I have a user who has suspected someone of logging onto their email account and sending out emails trying to obtain private information. A few days after this happened, they received some emails from BlackBerry. I am familiar with these emails, but not of what they are in regards to. The user does NOT have their work email set up on their BlackBerry, but received these emails to their work account.

The subject was "RIM_*longstringofcharactersandnumbers*", and the body was "This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server." and "BEGINETP ### *longstringofcharactersandnumbers*"

From this, I would suspect that someone has attempted to set up his email account on their BlackBerry.

I am already working elsewhere to search for the source of the original suspicious emails. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    08-17-10 01:44 PM
    That's the message you get if you install the BES version of DM on a BlackBerry that has BIS access. Since you said your friend does not use BES, if he has just installed a new version of DM, that would be a plausible, non-malicious explanation.
    08-17-10 01:49 PM
    He received the email on a Sunday, he would not have been in the office then. Also, I know he does use DM on his work PC, but he only syncs his Calendar (maybe Contacts). He says his work email is not connected to his BlackBerry at all in any form, but I will double check with him today.
    08-18-10 08:15 AM
    If he installed Desktop Manager on any PC (doesnt have to bee at work) and selected the Enterprise option (BES) during install it will cause those emails.
    08-18-10 08:45 AM
    These emails would have happened at the time of the install, correct? The user did not install DM at the time of these emails being received. Also, I have confirmed that they do not have their work email on their BlackBerry at all, only their personal email. They DO sync their work Outlook calendar on the BlackBerry though.
    08-18-10 09:01 AM
    Yes the fact that he is not on BES (work email) would be the reason those emails are happening. Even if he installed DM somewhere a few days prior the e-mails are not immediate. Ask him if he's installed DM anywhere the past week.
    08-18-10 09:05 AM
    No, he hasn't set up DM since the initial setup a few months ago.

Does it know of his work email address because it's on the same computer as his work outlook? I'm still confused as to how he would have gotten the emails to his work address if he did not link it in DM or on the BlackBerry itself.
    08-18-10 09:15 AM
    No, he hasn't set up DM since the initial setup a few months ago.

Does it know of his work email address because it's on the same computer as his work outlook? I'm still confused as to how he would have gotten the emails to his work address if he did not link it in DM or on the BlackBerry itself.
    Possibly... if you choose the Enterprise option, it asks which service you use (Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc), so if he set it up to sync with his Outlook (which is used with his work email account), then yes, the device could be "aware" of his work email address.

I don't really know enough to speculate much further...
    08-18-10 09:25 AM
    Possibly... if you choose the Enterprise option, it asks which service you use (Outlook, Lotus Notes, etc), so if he set it up to sync with his Outlook (which is used with his work email account), then yes, the device could be "aware" of his work email address.

I don't really know enough to speculate much further...
    Unfortunately if I asked the user if they chose the Enterprise option or not, they won't be able to tell me the answer. Just the fact that they did not set it up any time recently makes me think that someone ELSE has tried to do it.

EDIT: I may have solved the issue, nothing to do with BlackBerry.
    Last edited by terrrrrible; 08-18-10 at 11:04 AM.
    08-18-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD