Is it possible when TH was talking about an amazing phone last year, he was talking about the passport. I'm assuming he was part of the decision to make the passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:03 PM
    It's possible. Though depending upon when he said this, he may have been referring to the Z30.
    10-20-14 03:09 PM
    He said this before the z30 was launched. But I think he may be referring to the passport, expecting it to be launched before the decision was made to sell blackberry

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:14 PM
    J. Chen was clear, when he assumed BlackBerry, BlackBerry Passport was already in development.

So, passport is from Thorste time.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:17 PM
    While TH made a lot of mistakes maybe he did some good while he was the CEO. I must admit I was very critical of him.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:24 PM
    While TH made a lot of mistakes maybe he did some good while he was the CEO. I must admit I was very critical of him.

Posted via CB10
    ...in the same way the Captain of the Titanic also did some good things.

Z30 144GB
    MrGabriel and spikesolie like this.
    10-20-14 03:31 PM
    Well when he left blackberry was not buried. Bad analogy.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 03:40 PM
    It's possible. Though depending upon when he said this, he may have been referring to the Z30.
    Chen gave Heins credit for passport, so it might be

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 05:47 PM
    TH was an operations guy...he also had strategy but bad execution.

Chen is excellent in both aggressive strategy and it's implementation.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-20-14 08:57 PM
    OS and phone development took way too long when Heins was in charge. So I believe he was indeed talking about the Passport. Heins wasn't a bad CEO, just too slow. I'm glad Chen speeded things up a little.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 09:05 PM
    Considering all of bb10 was built while TH was in the office, he deserves a ton of credit. If it wasn't for him I might not be on the best touch screen device on market today.. Also Chen has given him the credit for the passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 09:19 PM
    Yeah, I believe, I don't actually know clearly, that Heins was at least involved on all devices until the Passport, and potentially other devices and prototypes that haven't seen the light of day.

I DO think that the classic was Chen's idea.

Via passport
    10-20-14 11:02 PM
    Don't forget QNX.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 11:05 PM
    Look, TH was given a sinking ship and he was told to rite it so that Perm could bring in the guy he needed to really add value (Chen). It was a s*** job but he did it. He cut 40% of the work force and made BlackBerry a lean company. He also brought BB10 to market, BES10 and began the expansion of BBM and QNX. He had great vision and operationally he was strong. Where he was weak was execution and marketing. He was also uncomfortable being BlackBerry's front man. Chen is obviously better connected and excels at execution. He also has the persona of a CEO.

What people don't understand about companies is that they have a life cycle to then and different CEOs are needed at different times. Jim and Mike were the true pioneers that struck it big. Big on ideas but weak at management. As the company grew, the need for better and a different type of management grew. Thus Chen is a logical choice as CEO. While Chen brings many great skills to the table, the weakness of people who focus on execution is they have a tendency to kill innovation and to search for safety. Tim Cook at Apple is an excellent example.

My hope is that Chen will help BlackBerry with execution but won't kill off the innovative core of the company.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 11:51 PM
    I think what Heins was missing is to give the company a real direction, a real dedication. This is where John Chen seems to be succeeding right now, and I like his conservative approach. Heins tended to be a little too optimistic in some points.
    10-21-14 01:12 AM
    I think what Heins was missing is to give the company a real direction, a real dedication. This is where John Chen seems to be succeeding right now, and I like his conservative approach. Heins tended to be a little too optimistic in some points.
    And there seems to be new blood coming in. It should bring more positive energy to the company. The employees that remain after all those layoffs went through hell.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 01:26 AM
    Would be very interesting to see what Chen is going to do. (I assume the Classic isn't Chen's either?)

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 01:30 AM
    TH was referring to the Z30 not the passport. Theres tons of R&D that goes on under a ceo, without them being intimately involved. Like Chen the best thing he did was not kill it.

He made some very poor decisions related to devices especially by abandoning the prosumer/enterprise market to focus on all-touch consumer devices. Not to mention his irrational and stubborn unwillingness to incorporate the toolbelt. Chen is the man responsible for the Classic, it was not being pursued by TH.

Some other crap he is responsible for: changing the company name from Research in Motion to BlackBerry, and holding back cross platform BBM for so long. I'm sure there are many more, but these stick out the most.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:21 AM
    Support

All our Affiliates are assured of our support from the outset. In addition to a dedicated contact and our helpful suite of marketing tools you'll also receive useful feedback on a regular basis, while our service desk are ready to answer any queries.
    Dedicated Affiliate contact

We'll guide you through the setup process and beyond, with regular data and feedback to help you drive even more traffic to us. You'll also get access to our range of management tools, including banners, landing pages, email templates and trading calculators.

Once you've signed up, you'll have a dedicated Affiliate Manager on hand to answer any queries and help you get the best from our tools. And our award-winning Customer Services team are also available for clients from 07:00 until 22:00 (UK time), Monday to Friday.
    10-21-14 03:26 AM
    I was thinking about this recently too.

He must feel good knowing that what was probably his final project has turned out to be one of the company's biggest hits to date.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:35 AM
    OS and phone development took way too long when Heins was in charge. So I believe he was indeed talking about the Passport. Heins wasn't a bad CEO, just too slow. I'm glad Chen speeded things up a little.

Posted via CB10
    Speed - not much considering BBM updates, Classic pushed to December rather than November.

Rather I would say 'focus'. I was visiting BlackBerry web site after a long time and know what it is completely enterprise driven. Nothing is there for a consumer. Focus shall fetch them success.
    kimoi likes this.
    10-21-14 03:48 AM
    I DO think that the classic was Chen's idea
    Why it should not be TH's plan B?
    10-21-14 03:50 AM
    Sorry to break it to you, but the Passport concept was in existence for around 7 years. It was first showed to Laziridis, and he wasn't sure about it. Then it was shown to Heins, and obviously he wasn't sure about it, or he would have green lighted it. Chen too, was apprehensive, but ultimately gave it the green light.

It was only due to the unrelenting and fierce devotion of the staff on the passport project who "didn't want to make another iPhone" that the Passport lived on.

Those guys were the unsung hero's here and thank THEM, not Laziridis, esp not Heins, nor Chen either.
    10-21-14 05:02 AM
    Yup. And as the formula is proven effective, the "team" is in the strongest position to innovative pkbs than ever. They're the original Research In Motion anyway.
    10-21-14 06:38 AM
    Sorry to break it to you, but the Passport concept was in existence for around 7 years. It was first showed to Laziridis, and he wasn't sure about it. Then it was shown to Heins, and obviously he wasn't sure about it, or he would have green lighted it. Chen too, was apprehensive, but ultimately gave it the green light.

It was only due to the unrelenting and fierce devotion of the staff on the passport project who "didn't want to make another iPhone" that the Passport lived on.

Those guys were the unsung hero's here and thank THEM, not Laziridis, esp not Heins, nor Chen either.
    But someone had to green light it. It was a bold move to make so let's not discredit the guy that put the company on the line here

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-21-14 08:01 AM
29 12