I am a Crackberry Addict, BB developer and stockholder. As most of us are, I am saddened about RIM's latest news and holding on for better or worse!

I stand to lose MORE from my pride and invested time and effort in BB development projects than money. However, as a RIM stockholder I am also losing financially.

So I started this thread so all of us stockholders can share our stories and discuss options and best/worst case scenarios.

My story:

I invested $1000 in RIM back in February after it seemed to bounce and new CEO was in. At the time, it was $16.75 a share. Latest share price at $7.39, so I lost 60% of my investment in only a few months!

Now for me even if I lose my entire $1000 it is painful, but not so much as the pain I feel in my heart for seeing RIM getting killed and my efforts developing apps and supporting them all these years!

Share your crying in your beer stories here!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    06-29-12 05:14 PM
    Very tough call - if it was me (I do not own any RIM stock now) I would hold on. It is very emotional selling now (over 78 million shares traded today vs. a normal average of 20mm shares). If you sell now, you could always buy it back if you want to later.
    06-29-12 05:19 PM
    I see this as an opportunity right now. If you believe Rim will put out a product (BB10) that will give them a rebound than now is the time to buy. I believe Rim will survive and rebound. They are doing what they have to recover long term. When others bad mouth any company than is already under valued it is an chance to make money.
    I will be buying more shares next week.
    06-29-12 05:28 PM
    I think you'd be a fool to buy shares now, things can only get much worse in the next 6 months. If I were to buy RIM shares I would buy them in 5-6 months if I still believed the 2+ year old BB10 OS was relevant and was going to make the company a lot of money.
    06-29-12 05:48 PM
    I see this as an opportunity right now. If you believe Rim will put out a product (BB10) that will give them a rebound than now is the time to buy. I believe Rim will survive and rebound. They are doing what they have to recover long term. When others bad mouth any company than is already under valued it is an chance to make money.
    I will be buying more shares next week.
    You're obviously joking.... or at least I hope you are. If not, I hope you have lots of money and can afford to lose money on this stock.
    soren203 likes this.
    06-29-12 06:09 PM
    You're obviously joking.... or at least I hope you are. If not, I hope you have lots of money and can afford to lose money on this stock.
    RIM is a trade now not an investment anymore. It may move with the market once the price stabilizes.
    06-29-12 06:34 PM
    Holding for a long long time. Will go feast or famine (I'm starving right now )
    06-29-12 06:44 PM
    I guess this is my hard-earned lesson in stock investments. I was prepared to risk $1000 because I have others that are secure. But I risked MORE in time and energy to support RIM....

Only time will tell, but I hope they will restructure and focus and evolve into something better. If they can survive, there is still hope for the stock to eventually recover.

06-29-12 08:16 PM
    Wow amazing how how many make foolish comments all based on nothing more them what. Emotion? Anyone ever read reports? The bottom is $4 based on asset value and looking at the technicals it is no where near bottom. Well guess a fool (rim fanboys in this case) and his money are soon parted.
    I guess this is why the fans here are so vitriolic at times refusing to look at the sitrep for what it is not what we wish it was.
    06-29-12 08:40 PM
    I guess this is my hard-earned lesson in stock investments. I was prepared to risk $1000 because I have others that are secure. But I risked MORE in time and energy to support RIM....

Only time will tell, but I hope they will restructure and focus and evolve into something better. If they can survive, there is still hope for the stock to eventually recover.

Go to 'stockta.com' and 'barchart.com' and look at att symbol T. It pays good dividends and is trending up for long term. Heck of a lot better the RIMM at the moment.

Folks use your heads
    06-29-12 08:43 PM
    Holding for a long long time. Will go feast or famine (I'm starving right now )
    That is just dumd seriously if you invest without an entry and exit point you are set to fail. But then you folks here may be a mirror image of why RIMM is failing no real plan other then stick and carrot
    Last edited by Chinookman; 06-29-12 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    06-29-12 08:46 PM
    I am in this for the long run. This was never a short-term play, that is for gamblers. RIM will come back and we will be well paid for our ownership if this company.
    06-29-12 09:11 PM
    I am in this for the long run. This was never a short-term play, that is for gamblers. RIM will come back and we will be well paid for our ownership if this company.
    Then you may want to average out your losses by setting up a buy signal when it gets close to the bottom like $5 a share or so and then hold until the short term EMA average is crossing over the long term EMA average. Then you can look hard at pulling the trigger. Usually the 200 day and 50 day average for a long term snap shot. I'm a long player also hate shorts but RIMM is not on my radar just watch it due to vested interest in product and hope it will eventually turn around. but here lately just a lot of frustrated folks ....hopefully we will all recover eh? .....
    06-29-12 10:32 PM
    I hope you are right. It is like going to Vegas ready to drop $1000... go big or go bust. That is as much as I am willing to risk. No more RIM. Please use my money wisely.

... And you know, things did seem for a while to be going forward! Look at what we investors had hinting at some positive directions:

1. New CEO
    2. Blackberry World Conference
    3. Blackberry Jam
    4. BB10 device alpha
    5. Playbook LTE
    6. Some tentative release dates
    7. Increase in Playbook apps
    8. Cool TAT demos
    9. Cascades developer tools
    10. Good deals on existing phones
    11. Good news from over-seas markets
    12. Opening of Blackberry Stores

Am I such a huge fool to think things were turning around?!?!

Nobody denies it will be a tough road ahead, but I am patient and willing to wait for slow steady steps FORWARD. I thought that was happening... But the market doesn't wait for anyone.

06-29-12 10:37 PM
    That is just dumd seriously if you invest without an entry and exit point you are set to fail. But then you folks here may be a mirror image of why RIMM is failing no real plan other then stick and carrot
    No reason to be rude man. I know what my time period is, I have my own set limit of how much I'm willing to bet. If it turns out to be wrong then its wrong and I'll learn from it.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    06-29-12 10:55 PM
    Then you may want to average out your losses by setting up a buy signal when it gets close to the bottom like $5 a share or so and then hold until the short term EMA average is crossing over the long term EMA average. Then you can look hard at pulling the trigger. Usually the 200 day and 50 day average for a long term snap shot. I'm a long player also hate shorts but RIMM is not on my radar just watch it due to vested interest in product and hope it will eventually turn around. but here lately just a lot of frustrated folks ....hopefully we will all recover eh? .....
    Oh so technical. You would have left a fortune on the table with that strategy and Apple stock. And RIM is not begging for money. They are selling product and making the necessary adjustment to get through the turnaround. Sorry, I don't understand that average and s ap shot talk. Thought snap shot was firing a torpedo while on the run. Anyway I agree with your last, hopeing we all arw able to recover. I am looking 1-2 years out for signs of that.

Sorry no acronym for that strategy (but I expect someone will make a sarcastic one anyway...please don't let us down...)
    Last edited by Brianflys; 06-29-12 at 11:07 PM.
    06-29-12 11:03 PM
    One of the keys for success is to pay less for your stock then those in the know. The twins hold RIM stock at levels that would make any rational person sick, they want it back up NOW!

Next in line are those running the company, Heins owns nothing at this point, nor do many members of the board. But, the July Annual General Meeting is coming up on the 10th and the entire board will be elected, complete with 3.2 million shares of the company at an average of the last 60 days of trading. That average dropped nicely today!

I'll ask you a simple question, why would you say or do anything that would cause the price of the stock to go up prior to getting your 3.2 million shares on the cheap?

New Management Action Plan:
    You clean house, rationalize the business, take all of your hits up front first. (This happens all of the time). The stock drops, management is well supported here, no one defends the company and then the cycle begins again. How much do you want to bet that after July 10th, we will hear something positive? And so, you need to buy the stock for less than what Heins and Company pay for it, now you are in a position to benefit from some of the hard negotiations that have gone on for many months now.

Before you buy stock in any company research it to see at what price management is into the game at. A very large company like Apple or Exxon would not fall into this situation but a small company like RIM is easy to manipulate.
    06-29-12 11:10 PM
    Chinookman, maybe I read sarcasm in your advice, so if that was not the case, thanks for the advice. I am doing this simply, looking to hold RIMM for at least another couple of years and see what happens.
    Cheers!
    06-29-12 11:10 PM
    Chinookman, maybe I read sarcasm in your advice, so if that was not the case, thanks for the advice. I am doing this simply, looking to hold RIMM for at least another couple of years and see what happens.
    Cheers!
    Oh he was being sarcastic and rightly so because many of you are breaking the cardinal rule about stock investing.

Never get emotional about stock
    the_sleuth likes this.
    06-29-12 11:16 PM
    why can't someone here buy the stock based on contrarian concepts? sorry boys but I'm taking the advice of Rockerfeller, he bought when no one did and sold when everyone was buying. Buying any stock is no guarantee of future earnings. and a whole lot easier for my Rimm stock to double $8 to $16. versus buying one Apple share and hoping it goes from $500 to $1,000. in the end buy it if it makes sense for your portfolio and strategy, and if my money doubles i'll let all these naysayes post on my thread "i was correcto"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 12:06 AM
    I have maybe 8% of my money in RIMM. Alot of it through options. Some expire in 2014 so I am not that worried about those.

I am going to close my options positions that end in 2012 though. Most of them are out to 2014.

I'll also hold my stock to.

The stock market is acting ******** though. I'm just waiting to buy RIMM for less than the cash on it's books. I think things can really get that ******** with this one. Wall Street really is that stupid.
    06-30-12 12:07 AM
    Im guessing that people that invested in 2008 have all jumped off a building by now...
    06-30-12 12:16 AM
    I bought in Feb 2012 but patient for a turn-around for Feb 2013!

06-30-12 07:50 AM
    Gallery View - StockCharts.com - Free Charts

I think everyone will be surprised how low it goes in the next 6 months. I think $5 to $6 dollars.

RIMM has been a speculative investment since the first delay announcement of BBOS 10 device in December 2011. The pension funds and mutual funds dumped this stock back in June 2011 and completed it in Sept 2011 once the trend of deteriorating business was confirmed. Look at the table, these are huge volumes for which I speculate some hedge funds pickup shares at the expense of these professional money managers. Now the hedge funds are unwinding their positions. Volume will be declining as only small investors will buy here and perhaps new hedge funds gambling on sale of company. But the price can decline for a few more days until AGM on July 10th. Then the hedge funds will feed the media with stories speculating about RIM sale.

Look at the chart of Nokia as it's price action is ahead of where RIM will be by 1 or 2 quarters:
    http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?NOK

I don't think RIM will fall to $2 range but the percentage decline in the next few months will be similar.
    Selling volume did not reach it's peak (top 10 by volume):
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 06-30-12 at 08:34 AM.
    06-30-12 08:30 AM
    I have to wait until BB10 appears to have ANY hope of the stock coming back up to $16.75 which I spent.

Before BB10 I do not believe RIM will entice anyone to buy stock, there will be no upswing. They will have continuing losses while people wait to upgrade their phones.

Also, by the time BB10 does ship we do not know whether the market will have just moved on, and what competing phones will look like.

So my $1000 gamble in February 2012 which is now worth $400 may be worth $250 for a while, and if RIM can meet the deadline in Feb 2013 and there are good reviews, maybe then by Spring 2013 I will have back my $1000.

Meanwhile, if I had bought Apple in February 2012 at $400 a share I would have gained 50-75% during that climb up to the launch of iPad 3.

Proves once again, I should not buy based on emotion or what phone I use. But as a Blackberry developer I truly believe the BB10 OS has a solid future. It is more of a management and failure to deliver that is the problem.

06-30-12 11:02 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD