Absolutely. Apple's main advantage in my eyes is their vertical integration that allows them to reduce model variations and thus support older devices for as long as they do. It is definitely a different situation with Android.
    Yeah the move to put the same chip in the SE as this years flagship was kinda surprising.... but in another way it makes a lot of sense.

100% Google has to take the lead with Android, but they'd have to pressure chip makers to offer longer support as well... but it's an open market, with competition from chip vendors, and hardware manufactures. It's tough to add something that clearly is going to add to the end products cost.

At one time I bought a new PC every year.. then ever two or three years. Now you can go five or six years (or longer) without a real need to upgrade - work we are on seven years, still noting needing newer hardware. I bet if you buy a 5G phone next year.... won't be a hardware reason to upgrade for at least five years. Camera's aren't getting that much better. While processor speeds hasn't peaked... it's tough to find something that will slow down a current flagship chipset. Unless you are a hardcore gamer. The weak spot for Android is the software....
    07-30-20 11:10 AM
    Yeah the move to put the same chip in the SE as this years flagship was kinda surprising.... but in another way it makes a lot of sense.

100% Google has to take the lead with Android, but they'd have to pressure chip makers to offer longer support as well... but it's an open market, with competition from chip vendors, and hardware manufactures. It's tough to add something that clearly is going to add to the end products cost.

At one time I bought a new PC every year.. then ever two or three years. Now you can go five or six years (or longer) without a real need to upgrade - work we are on seven years, still noting needing newer hardware. I bet if you buy a 5G phone next year.... won't be a hardware reason to upgrade for at least five years. Camera's aren't getting that much better. While processor speeds hasn't peaked... it's tough to find something that will slow down a current flagship chipset. Unless you are a hardcore gamer. The weak spot for Android is the software....
    Both Troy and yourself missed the point and addressed each response as tech aficionados rather than viewing as a lay person. A "new" device unused is a new device to the average person irrespective. In the case of my daughter's BF her parents bought the 7 over the holidays because it was affordable and met the needs for their daughter. It does everything any other iPhone does albeit not as fast as the latest.

The comment "the weak spot for Android is software" is also from a similar perspective. Especially in regards to the global market share of the two OS's. Do I prefer iOS's official support? Of course.... BUT I don't prefer iOS like the majority. So many here act as if older Android devices stop working or meeting the normal lay persons needs and that's simply false. So few people update every year or even two any longer. How many Android devices are still on 6,7,8 and 9? Did they stop functioning or meeting persons needs or do their apps still update via Play Store, send texts, make calls, take pictures, etc....
    07-31-20 10:10 PM
    Both Troy and yourself missed the point and addressed each response as tech aficionados rather than viewing as a lay person. A "new" device unused is a new device to the average person irrespective. In the case of my daughter's BF her parents bought the 7 over the holidays because it was affordable and met the needs for their daughter. It does everything any other iPhone does albeit not as fast as the latest.

The comment "the weak spot for Android is software" is also from a similar perspective. Especially in regards to the global market share of the two OS's. Do I prefer iOS's official support? Of course.... BUT I don't prefer iOS like the majority. So many here act as if older Android devices stop working or meeting the normal lay persons needs and that's simply false. So few people update every year or even two any longer. How many Android devices are still on 6,7,8 and 9? Did they stop functioning or meeting persons needs or do their apps still update via Play Store, send texts, make calls, take pictures, etc....
    But what is YOUR actual point, beyond the fact that some people buy previous year's devices new?
    07-31-20 10:33 PM
    Both Troy and yourself missed the point and addressed each response as tech aficionados rather than viewing as a lay person. A "new" device unused is a new device to the average person irrespective. In the case of my daughter's BF her parents bought the 7 over the holidays because it was affordable and met the needs for their daughter.
    And you don't think they have any understanding of the fact that the reason it was affordable is because it was an old model? I promise you, they're aware that it's an old model. And if it stopped working a year from now (it won't, but if it did), they'd know darn well that they took a risk by buying an older tech product. All but the least techie people grasp this much.
    3800 likes this.
    08-01-20 12:49 AM
    I just got a replacement Key2 for my broken Key2. I swapped all my info to the new phone, a time consuming process, and was finally ready to swap SIM cards last night. When I turned on the new phone, it would not connect to the network. ATT had suspended my line. When I called it from another phone, I didn't even get my voicemail, just a message saying the number was not accepting calls. I went to the ATT store this morning. Helpful guy got me back online but warned me that I have until Feb 2022. He said the Key2 has 4G data but not 4G voice. He said it actually runs on 3G voice and they will disable it next Feb.
    05-03-21 12:29 PM
    I just got a replacement Key2 for my broken Key2. I swapped all my info to the new phone, a time consuming process, and was finally ready to swap SIM cards last night. When I turned on the new phone, it would not connect to the network. ATT had suspended my line. When I called it from another phone, I didn't even get my voicemail, just a message saying the number was not accepting calls. I went to the ATT store this morning. Helpful guy got me back online but warned me that I have until Feb 2022. He said the Key2 has 4G data but not 4G voice. He said it actually runs on 3G voice and they will disable it next Feb.
    That’s not entirely correct. AT&T is blocking your 4G VoLTE access since the Key2 isn’t AT&T sold and supported. If you have TMO coverage in your area, you should have VoLTE supported on a TMO account.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-03-21 02:09 PM
    I have a Passport. I put an AT%T sim from 2 different lines in and both lines were suspended. The suspension was removed but the AT&T agent and he told me that for now I could continue using my Passport as long as I don’t switch SIM cards. Since the Passport is no longer supported, AT&T will automatically suspend the phone line when you put in your SIM card. For some reason this never happened with my other Blackberry phones.
    05-03-21 08:21 PM
    I have a Passport. I put an AT%T sim from 2 different lines in and both lines were suspended. The suspension was removed but the AT&T agent and he told me that for now I could continue using my Passport as long as I don’t switch SIM cards. Since the Passport is no longer supported, AT&T will automatically suspend the phone line when you put in your SIM card. For some reason this never happened with my other Blackberry phones.
    It would happen now if you'd put your SIM in them - unless they're one of the few models that AT&T does support.
    05-03-21 08:43 PM
    Just get a pay as you go att sim or go to T-mobile.
    05-04-21 04:07 AM
    The exception is the AT&T Passport but it will only be supported until 3G shutdown according to AT&T explanations through customer support.
    05-04-21 06:27 AM
    I currently have a Z30, Z10, Leap, and a ATT Passport phone. I realize I won't be able to use any of these phones next year. At this time the only phone that causes a line suspension is my ATT Passport. If I remove the sim card from my Passport and put in in an iPhone, use the iPhone then put the sim back into my Passport the line will be suspended again. I know I can get a different phone, but I like my Passport and want to use it until I can't.
    05-04-21 12:45 PM
    I currently have a Z30, Z10, Leap, and a ATT Passport phone. I realize I won't be able to use any of these phones next year. At this time the only phone that causes a line suspension is my ATT Passport. If I remove the sim card from my Passport and put in in an iPhone, use the iPhone then put the sim back into my Passport the line will be suspended again. I know I can get a different phone, but I like my Passport and want to use it until I can't.
    That’s weird about the AT&T Passport since it’s technically AT&T sold and supported device.
    05-04-21 12:58 PM
    Yes, mine was shut off today, she said thier getting rid of any 3G devices and some 4G devices will be taken out also. I know the Keyone and Priv will work until 2021. They give me a list and said wait until August for a New BlackBerry, i said yeah i already know about that but that isnt doing me any good as of now.
    05-05-21 01:24 AM
    I actually now see that it says that the Key1 and the Priv are compatible on their network from a document posted March 20, 2020. I wonder if ATT even knows that there is a Key2.
    Yup amd this is it..
    05-05-21 01:25 AM
    Yup amd this is it.. [IMG=360x732]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210505/2e9ddb91bb75f9b1ef2bb1458fb2e679.jpg[/url]
    That specifically refers to the AT&T locked variant, PRD-63116-036.
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    05-05-21 05:12 AM
    Yes, mine was shut off today, she said thier getting rid of any 3G devices and some 4G devices will be taken out also. I know the Keyone and Priv will work until 2021. They give me a list and said wait until August for a New BlackBerry, i said yeah i already know about that but that isnt doing me any good as of now.
    Were you swapping SIMS around or was your BB10 phone on an active line just disconnected out of the blue?

