That's not good for the consumer. AT&T already overcharges for their poor service. There are plenty of areas where both companies have poor performing towers. Without UMA, most customers will still suffer from poor reception.

What's next, Verizon buying Sprint?
    Oh man, I forgot about UMA. I hope we get to keep UMA.

Darn it. This looks more and more like a bad dream.

Prices going up, no UMA, no tethering, crappy Android support...
    03-20-11 02:28 PM
    Why does everybody think prices are automatically going to go up?
    Well, for starters, ATT's plans are higher than what I'm paying on T-Mo and I've also got two non-data BBs on my account.

Besides, these things are rarely for the benefit of the customer, although they'll tout that angle and pretend it will.
    03-20-11 02:31 PM
    T-Mobile's network is being built to max out HSPA+. They've been in transition to bump up the speeds from 14.1 to the eventual theoretic 128 before transitioning to LTE. I'm not sure if this will speed up or slow down this evolution. AT&T had maxed out their network some time ago and are behind speed wise to T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. There's more benefit for AT&T's customers than T&-Mobile's. Just more of a reason to help my dad get out of his contract with T-Mobile and sign up with Sprint.
    ATT is far from maxed out. All that needs to be done is a software upgrade to increase speeds. Their network is much larger than tmobiles so it takes more time & effort. Either way AT&T is still moving to true 4G(not the fake HSPA) so they can potentially have a great LTE network established soon. AT&T's plan wasn't to continue upgrading HSPA to it's max. They're switching to true 4G later this year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 02:32 PM
    Last sentence of the Press Release: The transaction is expected to close in approximately 12 months.
    03-20-11 02:35 PM
    Wow, this is so crazy. I've been with T-Mobile (happily) for 9 years now and have awesome grandfathered plans.

There goes my $62/mo bill for unlimited everything!

I really wonder what this merger means for us T-Mobile customers.....
    03-20-11 02:38 PM
    Customers will definitely be screwed by this deal...maybe not for the first year or so, but until your plan is phased out and you're forced to upgrade.

What happens now is that we get a drop in competition and rise in price...sucks
    03-20-11 02:41 PM
    Eeeks, my contract with TMO is up later this year
    03-20-11 02:43 PM
    Holy trees! I never saw this coming. That means AT&T will have the largest 4G network in the USA.
    Hahahaha!!!

-Stephen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 02:43 PM
    Yea...what happens the current TMO customers?

Better not take UMA away...
    03-20-11 02:47 PM
    Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
    I can't wait to see if VZW makes a move, Sprint?
    i hope they do!
    03-20-11 02:48 PM
    Well, for starters, ATT's plans are higher than what I'm paying on T-Mo and I've also got two non-data BBs on my account.

Besides, these things are rarely for the benefit of the customer, although they'll tout that angle and pretend it will.
    Anyone with an 8100, 8120, or 8220 falls under the category of not having to be required to have a Blackberry data plan with T-Mobile. AT&T requires all Blackberrys to have a Blackberry data plan. That's going to make some customers rates go up. I doubt the MyFavs plans will be grandfathered. Hopefully AT&T won't cripple T-Mobile Android devices. That will tee off a lot of T-Mobile customers. Lets not also forget that T-Mobile has a better overall variety of devices and phones than AT&T. I'm afraid to hear from my friends that still work for T-Mobile.
    03-20-11 02:49 PM
    so i guess no more commercials like this

03-20-11 02:59 PM
    What is this going to mean for current T-Mobile customers?
    03-20-11 02:59 PM
    I pay 79.99 with the even more plus plan .. They better let me keep what i want and only charge higher for the NEW people. I really need UMA also, they better not get rid of it. I honestly dont see why ATT would enable UMA on there network as well. Would be a very huge mistake to get rid of it
    03-20-11 03:06 PM
    AT&T- We own you!
    Btw i like my AT&T, it just means ill get coverage were AT&T may have lacked and T-mobile had coverage.
    Last edited by drethos; 03-20-11 at 03:15 PM.
    03-20-11 03:12 PM
    I pay 79.99 with the even more plus plan .. They better let me keep what i want and only charge higher for the NEW people. I really need UMA also, they better not get rid of it. I honestly dont see why ATT would enable UMA on there network as well. Would be a very huge mistake to get rid of it
    Flexpay customers alway recieved the boot from T-Mobile as the company changed to deposit based activations just like AT&T. Say goodbye to unlimited plans as well. And to boot, all of thoes people who jailbroke their iPhones are going to be thrown back with AT&T. That's a lot more iPhones coming back into AT&T.
    03-20-11 03:17 PM
    Chances are it means that once your contact is over, they will move you to a new pricing package

Rogers in Canada Sold all 807 Areacode numbers to TbayTel which is slowly moving all Rogers customers from their retention plans to new MUCH more expensive plans, ( 3 - 4 times the cost) and the only thing the consumers can do it to switch their numbers to other Area codes, and stay with rogers, they have NO other options.

as for Governments blocking this purchase, because Verizon and Sprint still exist I can't see how the government can block this sale for a monopoly, as they are not actually a monopoly, they are securing control over 1 technology, which is not the only technology, AT&T surely has the lawyers that can fight why this isn't a monopolistic move.

though it will certainly change the GSM landscape limiting what phones get developed and released
    03-20-11 03:22 PM
    Chances are it means that once your contact is over, they will move you to a new pricing package

Rogers in Canada Sold all 807 Areacode numbers to TbayTel which is slowly moving all Rogers customers from their retention plans to new MUCH more expensive plans, ( 3 - 4 times the cost) and the only thing the consumers can do it to switch their numbers to other Area codes, and stay with rogers, they have NO other options.

as for Governments blocking this purchase, because Verizon and Sprint still exist I can't see how the government can block this sale for a monopoly, as they are not actually a monopoly, they are securing control over 1 technology, which is not the only technology, AT&T surely has the lawyers that can fight why this isn't a monopolistic move.

though it will certainly change the GSM landscape limiting what phones get developed and released
    This is what I don't want to happen. I'm on the unlimited loyalty plan and it's very cheap in comparison to what other carriers off for the same service

Jeez, I'm pretty upset.
    03-20-11 03:26 PM

True but what does it mean for the TONS of people who are on the even more plus plan where we can leave at anytime but have to pay full price for phones. Does this mean i should hurry up in the coming months and go on the reg even more plan with the 2 year contract before the thing goes thru.
    03-20-11 03:26 PM
    AT&T- We own you!
    Btw i like my AT&T, it just means ill get coverage were AT&T may have lacked and T-mobile had coverage.
    Don't bet on it. Most T-Mo customers need either UMA or to roam on AT&T in rural areas as it is. Verizon is the only carrier that has a strong coverage base for rural and mountain areas in the Northeast.
    03-20-11 03:28 PM
    Seeing as how every single market between the carriers is an overlap, I don't see where this is a benefit to either carrier or their respective customers. There will have to be a divestiture of most of the overlaps, operated by a separate entity (T-Mobile Leftover Mobile?).

I have one T-Mobile device (Bold 9700) I use for certain projects, solely for taking advantage of UMA. Assuming I still have it in a year, and assuming this merger passes, I'm pretty sure I won't be fond of the outcome.
    03-20-11 03:28 PM
    This is what I don't want to happen. I'm on the unlimited loyalty plan and it's very cheap in comparison to what other carriers off for the same service

Jeez, I'm pretty upset.
    Totally in the same boat and upset as well
    03-20-11 03:29 PM
    Deutche Telekom have been offloading all their less profitable networks around the world, if its anything like the T-Mobile - Orange merger in the UK, prepare for a **** up of huge proportions when they start putting their roaming on and actually start to merge sites.

Good luck ! Lol
    03-20-11 03:30 PM
    Good by unlimited BB plan! I am looking to confirm if this affects Puerto Rico customers also...
    03-20-11 03:30 PM
    03-20-11 03:31 PM
166 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD