I've never heard of this being done but my thought is the remove the gps module in my 8330 for the wifi module essentially turning it into an 8320. Then installing an 8320 os to make use of it.
    My providers a bit of a ****** and doesn't offer unlimited data plans nor does it offer the 8320 and wifi would be much more useful then gps which I don't use at all.

Anyone have any idea about this?
    Thanks in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 05:34 PM
    Not possible.

Even if you somehow (unlikely) figured out how to swap the hardware, the software still would be needed so it wouldn't work.

The OS version are device specific. You cannot install the OS for an 8320 on an 8330. Plus the 8320 is a GSM device and the 8330 is a CDMA device. Those are different technologies.
    01-06-10 06:50 PM
    Couldn't installing a hybrid os, also involving swapping the gps folder with the wifi folder and replacing the vendor.xml file easily solve that issue?

01-06-10 09:00 PM
    Couldn't installing a hybrid os, also involving swapping the gps folder with the wifi folder and replacing the vendor.xml file easily solve that issue?

The 8330 doesn't have the hardware for wifi. You'd be better off upgrading to a BB that has wifi.
    01-06-10 09:26 PM
    I know it doesn't have the hardware.. In my first post I said I wanted to swap out my gps for wifi, giving me the hardware for wifi...
    Also my carrier doesn't have any other blackberrys available so I can't swap it for one with wifi, if I could I would.

01-07-10 01:07 PM
    Not possible.

(T)he 8320 is a GSM device and the 8330 is a CDMA device. Those are different technologies.
    So let me get this straight, you want to somehow get an 8320 main circuit board and put it in your 8330? How would that work? Once you put an 8320 board in your 8330, it is an 8320. All the hardware (GPS) is soldered on the main board, hence MM's comment about CDMA hardware vs. GSM hardware.

It won't work, give it up...

Again, your best bet is to purchase a CDMA blackberry like a Tour or Storm with wifi capability, THEN you might have a chance of getting it to work on your carrier. You aren't going to get wifi capability in an 8330, period.
    01-07-10 03:00 PM
    You aren't going to get wifi capability in an 8330, period.
    True that.
    01-08-10 03:07 AM
    I don't want to swap out the main circuit board, I want to swap the gps moduale out of my 8330 and swap in the wifi moduale from the 8320 (that's exactly what it says in my first post). I know an 8330 is cdma and an 8320 is gsm, so swapping the entire circuit board out of an 8320 turns my phone into and 8320 which ISN'T what I want to do.
    Again that's not what I said, I specifically said the moduale, not the entire circuit board.

If there's a diagram of and 8330 vs an 8320 the 8330 should have the gps moduale while the 8320 would have wifi moduale listed, probably in the same place. The only real difference should be the antenna, gsm vs cdma, but even those are likely similar and probably in the same place. And in order to use the wifi instead of gps a simple hybrid os would have to be made, simply by replacing the gps folder with a wifi folder from an 8320 os. In therory a few soders and a quick os hybrid should work just fine.

Does everyone understand?

01-08-10 10:25 AM
    Its NOT going to work and thats that. The 8320 software will NOT work with the 8330.
    01-08-10 10:39 AM
    No, not an option.

Worked in the Electronics field for over 17 years. The chip you would replace needs to be on a board that accepts the same circuitry. The two chips (no two chips are the same that perform different functions), would require different circuitry, and board components. Essentially, you'd have to trade out ALL of the electronics and mechanical parts to make it work. Essentially, you'd have an 8320. The cost involved and time would be ridiculous. Buy the phone you need...

But the definitive answer is NO, you can't do that.
    01-08-10 10:43 AM
    Oy!

THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-08-10 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD