Not as an included feature with your plan. AT&T and Sprint both offer free calls to any mobile regardless of network. VZW does not offer this. The only thing a person can do is either get an unlimited plan or get a qualifying plan where you can use "friends and family". They do not offer free mobile to mobile as an included feature.
    Only Sprint offers mobile to mobile any network. At& T has at&t mobile to mobile
    03-21-11 01:20 PM
    This could be a bad thing and a good thing, lets hope this be a good thing. The new At&t better have unlimited web, and descent pricing with good quality. Other wise verizon might just get a huge plunge with customers.
    03-21-11 01:37 PM
    Only Sprint offers mobile to mobile any network. At& T has at&t mobile to mobile
    VZ offers mobile to mobile on any network!! I don't get where you all are getting this. I have a shiny two month old contract and was able to take all of the mobile numbers OFF of friends and family.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-11 01:42 PM
    hmm mine says free mobile to mobile also...no * either
    Actually they do. I just renewed a couple of months ago. It's in there. My plan with the same phones (except for my new DX ), is actually cheaper than my grandfathered alltel plan. And that is with an added MiFi card.

Someone please show me on VZW site where it anyone gets free mobile to mobile.....ANY mobile. Not for people who were possibly grandfathered in something that they offered in the past. And certainly not VZW mobile to mobile but any mobile. Something that they offer right now. The mobile to mobile disclaimer on the site refers to VZW to VZW and not ANY mobile.

When you go to select the plans here what they say:

Plan Includes:

Introducing Friends & Family�. Unlimited calling to and from any 5 numbers on any network in America, when you select a Nationwide Plan of 900 Anytime Minutes. Learn More

* Unlimited calling to more than 80 million Verizon Wireless customers
    * Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes
    * No Domestic Long Distance Charges
    * Data sent or received is $1.99/MB (unless data package selected or required). Learn More
    * Access to Mobile Web

So if they currently offer free mobile to ANY mobile, why would it not be listed? I'm sure that would be a good selling point.

Furthermore here is Verizon's calling plan FAQ's section:

Verizon | Frequently Asked Questions About Mobile to Mobile Calling

Mobile to Mobile Calling Details

1. What is the Mobile to Mobile Calling Promotion?
    Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce its latest promotional offer - Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling and Unlimited Night and Weekend calling on Nationwide Plans and Local plans of $39.99 or higher.

Mobile to Mobile Calling allows you to call any of our more than 80 million customers nationwide whenever you want, and talk as long as you want without having to worry about using your minutes.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-21-11 at 02:32 PM.
    03-21-11 02:18 PM
    Actually AT&T does offer any mobile. They just started last month after the VZW iPhone stuff.

AT&T Now Offering Unlimited Calling Mobile to Mobile with Calling Plan | AT&T

Right now, only Sprint and AT&T are the only carriers that offer free mobile to ANY mobile.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-21-11 at 02:34 PM.
    03-21-11 02:19 PM
    BGR | Boy Genius Report � Verizon offering “Unlimited Any Mobile” plans in certain markets

It seems that you must live in selected areas to get that deal. I didn't know that. I live in Texas and the Rep didn't mention that the program was in a limited territory.

So I guess we were both right and both wrong.

03-21-11 02:38 PM
    BGR | Boy Genius Report � Verizon offering “Unlimited Any Mobile” plans in certain markets

It seems that you must live in selected areas to get that deal. I didn't know that. I live in Texas and the Rep didn't mention that the program was in a limited territory.

Ok well that would make sense. But I definitely know they weren't offering this for everyone on the network. I've been back and forth with them for the last 5 years, so trust me, I would have known LOL. Also it was one of the things I immediately missed with Sprint because we were used to never coming close to our minutes. Came back to VZW, almost went over the first month. So we had to go to a friends and family eligible plan to add some numbers.

They need to make it available all over the network and get rid of the call circle thing. I'm pretty sure it will happen now especially with this acquisition because they will be only major carrier that doesn't offer it.

So back to my original point, I think that the potential acquisition puts pressure on Sprint and VZW to offer more services without additional charges if AT&T decides to use the best of it's services and TMO's. And the unlimited calling to any mobile was one of my examples for VZW. Obviously, they been considering it, but pressure is only added for them to do so. I think customers of Sprint and Verizon will be the most beneficial as our carriers will now have to respond to AT&T which works out good for us. I only see TMO's customer's really get screwed.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-21-11 at 02:55 PM.
    03-21-11 02:46 PM
    the two bosses speaking this morning on CNBC. Many issues discussed. DOJ potentially blocking the deal, etc. AT&T's boss keeps talking about most markets have 5+ carrier choices. Not sure I agree with that since all the other carriers are tiny.

AT&T to Buy T-Mobile for $39B
    Last edited by SlickRick26; 03-21-11 at 06:26 PM.
    03-21-11 02:51 PM
    Ok well that would make sense. But I definitely know they weren't offering this for everyone on the network. I've been back and forth with them for the last 5 years, so trust me, I would have known LOL. Also it was one of the things I immediately missed with Sprint because we were used to never coming close to our minutes. Came back to VZW, almost went over the first month. So we had to go to a friends and family eligible plan to add some numbers.

They need to make it available all over the network and get rid of the call circle thing. I'm pretty sure it will happen now especially with this acquisition because they will be only major carrier that doesn't offer it.
    Or you could move to Texas or Louisiana.

03-21-11 02:52 PM
    Or you could move to Texas or Louisiana.

No thanks
    03-21-11 02:55 PM
    This deal seems to be getting a lot of negative press.
    03-21-11 02:58 PM
    This deal seems to be getting a lot of negative press.
    Yeah a lot of people aren't excited to see another carrier go down and be absorbed by one that gets a lot of criticism. I actually have 2 lines in my name on TMO that I am paying for. Though I'm not using those lines (for family) and I just left AT&T last summer and not interested in being their customer again. I already see myself moving these lines over the VZW when the contract is up.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-21-11 at 04:06 PM.
    03-21-11 03:10 PM
    Awesome!! With AT&T being the largest carrier they will now be the most expensive!

It's a good day not to be a AT&T customer but it's already floating downhill, Sprint raised their monthly service fees with the excuse that "We are still cheaper than everyone else".
    03-21-11 04:03 PM
    Valid point, but falls a tad short I think. Over 100 markets from the VZW/ALLTEL merger changed hands after the merger closed. At the time, there were actually areas where ALLTEL and VZW didn't overlap. So, it made sense. AT&T bought a lot of those markets. T-Mobile is mostly in the PCS band (not counting the 1700MHz AWS). AT&T holds huge amounts of PCS licenses. There is going to have to be huge divestiture of assets and spectrum.

I suppose the bean counters can make it work, because that all this is ever about, money, but I think a lot of customers are going to be a bit frustrated with the outcome.
    Yes however up to that point a carrier wasn't allowed to own both the A and B bands of any block of spectrum. The Vzn/Alltel merger changed that because the FCC and DOJ allowed VZN to keep both bands in some markets and didn't force them to divest because they determined that there was still sufficient competition in those markets.

The same is likely to be the case here because there is so much competition already in the largest markets, will they be forced to divest some spectrum in some markets, sure, however I don't think it will be as much as everyone thinks...

the two boss' speaking this morning on CNBC. Many issues discussed. DOJ potentially blocking the deal, etc. AT&T's boss keeps talking about most markets have 5+ carrier choices. Not sure I agree with that since all the other carriers are tiny.

AT&T to Buy T-Mobile for $39B
    In all reality DOJ isn't going to block this. Companies don't start down this road and put so much on the line if they haven't already had conversations with both FCC and DOJ and they truly believe with a high degree of certainty that this deal is going to get done.

If the merger doesn't win regulatory approval then AT&T has to cough up $3b and several blocks of spectrum. You don't agree to that if you think the odds are 50/50 on being able to close the deal....

PG
    03-21-11 04:07 PM
    Yeah a lot of people aren't excited to see another carrier go down and be absorbed by one that gets a lot of criticism. I actually have 2 lines in my name on TMO that I am paying for. Though I'm not using those lines (for family) and I just left AT&T last summer and not interested in being their customer again. I already see myself moving these lines over the VZW when the contract is up.
    that's exactly what i'm going to do if this gets ridiculous. the silver lining that's keeping me from completely hating this is that i might get to use my iphone again...but at what cost? would i have to go back to a plan that has limited data? I mean come on...limited data? are we in 2006? also i'd at least like unlimited nights/weekends...which ATT doesn't offer until their higher priced plans. ugh. ><
    03-21-11 05:31 PM
    BGR | Boy Genius Report � Verizon offering �Unlimited Any Mobile� plans in certain markets

i might have this also on my account since i got in on the 69.99 everything plan a couple months ago. not sure
    03-21-11 07:32 PM
    does this mean if we are already an at&t customer, we can go to T-Mobile and upgrade there & get one of those phones?
    03-21-11 08:33 PM
    haha i really don't think so...since ATT is buying TMO i think we're all going to be stuck with ATT's options.
    03-21-11 08:37 PM
    I will hold my opinion for now as so much can change in coming days, weeks...months. But the Deathstar better implement UMA or I just may go back to a dumbphone...I have an awesome plan right now and have 5 phones on my line, so if I switch to their plan, I can only imagine I would be paying out the whazoo!

So need UMA and decent family plan pricing...tilting more towards this sucking ***! Had att sometime ago and was a nightmare...CS, lack of phone choices at that time and terrible signal where I was at.

Dam...

03-21-11 08:55 PM
    i agree with the subtext of your post Bold

call me crazy, but i for one think that your phone company (or any company) should work for you, not the other way around.
    03-21-11 09:04 PM
    I'm with AT&T right now. I must say I am really satisfied with them since dumping my iphone for a torch. Thankfully, I have not had the pleasure of dealing with customer service over the past 5 yrs. I am actually looking forward to merger with the hope of increased cell towers and network capacity.

03-21-11 11:25 PM
    Chances are it means that once your contact is over, they will move you to a new pricing package

Rogers in Canada Sold all 807 Areacode numbers to TbayTel which is slowly moving all Rogers customers from their retention plans to new MUCH more expensive plans, ( 3 - 4 times the cost) and the only thing the consumers can do it to switch their numbers to other Area codes, and stay with rogers, they have NO other options.

as for Governments blocking this purchase, because Verizon and Sprint still exist I can't see how the government can block this sale for a monopoly, as they are not actually a monopoly, they are securing control over 1 technology, which is not the only technology, AT&T surely has the lawyers that can fight why this isn't a monopolistic move.

though it will certainly change the GSM landscape limiting what phones get developed and released
    Pls explain to us how the second largest US carrier buying the 4th largest US carrier cannot be construed as a monopolistic move. Besides, you said it yourself - with this purchase, AT&T owns all of the major GSM coverage. In LA, even the smaller companies like MetroPCS are CDMA. Not to mention, national providers like VZW and Sprint are CDMA as well.

Personally, I don't think this deal should go through. It does have too many anti-trust implications, but the FCC has a mind of it's own. In 2008, the FCC allowed CVS pharmacy to acquire Longs drugs. CVS is a major player in the healthcare industry, while Longs was only a notable one. Two years after the merger, the FCC is investigating CVS' CEO for possible violations of the anti-trust laws. They should never have allowed them to merge in the first place, instead of saying yes in the beginning only to retract their approval and publicly humiliating the company causing their stock prices to decline.
    03-22-11 06:33 AM
    This is a loss for all consumers.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    03-22-11 06:42 AM
    hear hear aab81901. Everyone who is saying that ATT will keep prices reasonable if and when this happens is delusional.

Yes there are Verizon and Sprint if you dont' like it, but if you want to stay GSM, then you HAVE to choose ATT's monopoly. It's not right. Hopefully someone in a higher place than us will bring this to peoples' attention.
    03-22-11 08:49 AM
    AT&T is planning on moving all TMO customers to a new frequency which means they will all have to get new phones. They want to free up 1700 to use for 4G so they can create a massive 4G network. Remember guys, still a year until approval and then probably start seeing changes months after that.

I wonder if the FCC will will AT&T not have to change the plans for users that don't want to. I'm not sure exactly how the VZW/Alltel went but I know many former Alltel users still have Alltel plans. I'm not sure if they will eventually have to switch or if they can keep it as long as they want. I'm pretty sure AT&T will have to make concessions in order for the deal to go through. All we can do is wait and see.
    03-22-11 09:04 AM
166 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD