But to just enforce it on people that already have the phone is bull crap.
    They are not doing this. As stated a few times in this thread, if you had the phone prior to the change, you are not required to add a data plan.
    10-14-09 12:58 AM
    I'm a college graduate with a bachelors in Business Administration. Quit being so Ignorant and speaking on people you have no idea about. I've paid data on my phone ever since i've had it. But doesn't mean im going to act like an insensitive **** towards the people that bought this cheaply price phone because it was affordable and now att has forced these people to buy their data plan months or years later. It isn't surprising att was pretty much giving these curves away for a while and lookie what we have here now, everyone that jumped on the cheap price of the curve now gets something thrown at them that im sure att had planned to begin with. Please keep your ignorance to yourself.
    I'm not ignorant. If $30 is a burden on someone they shouldn't be having a cell phone in the first place. They should save some money and learn a trade or go to college and get a job that pays more than 7.50/hour. I'm a student working and paying my own way through college, 0 help from my parents. I can still afford a BB with data. It's simply being lazy or bad with money and either case these people should get their act together. And no one WITH THE PHONE ALREADY has to buy this data plan. They can keep using their cheapo phone with no additional service if they already had it. You're the ignorant one who doesn't know what's going on.
    10-14-09 01:00 AM
    They are not doing this. As stated a few times in this thread, if you had the phone prior to the change, you are not required to add a data plan.
    then that is fine and dandy! I apologize I thought they were forcing all berry users to change to a data plan if they didn't have one. I'm glad they have some sensitivity to not do that to the users without the data. Fair game though if you don't want to be forced to buy a data plan don't buy a PDA.
    10-14-09 01:01 AM
    I'm not ignorant. If $30 is a burden on someone they shouldn't be having a cell phone in the first place. They should save some money and learn a trade or go to college and get a job that pays more than 7.50/hour. I'm a student working and paying my own way through college, 0 help from my parents. I can still afford a BB with data. It's simply being lazy or bad with money and either case these people should get their act together. And no one WITH THE PHONE ALREADY has to buy this data plan. They can keep using their cheapo phone with no additional service if they already had it. You're the ignorant one who doesn't know what's going on.
    says the guy who just typed out what is going on with people who can't or don't want to pay an extra 30 dollars a month when you have absolutely no idea about the people that don't want to pay the 30 dollars a month you sound like a young ignorant college kid that thinks he knows everything. You have no idea why someone wouldn't be able to make the extra 30 a month yet you're acting like you know. Who cares what you can afford, oh look at you, you can afford a data plan, lets all get in a line and give you a pat on the back and trophy to go with it. If only everyone in america was as well off as you are we wouldn't be in a recession. Please educate us on how not to get jobs that make 7.50/hr which by the way is another ignorant post by you as minimum wage is higher than that.
    10-14-09 01:07 AM
    I'm not going to address all the idiocy in your post, just two.

If you can't find a job that pays more than 7.50 an hour, you don't need a cell phone. It's a luxury. If you can't afford to pay for a data plan though you are doing something wrong, it's not hard to not only pay for college but also a full service phone with data plan. If you can't afford a data plan for a smart phone then don't buy a new one. No one's forcing anyone to pay for anything more for a device that they already have.

Two, federal minimum wage is 7.25
    U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Compliance Assistance-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Thanks for proving your ignorance.
    10-14-09 01:11 AM
    is there anything i said that was not true?
    Yes there is. They have not changed their data since the iPhone came out, they are only now enforcing it. Their TOS has indicated a data requirement on certain devices since the iPhone came out. That is how they are able to do it. They waited for all contracts from prior to the 2 years before the 6th to expire.

As for requiring existing customers to add it, they are not. If you have a smart phone and no data that was in place prior to the 6th then you are not required to add it. So...your arguement is flawed.
    10-14-09 01:12 AM
    No that is not true. That changed in June all smartphones going forward on Tmo require a dataplan. All 4 US Carriers now require a dataplan with a smartphone. It is just the way it is going to be going forward. My wife works for tmo and I know that the policy has definitely been changed.
    Boy Genius even talked about the change
    The first concerns smartphone users: We know that all you BGR fans out there obviously have data plans but there are plenty of people who enjoy the enhanced functionality of a smartphone who haven�t yet embraced mobile data services. Unfortunately, those people are in for a bit of a disappointment � some time in June T-Mobile will begin requiring that all smartphones (new activations / upgrades) have a data plan.
    This has been discussed in other threads. If you get a smartphone at full retail TODAY they do not require you to get a data plan. If you add a smartphone to your line they will not add the data plan. If you buy a smartphone at the CONTRACT subsidized rate then you will be require to get a data plan.
    10-14-09 01:16 AM
    I'm not going to address all the idiocy in your post, just two.

If you can't find a job that pays more than 7.50 an hour, you don't need a cell phone. It's a luxury. If you can't afford to pay for a data plan though you are doing something wrong, it's not hard to not only pay for college but also a full service phone with data plan. If you can't afford a data plan for a smart phone then don't buy a new one. No one's forcing anyone to pay for anything more for a device that they already have.

Two, federal minimum wage is 7.25
    U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Compliance Assistance-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Thanks for proving your ignorance.
    california minimum wage 8.00

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Minimum Wage Laws in the States - January 1, 2008

anything else?
    10-14-09 01:20 AM
    One state != all of them.
    Minimum wage in the US is not higher than 7.50. It is in California. It is not in well over 50% of the US. You were trying to call me ignorant by saying it's impossible to find a job that pays less than 7.50 since minimum wage is higher than that. But it's quite possible because over half the US has a minimum wage of 7.25.
    10-14-09 01:26 AM
    One state != all of them.
    Minimum wage in the US is not higher than 7.50. It is in California. It is not in well over 50% of the US. You were trying to call me ignorant by saying it's impossible to find a job that pays less than 7.50 since minimum wage is higher than that. But it's quite possible because over half the US has a minimum wage of 7.25.
    Not to throw a wrench into this discussion but you can make less than $7.25 an hour....if you are in a job that generates tips they can pay you less than minimum.

Also, it may not be because you can't afford to pay for data that you don't have it. There are many who simply don't use it, or use it so little tht Pay Per Use is the better option.

Overall, I think it's rediculous that people are complaining about this who are not even affected by it.
    10-14-09 01:42 AM
    If you got the smartphone at full retail, I could see why you're upset about the change, but if you got it at a 2 year contract price, ATT is subsidizing the phone and the data plan essentially helps pay for that plan.

Though ATT should probably let you finish out your contract before requiring that you get the data plan, if their terms of service change, can't you technically break your contract without the early termination fee?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 10:21 AM
    I don't understand why this is a problem, if you had an ATT smartphone and never had a data plan before their enforcement date then you are grandfathered in and don't have to add the data plan, if you add a data plan today or buy a new blackberry at the discounted proce (ie sign a contract) then you must add a data plan. They have the right to change their policy just as you have the right to change service providers.

Abridged Version:
    1. If you had a bb before the date of change and didn't have a data plan then you are grandfathered in.

2. If you buy a new smartphone on the discounted price and sign a contract you must add a data plan.

3. If you don't like it, then don't choose ATT.

10-14-09 10:34 AM
    If you got the smartphone at full retail, I could see why you're upset about the change, but if you got it at a 2 year contract price, ATT is subsidizing the phone and the data plan essentially helps pay for that plan.

Though ATT should probably let you finish out your contract before requiring that you get the data plan, if their terms of service change, can't you technically break your contract without the early termination fee?

You have to read the whole thread. It has been stated several times that they have NOT changed their TOS. Their TOS has required data on "certain" devices since the iPhone came out. They are simply now enforcing those terms now that those with contracts that started over 2 years ago have expired. They even took a mid step in requiring data on subsidized phones but the fact remains that there is no TOS change and therefore no grounds to terminate your contract.

Edit:

This is a copy of the TOS from BEFORE the 6th of Sept.:

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones and PDAs. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 10-14-09 at 06:15 PM.
    10-14-09 06:10 PM
    I can't believe this thread still continues. I am surprised the moderator did not shut it down. Speaking objectively in a debate is one thing. Throwing out subjective comments is another.

Bottom line is if you can fork out big bucks for a smartphone you will be using it for data. No matter how you shake it out and unlimited data plan is much better by the minute as I commented on this thread. So complaining about what is right or wrong with ATT is a mute point.

ATT and the rest of the carriers are not into giving away services. They have to make money to grow the business as the gentleman with the Bachelors Degree in Business mentioned. If they don't make money they can't grow to provide more or better service. However, I do think they try to be fair in some instances and not all.

Geez! If you don't like any of the carriers and their programs start your own carrier service and let me know how it turns out.

What a bunch of whinny babies Get over it.

For the complainers, you need to view this You Tube video it fits a lot of listers.

PS: Sorry if you all outside the US can't get it but try anyway. It is funny.

Mike
    10-14-09 06:58 PM
    Its not worth explaining things to people who are not willing to understand.
    10-14-09 07:12 PM
    I can't believe this thread still continues. I am surprised the moderator did not shut it down.
    Your video post is very fitting. I'd like to just say STOP IT to the people who think threads should be closed just because they don't find the content relavent. I'm sure there is a forum out there that when someone asks a question and it's answered the thread is closed but since they are not very popular, most people would find it hard to find one. Allthough I suggest if that's the type of forum that these types would prefer that they should find it. The video demonstrates very well the uselessness of a conversation in which someone just wants to give a simple answer to a question and move on instead of having a dialogue about a subject. Very boring.

@TequilaAddict

You are right, it's very hard to make some people understand, especially those who are not affected by what the topic is discussing. For example...it boggles the mind when TMo, VZW, or Sprint customers complain about a change to AT&Ts practices.
    10-14-09 07:47 PM
    It boggles the mind when AT&T customers complain about a change to AT&Ts practices, when the carrier does nothing because of their complaints on internet forums too!
    10-14-09 08:11 PM
    Let me get this straight. You have been doing business with AT&T for awhile now. You were given a BlackBerry as a gift and began using that phone, but kept using it on your original voice plan? You don't use AT&T's server to access the internet and instead only get online when WiFi is available. AT&T recently sends you a letter stating that they will be enforce upon any of their customers with a device capable of using data to take on an added data plan to their existing agreement. Is this correct?

If so, I would go through the contract I signed with them with a fine tooth comb and see if I couldn't bring it into court and force them to uphold their end of the contract. However, they are a multi-billion dollar company and I'm sure their lawyers have covered their butts in allowing them to break their own contracts and if you signed it then you only have basically two options left. One go back to your original phone or buy a voice plan capable phone and continue on with your long standing phone plan with AT&T or opt out of the contract penalty free and go to another service provider. I would suggest Verizon, but no matter whoever you go with you'll be paying more than you do now on your current type of plan, but why stay with a company that is looking to bleed you of every last red cent they can (in all honesty they all do this)?

I don't see how it matters to anyone here why you have a BlackBerry and wish to use it on a voice plan only. It's simply none of their business how you or anyone else chooses to use their BlackBerry if it's not hurting anyone. They're out of line for insulting you and in violation according to the TOS of this forum. If they want to flame others for not living up to their expectations they should find a forum where this is acceptable behavior. Besides, no one really cares about their opinions on the matter.

In any case, AT&T has given you a chance to opt of the contract penalty free without telling you as much because they're hoping that you'll stay on as a customer and pay the data plan that THEY will see fit choosing for YOU. I, myself, would never continue doing business with a company that would treat me this way. AT&T's customer service sucks and the fact that they are the 2nd largest provider in the U.S. and heavily pale in comparison to the largest service provider should tell their customers something. My advice to you would be to get out while you can and pay a little more for much better service. If you plan to use that BlackBerry be prepared to pay for a data plan no matter where you go.
    10-14-09 11:08 PM
    Let me get this straight. You have been doing business with AT&T for awhile now. You were given a BlackBerry as a gift and began using that phone, but kept using it on your original voice plan? You don't use AT&T's server to access the internet and instead only get online when WiFi is available. AT&T recently sends you a letter stating that they will be enforce upon any of their customers with a device capable of using data to take on an added data plan to their existing agreement. Is this correct?
    No you are not correct. Please reread the whole thread.
    10-15-09 01:45 AM
    No you are not correct. Please reread the whole thread.
    I did read the whole thread and that question was directed to the OP. Although, if I'm incorrect maybe you can point me to the post I apparently missed?
    10-15-09 01:51 AM
    The price of the phone is built into the contract. If people buy bolds all day long for 100 bucks and cancel the data plan then ATT looses money. So, ATT says AFTER A CERTAIN DATE people buying smartphones under contract AT A DISCOUNT will need to continue the data plan just like people have been doing with voice plans. What is not to understand? Isn't it kind of a ****** thing to do anyway? Buying a smartphone with no data plan? Dont like it then buy a phone instead of getting a free one. Anyone want to buy the wifes 8310?
    10-15-09 02:12 AM
    I did read the whole thread and that question was directed to the OP. Although, if I'm incorrect maybe you can point me to the post I apparently missed?
    Posts 24,26,29,36,50,76,77,78,81,87
    10-15-09 02:14 AM
    The price of the phone is built into the contract. If people buy bolds all day long for 100 bucks and cancel the data plan then ATT looses money. So, ATT says AFTER A CERTAIN DATE people buying smartphones under contract AT A DISCOUNT will need to continue the data plan just like people have been doing with voice plans. What is not to understand? Isn't it kind of a ****** thing to do anyway? Buying a smartphone with no data plan? Dont like it then buy a phone instead of getting a free one. Anyone want to buy the wifes 8310?
    As the OP stated, the phone was a GIFT given to him/her by someone else that he/she started using instead of his/her older one. The OP stated the only time they used the phone any differently from their original phone was to use the internet when WiFi was available therefore not using AT&T's server which means AT&T is not losing money and have no reason to bill the customer for data used.
    10-15-09 02:23 AM
    As the OP stated, the phone was a GIFT given to him/her by someone else that he/she started using instead of his/her older one. The OP stated the only time they used the phone any differently from their original phone was to use the internet when WiFi was available therefore not using AT&T's server which means AT&T is not losing money and have no reason to bill the customer for data used.
    I really don't think I should have to ask this but here goes. Why would ATT send him a bill for a phone someone gave him? Where does it say they will be billing him? What part of my post did you not understand? You get a free phone or a discounted phone with a 2 year agreement and it happens to be a smartphone then you will be required to have a data plan for 2 years as well. All of which has nothing to do with the OP and the phone someone gave to him. Nothing at all.

Q: I use a smartphone today. Does this mean that I need to sign up for a data plan?
    A: If you purchased a smartphone prior to September 6, 2009 and are using data on a pay per use basis, you will not be required to add a data plan at this time. However, data plans let customers take advantage of browsing the mobile Web , search, advanced e-mail capabilities, applications, games, music services and more – without the worry of bill shock; we recommend that all smartphone users have a data plan.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 10-15-09 at 02:33 AM.
    10-15-09 02:28 AM
    Posts 24,26,29,36,50,76,77,78,81,87
    I see where you are going with this. My reason for asking the OP was to get clarification on the issue he/she is having with AT&T. As was already pointed out early on in this thread the keyword was "begin to use" after the date that was given. So I'm not in disagreement with you. I was asking the OP since the OP is the one dealing with this issue first hand and anyone else's input is merely speculation. This thread has branched out into several different directions due to people incorrectly assuming, as the above demonstrated with the idea that the OP bought this phone or got it free from AT&T in signing a contract for it, which is not the case.

I do understand your point and agree, but I was hoping that the OP would clear this up since they may have just misunderstood that notice that was included in the bill they received. It was more than likely sent to all their customers regardless of the phone or plan they were currently locked into. I know if I received such a letter from my service provider I would have contacted customer service immediately before I came to a forum to find answers. I don't like my money being played with.
    10-15-09 02:36 AM
114 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD