AT&T will have to allow future unlocked phones on their network if they are going to continue the BYOD option - which they'll be hard pressed to kill.

But, I'm pretty sure it'll be new phones going forward, so they can better control the network.
    07-22-20 11:11 AM
    Thanks for that info...

There's a lot of information out there about the involvement with the 5G networks by the Chinese government. That's what I'm talking about.

It sounds you're saying AT&T is dumping my phone because I didn't buy it there. That's typical. Any idea what my drop dead date is? Can I take it to another carrier?

Thanks again for the info.
    I received the same notice and this is the only information I found on a "definitive" date: One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network.
    07-22-20 11:53 AM
    Key here is BY 2022. It is happening everyday everywhere so tomorrow could be the last day for bb10 or older BB android phones to work
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-20 11:59 AM
    I received a similar email and I have a Key2. To say that I am frustrated is an understatement. My email didn't say when this was effective.
    February 2022. Go to the website linked to the email and you will see the date.
    3800 likes this.
    07-22-20 12:50 PM
    Opinion from another site: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...-work-anymore/
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-22-20 at 02:56 PM.
    07-22-20 02:35 PM
    Personally, I'd look for another service provider.
    bh7171 likes this.
    07-22-20 05:55 PM
    Personally, I'd look for another service provider.

All three are doing so in a similar manner and time frame.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-20 07:00 PM
    Question from Canada and therefore not completely relevant: My phone has a "4G" icon in the top-right corner, so I'm assuming it uses 4G voice. I know it does not use VoLTE because my carrier says it can't. Won't the Key2 keep working on ATT's traditional 4G network even if it can't use VoLTE?
    07-22-20 11:01 PM
    I just found this article on Android Central and it is very helpful. Frankly I am surprised we haven't seen a similar article on CrackBerry.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/att-v...640.1595430001
    07-22-20 11:07 PM
    I just found this article on Android Central and it is very helpful. Frankly I am surprised we haven't seen a similar article on CrackBerry.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/att-v...640.1595430001
    Helpful how? We had the answer here right away.
    07-22-20 11:13 PM
    No offense meant Conite. You are always helpful and yes the earlier comments here did explain what was going on. But the article did give some additional background as well as pointers on checking for support of HD Voice. Just seems to me like this should have been a CrackBerry article as well since I assume it affects a lot of BlackBerry users on AT&T.
    07-22-20 11:23 PM
    No offense meant Conite. You are always helpful and yes the earlier comments here did explain what was going on. But the article did give some additional background as well as pointers on checking for support of HD Voice. Just seems to me like this should have been a CrackBerry article as well since I assume it affects a lot of BlackBerry users on AT&T.
    If you have any ideas or want to write up an article and submit it.... PM Bla1ze and see if he is interested.

But Future USA, Inc is a business - money goes into products that turn a profit.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-23-20 07:53 AM
    European here.
    I had originally the question whether this VoLTE mess also applies to (not ATT sold/branded) Apple phones or only to Android phones.
    But today Android Police linked a carrier PDF showing the whitelisted phones for AT&T VoLTE, and it clearly says all iPhones from 6 onwards are whitelisted along with a number of Androids.
    Of course I don't know whether it actually means that they work on ATT VoLTE network.
    So it might be that they want to shut out nonmainstream (Android) phones they do not sell / never sold / would be a hassle to certify / would be an additional cost to certify, rather than shutting out BYOD in general.
    Well, maybe I am thinking based on the European telecoms market reality where no carrier can effectively shut out BYOD as they would deprive themselves of at least 1/3 of the potential clientele...
    howarmat and shakingthrough like this.
    07-23-20 08:12 AM
    If you have any ideas or want to write up an article and submit it.... PM Bla1ze and see if he is interested.

But Future USA, Inc is a business - money goes into products that turn a profit.
    Maybe he/she meant that as sometimes articles are shared throughout the Mobile Nations / Future websites, the same article might have been published also on Crackberry, with practically zero additions.
    bh7171 likes this.
    07-23-20 08:16 AM
    Maybe he/she meant that as sometimes articles are shared throughout the Mobile Nations / Future websites, the same article might have been published also on Crackberry, with practically zero additions.
    Yes exactly. Especially when the vast majority of the articles on CrackBerry lately are promotional and not really informational.
    07-23-20 09:13 AM
    Will ATT MVNOs suffer the same consequence?
    07-23-20 09:32 AM
    I agree.

https://crackberry.com/att-volte-calling-network-sunset
    shakingthrough likes this.
    07-23-20 10:37 AM
    European here.
    I had originally the question whether this VoLTE mess also applies to (not ATT sold/branded) Apple phones or only to Android phones.
    But today Android Police linked a carrier PDF showing the whitelisted phones for AT&T VoLTE, and it clearly says all iPhones from 6 onwards are whitelisted along with a number of Androids.
    Of course I don't know whether it actually means that they work on ATT VoLTE network.
    So it might be that they want to shut out nonmainstream (Android) phones they do not sell / never sold / would be a hassle to certify / would be an additional cost to certify, rather than shutting out BYOD in general.
    Well, maybe I am thinking based on the European telecoms market reality where no carrier can effectively shut out BYOD as they would deprive themselves of at least 1/3 of the potential clientele...
    AT&T simply makes it hard to bring unlocked phones to their network in general. Well, not really hard, just frustrating if you want to use all the capabilities of the phone.

They reserve their special "advanced calling services" to just their carrier-branded phones bought from them. Those include Wi-Fi Calling and HD Voice (VoLTE). The exception being the iPhone.

What's interesting about that list of phones supported after the 3G shutdown is that there are a lot of phones there that were never carried by AT&T. Some may be from one of their many MVNOs they work with.

Also, starting with the Galaxy S9 line, they are including the unlocked models of Samsung's phones. Someone mentioned in another thread about his son's S8 being one that AT&T told him won't work. It must be an unlocked model because only AT&T's S8 is listed as supported. Why the line is drawn at the unlocked S8 and older is unknown.
    shakingthrough and pdr733 like this.
    07-23-20 10:42 AM
    AT&T considers VoLTE part of enhanced calling features. It does support VoLTE on AT&T KEYone and sometimes on BE KEYone if you switch the SIM card from another VoLTE supporting device.
    FWIW, I can confirm that my K1 BE does support VoLTE. Not only did I move my SIM card from an AT&T device (in this case an AT&T K10 but I also had to call to register the BE's IMEI number with AT&T in order to enable VoLTE. That may be obvious to most, but it's worth saying in case not everyone is aware of this extra step.

Even though my BE device supports VoLTE, that did not prevent me from receiving the notice, which means that the AT&T system must still flag it as a non-AT&T device. This is where it helped to find an old CB thread making reference to the *#*#46368676#*#* dial code for the testing menu. I was able to use the Phone info screen to compare the phone network stats between my BE and another AT&T K1. The info for the BE clearly shows that the "VoLTE provisioned" feature is turned on.

This makes me think that, in spite of the message, I will still be good when February 2022 rolls around... provided I am still using my BE. 18 months is a long way off.
    shakingthrough likes this.
    07-23-20 12:06 PM
    FWIW, I can confirm that my K1 BE does support VoLTE. Not only did I move my SIM card from an AT&T device (in this case an AT&T K10 but I also had to call to register the BE's IMEI number with AT&T in order to enable VoLTE. That may be obvious to most, but it's worth saying in case not everyone is aware of this extra step.

Even though my BE device supports VoLTE, that did not prevent me from receiving the notice, which means that the AT&T system must still flag it as a non-AT&T device. This is where it helped to find an old CB thread making reference to the *#*#46368676#*#* dial code for the testing menu. I was able to use the Phone info screen to compare the phone network stats between my BE and another AT&T K1. The info for the BE clearly shows that the "VoLTE provisioned" feature is turned on.

This makes me think that, in spite of the message, I will still be good when February 2022 rolls around... provided I am still using my BE. 18 months is a long way off.
    I’m pretty sure that an email notice went out back in February 2020 also.

In my area we lost some 3G towers switched over to 5Ge (4G LTE Enhanced Backhaul) around then. AT&T is my primary carrier but I’ve noticed similar behavior on my son's iPhone 7 on VZW and my BE KEYone when I swapped out from AT&T SIM for T-Mobile last month. I don’t notice yet with the Motion but it has Band 66 for now. All three carriers are doing this.

One thing I’ve noticed is that neither my AT&T or BE KEYone recognizes that enhanced 5Ge (4GLTE) whereas iPhone XR and LG V30 do show the icon now in many areas.

I’m giving 6-12 months of FULL compatibility left on AT&T but less on T-Mobile or VZW based on SIM testing.
    07-23-20 12:29 PM
    Is it only me who found this situation to be awkward? A telecom company forces their clients to use specific phones. I guess they would be sued if it happened somewhere in Europe. Ask MSFT what fine did they get on that Windows / IE case.
    What about Americans? Do you, guys, feel it alright? Is it legal in your opinion?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Alexey Gurevski; 07-23-20 at 02:10 PM.
    07-23-20 01:53 PM
    Is it only me who found this situation to be awkward? A telecom company forces their clients to use specific phones. I guess they would be sued if it happened somewhere in Europe. Ask MSFT what fine did they get on that Windows / IE case.
    What about Americans? Do you, guys, feel it alright? Is it legal in your opinion?

Posted via CB10
    Yes its makes sense here in the states as most people still by on contract from their provider. EU does things much different. The good unlocked phones for the most part in the states do all work and can be added to most all providers. Its totally legal
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-23-20 02:17 PM
    Yes its makes sense here in the states as most people still by on contract from their provider. EU does things much different. The good unlocked phones for the most part in the states do all work and can be added to most all providers. Its totally legal
    And what about T-Mobile US? Do they follow the same principles as other companies on the US market like ATT? Just wondering, considering their German roots

Posted via CB10
    07-23-20 02:32 PM
    And what about T-Mobile US? Do they follow the same principles as other companies on the US market like ATT? Just wondering, considering their German roots

Posted via CB10
    T-Mobile has always been more BYOD friendly and providing all the advanced services those phones are capable of without question.

Wi-Fi calling is one of those services that AT&T reserves for AT&T branded phones, but T-Mobile will allow it on any device. Mostly because for the longest time, T-Mobile had the worst coverage in the US (still does, but better as time goes), so many customers relied on Wi-Fi calling to make up for the lacking coverage - and T-Mobile knows that.
    Laura Knotek and bh7171 like this.
    07-23-20 02:55 PM
    Thank you Bla1ze!
    Bla1ze likes this.
    07-23-20 02:58 PM
171 1234 ...