Hello everyone,

I was an iPhone/iOS fan since the beginnings, but after the introduction of BlackBerry OS 10 I knew that my next device will be a BB10 device, beacuse iOS became really boring and annoying, and BBOS10 just seemed the future. In the past 1.5 years I followed happenings around BBOS10 and read almost everything about the Z10, so I knew what to expect. And now that prizes are lowered significantly, I finally purchased a white Z10. And I just love it.

The device, the OS, the ecosystem and the company have lots of flaws, but it's so different, the gesture navigation, the active frame view and the HUB makes all other mobile OS's outdated. Let's see the pros and cons with the eyes of a newcomer.

Software

Pros :

- QNX. Real-time OS, microkernel, full C API. My favorite part.
    - Desing is really good in some parts : Lock screen, HUB, Clock app, the black cascades bottom toolbar, the keyboard
    - Browser is really good. Fast, responsive.
    - HUB is an awesome mail client. Apple's mail on iOS and OSX is terrible.
    - Twitter and Facebook client's are okay
    - Docs to go seems fine
    - The cursor manipulator and the copy/paste functionality is pure awesomeness. Android and iOS cursor manipulation is terrible
    - App world app is okay,
    - Love the "popping up" animation on images
    - Love the slide-in from the right side options menu
    - Love tooltips for every button

Cons :

- Design is terrible in a lot of places :
    - The icons are terribly ugly, redesign and some unification would be nice. It's just like an android icon set. An android. The bottom of internal/external software design IMHO.
    - Pop-up windows. A window?!?! On a phone?!?! Annoying and ugly. They seem like from windows 1.0. A dropping-down header bar with options would be awesome.
    - Cascades gradient blue header bars. They don't fit the beautiful black bottom toolbars. Actually, crackberry apps's orange header would be really nice os-wise.
    - Cascades tab bar with the "moving" brick, and the brick buttons, so 90's. ( hmm, it seems that this will change in 10.3 )
    - The phone app is a design nuclear flash with the three thumbnail blocks on the top.
    - Music, Calculator app is ugly.
    - Maps is slow, and "view route" progresses forever ( maybe just in my country ) - absolutely useless.
    - Voice control is a joke - absolutely useless.
    - Battery indicator algorithm is terrible, I have 100% for a minute, then it immediately drops down to 97%. Drowning speeds up under 20%.
    - Android apps ( skype ) are terrible, ugly and laggy, but it's google's fault too.
    - In case of multiple selection selection boxes overlap in the HUB and that results in a thick blue line, ugly.
    - The red notification star is terrible.
    - The lock screen audio widget is terrible, music seems really a low profile thing in the OS, I don't like it.

Hardware :

Pros :

- Very good screen, it's like my iPhone's retina in brightness/quality, but much bigger, and I love that fact.
    - I like the frontal design, and the micro-sd card bay.
    - Handles data connection better than my iphone 4.
    - Camera is okay.

Cons :

- The back has a terrible design, and I hate plastic.
    - I had to work on the jack input hole with a toothpick to be able to plug in the factory earplugs!!! I heard this trick from other Z10 users
    - I had to fix the loose battery, I got an os reset every time I put down the phone harder
    - Terrible battery life
    - Average sound quality and noise reduction.

Ecosystem :

Pros :

- BBM seems okay and popular. I don't use it yet.
    - BES with the Balance mode seems okay, I don't think I will ever use it.
    - Developer portal is modern and fine.

Cons :

- App world is extremely ugly on the web. Everything is tiny and chaotic.
    - Vendor portal is ugly.
    - Poor quality and/or ugly apps in the app world.
    - Vendors are payed through PayPal. Are you serious? Is BB such a tiny company?
    - Mac link software is terrible. Almost nothing works.
    - No wireless syncing/backup solution
    - No music/media store. Why not make a deal with amazon?
    - QNX momentics IDE is Eclipse based, that's the bottom of all IDE's IMHO.

Company :

Pros :

- They still survive.
    - This Chen guy seems competent.
    - According to glassdoor.com the good-for-nothing manager layer is reduced and company is getting faster.
    - QNX founder is the second man after Chen. Hopefully this means that he is the tech lead, and programmers won't ruin QNX/anything.
    - BB OS 10 was a brave step, making BBM multiplatform also, and opening BES wider also.
    - Outsourcing device manufacture to foxconn is also a good decision.

Cons :

- Absolutely no marketing and advertising. Just formula 1, but that's just wasting money.
    - There still are managers

What should blackberry do to get back in business IMHO?

1. Advertisement and marketing. BB pours millions of dollars in formula 1 advertising, but nobody knows anymore what BB is and what BB has. They should stop it immediately and start pushing money in creative advertising, focusing on abilities other mobile OS-es doesn't have : gestures, hub, the awesome cursor manipulator, extreme fast browsing, android compatibility ( I hate it, but it's a huge attracting force ), BB should learn some bull****ting from apple, they should call BBOS10 the most advanced mobile operating system on the market, it's quite close to the truth.
    2. Better and sexy design both on software and hardware side.
    3. A working and good looking map app.
    4. BlackBerry OS 10 is a very long and indistinctive name, should be renamed to BBOS or QNX phone or something else
    5. An ultimate syncing solution for photos, docs, music files, etc between devices and desktop computers.
    6. In-house made clones of extremely popular apps from other platforms.
    7. App world, vendor portal redesign, and forgetting paypal.

And my personal wishes :

1. They have to push more feeling in the music playing part of the OS.
    2. I love both full touchscreen and physical keyboards - why not make full-sized touchscreen phones with a slide-out keyboard?
    3. Ability to lock screen with full swipe from top to bottom, and ability to show hub right with the screen unliock swipe to make flow complete.
    4. In 4-5 years mobile and desktop computing will unite. You will put your phone next to your monitor, keyboard, mouse and start desktop work. It started with Ubuntu phone, will be an easy step for microsoft, will be an easy step for apple, BB should prepare for this time also. QNX with the BB10 GUI would make an excellent desktop level workstation software with a few additions. A QNX-native development environment would be awesome instead of eclipse.

Anyway, I really like this OS, I would love to help BlackBerry somehow to make these changes, and I will continue to release my apps on BB10.
    06-16-14 12:27 PM
    what a nice well written post. I like some of the points you make.
    06-16-14 12:36 PM
    Very well written post, 90% of your complaints are being changed in 10.3!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:42 PM
    Great analysis.

Some of the flaws in the system open up such great possibilities for third-party app developers to work on.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:43 PM
    Man I like your thinking! Agree with most of your points.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-16-14 12:48 PM
    Thanks for the post OP. Definitely a very thorough review.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:50 PM
    6. In house made clones of extremely popular apps from other platforms.

That's the part I like most. BlackBerry should learn and right this with 10.3. For all I know, 10.3 without popular apps isn't gonna make any difference. Consumers need apps just as much as they enjoy a good OS.

Crackberry, this post should be on the front page.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442:296"the iPhone Nemesis"
    smart548 likes this.
    06-16-14 12:58 PM
    Thank you very much This is the result of 14 days of intensive BBOS10-ing

Rahul1234 : I'm looking forward to 10.3, I saw a lot of changes in design and maybe in every other part.

FireChestDotCom : blackberry should buy or hire dev teams for these apps
    FireChestApps likes this.
    06-16-14 12:58 PM
    Get yourself a OEM black battery door. You won't regret it.

Blackberry Z10 Battery Door Back Housing Rear Cover Black | eBay
    06-16-14 01:00 PM
    Get yourself a OEM black battery door. You won't regret it.

Blackberry Z10 Battery Door Back Housing Rear Cover Black | eBay
    Oreo Z10 lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-16-14 01:02 PM
    Thank you so much for an in depth review. I am sure that BlackBerry is making the right moves with 10.3 and listening to us users. I am sure a lot of fixes have come with the latest 10.2.1.3175. Android apps have become smoother and faster.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 01:51 PM
    Welcome to the club!
    06-16-14 03:43 PM
    Thanks for the writing

? Slicing using my ?
    06-16-14 08:02 PM
    Very well written and BlackBerry still needs to polish BB10 OS in many areas.

You should have gotten the black Z10 because I know you would have liked it better than the plastic back of the white Z10

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 08:26 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Great commentary OP.... welcome!!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 08:36 PM
    I read most of your thoughts. 1 point I did notice..you said in the phone app the 3 box's you can add people to that multiple I have 6 that I call frequently saves me from looking for them. I like that feature

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by silversmith75; 06-16-14 at 11:14 PM.
    06-16-14 10:47 PM
    No music store. I'm not sure I understand. I've bought the music I want from BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 09:52 PM