First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Anyways, I have the Blackberry Curve 9360. However, I want to switch to an older phone that is not a Blackberry (the MOTOROKR, yes, a phone from around 2007). But I believe I have a Blackberry plan (with T-Mobile).

Will I be able to just put my SIM card in the other phone and have everything work right (basically only need texting, calling and internet), or is there more to it than that (from browsing the site, something such as calling TMO and having them change it)? Or am I stuck with the Blackberry till the plan expires?

Any help is appreciated.
    06-17-12 06:59 PM
    It actually depends on the service that the carrier provides. Like for myself, I am on unlimited Data plan and BIS as add-on. Even when the SIM is plugged into a non-BB phone, I am still able to use the Internet plan.
    06-17-12 07:20 PM
    The internet may not properly work but there would be no interruption in talk or text. You should be safe.
    06-17-12 09:29 PM
    You just need to contact your service provider and ask them to change the provisioning on your data plan.

I have recently done exactly that for my wife. She had a new Galaxy S3. She hated it within a week and went a bought another Blackberry (no persuasion needed), O2 changed the smartphone data plan to a Blackberry one and off you go.
    06-18-12 12:40 AM
    Afaik,there should be no problem at all. You can also enjoy surfing using the other phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 12:48 AM
    It actually depends on the service that the carrier provides. Like for myself, I am on unlimited Data plan and BIS as add-on. Even when the SIM is plugged into a non-BB phone, I am still able to use the Internet plan.

Same here I have both BIS and a normal internet plan best of both worlds.

Not sure where you are OP but mine is with Orange - T-Mobile UK

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 04:34 AM
    When I had the HTC Radar, a WP phone, I could switch back and forth between it and my BB with no problem (T-Mobile US). Now that I have a Samsung Galaxy Blaze Android phone "on the side", this no longer works. If I want to switch to the Blaze I have to call T-Mobile and have them turn on "Android data," whatever that means. I have no idea why it should be different from WP but it is.
    06-18-12 04:50 AM
    When I had the HTC Radar, a WP phone, I could switch back and forth between it and my BB with no problem (T-Mobile US). Now that I have a Samsung Galaxy Blaze Android phone "on the side", this no longer works. If I want to switch to the Blaze I have to call T-Mobile and have them turn on "Android data," whatever that means. I have no idea why it should be different from WP but it is.

Never heard that before as all other phones apart from BB us normal internet/data. Things must be different in the US as over here in the UK aslong as you have a Data Bundle that's not BIS you can use it in any iphone,android,nokia,WP

06-18-12 04:56 AM
    Every time I want to switch I have to call them and ask them to change Android to BlackBerry data or BlackBerry to Android data. It takes up to 2 hours to switch over and start working properly.
    06-18-12 08:00 AM
    Every time I want to switch I have to call them and ask them to change Android to BlackBerry data or BlackBerry to Android data. It takes up to 2 hours to switch over and start working properly.
    Yes, that's my experience now, but with WP for some reason it was different. No call was necessary; it just worked. I don't know why WP and Android data would be handled differently.
    06-18-12 08:41 AM
    It could be Tmo changed. Also, BIS data isn't normal data. Try RDM on a BB if you don't believe me.
    06-18-12 09:28 AM
    AND they always ruin Visual Voicemail. So I just go in.
    06-18-12 09:30 AM
    Should work fine. I'm on t-mobile and use non-blackberries all the time with my BIS plan.

The only exception I'm aware of are t-mobile branded android phones, they'll nag you for an android data plan. (this doesn't affect unlocked/unbranded android devices).
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-18-12 at 10:59 AM.
    06-18-12 10:56 AM
    i was able to use a Moto Atrix back and forth with my BB without having to do this last summer. the droid was able to use my unlimited data just fine, drop in the sim and go. once i put it back in my BB, it registered right away. never needed to add anything or call anyone.

it wont however work on an iphone i think, you need to get an iphone data plan. but having a BIS add on will not be an issue when switching to any other phone.
    06-18-12 08:46 PM
    i was able to use a Moto Atrix back and forth with my BB without having to do this last summer. the droid was able to use my unlimited data just fine, drop in the sim and go. once i put it back in my BB, it registered right away. never needed to add anything or call anyone.

it wont however work on an iphone i think, you need to get an iphone data plan. but having a BIS add on will not be an issue when switching to any other phone.
    Goods news that.
    06-18-12 11:05 PM
    I am on Vodafone India BIS and I need to call Vodafone every time I switch to my Galaxy Note. Else the GPRS connection does not work.

They also do not activate non Blackberry plans and BIS together. So, I have activated a non Blackberry 3g plan and use 3g data for my Note.

06-18-12 11:45 PM
    It depends on your carrier but mostly when using a Blackberry data plan a regular data plan should work just fine with other devices...
    06-19-12 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD