I just received an email from AT&T saying that they are upgrading their service, and when that upgrade is complete, my Blackberry Key2LE will no longer be compatible. Here is the relevant portion of the information they sent me...

"To bring you faster speeds and new features, we have to evolve America’s best 1 and also fastest 2 network. One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network."

Can anybody here confirm this? If this is true, it will be the second time in about 5 years that AT&T has killed the service on my Blackberry. They did the same thing to my Curve about 5 years ago.

What are my options? I don't need a fancy phone. I don't use a lot of apps, and I don't use my phone for watching videos or any of that silly stuff. I just can't type if I don't have the physical keyboard. This Key2LE has suited me just fine.

Thanks.

ETA: I assume the switch is to 5G. I've seen plenty of stuff out there indicating that 5G should be resisted.
    07-21-20 04:50 PM
    your key2 will work without 3G
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-21-20 04:51 PM
    your key2 will work without 3G
    My phone is the Key2LE. Does your statement apply to that, too? I apologize for being so dense, but I really don't get into phone specs and such. The cell phone is an afterthought in my life, an aggravating necessity.
    stephenabm likes this.
    07-21-20 04:54 PM
    The problem is that your Key2 was not provided by AT&T, so they don't "officially" support HD Voice on it. HD Voice is AT&T's Voice over LTE (VoLTE).

They will support the Key1 they sold.

After 2022, devices have to support AT&T's 4G LTE AND HD Voice. Or, they won't activate it. Just having LTE won't do.

Edit to add... it has nothing to do with 5G, except maybe refarming some of those 3G bands to 5G bands.

And I don't know what you mean by "should be resisted". AT&T is turning on 5G regardless of what we do. You either have a phone that can pick it up, or not.
    Last edited by joeldf; 07-21-20 at 06:03 PM.
    07-21-20 05:12 PM
    Thanks for that info...

There's a lot of information out there about the involvement with the 5G networks by the Chinese government. That's what I'm talking about.

It sounds you're saying AT&T is dumping my phone because I didn't buy it there. That's typical. Any idea what my drop dead date is? Can I take it to another carrier?

Thanks again for the info.
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    07-21-20 08:01 PM
    I received a similar email and I have a Key2. To say that I am frustrated is an understatement. My email didn't say when this was effective.
    07-21-20 08:22 PM
    AT&T actually wants you to buy from them, so they offer "advanced calling services" on their phones that they won't offer on non-carrier phones. Even if they are capable of the service. Unless it's any current iPhone or a few Pixels before AT&T began carrying the Pixel - those would always get HD Voice, branded/sold by AT&T or not.

Some newer Samsungs will get HD Voice whether branded or unlocked soon, if not already. But these are phones from just the past year forward.

As for the 5G equipment. AT&T does not even use Huawei equipment in the US. They do in Mexico, but that doesn't affect us here.

The only other carrier you might bring your phone to would be T-Mobile. I think they will activate HD Voice, along with Wi-Fi calling, for any phone that is capable of it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-20 08:35 PM
    I actually now see that it says that the Key1 and the Priv are compatible on their network from a document posted March 20, 2020. I wonder if ATT even knows that there is a Key2.
    07-21-20 08:40 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but upon clicking into the email - it mentioned 2022.
    07-21-20 08:50 PM
    I actually now see that it says that the Key1 and the Priv are compatible on their network from a document posted March 20, 2020. I wonder if ATT even knows that there is a Key2.
    These two devices had specific variants sold by AT&T.

The KEY² did not.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-20 08:54 PM
    Oh that's right. Makes sense now.
    07-21-20 08:55 PM
    Just chatted with an AT&T representative and she said it's simply because the Key2 is not a 5G phone and AT&T will only be a 5G network down the road. So it's not just Blackberries, but any smartphone that isn't compatible with 5G. She couldn't tell me a date when they will no longer have 3G/4G networks, she just said if you notice you're no longer receiving calls or texts then that's when you'll need to get a new phone. Duh. lol

Anyways, if anyone else chats with AT&T and gets a different explanation please share.

EDIT: I don't believe what AT&T told me, just wanted to relay the BS they're spewing that's all
    Last edited by ashlani01; 07-22-20 at 10:21 AM.
    stephenabm likes this.
    07-21-20 09:00 PM
    I found that March 20, 2020 document too. I have a KeyOne. AT&T sent me an email this evening, saying that my phone will no longer be compatible as of February 2022. Then when I went to the AT&T website for more information, it says, "Talk and data services won’t work for wireless phones and devices that don’t support at least 4G LTE and HD Voice. Find out if your phone will still work on our network." So I clicked their link and it took me to a list of "Phones that work on our network." That list includes the KeyOne and the Priv. That's a good question; why aren't Key2 and Key2 LE listed there also? And why is AT&T telling me that my phone won't work, and yet also telling me that it will work? Does this make any sense?
    07-21-20 09:07 PM
    3G is slowly going the way of the dodo bird, that bandwidth will be applied to LTE and 5G bands. T'ain't just AT&T, everyone will be moving this direction, eventually. You didn't think VoLTE came to exist by accident, I'd hope?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-20 09:15 PM
    Just chatted with an AT&T representative and she said it's simply because the Key2 is not a 5G phone and AT&T will only be a 5G network down the road. So it's not just Blackberries, but any smartphone that isn't compatible with 5G. She couldn't tell me a date when they will no longer have 3G/4G networks, she just said if you notice you're no longer receiving calls or texts then that's when you'll need to get a new phone. Duh. lol

Anyways, if anyone else chats with AT&T and gets a different explanation please share.
    That answer is not correct and you shouldn’t be surprised.

Here’s the rundown to add to some others.

3G is being refarmed and only 4G LTE with VoLTE and 5G will be supported by 2022 although you could find that I some areas sooner.

AT&T considers VoLTE part of enhanced calling features. It does support VoLTE on AT&T KEYone and sometimes on BE KEYone if you switch the SIM card from another VoLTE supporting device.

The Key2 and Key2 LE might also support VoLTE if SIM is switched from VoLTE supported device but again not officially AT&T supported and CSRs aren’t really sure. The automated provisioning system and process will decide that. Sending you the letter protects the carrier and encourages you to buy a guaranteed support carrier device. IT MAY NOT BE NECESSARY but nobody is certain until then.

Don’t panic and just have a plan B as we get closer....
    07-21-20 09:50 PM
    I received a similar email and I have a Key2. To say that I am frustrated is an understatement. My email didn't say when this was effective.
    I would highly recommend dumping AT&T and switching to T-Mobile. I did it in 2015 after 15 years with AT&T and could not be happier. We have saved so much money and all features work on my unlocked devices.

My wife and me just received class action $$ from the time AT&T was caught throttling and limiting our truly unlimited but really 5GB plan on their eyes.

You will not regret the switch.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-22-20 01:31 AM
    The title of the thread should switch from "BlackBerrys" to "unlocked" phones.
    3800 and ashlani01 like this.
    07-22-20 01:35 AM
    I would highly recommend dumping AT&T and switching to T-Mobile. I did it in 2015 after 15 years with AT&T and could not be happier. We have saved so much money and all features work on my unlocked devices.

My wife and me just received class action $$ from the time AT&T was caught throttling and limiting our truly unlimited but really 5GB plan on their eyes.

You will not regret the switch.
    Unless they live in one of the many areas where T-Mobile doesn't have enough towers to offer full coverage....

Whatever happened to Net Neutrality?
    07-22-20 07:54 AM
    I have a Key2 and am planning to switch from AT+T to Consumer Cellular very soon. Can I assume that because Consumer Cellular uses the AT+T towers that there will be the same issue in 2022?
    07-22-20 08:35 AM
    wifi calling and VOLTE works for me on Verizon with my unprovisioned Titan so hopping over with an LE may work too
    07-22-20 08:38 AM

That's not what this is about. 4G will be around for a long time still.

This is about VoLTE, which AT&T currently only offers to their own devices.

What may happen is that they get pressured to allow unlocked devices to use the service as well. Depends on how much stink this causes across the U S of A.
    ashlani01 likes this.
    07-22-20 08:39 AM

What may happen is that they get pressured to allow unlocked devices to use the service as well. Depends on how much stink this causes across the U S of A.
    Yeah right now it doesn't take much to get people riled up about something.... and companies seem quick to bend to any hint of disenfranchisement or limitation of rights.

If people have the "right" to not wear a mask.... they sure ought to have the right to use their BlackBerry. The idea that customers must be enslaved to the dictatorial carrier requirements of locked phones is nothing short of.....

07-22-20 08:54 AM

I suspect it will force a certification process which only a certain level of volume can support the costs for that process. The more things change the more they stay the same.
    07-22-20 09:15 AM
    Unless they live in one of the many areas where T-Mobile doesn't have enough towers to offer full coverage....

Whatever happened to Net Neutrality?
    Ajit Pai (by way of Donald Trump) happened.
    3800 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-22-20 09:53 AM
    Ajit Pai (by way of Donald Trump) happened.
    Exactly. Ajit decided net neutrality was "slowing innovation " and fought hard to undo it.
    Laura Knotek and bh7171 like this.
    07-22-20 10:44 AM
171 123 ...