The first is a new $10 per month for 1000 text messages (with each additional costing $.10,) while the second is the $20 unlimited text plan ($30 for family plans.) Going away are the $5/200 message and $15/1500 message plans.
    Leaked: New ATT text messaging plans in preparation for Verizon iPhone | Gear Live
    01-19-11 03:19 PM
    I just read over on Engadget they are also changing their upgrade terms like Verizon. All carriers are evil but AT&T and Verizon take the cake.
    01-19-11 04:24 PM
    I just read over on Engadget they are also changing their upgrade terms like Verizon. All carriers are evil but AT&T and Verizon take the cake.
    Yeah, they're evil. Because it doesn't cost them anything to run a cellular network. They're just sucking that stuff out of the sky!
    01-19-11 09:56 PM
    Oh well, at least canada's smaller carriers than the big 3 are offering cheap plans for text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 11:54 PM
    This is good news....competition is just beginning.......I hope Verizon follows suit.

Right now we just have a $10 TXT plan on my daughter's line. unlimited M2M, and 500 out/in outside of the VZE network.

so if VZW follows suit and meets those, I can either get my daughter twice the number for the same money (which we split the cost with her) and overages TXTs (which she pays for) which are half the cost of what they are currently on VZW.

Or for $10 more, I can get her unlimited on her line or for $20 more get it on our whole fam plan.

I bet VZW matches it......or beats it.....one can hope!!!!!
    01-20-11 08:50 AM
    You know, I might just call VZW loyalty and try and use this to see if they can comp me more TXT for her.......

Oh and the way Best Buy is going to be downplaying things......idiotic. Then again, the average consumer going to Best Buy has no idea that 4G is not really 4G. And in some cities that puttering 3G iPhone on VZW will actually move along just as fast, if not faster, than another carrier's "4G' phone.
    Last edited by jlb21; 01-20-11 at 08:59 AM.
    01-20-11 08:51 AM
    I actually think the Text plan changes are niec. You can pay $5 more and go from 200 to 1k texts. That's good. When I was on AT&T I kept my texting to a minimum because they were otherwise too expensive.

With a 200 Txt + 450 Minute + Unlimited Data plan I was paying like $86+/mo.

Thankfully, I had started my account like 2 weeks before they raised the ETF Fee by almost 100% and just left and went with T-Mobile.
    01-20-11 08:51 AM
    I'm currently on the $5/200 plan and I never go over... Always seemed like the perfect size for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 08:52 AM
    Some success!!!!

The VERY helpful person I spoke to in the VZW loyalty assured me without question that there was no way to reduce my data rate without being on the 1400minute T&T plan.

But here's what they are doing for me:

- For choosing to extend my contract (does not effect my remaining NE2) from 11/2011 to 1/2012 (not much), they are going to give me 1 free month of service. For me, that's roughly $120. While this is small fry compared to those of you with 4-5 lines or more, this will equate to a significant portion of the iPhone I want to upgrade my wife to come Feb.

- For choosing to extend my daughter's contract (again nets to only a few additional months), they are giving her 500 bonus minutes for the year (not each month). Heck, it's something. She may end up just saying "Dad I have 1000 this month". Her choice.

- Also, not a monetary thing, but the rep also helped me with my blocks. Previously, there was no way to block web/data without it effecting the ability to do pic/vid messaging. They've changed the blocks around so now she can do pic/vid while we retain the web/data blocks.

Soooooo....all in all a decent bit of help from Big Red for a small-fry but long-time customer.

Mods, if it is ok, I may quote myself in the $20 Data Discount thread in the VZW forum. I hope this is ok. But I do think folks over there should see this info without having to come here......
    01-20-11 09:59 AM
    Also from the Gearlive website, comes this new tidbit, which shows how AT&T will "pay" for the reduced TXT plans:

Aside from changes to their SMS fee structure, AT&T will also be changing up their activation fees. Beginning January 23, the fee on all activations, regardless of the type of phone purchased, will be standardized at $36. Also, the activation fee for additional FamilyTalk lines is being raised to $36 (it is currently $26.)
    01-20-11 10:47 AM
    The question comes to mind, How much does a single Txt cost on AT&T with no plan?

Years ago it cost the same to have 200txt plan as it did to send 100 txts with no plan, so if you sent very few txts it wasn't worth having the plan,

when I got my first phone capable of txt messaging I stuck to the lowest txting option because I didn't send many, but sent just enough to need the plan, this would be something for the people used to the 200 txt mark to look at.
    01-20-11 10:54 AM
    I believe they cost $.20. I don't currently pay for a texting plan. I make people use BBM or Gtalk or something if they want to chat with me.
    01-20-11 11:35 AM
    Another something to consider for me. I'm torn between staying with Sprint and seeing if they get the Torch or Storm or something touch screen or porting back to ATT or giving Verizion a try.

ATT doesn't have an unlimited data plan for BB users listed on their website. I'm a data junkie at the gym as I'm there on the treadmill on average about 45 minutes a day. That's a LOT of YouTube and I'd fly over the limit in no time. They do have unlimited texting which is what I need since I cross the 5,000 mark every month. Phone minutes aren't that big of a deal because as you can tell, I text a LOT.

Verizon has unlimited data and unlimited texts but I'd be paying $25-30 more a month for what I'm paying now with Sprint.

Decisions, decisions. ATT does have the better coverage here, but it's a coin toss as to whether ATT or Vzw would work at my house which is in the middle of nowhere. Forget getting 3G.
    01-25-11 09:04 AM
    This is ridiculous. My wife and I both have the $5/200 plan and never go over. Sucks...
    01-25-11 12:50 PM
    I can't go to Verizon - need GSM. I'm on the unlimited family....hope they don't do anything strange to my plan.
    01-25-11 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD