Thats an excellent point Mark. They were two different companies and everyone tried to stop their merger and todat they are a monopoly. So my money is with you.
    thepinkcurve likes this.
    08-31-11 06:10 PM
    So we all read the new today about the DOJ wanting to stop the AT&T and TMO merger.

My brother just got home and told me that he received a text telling him because he is a value AT&T customer that they are giving him 1,000 rollover minutes... funny but I think AT&T knows its done.
    08-31-11 08:36 PM
    I'm sorry but AT&T isn't done. I give the merger a 75% chance, probably higher. Yes this is a speed bump in the road, but it's far from a definite no.
    08-31-11 08:39 PM
    I'm sorry but AT&T isn't done. I give the merger a 75% chance, probably higher. Yes this is a speed bump in the road, but it's far from a definite no.
    While I do agree all the legal experts on FOX, CNN and BBC America give AT&T less than a 20% chance (not sure how you came up with your figure).

If it does go through it will take a lot longer then the one year they planed. Also the experts claimed that in the last 20 cases where the DOJ took action again a merger - that merger did not go through.

In addition here's a quote from CNET and WSJ: "What is somewhat unusual about what's happening with the AT&T/T-Mobile deal is the timing of the Justice Department's lawsuit. Typically, the Justice Department waits as long as possible to file such claims, according to a lawyer who has worked for the agency but didn't want to be named. The merger was only announced in March. For the Justice Department to come to a decision to file suit in August, essentially suggesting that the agency sees no way that concessions can be made to make this deal palatable, is unusual, he said."
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 08-31-11 at 09:47 PM.
    08-31-11 08:56 PM
    Was the text message verified to be coming from AT&T?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 10:51 PM
    Was the text message verified to be coming from AT&T?

Yes it was confirmed.
    08-31-11 10:53 PM
    AT&T will randomly give out free rollover minutes. Just part of the system. There's no such indication of being "done." I see AT&T customers with that text ALL THE TIME.

I'd say the merger still has significant chances of going through like CX noted... I'm sorry but I can't recall the last time I ever took an "expert" on television seriously... They just want reasons to run their mouth.
    08-31-11 11:15 PM
    Maybe it can go the other way and t-mobile get at$t, that way I can get devices sooner! J/k. This sounds like a debate for all to speculate on.
    09-01-11 12:02 AM
    AT&T will randomly give out free rollover minutes. Just part of the system. There's no such indication of being "done." I see AT&T customers with that text ALL THE TIME.

I'd say the merger still has significant chances of going through like CX noted... I'm sorry but I can't recall the last time I ever took an "expert" on television seriously... They just want reasons to run their mouth.
    Ok, how about the FCC Chairman then, he also has serve reservations about it. The only recourse the government has to stop a merger from going through is to file suit against it... The only reason the FCC is even involved is because the spectrum waves are regulated by them. I guess I we'll have to wait and see.

ps: two of the most populace states - New York and California are looking to file separate suits from the DOJ to also stop the merger. Therefore I wouldn't say that AT&T has a "significant" chance of getting it done.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 09-01-11 at 12:18 AM.
    09-01-11 12:14 AM
    when everyone is paid , the merger will push through.
    a few years back the Satellite radio giant SiriusXM used to be Sirius and XM.
    09-01-11 12:55 AM
    Thats an excellent point Mark. They were two different companies and everyone tried to stop their merger and todat they are a monopoly. So my money is with you.
    09-01-11 01:10 AM
    This and Ticketmaster buying out LiveNation. Both of these examples are the top company in each field buying out the only real competition they have. If those mergers/buyouts went through, then there's no reason that after everything is said and done, this one won't.

I personally don't see how with the leveling of LTE between AT&T and Verizon that they would stop this deal. Verizon is big enough and strong enough to keep customers coming over to it and to provide a strong enough force to keep competition alive, which is what the point of the DOJ is in this case. Not to mention Sprint, which while smaller than those two (especially after the merger), still offers a competitive service.
    09-01-11 02:28 AM
    No everyone seems to think that this is over. Reading the financial blogs seems to indicate that nobody believes that T will prevail in court and may just drop the matter. And people remember, they won't have to pay the 3 billion if this is blocked, only if they backout.
    09-01-11 07:42 AM
    No everyone seems to think that this is over. Reading the financial blogs seems to indicate that nobody believes that T will prevail in court and may just drop the matter. And people remember, they won't have to pay the 3 billion if this is blocked, only if they backout.
    No, the agreement provides for a $3 billion cancellation fee regardless. And don't forget there is another $4 billion or so worth of wireless spectrum concessions it would have to forfeit. Plus, anything can happen in litigation (including settlement, although that seems unlikely here). The lawyer firepower AT&T can bring to bear will undoubtedly be of the shock and awe variety -- even if it has to pay $7 million in attorney's fees, that's only one tenth of one percent of what they would have to pay should the deal not go through.
    09-01-11 09:25 AM
    2 companies controlling like 80% of the mobile industry is not exactly good. No it wouldn't be a monopoly but i am sure vzw and att. Would quickly start price fixing and we consumers would lose. It would be in their best interests to get the most out of the 45% market share than to compete for the extra few % points that may switch. The more I look at this the worse it looks to me.

09-01-11 10:02 AM
    My brother just got home and told me that he received a text telling him because he is a value AT&T customer that they are giving him 1,000 rollover minutes... funny but I think AT&T knows its done.
    They sent the same text to me the week that the Verizon iPhone was announced.
    09-01-11 06:34 PM

The problem with this line of thought is that there are thousands of radio stations that can compete with SiriusXM there are not thousands of phone companies that can compete with AT&T.
    09-01-11 07:11 PM
    Worse, AT&T stands to lose $6bn and spectrum to T-Mobile.
    09-05-11 06:03 AM
    Yeah at&suck will lose quite a not over this if it don't go through. I am fine with that though, lol!

I am with the Engine on this one. Basically a monopoly. Competition is good/needed really. If we don't have that prices sky rocket! I don't know why anyone would want this to go through. K can understand the business side for their greedy pockets, but not so much us the consumer.

09-05-11 04:41 PM
    2 companies controlling like 80% of the mobile industry is not exactly good. No it wouldn't be a monopoly but i am sure vzw and att. Would quickly start price fixing and we consumers would lose. It would be in their best interests to get the most out of the 45% market share than to compete for the extra few % points that may switch. The more I look at this the worse it looks to me.

This isn't how it's gonna go and I'm not sure that even with Tmobile they'll have "80%" market share. AT&T will have about 55% market share. I think if you see this go through people will leave TMobile for Verizon. If you wanna talk about price fixing, though, look at the oil companies. There are barely more of those. I don't think that there will be any compounding arguments that will be substantial enough to stop this. Verizon and Sprint have plenty of money and staying power and there are tons of small time carriers scattered throughout the country. I don't think this particular merger will really affect the consumer end in a negative way.

09-06-11 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD