about her "new" but not year released new iPhone.
    Agree 100%. But when one starts talking about expected support, that gets thrown out the window.
    3800 likes this.
    07-28-20 03:23 PM

no all that is well and fine. its totally different when someone buys a 5 year old BB10 device then complains stuff doesn't work or their carrier isn't gonna support it. you bought a 5 year old device. what did you expect
    07-28-20 03:24 PM
    That for most single users, couples and or families of 4 or less T-Mobile is far more affordable? ������������

That’s what I said .....
    07-28-20 03:45 PM
    An example that may help was my daughter's best friend (14 yo) not caring or knowing that her new iPhone 7 her parents bought her was released 4 years prior. She was simply elated about her new iPhone (never been used and sold through T-Mobile over the holidays) and that was all that mattered. (And I sure as hell wasn't going to say "Well it is a new device Merie but it's not the "new" iPhone.") The semantics of making that comment would have been correct but probably would have made her feel somewhat bummed about her "new" but not year released new iPhone.
    She's barely a teenager and didn't spend a dime of her own money - of course she doesn't care. But if they'd bought her a 6S, and it stopped working next year (as they all will), she would certainly care.

Her parents also got a steep discount on that 4 year old phone, and part of the reason for the discount is the limited support remaining for that model.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-29-20 04:35 PM
    She's barely a teenager and didn't spend a dime of her own money - of course she doesn't care. But if they'd bought her a 6S, and it stopped working next year (as they all will), she would certainly care.

Her parents also got a steep discount on that 4 year old phone, and part of the reason for the discount is the limited support remaining for that model.
    Yeah iPhone is a bad example... that iPhone 7 is getting iOS 14 and at least another year of security patches that come with iOS 14.

There is no clear end yet for the iPhone 7.... it might get iOS 15 and another year of patches. My wife has one and I'm not sure when she'll upgrade it. She isn't too thrilled with my XR and the lack of a button. He didn't state what holidays, but if that was six months ago... she might use it for 2-1/2 years with not issue from being out of the update cycle. Once the iPhone SE hit the market... that's what her parent should have bought.

You change that example to an 4 year old Android phone.... and it's a very different outcome.
    Troy Tiscareno and 3800 like this.
    07-30-20 10:11 AM
    You change that example to an 4 year old Android phone.... and it's a very different outcome.
    Absolutely. Apple's main advantage in my eyes is their vertical integration that allows them to reduce model variations and thus support older devices for as long as they do. It is definitely a different situation with Android.
    07-30-20 10:43 AM
171 ... 23456 ...