Most of what I've see, has been when someone moved a SIM to another phone and then back to their BB10 device... the reactivation process is what flags the line.

But yeah at some point they'll phase out these devices... I don't think they'll wait to flip a switch and have all these users calling at once.
    05-05-21 07:43 AM
    Were you swapping SIMS around or was your BB10 phone on an active line just disconnected out of the blue?

Most of what I've see, has been when someone moved a SIM to another phone and then back to their BB10 device... the reactivation process is what flags the line.

But yeah at some point they'll phase out these devices... I don't think they'll wait to flip a switch and have all these users calling at once.
    I doubt a dozen (12) people all calling at once would crash the AT&T system.
    to boldly go likes this.
    05-05-21 08:37 AM
    I doubt a dozen (12) people all calling at once would crash the AT&T system.
    Well I don't mean just BB10 phones.... but all the users still on a 3G only devices.
    Old flip phones - still see them in the hands of some older ones.
    Security Systems
    Medical Devices - CPAP, Heart monitors....
    Cars
    And other smartphones from those early LTE days or before.

With the ending of 2G they didn't turn off everything all at once...
    05-05-21 08:47 AM
    Yup amd this is it.. [IMG=360x732]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210505/2e9ddb91bb75f9b1ef2bb1458fb2e679.jpg[/url]
    Yea, they told me on thier branded blackberrys will work.
    05-05-21 09:08 AM

No, i swamped my swim from my Note10 to my KEY2 and thats whem the shut my Data off, when i called to get it fixed and when she asked for the iemi number they said its not supported. So im using my T-mobile sim until i can get time to call them back.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-05-21 09:10 AM
    If you have the coverage, just go to T-Mo.
    bh7171 likes this.
    05-05-21 09:56 AM
    If you have the coverage, just go to T-Mo.
    I believe he uses both like I do. Heck, I even have one VZW SIM for the rare case. The LTE rollout for all carriers and the Sprint/TMO merger has closed the gap though.
    05-05-21 11:47 AM
    Well I don't mean just BB10 phones.... but all the users still on a 3G only devices.
    Old flip phones - still see them in the hands of some older ones.
    Security Systems
    Medical Devices - CPAP, Heart monitors....
    Cars
    And other smartphones from those early LTE days or before.

With the ending of 2G they didn't turn off everything all at once...
    LMAO - I knew that but still couldn’t resist……
    05-05-21 11:52 AM
    My email from AT&T came today and said my “3G phone” won’t work when they shut the network down. After I switched my SIM from my AT&T branded Passport to my Key2, my phone displays in my account as an unknown device, they have never recognized it so they think I have a random 3G. But I do have until 2022 to get a new phone? I prefer to stay with BB so I guess I need to read up on what’s coming.
    05-13-21 10:22 PM
    My email from AT&T came today and said my “3G phone” won’t work when they shut the network down. After I switched my SIM from my AT&T branded Passport to my Key2, my phone displays in my account as an unknown device, they have never recognized it so they think I have a random 3G. But I do have until 2022 to get a new phone? I prefer to stay with BB so I guess I need to read up on what’s coming.
    Onward Mobility is suppose to release a BlackBerry branded phone later this year....

But no word on what it will be outside of a PKB, that is being designed by FIH (not BlackBerry) and will have some 3rd Party security software (not BlackBerry). So it will be a BlackBerry in sticker only. But there are rumors that AT&T will actually carry it for around $900...

Now if you need a PKB... it and the Chinese made Unihertz Pocket Titan are about the only options...

Passport is going to be history... KEY2 could stay active if AT&T will change their views on BYOD.
    rooberry99 likes this.
    05-14-21 07:15 AM
171 ... 34567