03-20-11 01:35 PM
    Just saw this!!

Yep WOW.
    03-20-11 01:37 PM
    Lol what happened to Sprint.

So now AT&T owns the largest network. They will be the only major GSM network. This is legal?
    03-20-11 01:41 PM
    Crap...less competition...higher prices. Hopefully the combined coverage will be a big plus.
    03-20-11 01:44 PM
    *darth vader voice*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    03-20-11 01:45 PM
    Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
    I can't wait to see if VZW makes a move, Sprint?
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 03-20-11 at 01:52 PM.
    03-20-11 01:48 PM
    Holy trees! I never saw this coming. That means AT&T will have the largest 4G network in the USA.
    03-20-11 01:48 PM
    Crap...less competition...higher prices. Hopefully the combined coverage will be a big plus.
    That's about the only good thing. However, T-Mobiles frequencies are higher than AT&T's which doesn't bode well for true LTE. Prices are definitely going to rise on both carrier/s.
    03-20-11 01:53 PM
    Holy trees! I never saw this coming. That means AT&T will have the largest 4G network in the USA.
    Sounds like strategic vision through acquisitions, if you ask me.
    03-20-11 01:53 PM
    so now customers will have to pay more to be the "largest" network
    03-20-11 01:58 PM
    Being an AT&T customer... I'm happy to see this. I've never had coverage issues, but I can see this only helping customers that may be on "fringe" areas.

With all that being said, please don't raise my rates AT&T!
    03-20-11 02:01 PM
    so now customers will have to pay more to be the "largest" network
    That's not good for the consumer. AT&T already overcharges for their poor service. There are plenty of areas where both companies have poor performing towers. Without UMA, most customers will still suffer from poor reception.

What's next, Verizon buying Sprint?
    03-20-11 02:03 PM
    That's about the only good thing. However, T-Mobiles frequencies are higher than AT&T's which doesn't bode well for true LTE. Prices are definitely going to rise on both carrier/s.
    Higher prices? Great thats just what we all need
    03-20-11 02:04 PM
    right i agree, customers lose i think while att and tmobile might gain
    03-20-11 02:05 PM
    Ah HELLZ no! They aren't taking my UMA away..... Will TMO still function as TMO?
    03-20-11 02:05 PM
    T-Mobile was always the carrier that wasn't scared to challenge the bigger carriers with lower prices for more product. With AT&T buying them, we'll see an end to that very quickly. This does not bode well for prices from everyone. However, if played right, this is a great opportunity for Verizon to take the reigns and dictate where LTE pricing should go (i.e. Lower and remain unlimited). Verizon now has the iPhone and that (like it or not) has leveled the playing field and finally given them all the tools they need to make big money. If they can play this right, they can bring in a lot of AT&T customers over to them by not nickel and diming everyone like AT&T will do. However, they need to realize that this sort of business plan is a long haul type plan and not an overnight black bottom line solution.
    big_time2 likes this.
    03-20-11 02:06 PM
    On the good side, I won't have to wait for TMo to get the Pearl 3G, and Tmo won't be sold to Sprint (what a clusterfork that would have been!) on the bad side, just about everything else.
    03-20-11 02:06 PM
    T-Mobile's network is being built to max out HSPA+. They've been in transition to bump up the speeds from 14.1 to the eventual theoretic 128 before transitioning to LTE. I'm not sure if this will speed up or slow down this evolution. AT&T had maxed out their network some time ago and are behind speed wise to T-Mobile's HSPA+ network. There's more benefit for AT&T's customers than T&-Mobile's. Just more of a reason to help my dad get out of his contract with T-Mobile and sign up with Sprint.
    03-20-11 02:11 PM
    Sounds like strategic vision through acquisitions, if you ask me.
    Yup, sure does. Should be a good thing. When they acquired Cingular, they kept all of Cingular's good features (rollover minutes ... nobody else had them at the time!). I was with Cingular at the time and wasn't happy with that news, as I'd had a less than satisfactory experience with AT&T a few years before that. But I really have had nothing to complain about since then, AT&T has been great for me.

Why does everybody think prices are automatically going to go up? As long as Verizon is around, AT&T will still need to be mindful of their rates to stay competitive. Just being the biggest network won't mean squat to customers if their prices are too out of whack with the other carriers.

Wow is right. Huge move.
    03-20-11 02:12 PM
    I guess that Deutsche Telekom is taking their marbles and going home.
    big_time2 likes this.
    03-20-11 02:14 PM
    Wow, that really blows chunks. I hope its a decades long transition and they'll just be a parent company for a while... or hopefully the feds will scuttle the monopolistic effort...
    03-20-11 02:19 PM
    Don't forget the important words "Subject to Government Approval".
    Fewer carriers means less competition
    Less competition leads to higher prices and fewer choices

As much as I dislike T-Mobile's "one off" 3G frequencies, I love their pricing, plans and UMA!

Not sure I am so thrilled today.
    03-20-11 02:23 PM
    Yup, sure does. Should be a good thing. When they acquired Cingular, they kept all of Cingular's good features (rollover minutes ... nobody else had them at the time!). I was with Cingular at the time and wasn't happy with that news, as I'd had a less than satisfactory experience with AT&T a few years before that. But I really have had nothing to complain about since then, AT&T has been great for me.

Why does everybody think prices are automatically going to go up? As long as Verizon is around, AT&T will still need to be mindful of their rates to stay competitive. Just being the biggest network won't mean squat to customers if their prices are too out of whack with the other carriers.

Wow is right. Huge move.
    Because AT&T will have to justify their expenditures of obtaining T-Mo. They now become the only nationwide GSM carrier. The two providers have different GSM & HSPA+ frequencies. At some point there will need to be an assimilation of one set of frequencies for both GSM & HSPA+.

T-Mobile's market has been value based pricing, pushing the technological envelope ( UMA, 1st to push Android, Sidekick line). Being acquired by AT&T very well could stifle that.

The people I really feel for are the people that have grandfathered Suncom & MyFavs plans. Thoes plans are killer for savings for families, now it looks like thoes people are going to pay dearly.
    big_time2 likes this.
    03-20-11 02:24 PM
    It makes a lot more sense than the rumours of Sprint buying T-Mobile. I never understood a CDMA carrier purchasing a GSM carrier.

With AT&T buying T-Mobile, the network technology is not incompatible.
    03-20-11 02:25 PM
    Here's what it will look like. XD
    Pete6 and pumpkin24 like this.
    03-20-11 02:26 PM
166 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD