even if they do allow you to keep your TMO phone there are rumors that you can't have 3G. if you can deal with that, fine.

also when voicestream became TMO i kept my VS SIM card for a while then it stopped working. This might be how ATT is going to get people in the end. (yes i realize how sinister that sounds)
    03-22-11 09:12 AM
    even if they do allow you to keep your TMO phone there are rumors that you can't have 3G. if you can deal with that, fine.

also when voicestream became TMO i kept my VS SIM card for a while then it stopped working. This might be how ATT is going to get people in the end. (yes i realize how sinister that sounds)
    Not saying keep your phone but keep your plan. No one is going to be able to keep their phone. They are moving everyone off that frequency. What I am saying is that they may HAVE to allow people to still keep their plans though. Like I said for a acquisition this large AT&T will have to make a lot of concessions which means they may or may not be able to immediately make customers change plans in the same way VZW couldn't make Alltel users change. Also, VZW had to sell off a portion of the spectrum from the purchase. So it's quite possible AT&T would have to sell off some too. The point is, no one knows what's going to happen and a lot will have to be done between now and a year from now.
    03-22-11 09:23 AM
    Looks like the price of tea just went up in China.
    03-22-11 09:25 AM
    Pls explain to us how the second largest US carrier buying the 4th largest US carrier cannot be construed as a monopolistic move. Besides, you said it yourself - with this purchase, AT&T owns all of the major GSM coverage. In LA, even the smaller companies like MetroPCS are CDMA. Not to mention, national providers like VZW and Sprint are CDMA as well.
    hear hear aab81901. Everyone who is saying that ATT will keep prices reasonable if and when this happens is delusional.

Yes there are Verizon and Sprint if you dont' like it, but if you want to stay GSM, then you HAVE to choose ATT's monopoly. It's not right. Hopefully someone in a higher place than us will bring this to peoples' attention.
    This whole "only one GSM" argument is bull honkey. There number of people who care what network technology they are on and pick accordingly are (by my estimation) literally in the 1,000s. Not 10,000, but 100,000, but 1,000. So therefore their interest doesn't matter when you're talking about a 200,000,000 customer base all around. People just don't care about that. Not to mention that within the time it'll take this deal to finally go through, assuming it does, the Verizon GSM network will be up and running for over a year and have multiple phones and probably millions of people on it. Even in my small sleepy little town of 80,000 people we have an entire standalone GSM carrier known as Long Lines that probably has more subscribers than AT&T does around here. So that argument is invalid and moot. So just drop it.

No matter what you say, if AT&T starts charging outlandish rates or making crappy GSM phones, people will go to Verizon or Sprint. If that wasn't the case, why is WiMax so popular and have such nice phones? As far as I know, Sprint is the only nationwide WiMax network and the Evo 4G is a hugely popular phone. If the phone makers stopped caring about having only one network to work with, they wouldn't have made that phone for them. Especially on such a small carrier and small 4G network (especially at the time of the phones release, and even to a point now).

There is nothing anti-trust here. If Ticketmaster can buy LiveNation and XM and can buy Sirius, then this is by far no problem. By the time this deal is done, like the "roadmap" shows, LTE on both AT&T and Verizon will have been rolled out and working full scale with customers. Therefore they have the same network technology at the top end and the phone makers will have to make phones that compete with each other if they want to sell any.
    Last edited by breakmedown; 03-22-11 at 12:05 PM.
    03-22-11 12:02 PM
    If ATT moves over to that frequency, then how does that play out for us people on TMobile's frequency? We lose our phones, or have to unlock them to work on ATT or just get a new phone? I mean WTF, I shouldn't be told to get a new phone, that ish should be a choice! This will be beyond a cluster....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 04:09 PM
    If ATT moves over to that frequency, then how does that play out for us people on TMobile's frequency? We lose our phones, or have to unlock them to work on ATT or just get a new phone? I mean WTF, I shouldn't be told to get a new phone, that ish should be a choice! This will be beyond a cluster....

From the news reports I read over the past couple days, all current TMO customers using a 3G phone will eventually have to get another device compatible with AT&T's 3G because AT&T is going to free up the 1700 frequency to combine it with one of their frequencies for LTE coverage all over the country which will be for both TMO and AT&T customers.

Here's one of the articles. I think it was also on BGR and/or Engadget.

T-Mobile Customers May Need To Replace ’3G’ Phones � CBS Los Angeles
    03-22-11 04:40 PM
    right, but if ATT has already bought TMO at that point, then we TMO users will be forced to give up our grandfathered plans and go with something ATT since we're using one of their devices.
    03-22-11 04:51 PM
    This is a negative move for all americans.
    03-22-11 06:18 PM
    right, but if ATT has already bought TMO at that point, then we TMO users will be forced to give up our grandfathered plans and go with something ATT since we're using one of their devices.
    Yeah sure, I can just see AT&Tmobile grandfathering all the old Tmobile EM+ customers (plans without 2 yr contracts) after the buyout is approved. NOT........................

Ya know, the one thing I'm going to miss about Tmobile is their EM+, it was so simple, 1) These are our plans 2) This is what it costs if we don't have to keep feeding you new cellphones and equipment 3) Stay and keep using our great services at a very competitive price as long as we make you happy 4) If you ever become unhappy, give us a call before you walk away BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A CONTRACT.

I guess I'll believe how magnanimous ATT is going to be to the poor and huddled Tmobile masses when I see it.

God, I'm going to miss Tmobile.
    03-22-11 09:01 PM
    This **** sucks....so my 3G phone won't work as far as 3G because of them switching frequency's....so I will still get EDGE I assume?

Probably lose UMA as well and prices go up. This is not good news for any TMobile user.

ATT customers will be happy as a pig in **** though....hopefully I have my funds in order so I can say hasta la vista ATT...the Deathstar has won!

I am hoping a red flag pops up somewhere......

03-23-11 07:16 PM
    Yeah a lot of people aren't excited to see another carrier go down and be absorbed by one that gets a lot of criticism. I actually have 2 lines in my name on TMO that I am paying for. Though I'm not using those lines (for family) and I just left AT&T last summer and not interested in being their customer again. I already see myself moving these lines over the VZW when the contract is up.
    If it's going in front of congress and the people are freaking out, it may have a good chance of being turned down.
    03-24-11 10:36 AM
    There is already talk of it being split between att and sprint.
    03-24-11 12:58 PM
    There is already talk of it being split between att and sprint.
    link please
    03-24-11 02:51 PM
    awesome Good move att!
    03-24-11 02:54 PM
    03-24-11 03:02 PM
    03-24-11 03:13 PM
166 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD