Anyone know what's up with this ?

I received a letter with my AT&T bill -"Data Plan Requirement for Smartphones"

It states "an eligible data plan is required for Smartphones (including iPhpne, Blackberry, & PDA devises per AT&T Wireless Rate Plan Terms & conditions at www(dot)att(dot)com/planterms] If you begin using a Smartphone after 09/05/09 without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account & bill you the proper monthly fee. See www(dot)att(dot)com/smartphoneplans]Smartphone Devices and Data Plans | Wireless from AT&T[/url] for more info".

Now, I use a Blackberry on AT&T (very old plan that gives way more minutes & free texting etc for half the $ of current AT&T offerings.), but I don't use any AT&T data access - web etc. All I use it for is talking, an occasional text, and wi-fi, which doesn't use the AT&T network.
    The way I look at it is that AT&T is getting too greedy. I use my Blackberry for occasional wi-fi - the same way I use my laptop for wi-fi at home or coffee shop. Nothing I use wi-fi for goes through the AT&T network.
    Are mainly they going after unlocked iPhones or everybody ?

What's next, no unlocked phones on AT&T ?
    10-10-09 05:33 PM
    Where's the confusion? Sounds fairly straight forward.

If you START using a designated device after the posted date, you are REQUIRED to have a data plan.

Simple. Don't like it, then don't use one of the designated devices. Simple.
    10-10-09 05:41 PM
    I agree with the OP that it is concerning that ATT would be doing this.

The blackberry is supposed to be like a little computer and it can use WIFI for data. ATT should not interfere with that or demand you use ATT to access that.

I stay in hotels a lot and pay for WIFI already. I have wifi internet at home as well. Do I need to pay a third time to access this again ? Seems I should be able to use my device at hotel or home or in a public library where internet is free / for free and not have ATT or some other carrier hassle me.

If I was using their internet ... yes, i should pay.

Is there something I don't understand ? Or am i missing something ? I am somewhat technologically challenged. But, working to learn more. Is there some access to ATT needed that would justify their demand for this ? Or is it just a ploy to try to increase their revenue and take advantage of the end users.

I'd like to understand this issue a bit more.
    10-10-09 05:56 PM
    So, you think it is ok for AT&T to void their contract and assign you to a plan they chose simply because you want to use a different device, but not change the services you use ? The device is irrelevant. AT&T does not own the device.

I think you don't understand.

Suppose your ISP wants to charge you more because you upgrade your system or start using wireless instead of a cable.
    Same concept.
    10-10-09 06:04 PM
    KymberlyKane -
    Yes, you understand.

It's the device, not the network.
    10-10-09 06:08 PM
    AT&T are just doing what all of the other carriers do and that is you must have a data plan to have a smartphone with them. They are just getting up to speed and doing what the others did a while back. Simple as that. Just the AT&T customers have gotten away with not needing one for longer but it was bound to happen eventually. They have to make money, too, just like your cable company you pay to have wifi in your home.
    10-10-09 06:10 PM
    gc_mann: What BB do you have? Your profile says you have a CDMA 8230 with at&t.
    10-10-09 06:16 PM
    Makes sense to me. i don't see the point of having a pda smartphone without using data anyway. i could never use a berry without having a data plan. it's vital!
    10-10-09 06:21 PM
    Whether you agree with the new requirement or not, ATT has the right to modify it's TOS. You have been notified of the change and you just do you want to do next.

It funny that the complaint is only always one way. If ATT changed the TOS to benefit you, you wouldn't complaint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 06:32 PM
    its not greedy, whats the purpose of a smart phone w/o data. its like having a computer without a keyboard pointless. Why pay 300 bucks for a device your only using text and make phone calls. For that get a qwerty basic phone n do that same
    10-10-09 06:37 PM
    I agree that it is pointless to even have a smartphone/blackberry if you are not using it as one. To many people that have them now don't need them and don't know how to use them. They just have them to say they have a blackberry. AT&T has every right to charge extra to have extra services. Maybe now with the added revenue they can finally upgrade their data network.

10-10-09 06:49 PM
    AT&T are just doing what all of the other carriers do and that is you must have a data plan to have a smartphone with them. They are just getting up to speed and doing what the others did a while back. Simple as that. Just the AT&T customers have gotten away with not needing one for longer but it was bound to happen eventually. They have to make money, too, just like your cable company you pay to have wifi in your home.
    Why should they be allowed to make more money for providing the same service ? I am not using any more/different services. Same service, different phone.

You don't have to pay your ISP more to have wi-fi in your home. You pay for the wireless router yourself. If you are paying more, then you should ask why.
    10-10-09 06:50 PM
    I agree that it is pointless to even have a smartphone/blackberry if you are not using it as one. To many people that have them now don't need them and don't know how to use them. They just have them to say they have a blackberry. AT&T has every right to charge extra to have extra services. Maybe now with the added revenue they can finally upgrade their data network.

Ok, if someone who cares about you gives you a Blackberry as a gift, are you going to say - "no thanks, get that thing away from me".

Again, you don't understand. I am not using the extra services. I am using the same services with a different device because it was given to me as a gift.
    10-10-09 06:56 PM
    It doesn't matter.

You have to comply with their terms. It's their sandbox.

Don't like it, then go to another provider or use a different device.

You don't get to set the terms. You don't have to like it, but it's their house and their rules.

No one is forcing you to use a particular device. You are CHOOSING to do so. And if you CHOOSE to do so, then you have to follow their rules. Simple. You can't make up your own rules. And they have no obligation to continue to offer things that they offered in the past.

Want an new device, comply with the new rules.
    Don't want to comply with the new rules, keep the old device or use a different device.
    10-10-09 07:01 PM
    Whether you agree with the new requirement or not, ATT has the right to modify it's TOS. You have been notified of the change and you just do you want to do next.

It funny that the complaint is only always one way. If ATT changed the TOS to benefit you, you wouldn't complaint.

So, you're ok with arbitrary changes in terms of service in favor of corporate america - even when there is no change in service ?
    If AT&T would raise your land line bill because you got a new cordless phone you'd be fine with that ?
    Hope not.............
    10-10-09 07:02 PM
    also you should understand that with a requires internet package on a smartphone also means bigger subsidy for the customer... I know here in my store (at&t) we set out own pricing and we also set it 20 bucks higher that corporate stores just in case you dont get the internet package because we make nothing on just selling you the phone. But now that its required internet package we are 20 bucks less that corporate for all our smartphones.
    10-10-09 07:07 PM
    So, you're ok with arbitrary changes in terms of service in favor of corporate america - even when there is no change in service ?
    If AT&T would raise your land line bill because you got a new cordless phone you'd be fine with that ?
    Hope not.............
    First, AT&T is a private company and has right to charge as much or as little as they want. You have the option to take it or leave it. Do you not work for money? If another company offers you twice as much, you would jump ship. Forget the cost your current company spent to train you or loyalty. That's free market for AT&T and you.

With enough customers like yourself leaving AT&T, then AT&T might reconsider the position. Again that's free market.

If your friend gave your a Mercedez for Christmas, if you cannot afford the insruane or upkeep, you don't drive it.

Also did you know AT%T and others carrier have to pay BB for every BB in service. Who do think is runing the BIS and BES servers and service in the background. That's why BB is service to make a phone that uses its service.
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-10-09 at 07:13 PM.
    10-10-09 07:09 PM
    If the TOS change gave you the option of breaking your contract without penalty... it would be fair, but to say "give us more money or buy a new phone" is not acceptable. A contract cannot be altered unilaterally to the benefit of one party. We all saw what happened when Chase tried to pull something like this with their loan customers later last year.

The thing is, the required data plans that accompany smart phones is to fund additional subsidies of the expensive smart phones. If you already have a phone, there is no justification to require you to purchase additional services after the fact.

OP, if AT&T wishes to push the point, I advise you tell them to break the contract and pick the service you like contract free, as you already have a phone.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: "it funny that the complaint is only always one way. If ATT changed the TOS to benefit you, you wouldn't complaint." is pure idiocy.
    10-10-09 07:24 PM
    Why are people missing the fact that the OP is ONLY using VOICE service from AT&T and using data/internet when connected to wi-fi? Obviously, AT&T can do as it wants within their TOS, but I don't think it's right that they force a person to another plan just because he's got a certain type of phone when he's only using the VOICE service.
    Sure, it may be a waste to have a smartphone when only using voice service but he should only pay for that and no more!
    10-10-09 07:30 PM
    It doesn't matter.

You have to comply with their terms. It's their sandbox.

Don't like it, then go to another provider or use a different device.

You don't get to set the terms. You don't have to like it, but it's their house and their rules.

No one is forcing you to use a particular device. You are CHOOSING to do so. And if you CHOOSE to do so, then you have to follow their rules. Simple. You can't make up your own rules. And they have no obligation to continue to offer things that they offered in the past.

Want an new device, comply with the new rules.
    Don't want to comply with the new rules, keep the old device or use a different device.

First, AT&T does not own the "sand box", just as no one owns the internet.

AT&T set the terms of my usage of the network access point, not how.
    They can charge me for what I use.

If you went into a restaurant and ordered a steak, potato, and vegetable, then you were presented with a bill for everything on the menu, would that make you happy ? If you complained, and their answer was , "well, all this was available for you - even though you didn't consume it, we feel we are within our rights to charge you anyway ... our establishment, our rules. Don't like it, go to a different establishment.
    10-10-09 07:32 PM
    Why are people missing the fact that the OP is ONLY using VOICE service from AT&T and using data/internet when connected to wi-fi? Obviously, AT&T can do as it wants within their TOS, but I don't think it's right that they force a person to another plan just because he's got a certain type of phone when he's only using the VOICE service.
    Sure, it may be a waste to have a smartphone when only using voice service but he should only pay for that and no more!
    Thanks.
    I was given the Blackberry as a gift. I just don't want to see anyone else paying more than what they are using either. What will the next arbitrary rule be ?
    if I was "swiping" something, then I would be ok with being put on a different plan. But, unless using a Blackberry for talking is a no no, then I feel I am in the right.
    10-10-09 07:38 PM
    First, AT&T does not own the "sand box", just as no one owns the internet.

AT&T set the terms of my usage of the network access point, not how.
    They can charge me for what I use.

If you went into a restaurant and ordered a steak, potato, and vegetable, then you were presented with a bill for everything on the menu, would that make you happy ? If you complained, and their answer was , "well, all this was available for you - even though you didn't consume it, we feel we are within our rights to charge you anyway ... our establishment, our rules. Don't like it, go to a different establishment.
    As long as they did not backcharge you for the previous months of services. AT&T is notifying of future change. Opt out if you don't want it. Go to a different restaurant. How long do you think that restaurant will last.

Free market
    10-10-09 07:40 PM
    Thanks.
    I was given the Blackberry as a gift. I just don't want to see anyone else paying more than what they are using either. What will the next arbitrary rule be ?
    if I was "swiping" something, then I would be ok with being put on a different plan. But, unless using a Blackberry for talking is a no no, then I feel I am in the right.
    If you receive a TV cable box as gift, you will be charged when you use the cable box to watch TV. The monthly fee may go up or down in the future. Gift or no gift has nothing to do with it.
    10-10-09 07:42 PM
    As long as they did not backcharge you for the previous months of services. AT&T is notifying of future change. Opt out if you don't want it. Go to a different restaurant. How long do you think that restaurant will last.

Free market
    To the OP, you are grandfathered in, so none of these charges are applicable to you anyway. When your contract is up, check with other carriers and pick one whose service and pricing is more suitable to your needs.
    10-10-09 07:43 PM
    First, AT&T is a private company and has right to charge as much or as little as they want. You have the option to take it or leave it. Do you not work for money? If another company offers you twice as much, you would jump ship. Forget the cost your current company spent to train you or loyalty. That's free market for AT&T and you.

With enough customers like yourself leaving AT&T, then AT&T might reconsider the position. Again that's free market.

If your friend gave your a Mercedez for Christmas, if you cannot afford the insruane or upkeep, you don't drive it.

Also did you know AT%T and others carrier have to pay BB for every BB in service. Who do think is runing the BIS and BES servers and service in the background. That's why BB is service to make a phone that uses its service.

How my original comment got turned into this........
    10-10-09 07:43 PM
114 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD