Hi everyone,

I'm going through the process of switching providers and want to know what data/apps/info I would lose when I switch. I'm switching to the same device (i.e. z10 to z10), but I will be going from one provider to another. What I want to understand is what will be lost (potentially or known fact)?

1. SMS Texts
    Will I be able to restore my SMS texts? I will have the same phone number, but since I was on a different carrier, does this transfer over?

2. Whatsapp conversations
    Since whatsapp is based on phone number, does this mean that it will retain the conversations I previously had?

3. Apps
    Because apps are primarily tied to my BBID, does this mean that these will remain once I enter my BBID on the new carrier phone? I assume the apps are the same regardless of carrier (except for those ones that are specific to that carrier; e.g. Rogers has their special apps; Bell has their own, etc.). My apps have all been downloaded through BBW (not sideloaded), although some were downloaded from BBW when I was in different countries.

4. BBM messages/conversations
    Will all of my individual and group conversations remain intact? I believe this is also tied to my BBID, so I would assume so, but not sure. Do I need to close out conversations in order for them to be saved? Does it just delete all the conversations, but the contacts remain?

5. Other
    I have installed quite a few apps and have grouped them into folders. Assuming the apps remain, will my categorization/grouping remain? Or will I need to go through that painful process again?

Also, what is the best process to make the device switch? Should I be restoring all my information first and then activating the phone? Or should I be activating the phone and then restoring data? FYI ... I am connected to my employer's BES server. Not sure if this plays a role, but thought I better provide that information.

Sorry, a lot of questions here, but hopefully easy to answer.
    11-14-13 10:45 AM
    For Whatsapp, it would depend on how they allow you to save chat histories. For example, on Android, I believe they let you save to a microSD card. I don't think phone number figures into it at all--it just matters for activation and actual usage.

Also, consider porting your existing number to your new carrier. It will make things a bit easier.
    11-14-13 10:59 AM
    From what carrier to what carrier are you switching from?

Sent from using CB Forums mobile app
    11-14-13 11:02 AM
    Thanks for the prompt response.

...Also, consider porting your existing number to your new carrier. It will make things a bit easier.
    Yes, definitely porting the number. That is why I was hoping that the conversations would remain intact for WhatsApp since it will be the same phone number.

From what carrier to what carrier are you switching from? ...
    I'm in Canada and switching from the Big Red to the Big Blue.
    11-14-13 11:17 AM
    If you're not changing devices, then there's nothing to worry about. Just leave the app installed, and switch carriers. After switching, just use the "Change My Number" feature inside the app (Settings -> Account -> Change My Number). This will migrate your account info and group memberships.

If you do opt for the delete/reinstall, we keep a daily backup of your chat history in the shared files area of your device. This backup will get restored on setup.
    raino likes this.
    11-14-13 11:47 AM
    If you're not changing devices, then there's nothing to worry about. Just leave the app installed, and switch carriers. After switching, just use the "Change My Number" feature inside the app (Settings -> Account -> Change My Number). This will migrate your account info and group memberships.

If you do opt for the delete/reinstall, we keep a daily backup of your chat history in the shared files area of your device. This backup will get restored on setup.
    Good suggestion for the OP, especially since s/he's considering a move between two quite compatible networks.
    11-14-13 11:57 AM
    Sorry ... to be clear, I am changing physical devices. That is, I will be returning the Red carrier z10 and getting a brand new Blue carrier z10. So it is not a simple swap of the SIM card, if I understand correctly. I will be getting a new Blue carrier device and SIM.

Are their networks compatible? I don't understand these things very well, but I thought they used different networks and weren't compatible.
    11-14-13 12:05 PM
    Sorry ... to be clear, I am changing physical devices. That is, I will be returning the Red carrier z10 and getting a brand new Blue carrier z10. So it is not a simple swap of the SIM card, if I understand correctly. I will be getting a new Blue carrier device and SIM.

Are their networks compatible? I don't understand these things very well, but I thought they used different networks and weren't compatible.
    If by Red and Blue you mean Rogers and Bell, their Z10s are the same model--exactly compatible. So if you can, keep the current Z10 you have. You'd need to get it unlocked to use it on the new network, but that's much cheaper than buying a new Z10.
    11-14-13 12:17 PM
    Hi everyone,

I just thought I would come back and update this thread in case someone in the future undergoes the same process and perhaps has similar questions. Here is what I encountered:

1. SMS Texts
    Surprisingly to me, my SMS texts were restored. I thought I may lose them even though I had the same phone number. I figured that since it was a different carrier, it would not have restored.

2. Whatsapp conversations
    All the whatsapp conversations were retained. However, I am not able to view pictures that were sent, but I believe this is because my media card was encrypted in the Big Red device. I am going to format it and see if I am able to get them back.

3. Apps
    It appears all the apps have been brought over to the new device. I haven't had a chance to test all of them, but it appears that I may have lost some of the saved achievements. I just opened up Real Racing 3 and it appears to be going through the painful additional download process. i guess that means i've lost all my fun money.

4. BBM messages/conversations
    The majority of the group chats were restored, but I lost all of the individual conversations I had in progress. Not sure why that is. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I can never understand why it is so hard to save and restore these conversations.

5. Other
    This was also a pleasant surprise. All of the folders and groupings I had, remained intact. I didn't have to re-group which I was happy to see.

Just a side note. I attempted to restore my backup about 3 times before it finally completed successfully. I don't know if it was an issue with Link or the connection, but the first couple times, it didn't restore everything. On the third try, which I commenced before going to bed, it completed successfully while I was asleep. The only hiccup (and very minor) is that for some reason it created a new alarm and it decided to go off around 4am in the morning. haha. When I looked at the alarm setting, it did have the right time that I had set previously (which was around 8am), so I have no clue why it went off at 4am. I did notice that during one of the other restores, the alarm had gone off in the late evening. Seems it isn't an isolated incident but some random glitch.

So overall, the transition between devices, while not smooth, had a positive outcome. However, if anyone can tell me how to restore my individual BBM conversations, I would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this may help others.
    11-18-13 12:31 PM
    I believe you can do a full backup using BlackBerry link with your current device, than do a restore with your new one.

It should be that simple, the one thing to look out for will be to make sure you have the same OS version on both phones, so if your current Z10 as been upgraded to the latest 10.1.0.1791 you'll want to make sure your new Z10 has the same OS or newer before doing the restore.

If you have ported android apps, you might lose the info and have to re-install/sideload those ported apps, the info collected will be lost.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 12:43 PM
    I'm doing the same thing: Z10 to Z10, ATT to Verizon. Got sick of waiting for the 10.2 update from ATT and my wife's Z10 just seems "better". I'll let everyone how it goes, looking forward to saving $60 per month by not having 2 carriers and 2 plans!
    03-21-14 09:19 AM