How my original comment got turned into this........
    What is your reason to complain? Those charges are not applicable to you, since you are grandfathered in. When your contract is up, you can check with other carriers and choose one whose service and pricing is more suitable to your needs. You do not have to stay with AT&T forever.
    10-10-09 07:46 PM
    there voiding the contract get out of it..
    10-10-09 07:50 PM
    Anyone know what's up with this ?

I received a letter with my AT&T bill -"Data Plan Requirement for Smartphones"

It states "an eligible data plan is required for Smartphones (including iPhpne, Blackberry, & PDA devises per AT&T Wireless Rate Plan Terms & conditions at www(dot)att(dot)com/planterms] If you begin using a Smartphone after 09/05/09 without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account & bill you the proper monthly fee. See www(dot)att(dot)com/smartphoneplans]Smartphone Devices and Data Plans | Wireless from AT&T[/url] for more info".

Now, I use a Blackberry on AT&T (very old plan that gives way more minutes & free texting etc for half the $ of current AT&T offerings.), but I don't use any AT&T data access - web etc. All I use it for is talking, an occasional text, and wi-fi, which doesn't use the AT&T network.
    The way I look at it is that AT&T is getting too greedy. I use my Blackberry for occasional wi-fi - the same way I use my laptop for wi-fi at home or coffee shop. Nothing I use wi-fi for goes through the AT&T network.
    Are mainly they going after unlocked iPhones or everybody ?

What's next, no unlocked phones on AT&T ?

Has anyone really read this and actually understands what it means (not to me) but could mean to you ?
    10-10-09 07:51 PM
    Has anyone really read this and actually understands what it means (not to me) but could mean to you ?
    "If you begin using a Smartphone after 09/05/09"

The keyword is "begin".

It doesn't apply if you have already been using the "same" Smartphone before 9/5/09.
    10-10-09 07:55 PM
    In the end, I think that AT&T will screw gc_mann over if he opts to hang onto his BB. gc_mann, you're better off dumping the phone if you want to hang onto your old and inexpensive service plan. It sucks and it's not right, but AT&T will fock you otherwise.
    10-10-09 07:58 PM
    In the end, I think that AT&T will screw gc_mann over if he opts to hang onto his BB. gc_mann, you're better off dumping the phone if you want to hang onto your old and inexpensive service plan. It sucks and it's not right, but AT&T will fock you otherwise.
    I don't believe in that. I know OP doesn't like AT&T. I don't either that's why I am on Sprint. AT&T has the right to make changes, but cannot force OP to a new plan. OP also has a right to terminate existing contract without penalty because the proposed changes void the existing contract.
    10-10-09 08:04 PM
    btw gc_mann you wont have to take data.. bcoz anyone who "didnt" have data before sep 6 will be grandfathered in and wont have to take data..
    see this thread for more info: http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-n...ta-plan-311071
    Last edited by admirer; 10-10-09 at 08:08 PM.
    10-10-09 08:04 PM
    First, AT&T does not own the "sand box", just as no one owns the internet.
    I never said that they own the internet. But hey DO own the NETWORK that your are CHOOSING to connect a device to. So again (and I will type more slowly so that you can understand), if you CHOOSE to have a device connected to their network, you have to comply with their rules. It's not a hard concept comprehend.

AT&T set the terms of my usage of the network access point, not how.
    They can charge me for what I use.
    Wrong. They absolutely can set the terms of how you connect to their network.

If you went into a restaurant and ordered a steak, potato, and vegetable, then you were presented with a bill for everything on the menu, would that make you happy ? If you complained, and their answer was , "well, all this was available for you - even though you didn't consume it, we feel we are within our rights to charge you anyway ... our establishment, our rules. Don't like it, go to a different establishment.
    That's not even close to being a comparable comparison.

Again, they are saying UPFRONT, if you CHOOSE to use a device on OUR NETWORK, you must comply with our Terms of Service which include have a required data plan with designated devices.

Your comparison is more like you ordering a steak dinner and then when you choose to only eat half of it, wanting to only pay for half of it. When you knew UPFRONT what the conditions were.

If you don't use data and only want to use voice and text and WiFi, then when the time comes, don't get a smartphone, iPhone, BlackBerry etc. Or just keep your current device and you can keep your current terms.

You seem to think that changing your device on their network shouldn't change the terms of your service, but again, THEY get to set the rules not you.
    10-10-09 08:20 PM
    "If you begin using a Smartphone after 09/05/09"

The keyword is "begin".

It doesn't apply if you have already been using the "same" Smartphone before 9/5/09.

D^mn Great catch. Surprised no one else noticed this.

I'm afraid what this means in corporate legal speak - as of 09/05/09 - we will treat you as if you started using a Smartphone on that date.

Hope this is wrong.
    Next is AT&T going to define the term "Smartphone" ?
    10-10-09 09:02 PM
    I dont see the issue, if oyu go to another carrier they ALREADY have these kinds of restrictions. So where else are you going to threaten to go?

Why is a BB a MUST HAVE without data that a good dumbphone cant do? They do email, the do HTML browsing these days, they have QWERTYs to text, some have PIM and java apps (the same the BB uses). So why EXACTLY must you have a BB then?

Theyre notifying you in advance, not after the fact. Either accept it and keep the BB or dont accept and move carriers even though you wont get a different policy, or get a QWERTY messaging phone.
    10-10-09 09:03 PM
    D^mn Great catch. Surprised no one else noticed this.

I'm afraid what this means in corporate legal speak - as of 09/05/09 - we will treat you as if you started using a Smartphone on that date.

Hope this is wrong.
    Next is AT&T going to define the term "Smartphone" ?
    I said that exact thing in the second post in this thread.

If you START using a designated device after that date you must have a data plan.
    10-10-09 09:15 PM
    Looks like ATT is coming over to the (Big Red) side. So some one better start using the force.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 10:23 PM
    Just to clarify..AT&T has NOT changed their TOS, they simply started enforcing it. Their TOS has included the term, "An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones." since the iPhone came out. They simply did not enforce it untill now because they had to let contracts expire that had been started prior to 09-06-07. Any contracts signed after 9-6-7 full under the current TOS and as of 9-6-9 they are enforcing it on all new activations and upgrades.

As for the OPs lame comparisons to ISPs and Cable companies it's all been debated before. Do a few searches and read a little. You will get no sympathy here, even from those of us with a BB and no data plan, thanks to AT&T grandfathering us in.

Edit:
    BTW..Under their current terms of service they could begin requiring data on EVERY data capable device and would still be under their TOS.
    10-11-09 12:04 AM
    these corporate people, they will use what not tricks to "milk" public's money, and when they r bankrupt public will have to come and save their asses.. yeah we saved GM, dont worry we will save each and everyone of u ATT, VZN.. coz looking at the business practices u guys have started, it seems ur death is also very near..
    10-11-09 12:24 PM
    Why does Admirer need a BB phone or any smart phones at all. What's the point of sending emails that no one can understand. Save your money.
    10-11-09 01:18 PM
    people who are trying to save AT$T's *** answer my question first, some of them even didnt understand what i asked, and tried to call me moron too.. for yr lil heads let me explain my question in simpler words so that the grey matters in ur head will be able to process it better..

my question is: those people who had data before sep 6, why dont at$t allow those people to discontinue the data after coming to know that att has made it mandatory now. why didnt they? and att even didnt send a letter or email informing they are gonna make data mandatory from sep 6th.. so dirty bussiness tricks..
    att reps and store reps kept selling bb by saying "you have no worries, in att they allow to drop or take the data anytime u want". those old customers didnt know att is gonna make it mandatory on sep 6th.. why they were misguided and trapped..? huh?
    I agree. If At&t clearly mishandled the transition from non-required Data Plans to required Data Plans. The question you should be asking is if it was just the one store that misled you, or if it is company wide problem. But you should also be taking this complaint up with At&t. This is a public forum. There is no reason for you to get angry and rude with the people here. If you have a problem with your carrier, like At&t, you should take it up with them or switch carriers at the end of your contract.
    10-11-09 01:37 PM
    if you have a smartphone, and use AT$T's network to access any internet/data source....then yes they should charge you whatever they want, how they want!!

BUT....if you have a wi-fi enabled phone, blackberry, nokia, WHATEVER, and ONLY use public/free wi-fi sources to access the web(which has NO BEARING ON AT$T's NETWORK) then AT$T should back off!!

the reasoning AT$T gave was too many customers accessing the web, getting hit with huge KB usage bill's and complaining about it. but just because a few DUMB people don't know how to use their SMARTphones is no reason to up the charges on everyone with a smartphone.

*ATTN: blackberry users/lovers* how would you take it if your provider told you that your data plans would not change, charges would not change, BUT you could no longer use your blackberries freely but must switch to a nokia, htc, iphone? its still an option, which we will enforce a mandatory $30 charge to do so.

lets all just take a step back and not be so defensive/angry....but understand where others a coming from.
    Last edited by moosebennett; 10-11-09 at 04:43 PM.
    10-11-09 04:40 PM
    Folks,

Thread cleaned up! Remember......

....... from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    10-11-09 09:56 PM
    What AT&T is doing regarding data is within line with the industry and well within their TOS. If you don't like their business practices then you can choose to go with another carrier. There are plenty of satisfied AT&T customers who have no problem with this change.
    10-11-09 11:56 PM
    just because "everyone else does it" is not a sensible argument. i'm so tired of reading that. it doesn't make it the best/right policy. a better policy would be at the time of signing a new contract, you either enroll in a data plan or give AT$T the right to disable data from your phone/line. and nobody can possibly believe that they never thought of that option. its why they are "AT$T."

and yes, there are plenty of happy customers out there....currently. because they are either proactive and know whats coming and have accepted it.......or they are totally oblivious. i believe its common knowledge that the average american is reactive, not proactive. they're about to see the first monthly bills with an unexpected $30 addition. and soon after that you'll see a lot of people changing phones or changing carriers.
    10-12-09 07:36 AM
    But if you reread the contract that you signed (assuming a contract was renewed in the last 28 months), you agreed to have a data plan. Nothing with your contract has changed except they started to actually enforce their rules (including the data plan one that you agreed to)
    10-12-09 08:34 AM
    just because "everyone else does it" is not a sensible argument. i'm so tired of reading that. it doesn't make it the best/right policy. a better policy would be at the time of signing a new contract, you either enroll in a data plan or give AT$T the right to disable data from your phone/line. and nobody can possibly believe that they never thought of that option. its why they are "AT$T."

and yes, there are plenty of happy customers out there....currently. because they are either proactive and know whats coming and have accepted it.......or they are totally oblivious. i believe its common knowledge that the average american is reactive, not proactive. they're about to see the first monthly bills with an unexpected $30 addition. and soon after that you'll see a lot of people changing phones or changing carriers.
    So you are saying it's AT&T's fault that some of it's customers are oblivious? And ye it is a sensible arguement that they are moving in line with the rest of the industry. We are not talking about lil' Jonny doing drugs because his peers are doing it. We are talking about an industry business practice. It happens in every industry both good and bad. It goes both ways. No one complains when a company makes a change to come in line with the industry when it benifits them. No one complained when AT&T added an unlimited text plan like everyone else had done.

Again, if you don't like a companies practice you have the freedom to go elsewhere. Complaining about it here is lame, especially by those who are not even affected.
    10-12-09 04:01 PM
    What kind of stupid immature attutide does one have to have to complain about a company wanting to make money? Newsflash: NO company cares about you. At all. They just want you to think they do so you will spend money on their product. Typing "AT$T" is about as stupid and infantile as losers who rage against "micro$uck!!!!11"
    10-12-09 04:07 PM
    gc_mann; your inital post said that you were on a very old plan, so i believe that you are gonna be grandfathered in and not have to add the data plan. i apologize that we've used your initial post to go off on a tangent.

barbwyr; no i'm not saying it is AT$T's fault that their customers don't know how to use their phones and get hit with big bills. i'm saying that a company as large as they are, should be striving for a solution that would give customers more choices and better service rather than a blanket solution that just puts more cash in their pockets.

codito; you are absolutely right, almost no company out there cares about the consumer. glad you get it.

a lot of people read these forums. i'd rather point out and speak for the benefit of the end consumer than to roll over and always side with the conglomerate, when i think its necessary. i've been an AT&T(your welcome) customer for over 9 years and have always liked/approved of my service until this point came to light. my hope is that a rep, a manager, (or if so blessed) a big-wig in a company reads the statements and at least takes a little bit of it to heart, so that it may trickle down into something positive for someone else somewhere.

but hey, if you guys feel better pickin' on me? knock yourselves out.
    10-12-09 04:56 PM

You are misreading (or misunderstanding) what was posted.

Only users who START using a particular device after the date indicated will have to have a data plan. Users who are currently using a particular device will not have to have a data plan. Once the users choose to CHANGE to a DIFFERENT specified device, will they have to have a data plan.

No one is going to get blindsided with a $30 charge.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 10-12-09 at 07:00 PM.
    10-12-09 05:51 PM
114 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD